PDA

View Full Version : The FA Cup

cocopops61
17-10-2018, 05:54 PM
This year's FA Cup draw is being made live on BBC 2 at 7pm this Monday,who would you like given the choice,anybody but non league for me

alfinyalcabo
17-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Looks like the final will still be at Wembley as the deal to buy it has fallen through.. Maybe it's Nottm County's year Chalky mate ? O:)

Elite_Pie
17-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Of all the options available I would probably go for Alfreton away despite the banana skin potential. I couldn't help but notice that Dunston UTS, the lowest ranked team left in the competition got their dream draw at home to Gateshead, who play less than 4 miles away. The game has been selected for broadcast on BBC media platforms, which will give a fantastic boost to Dunston's finances. This is what the romance of the FA Cup is all about, because these days it means far more to lower league clubs than it does the big boys in the Premiership who seem to see it as an irritation.

alfinyalcabo
17-10-2018, 06:41 PM
My team is in the Premiership at the moment,maybe not at the end of the season,but I would love to see them go on an F.A. cup run ,but it never seems to happen.. To my disgust,The management just seem to play with the squad players and not the first teamers . They don't give a toss what the fans want..The FA cup has lost its way some years ago now Elite..

cocopops61
17-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Burnley have done well to stay in the Premier League for as long as they have Alf,the £100 million that they will get for getting relegated will sweeten the taste no doubt

Elite_Pie
17-10-2018, 07:11 PM
My team is in the Premiership at the moment,maybe not at the end of the season,but I would love to see them go on an F.A. cup run ,but it never seems to happen.. To my disgust,The management just seem to play with the squad players and not the first teamers . They don't give a toss what the fans want..The FA cup has lost its way some years ago now Elite..

Probably right, but I would say that the FA Cup has only lost it's way for clubs at the top level, who hold all the power. The lower down the leagues you go, the more the magic is still there. I will be tuning in eagerly to BBC2 at 7pm on Monday.

upthemaggies
17-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Assuming we will be comfortably lower-mid table by December and not likely to trouble the top 7 this campaign, the FA Cup takes on more importance. Let's have no repeat of an 8-1 thrashing though, thanks.

I hope we get Jamie Fullarton's Halifax, that'll be a laugh. They are still in it, yes?

alfinyalcabo
17-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Burnley have done well to stay in the Premier League for as long as they have Alf,the £100 million that they will get for getting relegated will sweeten the taste no doubt

Its actually 150 million Chalky ( 75 million for two seasons) obscene isn't it ..

ncfcog
17-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Its actually 150 million Chalky ( 75 million for two seasons) obscene isn't it ..

I think the £1m is the parachute payment + £75m just for being In the PL … or something like that. Either way it’s just ludicrous.

cocopops61
17-10-2018, 09:20 PM
I think the £1m is the parachute payment + £75m just for being In the PL … or something like that. Either way it’s just ludicrous.

The parachute payments for coming out of the PL is far greater than £1m,Alfs right about the £75m but with the tv rights and various other add ons it's around £100million
I've got no problem with clubs like Burnley getting their chance to dip their toes in the big pool but it's clubs like the top six that gorge themselves on the money they no can't stand

metrocab
17-10-2018, 11:24 PM
Marine fc home or away after they have hopefully knocked Salford out on saturday!

ncfcog
18-10-2018, 06:54 AM
The parachute payments for coming out of the PL is far greater than £1m,Alfs right about the £75m but with the tv rights and various other add ons it's around £100million
I've got no problem with clubs like Burnley getting their chance to dip their toes in the big pool but it's clubs like the top six that gorge themselves on the money they no can't stand

Sorry, I meant £100m, fingers not keeping up with brain haha!

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Probably right, but I would say that the FA Cup has only lost it's way for clubs at the top level, who hold all the power. The lower down the leagues you go, the more the magic is still there. I will be tuning in eagerly to BBC2 at 7pm on Monday.

Wow...just wow....you ridicule me (plus the 1,000 plus Notts fans that turned up for the Checkatrade) and tell everyone to boycott the "tinpot trophy"....."because the big clubs have devalued it by playing their reserve teams"

When I point out that Coventry and Lincoln got behind the Checkatrade and picked up circa £500,000, spent the money on better players and advanced their teams....I'm called a whore.

NOW, it's the FA Cup and the top teams are playing their "B teams" it's different?????.......according to you it's ok for Notts to take part because of "the romance"?....I really am confused as you seem to change your mind on issues depending on what side of the bed you get out of

BigFatPie
18-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Wow...just wow....you ridicule me (plus the 1,000 plus Notts fans that turned up for the Checkatrade) and tell everyone to boycott the "tinpot trophy"....."because the big clubs have devalued it by playing their reserve teams"

When I point out that Coventry and Lincoln got behind the Checkatrade and picked up circa £500,000, spent the money on better players and advanced their teams....I'm called a whore.

