PDA

View Full Version : That's it! Footy over, holiday time...where

arnapie
28-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Is every one heading for this summer?

Me, 1st week in June, Santa Ponsa, Majorca.

1st week in Oct, Porta del Carmen, Lanzarote.

Will be wearing either Notts shirt or shorts ( NOT both ) on most / every B) day time outings.

LaughingMagpie
28-05-2018, 06:21 PM
3 and a half weeks driving down to Spain in the summer and Petra in Jordan in October

80milesSouth
28-05-2018, 06:48 PM
12 days Hisaronu in Turkey

navypie
29-05-2018, 06:28 AM
I like my city breaks. Places with history and a great footballing tradition. Madrid ....Barcelona .....Coventry .

i961pie
29-05-2018, 06:45 AM
3 and a half weeks driving down to Spain in the summer and Petra in Jordan in October

We are doing the same LM, driving through France and stopping off in various places and then going on to visit friends near Barcelona.
Unfortunately it is the 1st September for 4 weeks so will miss a few games.

Elite_Pie
02-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Just booked for Mexico. That goat herder on here has rattled my cage once too often, so the time has come to sort him out once and for all. My advice to you tarquin is that you had better start pumping some serious iron as a matter of urgency. When I hit Playa del Carmen next Thursday I'll be looking for you, and I don't stop at a broken jaw. In addition I plan to rupture your spleen, puncture your lung, crack a few ribs, perforate your eardrum and break a fingernail.

ps Before I do all that, any advice you can give me on the area mate?

Trickytreesreds
02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Just booked for Mexico. That goat herder on here has rattled my cage once too often, so the time has come to sort him out once and for all. My advice to you tarquin is that you had better start pumping some serious iron as a matter of urgency. When I hit Playa del Carmen next Thursday I'll be looking for you, and I don't stop at a broken jaw. In addition I plan to rupture your spleen, puncture your lung, crack a few ribs, perforate your eardrum and break a fingernail.

I'll help you EP.
Look for these Thomson reps and don't forget to tell them your family loaded.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14tr9ky.jpg

Also your bowel is the size of a small suitcase.

Have a good en.

Elite_Pie
02-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Look for these Thomson reps and don't forget to tell them your family loaded.

Tell them my family loaded what? We never go above the designated luggage allowance.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
02-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Lake Windermere - Now
Edinburgh - End June
Tenerife - Sept

LaughingMagpie
02-06-2018, 10:45 PM
We are doing the same LM, driving through France and stopping off in various places and then going on to visit friends near Barcelona.
Unfortunately it is the 1st September for 4 weeks so will miss a few games.

We are going at the end of July and taking a week to drive down through France with the last 2 nights in Barcelona before we get to the villa

LaxtonLad
03-06-2018, 08:13 AM
Hotel in Puerto Pollensa in June,
Cottage in Hartington, Derbyshire in September.

Proudpie
03-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Got to economise this year
Devon July
Cotswolds October
Several family days out
Saving my money for all those away games

americanpie
03-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Lanzarote now.....Rio & Iguassu in September......Arizona & Colorado in November.

All wearing my Notts shirt.

Oh, and Tricky.....I'm not going with Thomson!

crazyfists
03-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Bali in September, can't bloomin wait!!

Trickytreesreds
03-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Lanzarote now.....Rio & Iguassu in September......Arizona & Colorado in November.

All wearing my Notts shirt.

Oh, and Tricky.....I'm not going with Thomson!

Take the Mrs,
He was **** at Liverpool anyway

americanpie
03-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Take the Mrs,
He was **** at Liverpool anyway

Think I'll take the girlfriend instead

navypie
03-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Tenerife early August , the French Alps late.

tarquinbeech
03-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Just booked for Mexico.

Huge tourist spot, fastest growing city apparently in Latin America.....relatively unknown until the 90s.....5th Avenue is wall-to-wall bars, restaurants, shopping malls, giant stores and nightclubs.....the night-life and the "youngsters" using drugs have caused the cartels to move in and there is sporadic violence but very rarely against tourists....massive armed police presence, so you are unlikely to see any trouble......stick to the main areas and side-streets.....use ADO buses wherever possible to visit Tulum Mayan ruins or any of the cenotes (underground water-filled sink-holes)...ADO bus direct from airport to Playa every 20 minutes about 200 pesos......try to avoid taxis as they are pricey.....negotiate wherever possible, threaten to walk away normally gets you 30% discount.....if they say 150 pesos back to your hotel, offer them 100, it normally works....you like arguing anyway!!

