PDA

View Full Version : O.T.:- Music gigs

Gubbie
12-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Change of direction from politics.
Just wondered what live gigs anyone as been too see in past few years that would recommend going too.

80milesSouth
12-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Went to the A-ha/OMD/Thompson twins concert last June at Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium and wondered why Meadow Lane could not host such an event. The pitch was protected by temporary flooring that slotted together like a giant jigsaw so damage to the playing surface should not be a concern

Gubbie
12-10-2018, 09:28 PM
That sounds like a cracking night lost voice i bet. I Saw omd in york they were excellent some gpod new stuff aswell. Simple minds in lincoln was great to see them but his voice isn't the best nowdays. DM were absolutely superb last year top live band

JoePass
12-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Roy Orbison and The Beatles at the Odean, Nottingham. Well, it was a few years ago.

jackal2
12-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Went to the A-ha/OMD/Thompson twins concert last June at Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium and wondered why Meadow Lane could not host such an event. The pitch was protected by temporary flooring that slotted together like a giant jigsaw so damage to the playing surface should not be a concern

In the mid-1990s I saw the shoegazing/Britpop band Lush perform in our own Meadow Club as it was then, which was quite something given that they were enjoying significant chart success at the time (Single Girl, Ladykillers etc). I don't know if it was a booking made before they hit the big time and they simply had to honour it, or whether they chose to play such a small/basic venue for the hell of it, but it did seem an odd choice! They did a professional job though.

magpiekev
13-10-2018, 07:01 AM
The Specials and Selecter at rock city. Going to see the Macc Lads there in December as well

ncfcog
13-10-2018, 07:10 AM
The Specials and Selecter at rock city. Going to see the Macc Lads there in December as well

Remember seeing all of those at Rock City in the 80’s. Looking at getting tickets for From The Jam for November but having to leave it late due to other commitments.

Also one of the weirdest gigs I ever went to was at The Palais circa 1985 where the list of acts playing that night included The Sweet, Bad Manners and Gary Glitter amongst others!

Gubbie
13-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Nice one ncfcog i would of liked to see The Jam is this band spot on? Ive seen New Model Army a couple of times ar rock city good nights. My uncle was in The Sweets fan club quite like a few of their songs fox on the run, ****age rampage ect lol

LaxtonLad
13-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Roy Orbison and The Beatles at the Odean, Nottingham. Well, it was a few years ago.

I saw the Beatles at the Odeon, too, and when I say saw, I do mean saw, as I never heard a thing except John Lennon shouting "SHURRUP!" at all the girls screaming. 7s 6p it cost me (37.5p) to hear a load of ****age gels screaming their lungs out.
I also saw them at the old Elizabethan Rooms off Upper Parliament Street, a bit classier this, 15 shillings! (75p) and you could actually hear the music.

My favourites were always The Beatles and Bob Dylan, but it's only worth seeing Bob Dylan just so's you could say you've seen Bob Dylan. I saw him at what is now the Motorpoint Arena, no atmosphere, no reaction or chat with the audience, nothing, no announcement of the next song, changing the tunes of his most well-known songs enough to make them unrecognisable. I also saw him at the old Aston Villa Sports Club (or something like that) on his Unplugged tour, same non-atmosphere, just the same except you could recognise the songs.

ncfcog
13-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Nice one ncfcog i would of liked to see The Jam is this band spot on? Ive seen New Model Army a couple of times ar rock city good nights. My uncle was in The Sweets fan club quite like a few of their songs fox on the run, ****age rampage ect lol

From The Jam is Bruce Foxtons band, they are pretty much spot on to be fair.

seriouspie
13-10-2018, 10:00 AM

Aye ......... Orbison, Presley.... both brilliant. Sorry Joe I never liked the Beatles ...... but many did. I can lay fame to seeing Haley at the Odeon and another time, Buddy Holly and the supporting act of Cliff Richard. However way back then, the Yanks certainly had the far superior artists. The likes of Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Vince Eager were pale shadows compared to Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran, the Platters and others.

