PDA

View Full Version : Match Thread vs Crewe Alexandra 29/9/18

SwalePie
29-09-2018, 01:21 PM
One change as Noor Husin makes way for Elliott Hewitt.

ncfcog
29-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Already off to a great start. Just been pulled up at turnstile as I have brought last seasons ST with me!

SwalePie
29-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Already off to a great start. Just been pulled up at turnstile as I have brought last seasons ST with me!

Bugger! Did you get through in the end?

ncfcog
29-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Yeah sorted me out at ticket office. Things I do to try and change our fortunes, this time last year everything was looking rosy lol.

sidders
29-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Milsom gives us a 5th minute lead. Can we even hold onto it for 10 minutes? My guess is No.

the_anticlough
29-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Good to see Milsom score. A rare goal for him, only his 3rd in 5 years

MancMagpie
29-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Milsom gives us a 5th minute lead. Can we even hold onto it for 10 minutes? My guess is No.

You guess correctly.

14 mins 1-1

OP67
29-09-2018, 02:19 PM
1-1 :( Different defenders same old issues!!!!

irish_pie
29-09-2018, 02:25 PM

It's true, we are so fragile we wouldn't hold water.... it's early days so looks like another we score one you score one game l...come on boys a win at the 10 attempt please....

ncfcog
29-09-2018, 02:30 PM
we’re never gonna win again are we?

irish_pie
29-09-2018, 02:33 PM
we’re never gonna win again are we?

Has something happened? Sorry I'm on a bus here so no access to the game

2piesonmyshirt
29-09-2018, 02:45 PM
God the KOP is embarrassing at times

Crewe player is Fowled
Notts player is booked
Crewe player treated on pitch
Game restarts
KOP fans screaming at ref because treated player never went off
LEARN the rules - he dosnt have too!!!!

Pieeyedandlegless
29-09-2018, 02:50 PM
According to bbc, Thomas won a free kick (from the bench!)

irish_pie
29-09-2018, 02:52 PM
According to bbc, Thomas won a free kick (from the bench!)

Would do well to score from there ;)

Pieeyedandlegless
29-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Sounds like Notts started well (yet again) then faded as the half progressed, can anyone fortunate enough to be at the match confirm this

ncfcog
29-09-2018, 02:54 PM
After a promising start the only way to describe the rest of that half is abject. We looked really composed to start with but players need to give their heads a wobble at ht.

Simple things again, foot on ball, make space, find a pass etc etc

nw6pie
29-09-2018, 03:00 PM
I hope we’re conserving our energy for the second half, because for 30 minutes we have been absolutely woeful. Get Enzio on the left, seems to be his most useful position. Still weak in the middle of the park and Milsom could have seen red for a dodgy challenge. Not looking good. Come on Notts, step it up!!

tarquinbeech
29-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Dreadful goal to concede.....floated cross into the Notts penno box, a huge swing of the leg by the Hulk, completely misses it and the ball bounces off his arm? 2 yards to a completely unmarked Crewe player....early Xmas pressy for them.

Fitz has had two dodgy moments, a two-fisted punch that went all of 5 yards and landed on the edge of our penno box, and a clearance from a back-pass that turned into a daisy-cutter straight to a Crewe player.

Going forward we look pretty decent, the goal was an excellent combo of Hemmings twisting and turning inside their box, smashed a cross low-n-hard to Stead who gifted a ball to Milsom arriving late, classy goal.

Milsom almost got a straight red for a high tackle in midfield, Hewitt is a bit meeeeeh, Enzio is being double and treble marked, Evita looks decent overlapping with Aless.

51Magpie
29-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Crewe player is Fowled

Perhaps we'll have a better chance now we're playing against ten men and a chicken.

CmonUSexyStylishPies
29-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Macclesfield losing, it seems there is a team worse than us, now we just need to find one more and we're sorted.

Pieeyedandlegless
29-09-2018, 03:29 PM
Can we hold on this time - COYP's

AltyPie
29-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Perhaps we'll have a better chance now we're playing against ten men and a chicken.

Let’s hope it doesn’t prove to be their clucky charm.

AltyPie
29-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Has something happened? Sorry I'm on a bus here so no access to the game

Bring it over and stick it in front of the Notts goal, last 5 would you please?

AltyPie
29-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Ha! Uncanny! It was only 5 weeks ago that I said it was fairly unlikely Notts would go a whole season without winning a single game.

Pieeyedandlegless
29-09-2018, 04:00 PM
At last XD

Old_pie
29-09-2018, 04:03 PM
At last XD

Out of the relegation zone and only 10 points off the play-offs!