High prices on pretty much everything around the beaches and 5th Avenue (a beer in the Oxxo stores which are everywhere there, are 15 to 20 pesos but 45 to 50 pesos in the bars, 87 in the airport!!....plus they will expect a 10% tip).....some restaurants are "sneaky" and add on the 10% as a service charge, I tell them to remove it, then offer them a tip.......change money in the UK at a money-exchange outlet, banks will rob you here and atms are even worse with their service charge on top...26.72 pesos to the £1 today, 26.50 using the internet for me but banks will probably try to shave another peso off that plus a bank service charge...ouch

Check your change after every transaction before moving away, the girl in the ADO bus station, there are 2 in Playa, has twice given me the wrong change, normally 100 pesos light......that is no coincidence!!....the same at gas stations if you have a rental car....they do not reset the pump and often say you gave them the wrong note ie you gave them a 50 instead of 500....point out that it is 500.

Lastly, try to get out and about, the Mexican mom-n-pop places are superb value if they look busy with Mexican families and the odd tourist.....half the price, great service, good food....always carry water (and beer in a cooler bag if you have one), it is HOT and it takes a while to get used to it....take a hat.....watch out the free chilli salsas that are offered with every meal, they say they are "mild" but one dollop and you think you are having a heart attack.

Miriam and I will be stopping in Playa in late July, so I will be spending a couple of days getting "fleeced as well" but she loves all the nightlife and razzle-dazzle, shopping etc.....grrrrrrr.....I prefer to move inland and see the Mayan ruins and get into the jungle, off the beaten track.

Enjoy, stay safe.....Mexico is a great country

https://www.bricrental.com/a-look-into-playa-del-carmen-in-its-early-days.htm

ncfcog
03-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Cromer, Plymouth, Kernow, Torrevieja not necessarily in that order!

LaxtonLad
03-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Cromer, Plymouth, Kernow, Torrevieja not necessarily in that order!

Been to Torrevieja - beware the rip tides at La Zenia! That's where my wife was pulled from the sea and had a brain hemorrhage last June.

Elite_Pie
03-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Huge tourist spot, fastest growing city apparently in Latin America.....relatively unknown until the 90s.....5th Avenue is wall-to-wall bars, restaurants, shopping malls, giant stores and nightclubs.....the night-life and the "youngsters" using drugs have caused the cartels to move in and there is sporadic violence but very rarely against tourists....massive armed police presence, so you are unlikely to see any trouble......stick to the main areas and side-streets.....use ADO buses wherever possible to visit Tulum Mayan ruins or any of the cenotes (underground water-filled sink-holes)...ADO bus direct from airport to Playa every 20 minutes about 200 pesos......try to avoid taxis as they are pricey.....negotiate wherever possible, threaten to walk away normally gets you 30% discount.....if they say 150 pesos back to your hotel, offer them 100, it normally works....you like arguing anyway!!

High prices on pretty much everything around the beaches and 5th Avenue (a beer in the Oxxo stores which are everywhere there, are 15 to 20 pesos but 45 to 50 pesos in the bars, 87 in the airport!!....plus they will expect a 10% tip).....some restaurants are "sneaky" and add on the 10% as a service charge, I tell them to remove it, then offer them a tip.......change money in the UK at a money-exchange outlet, banks will rob you here and atms are even worse with their service charge on top...26.72 pesos to the £1 today, 26.50 using the internet for me but banks will probably try to shave another peso off that plus a bank service charge...ouch

Check your change after every transaction before moving away, the girl in the ADO bus station, there are 2 in Playa, has twice given me the wrong change, normally 100 pesos light......that is no coincidence!!....the same at gas stations if you have a rental car....they do not reset the pump and often say you gave them the wrong note ie you gave them a 50 instead of 500....point out that it is 500.

Lastly, try to get out and about, the Mexican mom-n-pop places are superb value if they look busy with Mexican families and the odd tourist.....half the price, great service, good food....always carry water (and beer in a cooler bag if you have one), it is HOT and it takes a while to get used to it....take a hat.....watch out the free chilli salsas that are offered with every meal, they say they are "mild" but one dollop and you think you are having a heart attack.

Miriam and I will be stopping in Playa in late July, so I will be spending a couple of days getting "fleeced as well" but she loves all the nightlife and razzle-dazzle, shopping etc.....grrrrrrr.....I prefer to move inland and see the Mayan ruins and get into the jungle, off the beaten track.