BigFatPie
13-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Liam Gallagher at Ally Pally in December was f00kin great. I’m a bigger fan of Noel, but his songs aren’t as good to hear live nowadays. The Manics are really good live as well.

magpiekev
13-10-2018, 10:25 AM
From the jam played woolaton park festill before it was called splendour

ncfcog
13-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Aye ......... Orbison, Presley.... both brilliant. Sorry Joe I never liked the Beatles ...... but many did. I can lay fame to seeing Haley at the Odeon and another time, Buddy Holly and the supporting act of Cliff Richard. However way back then, the Yanks certainly had the far superior artists. The likes of Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Vince Eager were pale shadows compared to Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran, the Platters and others.

Elvis only ever visited the UK once in his lifetime … any guesses? It was, let’s say a flying visit!

ManchesterMagpie
13-10-2018, 11:23 AM
In the mid-1990s I saw the shoegazing/Britpop band Lush perform in our own Meadow Club as it was then, which was quite something given that they were enjoying significant chart success at the time (Single Girl, Ladykillers etc). I don't know if it was a booking made before they hit the big time and they simply had to honour it, or whether they chose to play such a small/basic venue for the hell of it, but it did seem an odd choice! They did a professional job though.

I was at the Lush gig too. For some reason the Meadow Club was branded 'Connection' for the couple of live gigs it hosted and Lush played there on Saturday night (30th March 1996 to be precise) after Notts had beaten Carlisle 3-1 at home that afternoon. Gary Jones scored a brace and Gary Martindale got the other if anyone is interested?! >;)

Me and a couple of mates managed to blag the head barman (Mick?) into letting us stay in the club after the match. We got to watch the band sound-check and have a few more beers before the doors opened and the rest of the punters poured in. Top day that.

I was also in the Meadow Club when Ocean Colour Scene played there. This was also a bit of a 'coup' since Chris Evans had been bigging them up on his breakfast show for a couple of weeks and their Riverboat Song was about to become his TFI Friday theme tune. The place was packed and I can remember quite a few mods turning up on scooters outside the club (OCS were then known as 'Paul Weller's 'backing band').

I could be wrong but I think the very first TFI Friday show went out a week or two after OCS played at Meadow Lane and they soon became a big part of the Britpop scene. Great days :)

Jeekay56
13-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Elvis only ever visited the UK once in his lifetime … any guesses? It was, let’s say a flying visit!

In 1960 on the way home from doing his military service in Germany, he changed Aeroplanes at Prestwick.

seriouspie
13-10-2018, 11:48 AM
In 1960 on the way home from doing his military service in Germany, he changed Aeroplanes at Prestwick.

That's true.

rorylee
13-10-2018, 12:49 PM
I saw the Beatles at the Odeon, too, and when I say saw, I do mean saw, as I never heard a thing except John Lennon shouting "SHURRUP!" at all the girls screaming. 7s 6p it cost me (37.5p) to hear a load of ****age gels screaming their lungs out.
I also saw them at the old Elizabethan Rooms off Upper Parliament Street, a bit classier this, 15 shillings! (75p) and you could actually hear the music.

My favourites were always The Beatles and Bob Dylan, but it's only worth seeing Bob Dylan just so's you could say you've seen Bob Dylan. I saw him at what is now the Motorpoint Arena, no atmosphere, no reaction or chat with the audience, nothing, no announcement of the next song, changing the tunes of his most well-known songs enough to make them unrecognisable. I also saw him at the old Aston Villa Sports Club (or something like that) on his Unplugged tour, same non-atmosphere, just the same except you could recognise the songs.

I was at the Dylan gig too. Worst performance I've ever seen in my life - horrendous! Such a shame as he'd always been a musical god for up until that point.

Foals are always worth seeing in a small venue.

ncfcog
13-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Correct!

LaxtonLad
13-10-2018, 02:57 PM
I was at the Dylan gig too. Worst performance I've ever seen in my life - horrendous! Such a shame as he'd always been a musical god for up until that point.