Pieeyedandlegless
29-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Sadly, there seems little interest in match threads anymore, even on the day of our first win of the season. it seems like a waste of time and effort - for that reason, I wont bother with them anymore

tarquinbeech
29-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Dreadful goal to concede.....floated cross into the Notts penno box, a huge swing of the leg by the Hulk, completely misses it and the ball bounces off his arm? 2 yards to a completely unmarked Crewe player....early Xmas pressy for them.

Fitz has had two dodgy moments, a two-fisted punch that went all of 5 yards and landed on the edge of our penno box, and a clearance from a back-pass that turned into a daisy-cutter straight to a Crewe player.

Going forward we look pretty decent, the goal was an excellent combo of Hemmings twisting and turning inside their box, smashed a cross low-n-hard to Stead who gifted a ball to Milsom arriving late, classy goal.

Milsom almost got a straight red for a high tackle in midfield, Hewitt is a bit meeeeeh, Enzio is being double and treble marked, Evita looks decent overlapping with Aless.

Superb 2nd half from Notts, the key was Enzio and Aless swapping wings and both suddenly found loads of space and switched on the afterburners......the 2nd Notts goal came from a delightful cross from the constantly overlapping Evita, straight to an unmarked Hewey at the far post.....after that we piled on the pressure and could have had more goals, with Aless, Enzio, Stead and Hemmings all taking pot-shots at a shaky Crewe defence.......Fitz kept us in it with 2 excellent saves, for our first win of the season (our worst "winning start" since 1977?)

Sweaty rowlocks near the end, but we hung on......onwards and upwards.

nw6pie
29-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Yesssss!!! Nervy last 20 minutes but a deserved win in the end. Fitz had a good second half, as did Enzio, Cedric (my MOM), Steady and Louis. No idea why HK kept Stead on as he was dead on his feet after 70 minutes. Seemed obvious to swap him for Dennis, but we rode our luck - especially with two or three dangerous crosses from their left winger and a good save from Fitz low to his left. COYP!

CmonUSexyStylishPies
29-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Sadly, there seems little interest in match threads anymore, even on the day of our first win of the season. it seems like a waste of time and effort - for that reason, I wont bother with them anymore

What exactly are you basing this on?!

Missing you already by the way.

tarquinbeech
29-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Yesssss!!! Nervy last 20 minutes but a deserved win in the end. Fitz had a good second half, as did Enzio, Cedric (my MOM), Steady and Louis. No idea why HK kept Stead on as he was dead on his feet after 70 minutes. Seemed obvious to swap him for Dennis, but we rode our luck - especially with two or three dangerous crosses from their left winger and a good save from Fitz low to his left. COYP!

Totally agreed, Enzio and Evita combo was superb 2nd half, Aless and Steady worked their socks off....Milsom solid in midfield....Fitz made two classy saves to keep us in it and we held firm at CB despite the Hulk's error in the 1st half

upthemaggies
29-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Massive relief to finally get that first win. Let's set our sites on 18th now to climb out of the bottom quarter.

Crawley will probably be a tougher game on Tuesday but would be good to have a 4 point gap on Macc for the six-pointer next Saturday so they can't go into that game thinking they can overtake us if they win.

Bohinen
29-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Is it safe to call this a 3 match unbeaten run now? The full table on BBC shows the improvement in full colour, whereas Grimsby and Macc have 9 reds out of 10.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/table

CmonUSexyStylishPies
29-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Macclesfield 34 games without a win, that is seriously bad.

CheltenhamPie
29-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Since I am unable to be at many home games, I do rely on the match thread postings. For those of us who live away from Nottingham
The updates are invaluable. Please keep them going.
Pleased to add that I will be at the Crawley game on Tuesday.
COYP.

legs77
29-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Macclesfield 34 games without a win, that is seriously bad.

Derby have the record 36 I believe but Macclesfield did have some glory last season and they are not dead and buried by any means a win can change everything.

Hopefully for our sake they at least match the record set by Derby.

SwalePie
29-09-2018, 04:41 PM
I'm still in shock. Well done Notts. :)

irishpete
29-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Lets hope this kick starts the season.

51Magpie
29-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Since I am unable to be at many home games, I do rely on the match thread postings. For those of us who live away from Nottingham
The updates are invaluable. Please keep them going.
COYP.

Seconded!

LaxtonLad
29-09-2018, 05:20 PM

Drama queen alert!!!

countygump
29-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Drama queen alert!!!

Agreed. The match thread room is prob a bit sparse for the home matches but excellent for the away ones. A deserved victory spoiled only by Turley Wurley's unfortunate slip. Aless was my MOM, he was brill.

crazyfists
29-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Great feeling to get a win, was really nervous in the closing period but we saw it out. When I get home I'm going to party like it's 1862 ha ha.

MAD_MAGPIE
29-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Firstly we must keep the match threads going. Afterall this is a Football Forum.

Secondly what a relief we have finally got our first win of the season at game ten. The script of the start of the season was supposed to be Notts County in second place on 22 points, not Newport County!!