NOW, it's the FA Cup and the top teams are playing their "B teams" it's different?????.......according to you it's ok for Notts to take part because of "the romance"?....I really am confused as you seem to change your mind on issues depending on what side of the bed you get out of

Holy Shyte

Brexiters: We write by and far away the most stupid, ill informed guff on NCM.

Tarquin: Hold my beer.

magpie_mania
18-10-2018, 08:47 AM

What a daft post!

It's nothing to do with the big clubs playing their B teams in the Checkatrade and devaluing it ... it's because they are in there at all and it's the start of them trying to be able to enter B teams in the FL.

Of course we take part in the FA Cup - I don't think it's right that the bigger teams don't play their first team, I don't agree with playing the semis at Wembley ... but especially in the first couple of rounds, the romance is there.

Elite_Pie
18-10-2018, 09:17 AM

A lot of things seem to confuse you, so I'll try and explain because I haven't changed my mind one tiny little bit. The Pisspot Trophy seemed a good idea at the time it started because it gave two level 3 and 4 clubs the chance of a day out at Wembley. It never really took off, but I still used to go to the home games. The introduction of Premiership B teams changed that for the vast majority of fans, who saw it as the first step to getting them into the Football League, replacing real clubs and destroying over a century of history and tradition. A campaign for a nationwide boycott was started, and I am a firm supporter of it.

I still love the FA Cup, it seems an irrelevance to the top teams but it still retains it's magic for the lower clubs. Two very different things, and I haven't changed my mind on either in the slightest. If you are too stupid to see the difference that's your problem, not mine.

i961pie
18-10-2018, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=BigFatPie;39040081

You underestimate yourself.

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 02:38 PM
A lot of things seem to confuse you, so I'll try and explain because I haven't changed my mind one tiny little bit. The Pisspot Trophy seemed a good idea at the time it started because it gave two level 3 and 4 clubs the chance of a day out at Wembley. It never really took off, but I still used to go to the home games. The introduction of Premiership B teams changed that for the vast majority of fans, who saw it as the first step to getting them into the Football League, replacing real clubs and destroying over a century of history and tradition. A campaign for a nationwide boycott was started, and I am a firm supporter of it.

I still love the FA Cup, it seems an irrelevance to the top teams but it still retains it's magic for the lower clubs. Two very different things, and I haven't changed my mind on either in the slightest. If you are too stupid to see the difference that's your problem, not mine.

OK......so it's fine for Man City or Newcastle to field their U23s against us in the FA Cup, because it's "romantic"....but it's not ok for them to field the same 11 players against us last week in the Checkatrade because some bright spark started a national boycott campaign against OFFICIAL U23 teams.

Personally I think that is a hypocritical position to take and typical of your argumentative position on most subjects.....one minute you are arguing for a position (and slagging off anyone who dares to suggest otherwise) whilst the next you are taking the opposite view....I guess it takes all sorts!!

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 02:41 PM
What a daft post!

It's nothing to do with the big clubs playing their B teams in the Checkatrade and devaluing it ... it's because they are in there at all and it's the start of them trying to be able to enter B teams in the FL.

Of course we take part in the FA Cup - I don't think it's right that the bigger teams don't play their first team, I don't agree with playing the semis at Wembley ... but especially in the first couple of rounds, the romance is there.

So the "romance" is there for the first few rounds?......after that, when we end up drawn to play Newcastle or Man City U23s (unofficially), we should boycott the fixture because they are "devaluing the FA Cup"?.......got it.

magpie_mania
18-10-2018, 02:45 PM
OK......so it's fine for Man City to field their U23s against us in the FA Cup, because it's "romantic"....but it's not ok for them to field the same 11 players against us last week in the Checkatrade because some bright spark started a national boycott campaign against OFFICIAL U23 teams.

Personally I think that is a hypocritical position to take and typical of your argumentative position on most subjects.....one minute you are arguing for a position (and slagging off anyone who dares to suggest otherwise) whilst the next you are taking the opposite view....I guess it takes all sorts!!

Can't you understand?

It is not about entering under-strength teams in the FA Cup.

It's about them being in the Checkatrade Trophy in any form.

It's not hard ... just think about it carefully and one day, the penny might drop (although it seems to be taking an awful long time).

I assume you'll be happy if Prem & Championship teams can enter B teams in Leagues 1 or 2?