Foals are always worth seeing in a small venue.

What amazes me is he is still doing world tours. His voice went years ago but he still fills the stadia, probably with people like me who have all his albums and still play them, I wouldn't go to another of his gigs though.

Back to the plot now, sort of. A few years ago I saw the Bootleg Beatles at the Concert Hall and when they walked onto the stage in their early '60s suits with the German-style rounded collars it gave me goosebumps. So uncanny, it was like going back to over fifty years ago, and me, a young sprog had never seen or heard owt like it.

Old git reminiscences over.

upthemaggies
13-10-2018, 03:11 PM

I do wonder if the appetite for Mersey Beat would have ever spread nationwide had Elvis toured Britain between 60 and 62. There was a degree of hysteria for Cliff and some of those Larry Parnes acts but nothing on the scale we would have seen for Elvis and then got for The Beatles and The Stones. Elvis however, by that time, was very much deferential to his elders, he wouldn't have changed attitudes, it would have been disastrous for the rock scene and could have set it back as much as a decade.
It's staggering really that in the year you've got the Tsar bomb being dropped and, another year on, the Cuban missile crisis, the most edgy act on the TV and radio is a bunch of geeks doing choreographed leg kicks to guitar instrumentals. Even the folk scene hadn't got started properly. Who were the people on the CND marches listening to? That Dave Brubeck single on repeat? It's astonishing to me that those in power had such an incredibly firm grip on the youth at that time, though obviously it wasn't to last much longer. The pace of change between 64 and 69 will never be repeated.

durhampie
13-10-2018, 04:16 PM
My band once supported them..

Wedgie_pie
13-10-2018, 05:40 PM
That sounds like a cracking night lost voice i bet. I Saw omd in york they were excellent some gpod new stuff aswell. Simple minds in lincoln was great to see them but his voice isn't the best nowdays. DM were absolutely superb last year top live band

To answer your question Gubbie I've been to a few concerts at the Concert Hall over the last couple of years and I must say Jools Holland is a great evening (seen him three times so far, going again in November)...Also seeing Billy Ocean and Gladys Knight next year...

I also saw The Beatles(with my then girlfriend who screamed her bloody head off all the way through it) at the Odeon and The Rolling Stones at The Albert Hall in the 60's...But clubs like the Dungeon and The Boat Club had some great acts...just to name of few of my favourites, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Stevie Wonder, Long John Baldry, The Who, Small Faces, and The Steam Packet which included a very young Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll and LJB...

Gubbie
13-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Did u sack her off for the screaming? must of been annoying haha. I saw u2 at Twickenham last year but bono spoilt it slightly with his political rants all the time. The cure were great at hyde park

navypie
13-10-2018, 07:40 PM
My band once supported them..

Who? And I mean who, not 'The'.

Elite_Pie
13-10-2018, 08:00 PM
I think the last gig I went to was Faithless at the ice arena about 10 years ago. Great performance, sh!t venue. My best memories are of punk gigs getting on for forty years ago seeing the likes of The Dead Kennedys and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Punk in the 70s changed the music scene in a massive positive way, f@cking off the big producers and spawning loads of independent labels. I find this thread a bit odd to be honest, in that it seems to asking for recommendations on what to go and see. Surely we all like what we like without asking anyone else to tell us? Some people revere The Beatles, personally I would rather listen to the screeches of mating cats.

sidders
13-10-2018, 08:07 PM
I can recommend the Open Air Theatre at Scarborough and most acts seem to thrive on the atmosphere there, which is why they come back time and again.
JAMES were outstanding a couple of months ago. Tim Booth got crowd-surfed and one or two naughty people gave him a tough time. For a man in his fifties, his voice is still in good shape and I love the lyrics on their latest album.

rhbpie
13-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Saw The Script, Texas & The Stereophonics at Scarborough this year and all were good. Stereophonics were the best of the lot. Lucky enough to see Van Morrison when he opened the new venue in Hull in August this year & caught Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott and George Ezra at Dalby. Tickets to see Mumford & Sons in December in Leeds, they were very good last time.

nw6pie
13-10-2018, 10:50 PM
I can recommend the Open Air Theatre at Scarborough and most acts seem to thrive on the atmosphere there, which is why they come back time and again.
JAMES were outstanding a couple of months ago. Tim Booth got crowd-surfed and one or two naughty people gave him a tough time. For a man in his fifties, his voice is still in good shape and I love the lyrics on their latest album.

