PDA

View Full Version : New Signings: Cedric Evina and Jamie Turley

TheProphet
14-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Notts County have completed the signings of defenders Cedric Evina and Jamie Turley.

They become the second and third free agents to join the Magpies since the transfer window closed in August.

Left back Evina was with League One side Doncaster Rovers until the beginning of July and spent last season on loan with Harry Kewell’s former club Crawley Town.

The 26-year-old came through the youth system at Arsenal before leaving for Oldham Athletic in October 2010.

The following July, he joined Charlton Athletic who he turned out for 34 times during his three-year spell, making 19 Championship appearances.

Evina then moved to Doncaster and helped the South Yorkshire side win promotion straight back to League One.

Centre back Turley, meanwhile, was most recently with Newport County, spending last season on loan at National League side Boreham Wood where he scored in the play-offs.

The 28-year-old came through the ranks at Wycombe Wanderers before joining Salisbury in July 2009, who he left for Forest Green two years later.

In September 2014, Turley left for Eastleigh where he did enough to convince Newport to bring him into the EFL in July 2016.

He then went on loan to Crawley for 2017-18 and made 34 appearances under Kewell’s management before leaving Doncaster at the end of his contract.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/evina-and-turley-sign/

No goalkeeper or central defender...

countygump
14-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Notts County have completed the signings of defenders Cedric Evina and Jamie Turley.

They become the second and third free agents to join the Magpies since the transfer window closed in August.

Left back Evina was with League One side Doncaster Rovers until the beginning of July and spent last season on loan with Harry Kewell’s former club Crawley Town.

The 26-year-old came through the youth system at Arsenal before leaving for Oldham Athletic in October 2010.

The following July, he joined Charlton Athletic who he turned out for 34 times during his three-year spell, making 19 Championship appearances.

Evina then moved to Doncaster and helped the South Yorkshire side win promotion straight back to League One.

Centre back Turley, meanwhile, was most recently with Newport County, spending last season on loan at National League side Boreham Wood where he scored in the play-offs.

The 28-year-old came through the ranks at Wycombe Wanderers before joining Salisbury in July 2009, who he left for Forest Green two years later.

In September 2014, Turley left for Eastleigh where he did enough to convince Newport to bring him into the EFL in July 2016.

He then went on loan to Crawley for 2017-18 and made 34 appearances under Kewell’s management before leaving Doncaster at the end of his contract.

Ay???

LaxtonLad
14-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Both defenders - Evina a left back, Turley a centre back who was on loan at Boreham Wood last season.

Isn't a centre back a central defender? :?

countygump
14-09-2018, 10:37 AM
At least they are both player that Kewellio knows?

countygump
14-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Isn't a centre back a central defender? :?

Hence the "ay".

Chicken Balti Pie
14-09-2018, 10:39 AM
No keeper or nasty midfielder, let's hope Milsom stays injury free then!

countygump
14-09-2018, 10:42 AM
No keeper or nasty midfielder, let's hope Milsom stays injury free then!

So Milsom and Hewitt/Vaughn in midfield then?

forwardmagpie
14-09-2018, 10:44 AM
HK must think they can do a job for him.

LaxtonLad
14-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Hence the "ay".

"Eh?" signifies "What?". Ay could mean agreement.

LaxtonLad
14-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Or Kellet or Thomas or Husin? Or Hawkridge or Patching or Crawford?

Perm any two, three or four from nine.

TheProphet
14-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Hence the "ay".

I can't be the only one who sometimes calls them centre backs, just like full backs, but in the centre.

matt_magpie
14-09-2018, 11:01 AM

He obviously believes in Milsom and Vaughan is suppose to be way above this level (admittedly not seen it yet but I don't think that's all down to him) so I think we are going to have to trust him. I personally don't think a hard man in midfield was going to solve all our problems. A lot of issues have been defending set plays/crosses and not getting back as a team to cover and communication.

SwalePie
14-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Hence the "ay".

Is that ay as in 'eh'? Or as in 'aye'?

countygump
14-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Or Kellet or Thomas or Husin? Or Hawkridge or Patching or Crawford?

Perm any two, three or four from nine.

I was sorta thinking the centre 2 defensive ish pairing.

Chicken Balti Pie
14-09-2018, 11:05 AM
He obviously believes in Milsom and Vaughan is suppose to be way above this level (admittedly not seen it yet but I don't think that's all down to him) so I think we are going to have to trust him. I personally don't think a hard man in midfield was going to solve all our problems. A lot of issues have been defending set plays/crosses and not getting back as a team to cover and communication.

