PDA

View Full Version : Ten years ago

millertop
03-05-2018, 09:10 AM
On this day 🔟 years ago...

🎤 Tony Stewart was introduced to the fans as the new Chairman.

⚽️ Jamie Green scored the last ever goal at Millmoor.

👋 #rufc said goodbye to Millmoor.

@OfficialRUFC

mellowmiller
03-05-2018, 09:30 AM
I remember Tony Stewart walking into the middle of the Millmoor pitch and being introduced to the supporters.
If we're honest, I think most of us wondered who he was and what, if anything, he would do overcome the relentless financial turmoil that threatened the very existence of the club.
What he did and continues to do has been quite remarkable and we are very, very lucky to have someone like him at the helm.
Whether he is able to take the club any further remains open to debate and it will be interesting to see what happens if we do manage to get promoted this season.
.........oh, and I can't remember anything about Jamie Yates's goal 😊 Wonder what he's doing now?

gm_gm
03-05-2018, 10:00 AM
what an incredible turnaround in those 10 years

animallittle3
03-05-2018, 10:30 AM
I remember the story unfolding and I thought nar , it will be resolved , common sense will prevail and you will kick off the new season at Millmoor .

I was utterly gobsmacked when it didn't happen and you had to go to the DVS .

As things have turned out it proved to be a blessing but it could quite easily have gone the other way too .

You only have to look at Chester City , Stockport County and Darlington who were all solid league clubs at one time for what can happen .

mikemiller
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
After playing for several non-league clubs, Jamie Green (not Yates!) qualified as a physiotherapist in 2016, after studying at the University of Salford. He may be working in that profession now... so it is possible that we may see him again in a football-related capacity.
I can hardly believe that our last game at Millmoor was 10 years ago, but there is no way that Millmoor could have been improved to the standard of the NYS, unless it had been completely demolished, turned sideways, and rebuilt from scratch

Pattylallacks2
03-05-2018, 11:28 AM
How the Booths must have regretted not doing a deal. Ten years on and they are stuck with a decaying mausoleum they can't do anything with. Thank heavens common sense didn't prevail.

monty_rhodes
03-05-2018, 11:30 AM
what an incredible turnaround in those 10 years

In what sense, gm?

Hazza Has A Gazza
03-05-2018, 02:07 PM
I remember the grey haired man in an ill fitting suit with a broad Yorkshire accent walking on and telling us his vision for the club and remember just thinking we've heard all this before, and never really expected much to happen. I also thought we'd continue at Millmoor and felt angry when it was announced we were moving to Don Valley.
Then after 2 years at DVS we looked no closer to having a new stadium than we were the day we moved in. Still looking at possible sites at that point, with Hellaby the favourite. We were becoming a mid table league 2 side as well.

I didn't have much faith in him at that point but I have eaten my words and the journey we've been on and are still on has been brilliant.

mikemiller
03-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Then after 2 years at DVS we looked no closer to having a new stadium than we were the day we moved in. Still looking at possible sites at that point, with Hellaby the favourite. We were becoming a mid table league 2 side as well.

I was born under a Railway End
I was born under a Railway End
Do I know where Hell is?
Hell's in Hellaby
B & Q and Manvers too
Are sights
I'd rather not see..

great_fire
03-05-2018, 09:17 PM
I was one of the few who didn't mind Don Valley that much.

You could park across the road, there was a good pub and a good chippy and all the prostitutes you could want.

(Yes that's a joke that last bit, although true, although I personally did not use their services).

Silly-miller
03-05-2018, 09:40 PM
I was one of the few who didn't mind Don Valley that much.

You could park across the road, there was a good pub and a good chippy and all the prostitutes you could want.

(Yes that's a joke that last bit, although true, although I personally did not use their services).

No roof though

great_fire
03-05-2018, 10:02 PM
No roof though

Miss that chippy though, wish there was a good chippy near the NYS, nearest decent one is down the side of Boots I think, if Boots is still there.

Silly-miller
04-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Miss that chippy though, wish there was a good chippy near the NYS, nearest decent one is down the side of Boots I think, if Boots is still there.

I wish there was a Starbucks but what can you do?

Donmiller
04-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Was only 25 at the time. Oh to be young with no responsibilities again. I remember him walking onto the pitch and thinking "great another d1ckhead" and I was very annoyed when we had to move to DVS. But I am more than happy to be eating my words, what a top bloke it's incredible what hes done to revive this part of town