I took my 16-year-old to that gig too, and she loved it despite not knowing many James albums. I’ve been a huge fan for 30 years and for me they’re one of the best live bands out there (along with the Manics).

Agree with you about the Open Air Theatre - great venue right next to the beach, perfect on a sunny day.

Am going to see ELO at the O2 Arena on Wednesday - hope they live up to expectations as I think Jeff Lynne was a genius songwriter back in the day.

durhampie
13-10-2018, 11:17 PM
Who? And I mean who, not 'The'.

The Bootleg Beatles and the Searchers...

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 07:07 AM
Im not asking anyone to tell me who to go and see elite ive been to quite a few i just love most genre's of music. Some bands are still or starting to tour again. Some bands are rubbish live some venues are good/bad and its better than politics

Bridg4d_Pie_
14-10-2018, 08:36 AM

Wow, now there hang on Buddy at the Odeon Cinema, where Des O'Conor was the compare on that tour I saw the Crickets at Demontfort Hall Leicester in 1960 with Bobby Vee & the New Beats superb show. Also during my time in the music business 1960 to 1978 I played guitar for Vince Eager, he had a great a voice and still does today so just give some credit where its do.
I have to agree that back in the day though there was no comparison between a Fender, Gibson and a Hofner guitars though, speaking as one who has owned all.

Bridg4d_Pie_
14-10-2018, 08:38 AM

Touched down in the land of the Jock's to refuel on his way from Germany back to the States whilst serving for Uncle Sam.

seriouspie
14-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Wow, now there hang on Buddy at the Odeon Cinema, where Des O'Conor was the compare on that tour I saw the Crickets at Demontfort Hall Leicester in 1960 with Bobby Vee & the New Beats superb show. Also during my time in the music business 1960 to 1978 I played guitar for Vince Eager, he had a great a voice and still does today so just give some credit where its do.
I have to agree that back in the day though there was no comparison between a Fender, Gibson and a Hofner guitars though, speaking as one who has owned all.

Hey up youth ........ I'm not discrediting Mr Eager as he 'made it' so to speak and good luck to him. I guess you're possibly 5-6 years younger than me so I can say I was at the right age to see the birth of proper rock'roll in the U.K. and the 'big boys' were certainly the Yanks. It's all a matter of opinion on whom one liked or disliked at that time. I put together a small band (we were rubbish) and Stu Burgan who I believe you know, bought his first guitar and played for us. Our singer was Duncan Campbell who regularly entered talent contests at the Vic and also appeared at the Empire in the Carroll Levis 'discovery show'. Alan Roper was another budding singer (a schoolmate) who was on the local scene and also played double bass with Al Washbrook's (??)) band at the Vic. I'd like to get in touch with Alan if you know him, if he's still around.

You obviously carried on whereas I got fed up and packed it in - and it's good to hear you retained your interest. Now I'm old, like many fortunate enough to remember those days, the jiving, playing football and cricket, snookering and playing darts are long gone. The only participating sport I now have (as you do I believe) is fishing. I'll have to invite you for a day out at Averham on the Trent (a small club ... only 7 private pegs) but excellent barbel to 12 lb's if you're patient! Keep strumming on !!

BigFatPie
14-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Well this thread will put to bed once and for all the myth that Notts fans are a load of old farts. Anybody remember Victorian music hall and Jack the Ripper?

seriouspie
14-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Well this thread will put to bed once and for all the myth that Notts fans are a load of old farts. Anybody remember Victorian music hall and Jack the Ripper?