Enjoy, stay safe.....Mexico is a great country

https://www.bricrental.com/a-look-into-playa-del-carmen-in-its-early-days.htm

Thanks a lot for that tarquin, very helpful and much appreciated. I might let you off with a stern telling-off after all if we return in July when you're there. The hotel we're at runs a courtesy bus to 5th Avenue so I'm sure we'll have a look around there. Really looking forward to going, but I have one slight worry. We are going all inclusive with gin, rum, vodka and tequila optics in the room, and unlimited beer around the complex. My problem is that I'm not allowed beer any more on medical grounds and my salvation here has been cider, but cider doesn't seem easy to find in Mexico, and certainly none in our hotel. We've got a fridge in the room so I don't mind buying it in the shops, but a lot of reports on the travel forums say that what get's called cider is actually non-alcoholic apple juice - not what I had in mind. If I can't get any alcoholic cider it's either vodka and tonic for two weeks or a V sign to medical advice!

navypie
03-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Thanks a lot for that tarquin, very helpful and much appreciated. I might let you off with a stern telling-off after all if we return in July when you're there. The hotel we're at runs a courtesy bus to 5th Avenue so I'm sure we'll have a look around there. Really looking forward to going, but I have one slight worry. We are going all inclusive with gin, rum, vodka and tequila optics in the room, and unlimited beer around the complex. My problem is that I'm not allowed beer any more on medical grounds and my salvation here has been cider, but cider doesn't seem easy to find in Mexico, and certainly none in our hotel. We've got a fridge in the room so I don't mind buying it in the shops, but a lot of reports on the travel forums say that what get's called cider is actually non-alcoholic apple juice - not what I had in mind. If I can't get any alcoholic cider it's either vodka and tonic for two weeks or a V sign to medical advice!

Please don't ignore medical advice mate, we need all the fans we can get.

queenslandpie
03-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Bali in September, can't bloomin wait!!

Why on earth would you want to go there? The archtypical Australian bogan holiday destination!

queenslandpie
03-06-2018, 08:06 PM
With an average winter daytime temperate of around 20 basically no rain and you beaut at night I guess I wont be moving too far from the Sunny Coast this winter. When it gets stupid hot in January I might go back to England and freeze my nads off for a few weeks. The great thing about living where I live is that I am never disappointed or depressed when I return from holiday. I can still remember the sink in my heart touching down at East Midlands after a week in some grotty Spanish Island.

caj85
03-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Is every one heading for this summer?

Me, 1st week in June, Santa Ponsa, Majorca.

1st week in Oct, Porta del Carmen, Lanzarote.

Will be wearing either Notts shirt or shorts ( NOT both ) on most / every B) day time outings.

I went to Santa ponsa in April. Very nice holiday.
Make sure you visit the Crown Pub in the music square ran by 2 notts fans.

The_Don_ORiordan
03-06-2018, 09:45 PM

I went to Petra about 5 years ago.

You should do the Dead Sea whilst you are there (wear goggles it bloody stings your eyes!)

Kerak also worth a visit since you are in the area.

Tips at Petra. Take your own drinks, and do take the camels if you are going to the monastery and not just seeing the treasury.

ncfcog
03-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Been to Torrevieja - beware the rip tides at La Zenia! That's where my wife was pulled from the sea and had a brain hemorrhage last June.

Bloody Hell! Know La Zenia really well, dad lives in Torrevieja. Hope your wife has fully recovered, that sounds terrible. I took a pedalo out with my daughter and her friend a few years ago and must admit we hit a bit of a swell and for a few minutes I feared the worst!

tarquinbeech
03-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Strongbow and Libbey's Hard cider are available by the case at Chedraui, Av. 45 Sur S/N, Centro, Playa del Carmen, Mexico......if for any reason they are out of stock, there is also a Soriano and Walmart (Asda) in Playa Del Carmen

https://www.chedraui.com.mx/search/?text=cider

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150812-d7785734-Reviews-Chedraui-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

magpiekev
04-06-2018, 04:59 AM
Arenal, Menorca in August

slack_pie
04-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Moving back to Prague in a month, but coming back for a week in Cornwall with the fam in August - can't beat it.

LaxtonLad
04-06-2018, 05:57 AM
Bloody Hell! Know La Zenia really well, dad lives in Torrevieja. Hope your wife has fully recovered, that sounds terrible. I took a pedalo out with my daughter and her friend a few years ago and must admit we hit a bit of a swell and for a few minutes I feared the worst!
I told the story on here about my wife a few months ago, thanks for asking. She’s ok now but a bit wary of flying because of her blood pressure. We were told by the lifeguards that a few people had drowned after the rip tides had dragged them out to sea. They don’t mention that in their publicity ads though.
Apart from the chance of drowning, it’s ok. The Spaniards like it.

Elite_Pie
04-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Strongbow and Libbey's Hard cider are available by the case at Chedraui, Av. 45 Sur S/N, Centro, Playa del Carmen, Mexico......if for any reason they are out of stock, there is also a Soriano and Walmart (Asda) in Playa Del Carmen

https://www.chedraui.com.mx/search/?text=cider

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150812-d7785734-Reviews-Chedraui-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Cheers tarquin, that Chedraui place is about 30 minutes walk from where we are staying, and quite likely to be on the courtesy bus route.
Just used the little Google streetview man to see what to look for and there's a bloody McDonalds next door to it!