PDA

View Full Version : Shrewsbury

i961pie
27-05-2018, 05:39 PM
I do feel sorry for them, in the automatic spot for so long and finishing 8 points in front of Rotherham and then missing out after extra time at Wembley. For a small unassuming club they have done really well.

Steward
27-05-2018, 06:25 PM
I watched it and can't remember them looking ever likely to score, if they'd score from the pen it might have been a different story

jackal2
27-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Yes, it's unfortunate for them, having gone toe-to-toe with Blackburn and Wigan almost the whole season, only to lose out at the last.

Interesting though that all three of the teams that came down from the Championship have gone straight back up. Is there a growing gap between the Championship and League One? I would expect Sunderland to go back up next season, with Barnsley not too far behind. Burton will be the unpredictable quantity because they're a smaller club, but they weren't that far off surviving.

DomdomPie
27-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Shrewsbury’s season mirrors our own (albeit they were slightly more successful) - incredible first half of the season, up and around the automatics, needed to sign a goal scorer in Jan (according to their fans) but didn’t, so slumped into the play-offs.

Can’t feel too sorry for them though... would rather be in their position than ours!

sidders
27-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Dropping from Championship to League 1, I would say, it is easier to hang on to your best players than relegation from the Prem to the Championship.
Sunderland will still be getting parachute money next season so they should walk the league. The money clubs bring down from the Championship gives them a massive head start against the relative poverty at Lge 1 and 2 levels.