Good morning Fatboy ..... sorry I can't go back that far. However without the older generation i.e. Jack Dunnett, Lou Levin. Billy Barrowcliffe, John Mountenay and Derek Pavis to name a few, there would be no Notts County FC. I take onboard your sarcasm but as you know this is the lowest form of wit and as this often means constipation, I feel for you. Therefore as I understand you are having a few financial problems at present, please allow me to pay for a bag of prunes. Do however take them before next Wednesday as the last thing I would want is you smelling whilst you're on your big day out next Saturday.

navypie
14-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Love The Clash and saw them many times live. Never dressed like one but loved me punk back in the day. Bands like The Damned , Stiff Little Fingers and Buzzcocks , seen them all. I also remember seeing Joy Division ( I think it was in Derby) not long before Ian Curtis topped himself. One of my favourite gigs was UB40 at the Concert Hall in 2003 , just after England had won the Rugby World Cup. They sang 'Swing Low' and the place erupted.

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 01:09 PM
Love The Clash and saw them many times live. Never dressed like one but loved me punk back in the day. Bands like The Damned , Stiff Little Fingers and Buzzcocks , seen them all. I also remember seeing Joy Division ( I think it was in Derby) not long before Ian Curtis topped himself. One of my favourite gigs was UB40 at the Concert Hall in 2003 , just after England had won the Rugby World Cup. They sang 'Swing Low' and the place erupted.

Blimey yeah stiff little fingers are they still on the go? I liked 999 aswell the damned were great use to watch indie chart hits on channel 4

CmonUSexyStylishPies
14-10-2018, 01:17 PM
The Prodigy last year and Noel Gallagher this year, both at the Motorpoint Arena.

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Saw noel with u2 didnt rate him much though we were bit wobbly sounded like he used alot of tweeks and stuff on his voice. Im thinking of going to see muse, as anyone on seen them?

navypie
14-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Blimey yeah stiff little fingers are they still on the go? I liked 999 aswell the damned were great use to watch indie chart hits on channel 4

I would like to think they aren't. Looking back , some of the groups i liked were bloody awful. Joy Division were just depressing . Two other gigs I remember at Rock City were New Order and Orange Juice. Everyone at the New Order gig is giving it the usual 'more more' when it's announced " New Order do not do encores " . I don't think I was the only one who thought thank fcuk. Orange Juice were possibly the worse band I have ever seen live.

navypie
14-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Good morning Fatboy ..... sorry I can't go back that far. However without the older generation i.e. Jack Dunnett, Lou Levin. Billy Barrowcliffe, John Mountenay and Derek Pavis to name a few, there would be no Notts County FC. I take onboard your sarcasm but as you know this is the lowest form of wit and as this often means constipation, I feel for you. Therefore as I understand you are having a few financial problems at present, please allow me to pay for a bag of prunes. Do however take them before next Wednesday as the last thing I would want is you smelling whilst you're on your big day out next Saturday.

I think fat boy is more of a Little Mix and One Direction fan.

Jeekay56
14-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Im thinking of going to see muse, as anyone on seen them?

I saw them in 2006 at the Arena.

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 02:58 PM
I saw them in 2006 at the Arena.

Are they good live?

crazyfists
14-10-2018, 04:28 PM
I would like to think they aren't. Looking back , some of the groups i liked were bloody awful. Joy Division were just depressing . Two other gigs I remember at Rock City were New Order and Orange Juice. Everyone at the New Order gig is giving it the usual 'more more' when it's announced " New Order do not do encores " . I don't think I was the only one who thought thank fcuk. Orange Juice were possibly the worse band I have ever seen live.

I saw stiff little fingers two years ago at Leeds academy, our lass introduced me to them. They were still going strong, it was a good gig.

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 04:54 PM
I thought id heard they were still going!! .tin soldiers class song ill have a look see if theyre doing anymore.

forwardmagpie
14-10-2018, 05:22 PM
I thought id heard they were still going!! .tin soldiers class song ill have a look see if theyre doing anymore.

Now you know the truth !

navypie
14-10-2018, 05:45 PM
I saw stiff little fingers two years ago at Leeds academy, our lass introduced me to them. They were still going strong, it was a good gig.