The destroyer would allow Vaughan to do his stuff, Milsom will help in this regard but he's not the out and out one we need. The set pieces is caused by the count in goal. At the moment, it's on the defence to clear the ball every time, they need help from the keeper but he's rooted to his line. Just replacing the defenders with non league players really isn't going to help matters, they'll still be under the same pressures as before but less quality

countygump
14-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Is that ay as in 'eh'? Or as in 'aye'?

When I say "ay" as in "what you on about", you would be far more likely (and accurate) to spell it "ay", than eh or aye. Hope that clears it up, serry. Arna, innitt. Gerront corsey afor I tell thee marther.

Oldstripy
14-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Turley looks like the big bruiser type of central defender everyone has been calling for.

SwalePie
14-09-2018, 11:08 AM
When I say "ay" as in "what you on about", you would be far more likely (and accurate) to spell it "ay", than eh or aye. Hope that clears it up, serry. Arna, innitt.

As in 'eh' then. Cheers Gumpy.

matt_magpie
14-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Think the issue is there are no Keepers out there any better. We have had people post on here the free agents and no one has been strongly suggesting who we should get. If the word on the street was the ex forest keeper was decent I am 100% sure we would have signed him.

metrocab
14-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Anybody but Hewitt!

SwalePie
14-09-2018, 11:16 AM
These two look like potentially decent signings to me. Not overhyped but with reasonably solid backgrounds. Fingers crossed.

countygump
14-09-2018, 11:18 AM
As in 'eh' then. Cheers Gumpy.

Or if I may further extrapolate. In Gumpese, ay is "what". Eh is "isn't it",(agreement)? Aye is "yes". The differences are subtle, as with most modern, widely spoken, incredibly cool, (kewell)? languages.

ncfcog
14-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Yet to prove themselves of course but I'm happy with the way the club have gone about this. Neither of these two are names anyone has mentioned previously. AH has kept a lower profile on tw4tter and Daddy Kewell is familiar with both players and in position(s) we are desperately struggling with right now. Fingers crossed they provide a positive influence.

matt_magpie
14-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Think Hewitt will get limited opportunity under Kewell. I think he's a player that had a great start to his career at a young age but has never found his position/role. He has all the attributes physically and energy wise to be that defensive midfielder but just doesn't seem to have the bite.

irish_pie
14-09-2018, 11:33 AM
A left back and a center back... good work HK, now lets hope they can cut the mustard

boland
14-09-2018, 11:46 AM
The announcement was worded incorrectly (it has since been adjusted on the OS).
The final paragraph referred to Evina not Turley. Both were on season loans, Evina at Crawley from Doncaster and Turley at Boreham Wood from Newport, so only Evina has played under HK.

Notts78
14-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Can we not sign anyone else? Just wandering as some are moaning that we are stuck with 9 midfielders.
I think the defence was definitely an area that was in desperate need of strengthening. I think we will probably still get a midfielder that will provide ‘muscle’.

BigFatPie
14-09-2018, 11:51 AM
The market is obviously fairly limited but it is fairly astonishing that we’ve signed yet another centre half and another bloke who can play left back but not a new goalkeeper. Or a non midget midfielder.

countygump
14-09-2018, 12:13 PM
The market is obviously fairly limited but it is fairly astonishing that we’ve signed yet another centre half and another bloke who can play left back but not a new goalkeeper. Or a non midget midfielder.

Turley has played a grand total of 6 games at L 2 level. In Kewellio we trust.

Robertomac
14-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Anybody but Hewitt!

I couldn't agree more!

countygump
14-09-2018, 12:20 PM
Some good work on the goal line by Evina.

https://twitter.com/TheFiver/status/511450232446779392

Mapperleypie
14-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Some good work on the goal line by Evina.

https://twitter.com/TheFiver/status/511450232446779392

With defending like that, he'll fit right in.

Welcome to Notts County

NewportCountyfan
14-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Jamie Turley was Feeneys first signing in the summer before our great escape season. We didn't really see enough of him to judge and he only played 6 games before picking up an injury.

Neither Graham Westley or Mike Flynn seemed to rate him as they both shipped him out on loan.

eastwoodmagpie
14-09-2018, 12:37 PM
I couldn't agree more!

Still prefer him to Vaughan whose not suited to league two football which is evident on his performances this season.

crazyfists
14-09-2018, 12:50 PM
With defending like that, he'll fit right in.

Welcome to Notts County

Ha ha Jesus that was painful to watch.

countygump
14-09-2018, 12:51 PM
The announcement was worded incorrectly (it has since been adjusted on the OS).
The final paragraph referred to Evina not Turley. Both were on season loans, Evina at Crawley from Doncaster and Turley at Boreham Wood from Newport, so only Evina has played under HK.

