PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is Burglar Bill entitled to a shrine?

sidders
10-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Henry Vincent, a 37 year old traveller and inveterate burglar, was stabbed to death by the house owner he was trying to rob. Vincent took a screwdriver as a weapon but that was turned on him by the house owner and Vincent was killed outright.
Vincent's girl friend, parents and kids have set up a flower shrine opposite the house in which he died. They say he may have been a career criminal but he was a loving dad and a kind man to all of his friends and deserves the respect of a memorial and the anger of those who oppose the shrine is OTT.
This is the kind of story the Daily Mail thrives on. 'An Engishman's home is his castle, etc. The burglar was scum, a worthless person who should not be celebrated.'
Any sympathy out there for Burglar Bill?

tarquinbeech
10-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Henry Vincent, a 37 year old traveller and inveterate burglar, was stabbed to death by the house owner he was trying to rob. Vincent took a screwdriver as a weapon but that was turned on him by the house owner and Vincent was killed outright.
Vincent's girl friend, parents and kids have set up a flower shrine opposite the house in which he died. They say he may have been a career criminal but he was a loving dad and a kind man to all of his friends and deserves the respect of a memorial and the anger of those who oppose the shrine is OTT.
This is the kind of story the Daily Mail thrives on. 'An Engishman's home is his castle, etc. The burglar was scum, a worthless person who should not be celebrated.'

Not from me.....if anyone tries breaking into my house...they will be getting a machete to the face as a hello present...protect yourself, protect your family, protect your friends, protect your country....simple as.

Cue the "do~gooders" on here that say actually he was a decent guy, lack of care, lack of understanding, poverty, blah blah blah, if only we had more police etc etc

Trickytreesreds
10-04-2018, 06:27 PM

Nope.
He was a career pond life, who preyed on pensioners.
He was known to brag about it on social media, despite the devastation he caused. Everyone deserves to be safe in their own home. At that age, more so.

What gives this scum the right to rub everyone's nose in it, by covering other peoples property with their sympathy tokens, escapes me. Not that Pi keys respect other peoples properties anyway.
They have already been issuing death threats and vows of revenge. Who wants to see their hypocritical notes on the door step as well.
You want a shrine? Do it on your door step.

Had he broken into my place, his mate wouldn't have gotten out either. That's if they'd gotten past the dogs first I suppose.
But luckily my Waffen SS training will come in handy( thought I'd get that in, before the usual snowflakes do)

andy6025
10-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Good question.

Given that he brought a screwdriver to "defend" himself (or aid in his escape) and that he died by his own weapon then clearly was in the business of threatening harm to others and died in the process of doing so. In that sense I have far less sympathy in this death than I would had it been any of his victims. Nonetheless, any early death is a tragedy and not everyone had the same relationship with him as those he was robbing. In that case, he will be remembered by his family and friends for the much better relationship he had with them. I have no qualms with their grieving his death as anyone would. Is right across the street from the house he died robbing the most appropriate place for such a shrine? Probably not - it's rather insensitive to the people he was robbing and who now have to live with the fact that he/she/they killed him.

Trickytreesreds
10-04-2018, 06:43 PM

I have to hand it to you though Sid.

There's a **** storm brewing in the Middle East and the UN is virtually authorising military action.

Yet you drag a Pi key slime balls, flowergate into the fray over it. All in the name of having a go at right wingers and the Daily Mail. You should move to the North pole, snowflake heaven for you.
Lets hope you're not the Pi key robbing list next, whilst the rest of us stock up on beans and 7 up

MagpieTony
10-04-2018, 06:45 PM
It's a no from me. The family have the right to grieve and mourn the loss but not in the face of the family and community that he had chosen to victimise. They should lament the life and death of their family member in their own private way. There will be very little public sympathy for him and the act of setting up any sort of shrine in the face of his victims is only going to be seen as provocative. The innocent victims do not need a reminder of the crimes committed against them and the subsequent danger that they faced. They will have their own emotional trauma to deal with.

Elite_Pie
10-04-2018, 07:03 PM
It's a no from me. The family have the right to grieve and mourn the loss but not in the face of the family and community that he had chosen to victimise. They should lament the life and death of their family member in their own private way.