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Holy Shyte

Tarquin: Hold my beer.

No idea what this means....is there a translator in the house?

Elite_Pie
18-10-2018, 02:51 PM
OK......so it's fine for Man City or Newcastle to field their U23s against us in the FA Cup, because it's "romantic"....but it's not ok for them to field the same 11 players against us last week in the Checkatrade because some bright spark started a national boycott campaign against OFFICIAL U23 teams.

I'm pretty sure you're only arguing because it's me. The only other option is that you are pigsh!t thick. Ignore the fact I've posted it, just type 'Checkatrade Trophy boycott' into google and it will be explained clearly by diehard fans the length and breadth of the country.

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Can't you understand?

It is not about entering under-strength teams in the FA Cup.

It's about them being in the Checkatrade Trophy in any form.

It's not hard ... just think about it carefully and one day, the penny might drop (although it seems to be taking an awful long time).

I assume you'll be happy if Prem & Championship teams can enter B teams in Leagues 1 or 2?

Can't I understand?....errrrr, no

Both you and the other idiot appear to be saying that a boycott of the Checkatrade is justified because Premier League clubs have registered U23 sides......ok, I got that bit.......BUT then you both admit that Premier Clubs do the same in the FA Cup, but that is somehow justified because of the "romance".......IMO, as soon as we spot we are playing an under-strength team in the 3rd round, we should boycott that round....just to be consistent.

Has the peso dropped?

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure you're only arguing because it's me. The only other option is that you are pigsh!t thick. Ignore the fact I've posted it, just type 'Checkatrade Trophy boycott' into google and it will be explained clearly by diehard fans the length and breadth of the country.

I'm pretty sure that intelligence has nothing to do with this.....it's a matter of hypocrisy

Elite_Pie
18-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Both you and the other idiot appear to be saying that a boycott of the Checkatrade is justified because Premier League clubs have registered U23 sides......ok, I got that bit.......BUT then you both admit that Premier Clubs do the same in the FA Cup, but that is somehow justified because of the "romance".......IMO, as soon as we spot we are playing an under-strength team in the 3rd round, we should boycott that round....just to be consistent.

Has the peso dropped?

So answer this question for us all - would you be happy if the Premiership bunged a few pennies so that their B teams could take the place of real clubs (maybe Notts) in the Football League? None of your usual evasive bullsh!t, just give a simple yes or no.

magpie_mania
18-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Has the peso dropped?

I will make it simple.

It is because they have any side at all in the Checkatrade. The reason being, that we see it as a step towards them getting B teams into the league.

In the FA Cup they can do what they like.

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 03:01 PM
So answer this question for us all - would you be happy if the Premiership bunged a few pennies so that their B teams could take the place of real clubs (maybe Notts) in the Football League? None of your usual evasive bullsh!t, just give a simple yes or no.

Of course I wouldn't.

Edit - That's a NO

Elite_Pie
18-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Of course I wouldn't.

Edit - That's a NO

Wow, a chink of light! The introduction of B teams into the Football league is pretty much the sole reason for the Checkatrade boycott. Many of us fans of lower league clubs (87% if I remember right) see this as a first step to this happening. Now do you see why this is completely different to playing a weakened team in the FA Cup?

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 03:21 PM
I will make it simple.

It is because they have any side at all in the Checkatrade. The reason being, that we see it as a step towards them getting B teams into the league.

In the FA Cup they can do what they like.

This answer has no logic......Checkatrade, Premier B teams = possible B teams in League = boycott (and delight when we are knocked out)?.......FA Cup, Premier B teams = unbridled passion and romance (and full grounds), without any threat to Premier B teams in the League?

So the Premier teams are using the Checkatrade as Trojan Horse to enter the EFL?.....but not the FA Cup (and presumably the Caribou Cup) which we happily take part in, despite Premier Clubs never allowing their top 11 players to enter until the later rounds, and usually against other Premier Clubs.

I understand your concerns but until I see some proof of this "plot", I'm inclined to see this as an overactive imagination sprinkled with a hefty dose of hypocrisy

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Wow, a chink of light! The introduction of B teams into the Football league is pretty much the sole reason for the Checkatrade boycott. Many of us fans of lower league clubs (87% if I remember right) see this as a first step to this happening. Now do you see why this is completely different to playing a weakened team in the FA Cup?