Anyway the main thing is we are now out of the bottom two and have gone three games unbeaten. So we’ve slowly started to turn the corner.

The irony is even though our start in the first ten games is so bad we have only lost two more than Bury who sit in 8th place just outside the playoffs. Also our goals scored is the same as Stevenage who are in 4th place.

We ideally need a win at home against Crawley to get some momentum and push on. No doubt HK will want us to put in a performance against his old team. I would take a point just to keep the unbeaten run going.

ncfcog
29-09-2018, 05:40 PM
After a very promising start the optimism that brought slowly dissipated after the equaliser and as the half went on. We seemed to be progressively losing our way again and old habits resurfaced as Crewe continuously managed to diseconomies our midfield and back for with relative ease.

Thankfully we finally appear to have a manager who can see where things are going wrong and what is needed to put it right. Second half we were more aggressive going after the second ball and it is obvious we are much more of a threat with Enzio playing on the left.

Hewitt has gone a long way towards redeeming himself today, it wasn’t a perfect performance from him but it was more in keeping with the Hewitt we got used to last season when he had Yates beside him and his goal will do his confidence the world of good.

The second half performance gives some hope that the corner is finally starting to be turned, although we still tried to make hard work of things at times.

Tuesday will be another big test, Crawley have just beaten Yeovil 3-0 and will be looking to get one over on HK.

All in all much better, but then it couldn’t be any worse, could it?

navypie
29-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Phew. Stead and Lewis joint MOTM. I wonder what durham as to say about Steady now. 2nd half was the best we have played this season and it was great to see Lewis get a standing ovation when he was substituted. Ref took a bit of stick but I didn't think he was that bad , would certainly win any funny runs competitions.

LaxtonLad
29-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Personally, sitting where I was, from my seat in the Kop, Elliot Ward was, speaking for myself you understand, my MOTM.

jacobncfc
29-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Good to see a manager basically win us a game with a tactical switch at half time. We looked far too open playing 4-4-2, and the attacking players were spread too far apart. Going to 4-2-3-1 allowed us to stop them having so much time on the ball in midfield, and also got Alessandra into a position where he could get on the ball and get Stead and Boldewijn, in particular, into the game.

I think that needs to be our default position going forwards - Milsom and Hewitt gives us a decent base and there are plenty of options in the three attacking midfield positions.

navypie
29-09-2018, 07:11 PM

Well a lot of us are actually at the match.

navypie
29-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Good to see a manager basically win us a game with a tactical switch at half time. We looked far too open playing 4-4-2, and the attacking players were spread too far apart. Going to 4-2-3-1 allowed us to stop them having so much time on the ball in midfield, and also got Alessandra into a position where he could get on the ball and get Stead and Boldewijn, in particular, into the game.

I think that needs to be our default position going forwards - Milsom and Hewitt gives us a decent base and there are plenty of options in the three attacking midfield positions.

Yep , great move by Harry putting Lewis into the midfield 'hole' , we made Crewe look like Barcelona in the first half. Crewe alawys play good football if you let them and we certainly stopped them playing in the second . I was really impressed with the lad who played wide out on the left for them.

JoePass
29-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Well a lot of us are actually at the match.

Dont be cruel, he was at home playing with his Lego.

sidders
29-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Dont be cruel, he was at home playing with his Lego.

Sod off. We have a Subbuteo league up here in North Yorkshire...

CmonUSexyStylishPies
29-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Match threads dying a death?

Stevenage match thread - 149 posts
Exeter match thread - 193 posts
Grimsby match thread - 155 posts

Moreton_Pie
30-09-2018, 04:12 AM
John Stead worked his gonads off yesterday. Quality quality professional and he was still chasing the cause in the 90th minute. TOP MAN!

for*sttown63
30-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Got to agree,never understood why certain members of this board slate him so much! Gave everything and as soon as the whistle went he was flat out on the grass! Give me another 10 with his commitment and I’m happy!

Wedgie_pie
30-09-2018, 05:19 PM
John Stead worked his gonads off yesterday. Quality quality professional and he was still chasing the cause in the 90th minute. TOP MAN!

Must admit I've had a go at Steady particularly towards the end of last season, but the last few games to my mind he's been one of our most consistent players... Just hope he stays fit and doesn't burn himself out...:s :)

Chicken Balti Pie
30-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Must admit I've had a go at Steady particularly towards the end of last season, but the last few games to my mind he's been one of our most consistent players... Just hope he stays fit and doesn't burn himself out...:s :)

I think that's the issue with Stead. He'll always give 100% but he gets worn out over the season to the point his ability suffers and he can't shoot for toffee. He is getting on in years, hopefully Hemmings and Dennis can take some of the slack off for him so he's not worn out again