Very well put Tony. Just what I wanted to say, but you said it better.

MAD_MAGPIE
10-04-2018, 07:33 PM
It's a no from me. The family have the right to grieve and mourn the loss but not in the face of the family and community that he had chosen to victimise. They should lament the life and death of their family member in their own private way. There will be very little public sympathy for him and the act of setting up any sort of shrine in the face of his victims is only going to be seen as provocative. The innocent victims do not need a reminder of the crimes committed against them and the subsequent danger that they faced. They will have their own emotional trauma to deal with.

Is the correct answer. The pensioner should not have been put in that position in the first place and should not have to go back to his home to see a shrine of flowers outside. The first thing that should happen is for it to be removed.

It must not be forgotten that the pensioner was the victim in this case, and will no doubt be suffering like the victim of any crime committed against them as you say. As for the burgular he signed his own death warrant when he decided to enter the property.

irish_pie
10-04-2018, 09:44 PM

The filth got exactly what he deserved... he didn't bring the screwdriver with him to change the batteries in his torch... fair play to the guy for defending himself and his family...we had a case here where a traveler broke into the house of my neighbor who shot at him with his rifle and got him in the leg.... and guess what... my neighbor got dragged through the courts for it, had to pay a huge fine to the scumbag who was trying to rob him and only narrowly avoided jail time! you could not make it up

kill_the_drum
10-04-2018, 10:24 PM
I accept there will be people mourning for him, but the shrine from what I’ve read is more to stir up a reaction. He isn’t a victim. The guy that defended his life is. He hasn’t returned to the house for fear of a revenge attack!
What I detest is the assessment of ‘reasonable force’ in these cases.
You’re woken at 3am by an unknown intruder potentially there to harm you and your family. It’s pitch black your adrenaline must be through the roof, and you’re supposed to be able to judge ‘reasonable.’
The second you break into someone’s house, you should forefeit any human rights!

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
10-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Can’t disagree with any of the above comments, this person was scum and chose his lifestyle instead of going out and doing a proper days graft.
The world will be a better place without these thiefs/scoundrels/scumbags

And to think when Sid was a young un they could even leave their doors unlocked !

tarquinbeech
10-04-2018, 11:41 PM
The filth got exactly what he deserved... he didn't bring the screwdriver with him to change the batteries in his torch... fair play to the guy for defending himself and his family...we had a case here where a traveler broke into the house of my neighbor who shot at him with his rifle and got him in the leg.... and guess what... my neighbor got dragged through the courts for it, had to pay a huge fine to the scumbag who was trying to rob him and only narrowly avoided jail time! you could not make it up

I had a good friend and business colleague, Mick the Hat from Canning Circus, a mate of Rash the Smash Harkouk, owned several properties on Ilkeston Road and Bobbersmill......exactly the same thing happened, spotted 2 burglars robbing his warehouse, grabbed a knife from his can**** and stabbed one in the leg......the burglar bled to death at the Queens...... and Mick ended up in court charged with manslaughter....wtf?

Sometimes the British Law is an ass....common sense beats Common Law every time

tarquinbeech
10-04-2018, 11:42 PM
I accept there will be people mourning for him, but the shrine from what I’ve read is more to stir up a reaction. He isn’t a victim. The guy that defended his life is. He hasn’t returned to the house for fear of a revenge attack!
What I detest is the assessment of ‘reasonable force’ in these cases.
You’re woken at 3am by an unknown intruder potentially there to harm you and your family. It’s pitch black your adrenaline must be through the roof, and you’re supposed to be able to judge ‘reasonable.’
The second you break into someone’s house, you should forefeit any human rights!

Spot on

irishpete
11-04-2018, 05:50 AM
Fecking typical .Always hard done by no matter what.You get pissed off hearing sayings like"he was a lovely boy,a great dad"etc.Scum of the earth & the legal system just pats them on the back.
I'd go as far to say the Police would love to see Vigilante groups giving some good hidings on the quiet.

sidders
11-04-2018, 07:27 AM
I love the way some posters on here automatically assume that my left wing credentials mean I will sympathise with the burglar. Not so. I agree that building a shrine opposite the scene of the crime is provocative in the extreme. Taking the shrine apart was the correct action. Maybe there was no need to glory in it by crushing it to pieces though.
The difference between the pensioner who stabbed Vincent to death and the guy Tarquin mentions is that Osborn-Clark didn't import a weapon to the scene of the crime which I believe puts the crime into another perspective.