Do you have any proof of this?....or is this just another "gut instinct" call, similar to your "we will all be 5% worse off after Brexit"

Elite_Pie
18-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Do you have any proof of this?....or is this just another "gut instinct" call, similar to your "we will all be 5% worse off after Brexit"

Did you see the proposal for a 5 division / 100 club Football League? Where do you think the extra clubs would have come from? Fortunately, because of the passionate opposition from lower league fans it was scrapped. You might be happy to sleepwalk into it because you don't see any 'proof', but most fans adopt a zero tolerance policy because the idea is so obscene. That's why it's a completely different thing to the big boys fielding a weakened team in the FA CUP.

magpie_mania
18-10-2018, 03:46 PM
This answer has no logic......Checkatrade, Premier B teams = possible B teams in League = boycott (and delight when we are knocked out)?.......FA Cup, Premier B teams = unbridled passion and romance (and full grounds), without any threat to Premier B teams in the League?

So the Premier teams are using the Checkatrade as Trojan Horse to enter the EFL?.....but not the FA Cup (and presumably the Caribou Cup) which we happily take part in, despite Premier Clubs never allowing their top 11 players to enter until the later rounds, and usually against other Premier Clubs.

I understand your concerns but until I see some proof of this "plot", I'm inclined to see this as an overactive imagination sprinkled with a hefty dose of hypocrisy

And you inferred that I'm stupid!

Of course they aren't using the FA Cup to get B team into the league. IT'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT TEAM THEY PUT OUT IN THAT COMPETITION. As the FA Cup has been taking place since 1872, I think that's pretty obvious.

No hypocrisy whatsoever:
The Checkatrade was for L1 and L2 teams - the others have forced their way in.
The FA Cup is, always has been and always will be for all.

ncfcog
18-10-2018, 04:28 PM

Hi Tarkers, can I try and add to some of the comments above but put it in a slightly different way.

I'm fortunate enough to have a season ticket to watch a club I have supported for 40 years, a club with a PROUD history, a founder member of the Football League.

We are extremely lucky that to date we still have a Notts County to support, let's be right, we've had a few scrapes with extinction. What I really want is for myself and other supporters for generations to come to be able to enjoy what I currently experience every other Saturday down The Lane but also at every other lower league club that finds themselves in the same precarious situation as ourselves.

Earlier in this thread there was discussion about the prize money and parachute payments paid for essentially failing in the Premier League, relegation is worth approx £175m . . . that's for one team and massively dwarfs the pittance shared out to clubs outside the top two divisions.

The Checkatrade Trophy competition is actually the Football League Trophy, a competition created for the bottom two divisions only and a chance for additional revenue and possibly a Wembley final appearance.

The inclusion of up to 16 Premier League and Championship 'B' teams was introduced by the Football League after PL clubs suggested opportunities for their young starlets to be involved in competitive football matches was few and far between. To put this into perspective it was recently reported that Chelsea have over 40 young players out on loan . . . yes, forty.

Ultimately the PL and Championship would quite happily chuck a sh1t load of dosh at the Football League to allow their 'B' teams to play in the league at the expense of clubs like ours.

Imagine this scenario . . . Notts, have had a terrible season and need a result at home on the last day to avoid relegation to the conference. Our opponents are Florist B who win and send us spiralling into non-league oblivion. It might seem absolute rubbish to think this but I would hazard this could be highly likely if the powers that be ever did get their way.

I'm prattling on a bit now but there are only two things I want from my club for the future, the first is for it to become long term financially sustainable, the second is for the players who put on the shirt to always given nothing but their best for the club crest.

Unfortunately I can see a time in the not too distant future where this could not be the case on both counts and schemes like 'B' teams in league competitions will be the hammer that strikes the final nail in the coffin for many clubs like Notts County.

uysapie
18-10-2018, 09:58 PM

You must be the only tw@t that doesn't understand the difference and the reason for
the boycott.

LaughingMagpie
18-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Assuming we will be comfortably lower-mid table by December and not likely to trouble the top 7 this campaign, the FA Cup takes on more importance.
Would you like me to get you a rope mate?

Talk about glass half full! I would hope we are troubling the top 7 by mid December and automatic by May!

MagicBoots
18-10-2018, 11:24 PM
OK - I think I may have understood the point being made by Tarquin. Sorry for the long post.

If I understand correctly, you are saying there is no difference between playing an U23 side in the FA CUP and an U23 side in the Check-A-Trade. Completely agree. There is no difference should that be the case.

However (you knew it was coming) in the FA Cup, a premiership club is only represented by one team. If they choose to select U23's its up to them.

What is happening in the Check-A-Trade is a move to purposely create a club structure and culture to have two teams. Man Utd A, Man Utd B. Man City A ,Man City B Newcastle A Newcastle B .... etc.