According to this Turley was on trial at Creepy under HK so he should know a little about him.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/kewellsignings

https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/1040582277477093376

countygump
14-09-2018, 01:02 PM
13 mins of Harry pre Stevo. Words on injuries and the new players. Apparently Turley can play right back as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_uIYuOkSc

LaughingMagpie
14-09-2018, 01:22 PM
When I mentioned Cedric Evina to my Doncaster supporting business partner he burst out laughing. I'm guessing he didn't rate him.

Chicken Balti Pie
14-09-2018, 01:38 PM

When I mentioned Cedric Evina to my Doncaster supporting business partner he burst out laughing. I'm guessing he didn't rate him.

So an upgrade on Jones then?

townmeadsidesplitter
14-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Sorry you guys, I've just got back from A&E having my ribs put back in, Evina and Turley XD

Evina wasn't good enough and Kewell dropped him for Josh Doherty, a kid with no experience, while Turley played during pre season and wasn't good enough to get a contract of any description, to think some of us were angry when Kewell naffed off to you lot, I reckon we got the best deal going

Good luck fellas, you're sure as hell going to need it

OP67
14-09-2018, 03:47 PM
I can't be the only one who sometimes calls them centre backs, just like full backs, but in the centre.

Centre backs here also....Although sometimes they're full backs ;)

Elite_Pie
14-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Sorry you guys, I've just got back from A&E having my ribs put back in, Evina and Turley XD

If you had seen our defence this season, your sides would probably still be intact.

Even poor players will provide a significant upgrade.

Pieeyedandlegless
14-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Still prefer him to Vaughan whose not suited to league two football which is evident on his performances this season.c

The experience of Vaughan could perhaps be more useful if we had a ball winner

optipez
14-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Well, we at least start tomorrow with a left back. Milsom will make the midfield stronger, so that's two improvements in last week before a ball is kicked.

Mark_Ross
14-09-2018, 06:56 PM
I think, in view of all the above posts, I'm really beginning to wish I wasn't thinking "well, things started bad... got worse... then got even worser... now surely things can only get better".

Steward
14-09-2018, 07:12 PM
2 defenders with a bit of pace by the sounds of it

LaxtonLad
14-09-2018, 07:43 PM
2 defenders with a bit of pace by the sounds of it

If they can stand up for themselves, tackle the striker before he knows what day it is, intercept crosses and give the goalie a tabholing for his silence, they'll get a round of applause from the Kop.

PedroTheFisherman66
15-09-2018, 12:50 AM
Think the issue is there are no Keepers out there any better. We have had people post on here the free agents and no one has been strongly suggesting who we should get. If the word on the street was the ex forest keeper was decent I am 100% sure we would have signed him.

He's gone to Burton Albion !

Crawlefaninpeace
15-09-2018, 08:11 AM
CTFC fan in peace here

I see you guys are relatively happy with your 2 new signings which is always a good thing

You will find Evina was released by HK as not being up to L2 level (or the level he thought we should be at) HK also bought in a replacement as he had little trust in him and rightly so he isn't the player who was at Donny anymore unfortunately but hopefully for you he improves as was the weak link in our back line last season until Josh Doherty was bought in then he rarely played.

Turley was on trial with us he is a big strong lad and could be the bruiser type player you need at the back - i thought we should have signed him but for whatever reason HK decided not too maybe he knew he was off to Notts in late pre-season who knows

Enzio is a very good player on his day will he go missing in games? yes but he can also be unplayable if you can live with the inconsistency he brings he will be a very good signing for you

Anyway good luck with your season the Oldest football club shouldn't be rooted to the bottom and despite my feeling to HK that certainly doesn't extend to your club or loyal fans

Pieeyedandlegless
15-09-2018, 08:30 AM
What are the chances they will start! - we got Davies from Swansea the day after Milsom came back so where is he? - if he is not good enough to start then why was he signed ?

SwalePie
15-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Thanks Crawleyfaninpeace. Just curious, what is your feeling towards HK and why?

ncfcog
15-09-2018, 08:39 AM
CTFC fan in peace here

I see you guys are relatively happy with your 2 new signings which is always a good thing

You will find Evina was released by HK as not being up to L2 level (or the level he thought we should be at) HK also bought in a replacement as he had little trust in him and rightly so he isn't the player who was at Donny anymore unfortunately but hopefully for you he improves as was the weak link in our back line last season until Josh Doherty was bought in then he rarely played.