SmiffyPie
11-04-2018, 08:22 AM
The difference between the pensioner who stabbed Vincent to death and the guy Tarquin mentions is that Osborn-Clark didn't import a weapon to the scene of the crime which I believe puts the crime into another perspective.But the pensioner didn't stab Vincent to death. Vincent died of a stab wound received a struggle.

Trickytreesreds
11-04-2018, 08:24 AM
I love the way some posters on here automatically assume that my left wing credentials mean I will sympathise with the burglar. Not so. I agree that building a shrine opposite the scene of the crime is provocative in the extreme. Taking the shrine apart was the correct action. Maybe there was no need to glory in it by crushing it to pieces though.
The difference between the pensioner who stabbed Vincent to death and the guy Tarquin mentions is that Osborn-Clark didn't import a weapon to the scene of the crime which I believe puts the crime into another perspective.

What utter tosh. At no point did you slate the Pi key for his actions. But felt the need for the above quote, having a go at the mail and right wingers.
I think 99% of folks wouldn't have been needed to ask their feelings on this, as we would all have done the same thing.
What would the Guardian have suggested? A firework display and memorial garden for a misunderstood minority? A setting up of a charity for criminal widows, with a poppy day?
You do love your sly political threads Sidney, at least have the balls to admit it was your original intention. It is only the reaction of every post on this thread that has blown your game out of the water.
Get a life FFS.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
11-04-2018, 09:28 AM

What utter tosh. At no point did you slate the Pi key for his actions. But felt the need for the above quote, having a go at the mail and right wingers.
I think 99% of folks wouldn't have been needed to ask their feelings on this, as we would all have done the same thing.
What would the Guardian have suggested? A firework display and memorial garden for a misunderstood minority? A setting up of a charity for criminal widows, with a poppy day?
You do love your sly political threads Sidney, at least have the balls to admit it was your original intention. It is only the reaction of every post on this thread that has blown your game out of the water.
Get a life FFS.

You have just pulled Sids pants down and showed everyone his Arsenal !

adlestropred
11-04-2018, 11:26 AM
My Grandad was attacked by someone in his own home which was prominent in the media at the time. He overcame the intruder with fists plus kicks & tied him to a chair with a rope until the Police came.

Old_pie
11-04-2018, 12:00 PM
My Grandad was attacked by someone in his own home which was prominent in the media at the time. He overcame the intruder with fists plus kicks & tied him to a chair with a rope until the Police came.

Your Grandad did very well, and even better for avoiding the temptation to take the trussed intruder to the nearest cliff or river edge and push him over.

Trickytreesreds
11-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Where was he Basie, Rourke's drift?

Elite_Pie
11-04-2018, 12:17 PM

If that happened today, Tory policing cuts would mean he'd be tied to the chair for two days!

Mapperleypie
11-04-2018, 12:27 PM
If that happened today, Tory policing cuts would mean he'd be tied to the chair for two days!

You would need to ensure the rope is strong & stable.

adlestropred
11-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Where was he Basie, Rourke's drift?

When it happened he was 65 & the assailant 35. He did not order his life as though that sort of thing happened every day & didn't as you probably do arm himself, have dogs & turn his house into a fortress. At first he made sure that his wife & two visiting daughters were out of the way ,tried to negotiate & then only resorted to violence when he had to with any means at his disposal. Shortly afterwards he contracted angina although it was never sure that was a result of his exertions. Thankfully he lived until he was well into his eighties.

Trickytreesreds
11-04-2018, 02:04 PM
When it happened he was 65 & the assailant 35. He did not order his life as though that sort of thing happened every day & didn't as you probably do arm himself, have dogs & turn his house into a fortress. At first he made sure that his wife & two visiting daughters were out of the way ,tried to negotiate & then only resorted to violence when he had to with any means at his disposal. Shortly afterwards he contracted angina although it was never sure that was a result of his exertions. Thankfully he lived until he was well into his eighties.

