PDA

View Full Version : Automatic promotion is still on

LaughingMagpie
13-04-2018, 10:15 AM
If we win our last 4 matches (I know, it's a big ask) we will be on 82 points which I think will be enough to secure automatic promotion this season.

All the other teams in contention have some tough matches and as long as Accrington continue their winning form points are going to be dropped left, right and centre. The fly in the ointment may well be Exeter even though they play Accrington tomorrow they have on paper what appears to be the easiest run in. There are of course no easy games in football as we know (Barnet, Chesterfield) and especially not at this time of year.

Having said all that we may come unstuck as soon as tomorrow but here's hoping we find some form at the right time

Old_pie
13-04-2018, 10:48 AM
If we win our last 4 games and Luton lose theirs we'll overtake them and if we get 5 more points than Wycombe do in their remaining 5 games we'll overtake them too and unfortunately that is now our best chance of automatics.

The disappointing fact is that not so long ago we were not reliant on what other teams did. But given where we've come from play-offs is a pretty good achievement and AH wants his birthday day at Wembley anyway.

sidders
13-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Gentlemen, I give you a poem from Nottinem's most famous writer - D H Lawrence:

The optimist builds himself safe inside a cell
and paints the inside walls sky-blue
and blocks up the door
and says he’s in heaven.

Pieeyedandlegless
13-04-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm with Sid - you are living in cloud-cuckoo land!

BigFatPie
13-04-2018, 11:03 AM
A stat crunching site I follow has us at a 90% chance of finishing in the playoffs with a 5% chance of autos and a 5% chance of missing out altogether.

Obviously you’re needing a team that hasn’t won 2 games on the trot in 7 months to win 5 games in a row but stranger things have happened.

LaughingMagpie
13-04-2018, 11:14 AM
If we win our last 4 games and Luton lose theirs we'll overtake them and if we get 5 more points than Wycombe do in their remaining 5 games we'll overtake them too and unfortunately that is now our best chance of automatics.

Wycombe have to play Lincoln and Accrington. I can see 5 points dropped there

LaughingMagpie
13-04-2018, 11:15 AM
I'm with Sid - you are living in cloud-cuckoo land!

Sorry for starting a positive thread :s

SwalePie
13-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Sorry for starting a positive thread :s

Don't be sorry, we're not all pessimists here. Until it becomes mathematically impossible, automatic is still on the table, regardless of how unlikely. Stay optimistic!

Old_pie
13-04-2018, 12:01 PM

and blocks up the door
and says he’s in heaven.

Sounds like one of those manc_pie's posts - neither scans nor rhymes.

LaxtonLad
13-04-2018, 12:16 PM

and blocks up the door
and says he’s in heaven.

Not very funny though, is it? Not as funny as "There was a young woman from Ealing..."

Old_pie
13-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Not very funny though, is it? Not as funny as "There was a young woman from Ealing..."

Is that?

There was a young woman from Ealing
Who kept her feet up on the ceiling
Then the day Notts County won
She strangely fell down
With a weird sensation of reeling.

LaxtonLad
13-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Is that?

There was a young woman from Ealing
Who kept her feet up on the ceiling
Then the day Notts County won
She strangely fell down
With a weird sensation of reeling.

It's not the version I know.

kill_the_drum
13-04-2018, 02:33 PM
It’s not probable but absolutely a possibility. The ‘fans’ that say we’re in cloud cuckoo land are probably the same that said we would be relegated, then said after 10 games we’d had an easy start, then said in December that we’ve been lucky and will come undone.
And here we are with four games left still in the running.

BanjoPie
13-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Don't be sorry, we're not all pessimists here. Until it becomes mathematically impossible, automatic is still on the table, regardless of how unlikely. Stay optimistic!

I know that pieeyedand legless sounds negative but really it is very unlikely that we will gain automatic promotion and can see his/her point. Buts lets all keep our fingers crossed that we get the rub of the green

jackal2
13-04-2018, 05:50 PM

and blocks up the door
and says he’s in heaven.

Sounds like a good strategy! ;)

JoePass
13-04-2018, 06:24 PM
It’s not probable but absolutely a possibility. The ‘fans’ that say we’re in cloud cuckoo land are probably the same that said we would be relegated, then said after 10 games we’d had an easy start, then said in December that we’ve been lucky and will come undone.
And here we are with four games left still in the running.

We are Notts County, we move on...and up.

MAD_MAGPIE
13-04-2018, 10:24 PM
The club and its supporters should not give up on automatic promotion until its mathematically impossible.

We may know as early as next Tuesday evening if we don’t beat Colchester tomorrow as Wycombe play Yeovil tomorrow and Lincoln Tuesday. Both games are away from home as well.

If Wycombe win both games and we don’t beat Colchester, we could be 9 or 10 points behind them with 3 games remaining. Game over and playoffs it is.

But and this is where the hope lies, if we beat Colchester and Wycombe draw or lose away at Yeovil tomorrow we will be at best one point behind, at worse two points behind them.

Then they have to go to Lincoln on Tuesday which is a massive game for both sides as that is both teams game in hand. Anything can happen in that game which will affect us. Ideally a draw is the best result for us as it means both teams drop two points.

By 10pm Tuesday evening we should have a better idea of where the land lies going into the last three games.

As I keep saying there will be plenty of twists and turns. Let’s keep the faith.

tarquinbeech
14-04-2018, 12:31 AM
The simple fact is, that since Xmas, we have rarely gone into games with a positive frame of mind....Nolos pre~match chats have me wanting to slit my wrists ....."every team raises their game against Notts, we have to be careful?"....including the "mighty" Barnet and "Chesterfailed"?....do me a favour...."oh yes, now we will get a reaction because they were beaten 6~2 last week"...oh yes?, maybe they are just **** and we need to score 7 for fun....try it, just for once.

Then we spend half the match trying to "run out the clock" and shepherding 20 players into a space the size of a plate of a Big Mac and fries in midfield....the post~match chat consists of slagging off the ref and complaining that our 6 penno shouts were genuine, or that the most blatant penno for the oppo, Aless playing "scoop the ball out of the area" is a Mansfield conspiracy to deprive us of a win.....errrrrr....no.

Just once, just this once.....can we please go into a match trying to win it...preferably not sneak it.

Oh yes, if I see Forte not in the starting eleven, I am going to kick off, bigtime.

BigFatPie
14-04-2018, 01:47 AM
The club and its supporters should not give up on automatic promotion until its mathematically impossible.

We may know as early as next Tuesday evening if we don’t beat Colchester tomorrow as Wycombe play Yeovil tomorrow and Lincoln Tuesday. Both games are away from home as well.

If Wycombe win both games and we don’t beat Colchester, we could be 9 or 10 points behind them with 3 games remaining. Game over and playoffs it is.

But and this is where the hope lies, if we beat Colchester and Wycombe draw or lose away at Yeovil tomorrow we will be at best one point behind, at worse two points behind them.

Then they have to go to Lincoln on Tuesday which is a massive game for both sides as that is both teams game in hand. Anything can happen in that game which will affect us. Ideally a draw is the best result for us as it means both teams drop two points.

By 10pm Tuesday evening we should have a better idea of where the land lies going into the last three games.

As I keep saying there will be plenty of twists and turns. Let’s keep the faith.

It’s less complicated than that. If we don’t win tomorrow it’s game over for the autos, and if Wycombe win against Lincoln it’s more than likely game over.

Whatever’s else happens, going into the playoffs in good form will be more than helpful.

LaxtonLad
14-04-2018, 07:17 AM
And so is my marriage to Kylie.