Brilliant in their day crazy

forwardmagpie
14-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Brilliant in their day crazy

Saw them in Derby in 1977 fantastic performance.

Saw them again in Rock City a few years ago - still good.

History’s a thing of the past, being first just cannot last

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 05:55 PM
They are touring next year leeds march 6th notts march 13th rock city

maddogslater
14-10-2018, 06:29 PM
I think the last gig I went to was Faithless at the ice arena about 10 years ago. Great performance, sh!t venue. My best memories are of punk gigs getting on for forty years ago seeing the likes of The Dead Kennedys and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Punk in the 70s changed the music scene in a massive positive way, f@cking off the big producers and spawning loads of independent labels. I find this thread a bit odd to be honest, in that it seems to asking for recommendations on what to go and see. Surely we all like what we like without asking anyone else to tell us? Some people revere The Beatles, personally I would rather listen to the screeches of mating cats.

So right re the punk scene in the 70s , went to loads best was the clash at de montford hall Leicester in 78

BigFatPie
14-10-2018, 06:35 PM

Christ, from a post taking the piss out of all the owd folk contributing to this thread you’ve deduced I’ve got constipation and financial problems. It must be those powers of logic which have contributed to your outstanding business success.

CUSSP, what did you think to Noel at the Arena, I thought it was very subdued, but he is trying to shake off the Parka Monkeys?

forwardmagpie
14-10-2018, 06:48 PM
So right re the punk scene in the 70s , went to loads best was the clash at de montford hall Leicester in 78

Clash
Fingers
Undertones
Buzzcocks
Slits

Were my top 5

cocopops61
14-10-2018, 08:01 PM
My mate once took me to a gig by some group called Gay Bikers On Acid,after they had finished there was another group on afterwards that was called Lesbian Dopeheads On Mopeds which was the former group but dressed up as women,I'm still not sure if I dreamt it

Gubbie
14-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Gay bikers on acid used to be on channel 4 indie chart hits on Saturday morning strawberry switchblade i remember it was a brilliant programme

rorylee
14-10-2018, 11:47 PM
I'm off to see Glasvegas on Thursday if anyone is going? Amazing first album and then turned **** after that...luckily they are touring the first album!

Mapperleypie
15-10-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm off to see Glasvegas on Thursday if anyone is going? Amazing first album and then turned **** after that...luckily they are touring the first album!

Really liked that album. Saw them live at Trent Uni around that time, the sound was cr@p which made it a pretty average experience.

Should be decent at the Rescue Rooms.

MancMagpie
16-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Change of direction from politics.
Just wondered what live gigs anyone as been too see in past few years that would recommend going too.

THIS..... In Notts on 29th Nov at bodega apparently....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ib6c4sesDg

Gubbie
16-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Blimey quite liked that Manc think i could only do bout 4 songs though unless i was on acid which i dont do lol

ManchesterMagpie
16-10-2018, 05:17 PM
The Vryll Society from Liverpool are my favourite 'new' band. They've been around for a couple of years but have just released their debut album. Off to see them in Manchester tonight - the 6th time Ive seen them. If they're in Notts again go see them (they last played at the Bodega a year or so back). Fave track here...https://youtu.be/LxDXcg8rx3E

Gubbie
16-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Really like METROPOLIS excellent track ill look out for them cheers for that 👍

MancMagpie
16-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Blimey quite liked that Manc think i could only do bout 4 songs though unless i was on acid which i dont do lol

Here's another from the mighty Henge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWhijG_eQk&start_radio=1&list=RDCAWhijG_eQk

I believe there's another Henge from London, but they are more like Doom Metal. These guys are defo more fun! This vid a bit like Pink Floyd animation

LaticiaOrlich
09-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Any Champions OST? the latest one?

SaltySeaDog
09-01-2019, 11:03 AM
Last gig for me was Fat Freddy's Drop at Brixton Academy.

Seen them quite a few times now, and they are amazing live. Really get the place going