1. He did a rescue run first
2. he did a Kofi Annan, negotiated/came up with sanctions
3. Decided a tactical team was the only way, so disarmed the assailants.
4. Rendered him inert and restrained in a comfortable position
5. Sent for the justice department.

I call total bollox. You made it up didn't you Basie, or saw it in a film?

Is there a remake, like Assault on Care home 13?

Steward
11-04-2018, 03:27 PM
I would go and remove them, and evertime anything was placed there

adlestropred
11-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Just what I'd expect from you a violent phantasist who hates everything who's courage has never been tested. It is perfectly true - he just told them to get in the bedroom - no time for tactics ,just wits. - took 20 twenty minutes of struggle before he cried for mercy - then the rope & calling the Police. Vacinity - Sea Lane Ingoldmells - 1954ish.

tarquinbeech
11-04-2018, 03:40 PM
As a slight segue.....US schoolteachers are to be issued with 16 inch baseball bats to deter shooters armed with assault rifles and defend schoolkids from being massacred.....problem solved then....the National Gun Lobby can now continue to make billions in profits without risk of further damage to the bottom line.

Baseball bats, wtf.....I assume this is not a delayed April Fools joke by the BBC?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43724886

dam617
11-04-2018, 03:44 PM

The owner of the fence just needs to report criminal damage to the Police and they would spring into action.........................hahahaha hahahaha.
Just like they did when Big Chief Diddicoy issued a thinly -veiled threat to Mr Osbourn-Brooks.

dam617
12-04-2018, 03:35 AM
I would go and remove them, and evertime anything was placed there

I've just listened to the 4am news and there's been a statement released by the police.

Did they ask the travellers to stop placing flowers as it is intimidating the residents and could lead to confrontation?

Or

Warn the public to stop removing them?

Have a guess.

Go on....................

Get ready for a shrine larger than Princess Diana's.
Pray For Pie Key.

There will be commemorative gold roof tiles made and will be available for sale to OAPs at a reasonable cost of 10 grand each - or your life savings if the 'whole roof' needs doing.
It's what Henry would have wanted.

irishpete
12-04-2018, 04:46 AM
The barstewards over here have more rights than me or you.Scum yet we have people who defend/stick up for them.
A bit of advice for everybody on here.NEVER back down to them if you ever come across them.They can't handle it.They try to intimidate you,get in yer face to see if your weak & back down.We joke on here about Mansfield fans being "inbreds"well these feckers are.

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 07:28 AM
I've just listened to the 4am news and there's been a statement released by the police.

Did they ask the travellers to stop placing flowers as it is intimidating the residents and could lead to confrontation?

Or

Warn the public to stop removing them?

How could the police ask the travellers to stop laying flowers? What laws are being broken?

Trickytreesreds
12-04-2018, 07:43 AM
How could the police ask the travellers to stop laying flowers? What laws are being broken?

Pinning them to someones fence without permission for a start.
Criminal damage/littering

Of course, I've never known a pikey not to respect personal property before.

irishpete
12-04-2018, 07:44 AM
The Police won't let the pensioner live in his own house at the minute for his own good.That was reported this morning on Sky

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Pinning them to someones fence without permission for a start.
Criminal damage/littering

Of course, I've never known a pikey not to respect personal property before.

Pinning stuff to a fence? That’s against the law is it? I had better take down the trellis I’ve got pinned to my neighbour’s fence, the cops might be round in a bit.

As for littering, that means you would ban all floral tributes? Good luck in enforcing that in Liverpool this weekend.

Elite_Pie
12-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Pinning stuff to a fence? That’s against the law is it? I had better take down the trellis I’ve got pinned to my neighbour’s fence, the cops might be round in a bit.

You've no need to worry. The police will be far too busy stopping kids playing ball games in parks.

Trickytreesreds
12-04-2018, 08:31 AM

As for littering, that means you would ban all floral tributes? Good luck in enforcing that in Liverpool this weekend.