I see a number of problems here;

1. Apparently it is to give England youngsters a chance to play. Absolute codswallop. There is no requirement that the B squad has to have any English players. By supporting this competition you are actually giving Spanish/French/Croatian/German etc future players the opportunity to blossom. In effect, it is detrimental to the England team.

2. Age Restriction. U23 is it. How long do we expect that to be in place for. Whether we are in the EU or not, some law case will prove it to be unjustified in that one team has this restriction (i.e. seen it before with Bosman ruling), so very soon it will be lifted and before you know it, the whole principle of developing U23 talent goes out the window and we get a true B squad.

3. Money & Greed. Cmon, we talked about the parachute payments and the amount of money premiership teams have. It is pure greed to enter this competition. If they are so wanting to develop U23's, why don't they wave the admission price when they play, why do they not have a policy to give the million pound prize money to grass roots should they win it ?

4. 5th league. Its coming. And we will be one division lower with B squads in the championship, possibly premiership, moving us down the pecking order. Its already been mentioned Chelsea have 40 players out on loan, 40 players that are way too good for League 2, so it wont be too long before we see Chelsea A, B and possibly a C team ! All in the premiership ! We will end up with a 20 team premiership consisting of the big 6 teams having A, B and C squads. Do we honestly want that ?

5. If its all about developing U23's than surely the answer has to be ..... an U23 league ! Wow now why have they not thought of this. Because........that will not get them into a league 5. I really do not believe people cannot see this.

What proves all this to be true is the way the premiership teams were reluctant at the inclusion of Scottish teams in our league, but they don't see anything wrong with B squads....hmmmmmm.

I am a season ticket holder, but live up in Leeds. I have been to a few EFL trophy games previously but there is absolutely no way I would even contemplate going now in its current format, and cannot understand why we still get over 1000 people actually attending.

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 11:37 PM
You must be the only tw@t that doesn't understand the difference and the reason for
the boycott.

Errr, no....there were over a 1,000 Notts fans that went to the last game (hardly a boycott!), plus a chairman that has been throwing his dosh at Notts like a loony and supports the competition......as for the "tw@t" comment, you have either been drinking or you are a complete kerrnob that cannot hold a civilised conversation

With "fans" like you, MM and Snobbers, if I was Alan Hardy I would chuck it all in and walk away.....complete waste of time the lot of you.....at least Coventry and Lincoln got behind the competition and are now light years ahead of us....to prove my point, obviously.

uysapie
18-10-2018, 11:56 PM
Errr, no....there were over a 1,000 Notts fans that went to the last game (hardly a boycott!), plus a chairman that has been throwing his dosh at Notts like a loony and supports the competition......as for the "tw@t" comment, you have either been drinking or you are a complete kerrnob that cannot hold a civilised conversation

With "fans" like you, MM and Snobbers, if I was Alan Hardy I would chuck it all in and walk away.....complete waste of time the lot of you.....at least Coventry and Lincoln got behind the competition and are now light years ahead of us....to prove my point, obviously.

Compared to 6000 for a league game? Fans are voting with their feet. Check out the attendances for the early group game, every club has reduced attendances. Not a coincidence. Only in the latter stages did the attendances rise. There is no point in trying to discuss the matter when you have a fixed point of view, especially from a distance. Check out the fans forums for other clubs, if you think it is only the majority of Notts supporters that feel this way.

tarquinbeech
18-10-2018, 11:59 PM
OK - I think I may have understood the point being made by Tarquin. Sorry for the long post.

If I understand correctly, you are saying there is no difference between playing an U23 side in the FA CUP and an U23 side in the Check-A-Trade. Completely agree. There is no difference should that be the case.

However (you knew it was coming) in the FA Cup, a premiership club is only represented by one team. If they choose to select U23's its up to them.

What is happening in the Check-A-Trade is a move to purposely create a club structure and culture to have two teams. Man Utd A, Man Utd B. Man City A ,Man City B Newcastle A Newcastle B .... etc.

1. Apparently it is to give England youngsters a chance to play. Absolute codswallop. There is no requirement that the B squad has to have any English players. By supporting this competition you are actually giving Spanish/French/Croatian/German etc future players the opportunity to blossom. In effect, it is detrimental to the England team.

2. Age Restriction. U23 is it. How long do we expect that to be in place for. Whether we are in the EU or not, some law case will prove it to be unjustified in that one team has this restriction (i.e. seen it before with Bosman ruling), so very soon it will be lifted and before you know it, the whole principle of developing U23 talent goes out the window and we get a true B squad.

