PDA

View Full Version : A warning

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 06:03 AM
Looks identical so far let's hope we don't make the same mistakes :s

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/chris-powell-on-the-challenge-that-faced-him-at-charlton-athletic-and-the-biggest-lesson-he-learned/

rodcurrie
25-04-2018, 06:17 AM
Looks identical so far let's hope we don't make the same mistakes :s

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/chris-powell-on-the-challenge-that-faced-him-at-charlton-athletic-and-the-biggest-lesson-he-learned/Oh well dun Bully,anutha thread to alarm fans.King Kev out,The Prince out,Tufty will walk and only the poorest of our players will be left to start next season,it's gunna be pleasant readin on here this summer.Hope weather picks up agen soon,i need to feel warm.UTCB

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Don't suppose now is a good time to tell everyone you're a practising psychic then that regularly gets premonitions right is it

Chips1889
25-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Just a thought.....Sheffield United is like no other football club.

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 08:19 AM
That's probably why every other clubs fans got it spot on about our play off challenge I suppose

Chips1889
25-04-2018, 08:22 AM
That's probably why every other clubs fans got it spot on about our play off challenge I suppose

We all got it right about that, didn't we?

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 08:52 AM
No plenty on here early on said we wouldn't falter it was only after coutts's injury and the subsequent drop in form that folk tempered their enthusiasm for our promotion push

Ayamonteblade
25-04-2018, 08:56 AM
that's what's great about online forums - its so easy to change your opinion as your mood takes you, and not have to admit it.........a bit like what the press get away with >;)

CHIPBUTTYBLADE
25-04-2018, 09:03 AM
I wanted players who I felt could grow organically

XD

tomytony
25-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Oh well dun Bully,anutha thread to alarm fans.King Kev out,The Prince out,Tufty will walk and only the poorest of our players will be left to start next season,it's gunna be pleasant readin on here this summer.Hope weather picks up agen soon,i need to feel warm.UTCB

Rest easy Rod, we don't need warnings about how our owners can screw up- it's their modus operandi. :)

Ayamonteblade
25-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Rest easy Rod, we don't need warnings about how our owners can screw up- it's their modus operandi. :)

Am glad to see you are one who never changes his tune TT :zzz:;D

GrayBlade
25-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Sad to see the form fade and a small cloud forming over what has been wall to wall sunshine for 16 months.

If it’s simply down to the squad we have so far acquired not being quite ready I can live with it. If however Wilder says the off field shenanigans have hindered us and we’ve missed a great opportunity, it’s nothing short of pathetic. Typical but pathetic.

In sure Chris will give us his honest and heartfelt view on things when the dust has settled.

Holden_C
25-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Oh well dun Bully,anutha thread to alarm fans.King Kev out,The Prince out,Tufty will walk and only the poorest of our players will be left to start next season,it's gunna be pleasant readin on here this summer.Hope weather picks up agen soon,i need to feel warm.UTCB

Kev must be relieved we've not gone up again Rod, what with him being happy wasting his money in L1. He's made sure Wilder doesn't make that mistake again by giving him no money and holding his dog to ransom. Only needs Brooks to go for pennies and the doomsayers will have big smiles on their faces to last them until the necessary slapped @rse visage is required around summer transfer window time.

Holden_C
25-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Sad to see the form fade and a small cloud forming over what has been wall to wall sunshine for 16 months.

If it’s simply down to the squad we have so far acquired not being quite ready I can live with it. If however Wilder says the off field shenanigans have hindered us and we’ve missed a great opportunity, it’s nothing short of pathetic. Typical but pathetic.

In sure Chris will give us his honest and heartfelt view on things when the dust has settled.

The boardroom issues will, l believe, have had an effect on Wilder. It shouldn't however, have affected players performances, some of which have been very poor.

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 09:45 AM
The boardroom issues will, l believe, have had an effect on Wilder. It shouldn't however, have affected players performances, some of which have been very poor.

Was gonna say pretty much the same what happens upstairs will rarely affect what happens on the pitch unless it affects wages,my opinion obviously

GuancheBlade
25-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Was gonna say pretty much the same what happens upstairs will rarely affect what happens on the pitch unless it affects wages,my opinion obviously

Tha what? The power struggle affected the players on the pitch because it directly impacted who we could sign in January.