Don't be a **** all your life chubbs.
If someone sprayed Corbyn is a ****er on their side of your fence, you'd be going ballistic. It's illegal to mess with anyone else's property. I don't care whether it's flowers or dog ****.
To watch that scum, clamber all over a wall and vandalise that fence was illegal. It's provocation, especially after the old bugger is being protected away from his home, because of death threats.

The force said it would need to receive a complaint from the owner of the fence on which the shrine was erected to take action.

One neighbour suggested the shrine was placed opposite the Osborn-Brooks's home to 'antagonise' them.

She said: 'He [Vincent] did not die here. He died in hospital. You should put it where he lived. They should not have a tribute to him here. It should have been at the burglar's house.'

The tributes had been attached to a fence surrounding a property owned by 78-year-old Saverimuthu Augustine.

Mr Augustine said: 'When I heard they were on my fence, I was annoyed. I do not appreciate people putting them there.

Neighbour Theresa Webb, 43, said of the shrine: 'It was inappropriate, poor taste really. You're thinking, 'how long will it be up there?' I'm relieved it's down.'

Mr Osborn-Brooks himself has been forced into hiding after receiving death threats following the confrontation.

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Graffitiing a fence could well be classed as criminal damage. Attaching flowers isn’t.

To answer the question, no laws are being broken by the people laying the flowers, which is why they are being allowed to do it. The police are there to uphold the law as it is not how you would like it to be.

Does all this upset you more than the huge cuts made to police budgets and numbers in the last 8 years?

for*sttown63
12-04-2018, 08:54 AM
For years these 'people' have been intimidating decent folk and abusing the law....in my line of work I've come across so many and all have the same attitude....get something for nothing,get one over you,flout any law that is put in front of them and,you're right Irish,if you stand up to them they don't like it....a few years ago in Newark,where there used to be a very big contingent,a lot of the locals had had enough and 'visited' the travelling community one night to 'air their views'.....there still is a collection of the scum and they still cause the most trouble in the area but the police don't seem to be particularly concerned!

Trickytreesreds
12-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Graffitiing a fence could well be classed as criminal damage. Attaching flowers isn’t.

To answer the question, no laws are being broken by the people laying the flowers, which is why they are being allowed to do it. The police are there to uphold the law as it is not how you would like it to be.

Does all this upset you more than the huge cuts made to police budgets and numbers in the last 8 years?

Don't shirk it chubbs, they are aren't laying flowers, they are vandalising someones fence. That's criminal damage. The fact its a 78 year old mans fence, who has already highlighted his distress should be enough. The whole situation is a breech of the peace.
The scum pikeys have invaded a pensioners home, thinking it was a easy victim. Karma has occured, yet the whole community has become outraged and in fear of reprisals. The "display" is an act of defiance, to intimidate and their refusal to apologise, whilst clinging to the victim stance, is disgusting.

Cuts to Police budgets do upset me. As much as the money we waste on the EU gravy train and Foreign aid free for all. Not to mention our over commitment to defense spending, that many members shirk and expect protection.

JoePass
12-04-2018, 09:58 AM

So why where the flowers for Lee Rigby removed ? Another moronic PC driven cop and they wonder why people have zero confidence in them.

sidders
12-04-2018, 10:26 AM
All Notts County fans are scum who thieve and vandalise whenever they attend away games. Their language is disgraceful and they're smelly gitts who wear rags for clothes.

How does that feel? It's patently not true but it might go some way to helping you understand why so many contributors to this fred are out of order.
Just like the anti-Muslim freds that appear from time to time, it's a case of one size fits all. Consign people to the scrapheap and you will finish up with scrapheap people who fulfil your expectations.

irishpete
12-04-2018, 10:26 AM
It's not even the scene where he died.If the fence belongs to somebody they can do what they like.

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 10:33 AM
So why where the flowers for Lee Rigby removed ? Another moronic PC driven cop and they wonder why people have zero confidence in them.

A “memorial” was removed earlier this year by the local council because, after consulting with local residents, it was decided that it was unsightly.

So nothing to do with the law or “PC” or cops then.

crazyfists
12-04-2018, 11:28 AM
I think it's disgusting a man has been driven from his home for defending himself and his property. If you go armed and break into someone's house then sorry but you've brought any results on yourself and I'm really glad he didn't get charged. It might not be breaking the law but the "Shrine" should be ripped down everytime something gets put up.