3. Money & Greed. Cmon, we talked about the parachute payments and the amount of money premiership teams have. It is pure greed to enter this competition. If they are so wanting to develop U23's, why don't they wave the admission price when they play, why do they not have a policy to give the million pound prize money to grass roots should they win it ?

4. 5th league. Its coming. And we will be one division lower with B squads in the championship, possibly premiership, moving us down the pecking order. Its already been mentioned Chelsea have 40 players out on loan, 40 players that are way too good for League 2, so it wont be too long before we see Chelsea A, B and possibly a C team ! All in the premiership ! We will end up with a 20 team premiership consisting of the big 6 teams having A, B and C squads. Do we honestly want that ?

5. If its all about developing U23's than surely the answer has to be ..... an U23 league ! Wow now why have they not thought of this. Because........that will not get them into a league 5. I really do not believe people cannot see this.

What proves all this to be true is the way the premiership teams were reluctant at the inclusion of Scottish teams in our league, but they don't see anything wrong with B squads....hmmmmmm.

I am a season ticket holder, but live up in Leeds. I have been to a few EFL trophy games previously but there is absolutely no way I would even contemplate going now in its current format, and cannot understand why we still get over 1000 people actually attending.

A superb post Sir, thank you.......my only point to add, is that clearly there a 1,000 Notts fans (plus me, obviously) that do not see the Checkatrade Trophy as a way of kicking Notts out of the League......BUT you may have a point, a point that I may have to reconsider once I've had time to do a bit of goggling!

Excellent post.

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 12:03 AM
Compared to 6000 for a league game? Fans are voting with their feet. Check out the attendances for the early group game, every club has reduced attendances. Not a coincidence. Only in the latter stages did the attendances rise. There is no point in trying to discuss the matter when you have a fixed point of view, especially from a distance. Check out the fans forums for other clubs, if you think it is only the majority of Notts supporters that feel this way.

Whoa, whoa whoa........a night game in a 3rd-rate competition?......no way do we pull 6,000....2,500 to 3,000 absolute tops....we pulled in just over 1,000....that is hardly a boycott IMO

ps glad to see a post without insults xxxx

caj85
19-10-2018, 06:44 AM
Whoa, whoa whoa........a night game in a 3rd-rate competition?......no way do we pull 6,000....2,500 to 3,000 absolute tops....we pulled in just over 1,000....that is hardly a boycott IMO

ps glad to see a post without insults xxxx

Just another view on the subject.

Since the check a trade has U23 / development teams in (Not senior premiership teams) and the fa cup only allows senior teams (albeit they are allowed to play u23 players) and you have no problem with that...

What would you think about having u23 teams in the fa cup from either the first round or the preliminaries?

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Just another view on the subject.

Since the check a trade has U23 / development teams in (Not senior premiership teams) and the fa cup only allows senior teams (albeit they are allowed to play u23 players) and you have no problem with that...

What would you think about having u23 teams in the fa cup from either the first round or the preliminaries?

Caj - I have never really offered an opinion on U23 teams in any of the Cup competitions, in the Checkatrade competition they are designated as such and in the FA Cup, the "big boys" have been packing their teams with youngsters and reservists for years now, particularly in the early rounds.

My argument was purely the hypocrisy of "let's boycott the Checka because this is a possible way for the Prem teams to get U23s into the EFL" ......but errrrrrr "we love the FA Cup because of the romance so we don't mind playing under-strength Prem teams as it gives us a chance of winning...get yerself down the Lane, we're playing Man City's 3rd team"

I'm a fairly easy Pie to please.....give me a half-decent team and my iFollow and I'll watch pretty much anything, including U23s.....sorry.

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Hi Tarkers, can I try and add to some of the comments above but put it in a slightly different way.

I'm fortunate enough to have a season ticket to watch a club I have supported for 40 years, a club with a PROUD history, a founder member of the Football League.

We are extremely lucky that to date we still have a Notts County to support, let's be right, we've had a few scrapes with extinction. What I really want is for myself and other supporters for generations to come to be able to enjoy what I currently experience every other Saturday down The Lane but also at every other lower league club that finds themselves in the same precarious situation as ourselves.

Earlier in this thread there was discussion about the prize money and parachute payments paid for essentially failing in the Premier League, relegation is worth approx £175m . . . that's for one team and massively dwarfs the pittance shared out to clubs outside the top two divisions.

The Checkatrade Trophy competition is actually the Football League Trophy, a competition created for the bottom two divisions only and a chance for additional revenue and possibly a Wembley final appearance.

The inclusion of up to 16 Premier League and Championship 'B' teams was introduced by the Football League after PL clubs suggested opportunities for their young starlets to be involved in competitive football matches was few and far between. To put this into perspective it was recently reported that Chelsea have over 40 young players out on loan . . . yes, forty.