Holden_C
25-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Tha what? The power struggle affected the players on the pitch because it directly impacted who we could sign in January.

How does that affect the players who were here? They were the players who have lost form, not some mythical " ITK from someone at the top" signing.

Carpe_diem
25-04-2018, 11:49 AM
How does that affect the players who were here? They were the players who have lost form, not some mythical " ITK from someone at the top" signing.

It's not inconceivable that if Wilder was affected by the power struggle, this would have trickled down to the players he has to motivate. I'm not saying that's the case, just that it could be.

tomytony
25-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Am glad to see you are one who never changes his tune TT :zzz:;D

Why would I when all we get is "The same, same old song" from the Two Tops.? :)

Holden_C
25-04-2018, 11:55 AM
It's not inconceivable that if Wilder was affected by the power struggle, this would have trickled down to the players he has to motivate. I'm not saying that's the case, just that it could be.

It could yes. But it shouldn't. Imo anyway. In with a chance of promotion isn't a bad place to be.

FatherKnowsBest
25-04-2018, 12:44 PM
The problem with being negative, is that you begin to anticipate failure, and in many ways it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

There is no reason why our future is the same or worse than the Charlton disaster, yet here we are again, where the future of SUFC is a bad as we can possibly imagine.

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 12:47 PM
I'm not saying we are goin the same way as charlton FKB I've only put that up to counter those who think it's a given we will push on and improve our position,we'd all like to think we will but it's certainly not a given

rodcurrie
25-04-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm not saying we are goin the same way as charlton FKB I've only put that up to counter those who think it's a given we will push on and improve our position,we'd all like to think we will but it's certainly not a givenI'd prefer Jamal Blackman to Given Bully.UTCB

FatherKnowsBest
25-04-2018, 01:01 PM
I'm not saying we are goin the same way as charlton FKB I've only put that up to counter those who think it's a given we will push on and improve our position,we'd all like to think we will but it's certainly not a given

So much depends on how we change the squad over the summer. This time for me, we ran out of legs, but our mentaility and confidence seemed to change after the Fulham 4-5. We didn't know what to do without Coutts, and then as we started conceding lots we stopped marauding, gung ho football that we'd played in the opening of the season. Interestingly, our form dropped after articles appeared in the football press analyzing our set pieces and 'overlapping CB's'. Maybe other teams just worked out how to play us. I think they did. Drop deep and crowd us into the corners seemed to be how suddenly everyone was playing us.

I don't think we'll see a lot of gung-ho next year. We're going to have to be smarter. I can see us being roughly where we are this season. I don't see a relegation battle ahead.

GuancheBlade
25-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Theres little to compare between us and Charlton. A team that knew how to see out games and won a lot 1-0 in their promotion year, nothing like the free flowing football we played in League 1. They may have been close to the play off in their first season but were never realistically in with a shout and not top of the league in November. Man for man our squad was better.

What they were better at was getting money in for their players £11 million for a youngster to Everton when we got a paltry £1.5 million for ours.

Yes they had a Belgian owner and yes they brought in Belgian managers and players who made a mess of running the club but does that mean we should never have foreign ownership. For every Charlton there's a top end championship and premiership club benefiting from foreign owners.

If we're going to look at teams who have gone up from League 1 in recent seasons then Bournemouth have to be the benchmark. They finished 10th in their first season back in the championship in 2014 and with investment next season got promoted to the Premiership.

Huddersfield Town, who a lot including KM likes to quote as an example to aspire to, finished 19th, 17th, 16th, 19th in their first four seasons back in the championship flirting with relegation each year. Only when they brought in a foreign manager and gave him some money to spend did they take off.

If we are to progress as a club we can't keep burying our head in the sand adopting a little Englander attitude saying we don't like change and lets keep looking in the bargain basement. What this season has shown is that enthusiasm and work rate are not enough to mount a serious promotion challenge. You need two quality players in every position and that costs money.

Our two owners don't have the money to compete at the higher level so we are currently in limbo and all the indications are we will struggle next season unless either of the two owners finds a money tree.

Great post mate, agree with you 100%

bulmer1889
25-04-2018, 02:41 PM
So there's little to compare between us and charlton and you give a strong case for that thinking but finish off by saying unless things change we will befall the same outcome :?