Also in regards to travellers then they set up at lots of sites near me in Leeds and they are a ****ing menace, wreck the place, have no respect for anyone else then do the same thing about 400 metres away. You've got three people on this thread who have first hand knowledge and say they're a right set of cnuts so anyone else on here defending their rights can't have much to do with them. Let them move in next door to these defenders and in a week they'll be begging them to leave.

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 12:58 PM
I think it's disgusting a man has been driven from his home for defending himself and his property. If you go armed and break into someone's house then sorry but you've brought any results on yourself and I'm really glad he didn't get charged. It might not be breaking the law but the "Shrine" should be ripped down everytime something gets put up.

Also in regards to travellers then they set up at lots of sites near me in Leeds and they are a ****ing menace, wreck the place, have no respect for anyone else then do the same thing about 400 metres away. You've got three people on this thread who have first hand knowledge and say they're a right set of cnuts so anyone else on here defending their rights can't have much to do with them. Let them move in next door to these defenders and in a week they'll be begging them to leave.

1. A man killed a burglar in his house by stabbing him with his own weapon.
2. The people who implement the law have decided he was perfectly within his rights to do so.
3. The same people have decided that relatives and friends of the burglar have the same rights to put down floral tributes without interference as everyone else.
4. Travellers and every other group should be subject to the same laws as everyone else, with the same penalties if they transgress.

I would guess also that anyone who kills a well known criminal with a lot of family connections would be prevented from or choose not to return home within a few days of the incident, regardless of the background of the criminal. He may well never be able to return home safely.

dam617
12-04-2018, 01:04 PM
A “memorial” was removed earlier this year by the local council because, after consulting with local residents, it was decided that it was unsightly.

So nothing to do with the law or “PC” or cops then.
If the police consulted the residents in this case and they wanted it stopping what do you think would happen?
PC Nothing.

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 01:59 PM
If the police consulted the residents in this case and they wanted it stopping what do you think would happen?
PC Nothing.

As I said it was the local council who removed that “memorial”, 5 years after the event.

I’m not sure the coppers conduct opinion polls when trying to do their job.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
12-04-2018, 04:56 PM
You do realise bigfatpie is a traveller don’t you, he makes a living selling lucky heather and reading palms.
My only experience of these cavemen type people was when they encamped for a week near my work place a few years ago, we would always see various members male & female crouching in the same spot for the whole week they were there, vicious dogs always roaming around aswell, when they eventually left I went to explore the spot where there always seemed to be going to, I honestly didn’t expect what I saw, dozens of piles of human excrement and disgarded tissues !
They aren’t human !

irishpete
12-04-2018, 05:20 PM
You do realise bigfatpie is a traveller don’t you, he makes a living selling lucky heather and reading palms.
My only experience of these cavemen type people was when they encamped for a week near my work place a few years ago, we would always see various members male & female crouching in the same spot for the whole week they were there, vicious dogs always roaming around aswell, when they eventually left I went to explore the spot where there always seemed to be going to, I honestly didn’t expect what I saw, dozens of piles of human excrement and disgarded tissues !
They aren’t human !

They had a Setee in a car park over here cut a small hole in it used it as a toilet.They got moved on eventually & had filled it with sheite.The Council workers didn't know until they came to lift it.To make matters worse, it was opposite a Police Station

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
12-04-2018, 05:39 PM
They had a Setee in a car park over here cut a small hole in it used it as a toilet.They got moved on eventually & had filled it with sheite.The Council workers didn't know until they came to lift it.To make matters worse, it was opposite a Police Station

Oh Jesus !

Good job I didn’t see that settee as I’m one of those that always puts a shifty hand down in the cushions to see if there’s any spare change been left !

irishpete
12-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Oh Jesus !

Good job I didn’t see that settee as I’m one of those that always puts a shifty hand down in the cushions to see if there’s any spare change been left !

If you had put your shifty hand down it, you would have lost the "f" on your hand.XD

BigFatPie
12-04-2018, 05:57 PM
I’m gonna do that settee thing for the World Cup. Will tell the missus it must be the drains....