Ultimately the PL and Championship would quite happily chuck a sh1t load of dosh at the Football League to allow their 'B' teams to play in the league at the expense of clubs like ours.

Imagine this scenario . . . Notts, have had a terrible season and need a result at home on the last day to avoid relegation to the conference. Our opponents are Florist B who win and send us spiralling into non-league oblivion. It might seem absolute rubbish to think this but I would hazard this could be highly likely if the powers that be ever did get their way.

I'm prattling on a bit now but there are only two things I want from my club for the future, the first is for it to become long term financially sustainable, the second is for the players who put on the shirt to always given nothing but their best for the club crest.

Unfortunately I can see a time in the not too distant future where this could not be the case on both counts and schemes like 'B' teams in league competitions will be the hammer that strikes the final nail in the coffin for many clubs like Notts County.

My apologies, I forgot to thank you for an excellent, and well-argued reply......it made pleasant reading after all the cries of "idiot" "tw@t" "stupid" "whore" "arse-licker" etc etc etc

With reference to the highlighted section, surely the Chairmen of the various EFL clubs would band together to vote down any such proposals?.......they, mostly, have lots of money invested in the lower 3 leagues and hold the voting power...... and could spot that U23 teams in the league would be the beginning of the end for some of them.

ncfcog
19-10-2018, 12:49 PM
With reference to the highlighted section, surely the Chairmen of the various EFL clubs would band together to vote down any such proposals?.......they, mostly, have lots of money invested in the lower 3 leagues and hold the voting power...... and could spot that U23 teams in the league would be the beginning of the end for some of them.

You would like to think so wouldn't you, but a vast majority of them were happy to allow these teams into an official lower league competition already. It comes down to the short term and long term intentions of said owners really. Those looking at short term gain and exit strategy may be very happy to take the pay off. Those with a better moral compass and a long term interest in their clubs you would hope will not be influenced by this.

Notts78
19-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Hopefully B or C teams will never be allowed to grace our leagues. Clubs would as mentioned go bust... what players would we be able to attract as surely it would be better playing for Leeds Utd B in League 2 than any of the existing teams. The loan market would become redundant, the premiership and championship squads would become bigger. Teams like Chelsea would not have to worry about sending 40 players out on loan to get experience they would get that playing for the B and C team.
I honestly can not see it happening that way. I can’t see how playing B and C teams in the football league would work. Other than to flood the league with 20-30 team names across the 90 or so sides.
There can not be an EFL chairman that would vote for that.

Elite_Pie
19-10-2018, 01:21 PM
My argument was purely the hypocrisy of "let's boycott the Checka because this is a possible way for the Prem teams to get U23s into the EFL" ......but errrrrrr "we love the FA Cup because of the romance so we don't mind playing under-strength Prem teams as it gives us a chance of winning...get yerself down the Lane, we're playing Man City's 3rd team".

Yaaaawn. Your 'hypocrisy' argument has been blown out of the water by many posters on here who have explained quite clearly that the two things are completely different. If you need further explanation just read what most fans are saying on other club's messageboards up and down the country. I think you are only pursuing this ridiculous line because it's me who said it. If I started a post saying "The World is round", you would spend hours searching for reasons why it's flat.

MagicBoots
19-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Yaaaawn. Your 'hypocrisy' argument has been blown out of the water by many posters on here who have explained quite clearly that the two things are completely different. If you need further explanation just read what most fans are saying on other club's messageboards up and down the country. I think you are only pursuing this ridiculous line because it's me who said it. If I started a post saying "The World is round", you would spend hours searching for reasons why it's flat.

Be careful what you wish for;

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/19/here-are-10-proofs-that-the-earth-is-actually-flat-not-round-6016710/

magpie_mania
19-10-2018, 02:00 PM

So it's not flat?

I can't believe that Tarquin can't see the difference between a team in a competition they don't belong in, and are, I feel, using to get B teams in a 5 league system, and the FA Cup which has been going for 146 years!

Maybe it's the Mexican air, or too much tequila!

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Says the guy that spent several posts explaining how, by removing 0,1,2 and 10 from the "0 to 10 ratings" you conveniently reach an average of 6!.....hahahaha....no matter how much you try to argue the point, 6 IS NOT the average of zero and 10.....you need Adult Education classes old boy.

ps...thank you to the two other posters who just made reasonable footy posts on a reasonable footy topic (one that clearly worried some)....WITHOUT resorting to petty point-scoring tactics as witnessed by all on this thread, again.....and we wonder why some posters simply disappear after saying "I've had enough, I'm offski", never to be seen again....yes, yes I know, I'm guilty of it as well sometimes, which is why I occasionally grab an anthology of Somerset Maugham and disappear for a few weeks in an effort to wean myself back onto more promising pastimes....toodles.