Turley was on trial with us he is a big strong lad and could be the bruiser type player you need at the back - i thought we should have signed him but for whatever reason HK decided not too maybe he knew he was off to Notts in late pre-season who knows

Enzio is a very good player on his day will he go missing in games? yes but he can also be unplayable if you can live with the inconsistency he brings he will be a very good signing for you

Anyway good luck with your season the Oldest football club shouldn't be rooted to the bottom and despite my feeling to HK that certainly doesn't extend to your club or loyal fans

In his interview yesterday HK alluded that he wanted to sign Turley but club decided otherwise?

TBH compared to our other options at the moment they can’t make matters any worse!

countygump
15-09-2018, 09:05 AM
What are the chances they will start! - we got Davies from Swansea the day after Milsom came back so where is he? - if he is not good enough to start then why was he signed ?

An absolute panic signing on the last day of the tranny window. I doubt you'll ever see him play in a Notts shirt. Played one half of a league 2 game, subbed at half time. May as well have given our own kids a go.

crazyfists
15-09-2018, 09:58 AM
CTFC fan in peace here

That was a nice post, cheers mate. I think Turley might be half decent for us, my jury is out on Evina as of yet. Good luck to yourselves as well for the rest of the season.

MAD_MAGPIE
15-09-2018, 12:25 PM
CTFC fan in peace here

Thanks for the information. I’m hoping they can do a job, but am somewhat alarmed about Evina, but like all players he deserves a chance. Turley sounds like he might be able to do a job.

So we have three of your ex players, and your former manager. Your club rapidly appears to becoming a feeder club for us.

From now on let it be know throughout the footballing world we will be known as Notts Crawley. XD

Bohinen
15-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the information. I’m hoping they can do a job, but am somewhat alarmed about Evina, but like all players he deserves a chance. Turley sounds like he might be able to do a job.

So we have three of your ex players, and your former manager. Your club rapidly appears to becoming a feeder club for us.

From now on let it be know throughout the footballing world we will be known as Notts Crawley. XD

You have to take the word of someone who has seen the player in action, but HK or Crawley didn't release Evina, as he was only there on loan. It was Doncaster who released him. He did play 34 league games at Crawley last season and 42 for Doncaster in League One in 2015/16. It's not like he has spent his career in the reserves. If HK was so desperate to replace him, why has he brought him to Notts?

Crawlefaninpeace
15-09-2018, 01:08 PM
You have to take the word of someone who has seen the player in action, but HK or Crawley didn't release Evina, as he was only there on loan. It was Doncaster who released him. He did play 34 league games at Crawley last season and 42 for Doncaster in League One in 2015/16. It's not like he has spent his career in the reserves. If HK was so desperate to replace him, why has he brought him to Notts?

Yes you are right Evina was on loan from Donny (my mistake on that one) however HK never took up an option to buy him as he had already replaced him with Josh Doherty, However that doesn't make him a bad player we were passing it out very slowly from the back which didn't suit him either - to answer your question i think he bought him to Notts as nobody better available but you will see him play soon enough.

I predict he will start well then drop off which is what happened at Crawley

Turley played a few pre-season friendlies not most of the season as the BBC report but looked a decent player, i'm not sure if HK wanted to sign him or not or if we really needed him but i do think he will do well for you

But like i say good luck for the rest of the season i am hoping we do ourselves and Notts a favour and beat Morecombe today

Crawlefaninpeace
15-09-2018, 01:14 PM
i did the Q&A for the ***** lincoln forum last week and they asked the same question

My feelings towards HK he pretty much told us when he joined what he told you. He has a huge ego and upset some of the fans when having a pop at us at an away game last season - he lost most of the fans after that

we got 8 more points than the previous season with a much better squad we passed it out from the back in a slow and methodical way and after a few games became easy for the opposition to work us out

our defence didn't improve, however he bought in this preseason some real quality so if he doesn't get sacked or runs off to the next bigger club you really should judge him when he has his own players

I would say he doesn't have a plan b either but i am sure he has lean't from his forst season at Crawley

pravda_plc
15-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Yes you are right Evina was on loan from Donny (my mistake on that one) however HK never took up an option to buy him as he had already replaced him with Josh Doherty, However that doesn't make him a bad player we were passing it out very slowly from the back which didn't suit him either - to answer your question i think he bought him to Notts as nobody better available but you will see him play soon enough.

I predict he will start well then drop off which is what happened at Crawley

Turley played a few pre-season friendlies not most of the season as the BBC report but looked a decent player, i'm not sure if HK wanted to sign him or not or if we really needed him but i do think he will do well for you

But like i say good luck for the rest of the season i am hoping we do ourselves and Notts a favour and beat Morecombe today

P.S. Kudos to Crawley for beating a very direct and physical Lincoln team, fair and square on their own pitch!

This is what gives me some hope of a Notts recovery because the team that beat Lincoln was the team that Harry Kewell built...