PDA

View Full Version : Joey Barton for Notts.

CheltenhamPie
11-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Just read that Joey Barton has been linked with a number of clubs on his return to football following his lengthy ban for gambling on football matches.
Among the clubs listed are Notts, Villa, Derby and Cardiff. What's the betting he joins us.

countygump
11-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Just read that Joey Barton has been linked with a number of clubs on his return to football following his lengthy ban for gambling on football matches.
Among the clubs listed are Notts, Villa, Derby and Cardiff. What's the betting he joins us.

Beat you by a minute.

CheltenhamPie
11-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Did you!

CheltenhamPie
11-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Yes you did.

BigFatPie
11-04-2018, 09:36 PM
If only he was a striker. Another midfielder to add to the 110 we already have?

Elite_Pie
11-04-2018, 09:42 PM
What's the betting he joins us.

Joey's keeping quiet on which club he joins. He doesn't want the odds to shrink before he lumps on.

Notts78
11-04-2018, 09:55 PM
If only he was a striker. Another midfielder to add to the 110 we already have?

Yeah because they will all be here next season.
This will never happen. Imagine Noble and Barton as our midfield duo. Not sure we would go long without controversy.

irish_pie
11-04-2018, 09:57 PM
We turned down Nile Ranger so I hope that other walking ASBO stays well away from Notts... met him in Spain some years ago... an absolute arrogant w@@ker who just happens to be handy at football, we already have one loose cannon in Noble so don't need another

jackal2
11-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Leaving aside all the baggage associated with Barton, the biggest reason we shouldn't sign him is that he's too old. If we've learned anything from the past few months it's that we cannot keep relying on players in their mid 30s lasting a full season in the endurance competition that is League Two. Likewise, we cannot rely too heavily on very young "ones for the future" who never will be. Ameobi and stead have given us everything they've got, but since Christmas they've looked increasingly flat-footed and jaded. Meanwhile, the likes of Elliott Hodge and Callum Saunders have been a virtual waste of a wage.

We're supposed to have a new scouting team, so I want to see us scouting and signing players in their early to mid-twenties with some senior experience but still plenty of hunger and energy.

uysapie
11-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Leaving aside all the baggage associated with Barton, the biggest reason we shouldn't sign him is that he's too old. If we've learned anything from the past few months it's that we cannot keep relying on players in their mid 30s lasting a full season in the endurance competition that is League Two. Likewise, we cannot rely too heavily on very young "ones for the future" who never will be. Ameobi and stead have given us everything they've got, but since Christmas they've looked increasingly flat-footed and jaded. Meanwhile, the likes of Elliott Hodge and Callum Saunders have been a virtual waste of a wage.

We're supposed to have a new scouting team, so I want to see us scouting and signing players in their early to mid-twenties with some senior experience but still plenty of hunger and energy.

How can you be sensible on here?

DaveSmithRules
11-04-2018, 10:43 PM
He's hardly a long-term prospect but as a short-term boost to our play-off hopes this season he'd be interesting. I can't help thinking that we need a few bits to try and tip the balance if we are going to be successful in the play-offs.

Cons:
- Another central midfielder?
- How fit will he be 'this' season?
- He's Joey Barton

Pros:
- At his best he's way above this level
- Highly motivated. Maybe even too highly..?
- Every other midfielder would need to play at 100% to keep their place.

legs77
12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
I really don't see this happening the only reason he is linked is because he is mates with Nolan and both are from Liverpool.

Lets be honest he will either go to a top end championship team next season or if he has any sense carry on to work as a "pundit" money for old rope.

Pieeyedandlegless
12-04-2018, 11:37 AM
We turned down Nile Ranger so I hope that other walking ASBO stays well away from Notts... met him in Spain some years ago... an absolute arrogant w@@ker who just happens to be handy at football, we already have one loose cannon in Noble so don't need another

To be fair to Noble, he has been relatively good behaved since getting back in the squad

MAD_MAGPIE
12-04-2018, 12:03 PM

I'm not condoning Nobles behavior in his last spell with us, but I think it's time for us to judge him on how he has been since he came back to the club. In terms of temperament on the field he has displayed a much more mature attitude. No red cards. Yes he gets the odd booking but so does everyone else.

I guess like anyone once you have a reputation it's difficult to shrug it off.

In terms of Barton, he's played with Nolan at Newcastle, is a Liverpudlian and is mates with KN. I'll look forward to seeing him in the squad on Saturday. XD

kill_the_drum
12-04-2018, 01:07 PM
I’d take him in a heartbeat. He was a PL player last season and would be an incredible signing.
He’s a moron without doubt but my answer to that is Lee Hughes,
It’s never going to happen regardless.

sidders
12-04-2018, 06:28 PM
You'll never win anything with kidsxxx old gits.

countygump
13-04-2018, 11:37 AM
You'll never win anything with kidsxxx old gits.

Leigh scoop Curtis's forts:

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/it-would-pretty-spectacular-watch-1452620

LaxtonLad
13-04-2018, 12:19 PM
If he's not played footie for 13 Months he's not going to be fit enough for the last few games, but perhaps he's one for the future?

80milesSouth
13-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Barton's ban ends June 1st and any talks will be in the summer so I think we need to concentrate on how we end this season first 😀

nay123
18-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Thank got for that joey barton gone to Fleetwood manager

LaughingMagpie
18-04-2018, 03:21 PM

So much for being best mates with Nolan

durhampie
18-04-2018, 03:37 PM

He was the last person we needed. We need to be looking at getting a couple of younger pacey strikers in, not some more of his geriatric mates...

LaxtonLad
18-04-2018, 04:13 PM
So much for being best mates with Nolan

I think the chance of managing a club took preference over playing in a lower league club as a favour for your mate.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
18-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the update