Edit.....and as if by magic, Snobber's shadow, MM, appears to back him him up.......yawn......it's like a kiddies playground......Chubby will be here in a bit, now that his lunchbox has been filled ready for his Remoaners March tomorrow......Power to the Sheeple

magpie_mania
19-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Says the guy that spent several posts explaining how, by removing 0,1,2 and 10 from the "0 to 10 ratings" you conveniently reach an average of 6!.....hahahaha....no matter how much you try to argue the point, 6 IS NOT the average of zero and 10.....you need Adult Education classes old boy.

ps...thank you to the two other posters who just made reasonable footy posts on a reasonable footy topic (one that clearly worried some)....WITHOUT resorting to petty point-scoring tactics as witnessed by all on this thread, again.....and we wonder why some posters simply disappear after saying "I've had enough, I'm offski", never to be seen again....yes, yes I know, I'm guilty of it as well sometimes, which is why I occasionally grab an anthology of Somerset Maugham and disappear for a few weeks in an effort to wean myself back onto more promising pastimes....toodles.

'petty point-scoring tactics'

Sums up your first paragraph pretty well!

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 02:19 PM
'petty point-scoring tactics'

Sums up your first paragraph pretty well!

Nothing can spoil my day, not even you MM......an inch of rain overnight and the garden looks delightful, the Naughty Nurse is on her way shortly, taking her fortnightly 5 hr round-trip from the big city, the workers are busy building a secondary outer wall on my driveway to slow down the narco-nutters from scaling the outer walls and taking me hostage (3 more heads in bags dumped in the last few weeks within a few miles of my hacienda, no idea why, but I guess the narco wars are hotting up, again.......easily 30 odd murders this year in a town of only 60,000) .......plus the beers are cold and I'm off out tonight to dinner.

Play nicely children.

Elite_Pie
19-10-2018, 02:25 PM
no matter how much you try to argue the point, 6 IS NOT the average of zero and 10.....you need Adult Education classes old boy.

It was never a point I argued in the first place. I simply said that my ratings are based on 6 being a reasonable, competent performance.

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 02:48 PM
It was never a point I argued in the first place. I simply said that my ratings are based on 6 being a reasonable, competent performance.

Really?.......so this is not you, arguing that 6 is the midpoint between 3 and 9?....then conveniently saying that we should stick to your system in case it confuses people?

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - FIVE - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

I marked three players below a 5....and four players marginally above "average" ie at 5.5.....IMO nobody warranted a full point above "average"......has that explained it better to everyone?

Elite posted
It's explained it from your point of view, but it's not something I can agree with. Firstly, 0/10 shouldn't be on the scale, as it's only ever used as a knee-jerk drama queen rating. It would really mean that every single thing the player did all game was bad, and nothing he did was in any way positive. My ratings are usually between 4 and 8 with the occasional 3 or 9 for a very poor or very good performance. On that 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 basis, 6 is the 'acceptable' or mid point. I always enjoy the ratings threads especially when I'm not at the game and appreciate any input, but it gets a bit confusing if we all have different standards

Elite_Pie
19-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Really?.......so this is not you, arguing that 6 is the midpoint between 3 and 9?....then conveniently saying that we should stick to your system in case it confuses people?

The usual pack of lies and invention. Where did I say that we should stick to my system? I didn't, you made it up.

My actual words were:

If you read the whole post, I thanked you and everyone else for posting your ratings, but simply said that they only really make sense if we all post them using the same standard. I don't care whether that standard is yours or mine.

So did I say "we should stick to my system", or did you just make it up?

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 03:37 PM
The usual pack of lies and invention. Where did I say that we should stick to my system? I didn't, you made it up.

My actual words were:

So did I say "we should stick to my system", or did you just make it up?

I've already copied-n-pasted what you posted ie I always enjoy the ratings threads especially when I'm not at the game and appreciate any input, but it gets a bit confusing if we all have different standards
....this was in response to 3 or 4 people saying that my ratings for the Cobblers game seemed "mean" ie low....when I explained that I was using an average of 0 to 10 ie 5, you jumped in with the above Pavlovian response, said that the midpoint of your 3 to 9 scoring system was conveniently a 6 and ended with the "it gets a bit confusing if we all have different standards " comment......so what were you trying to tell everyone? YOU DID NOT SAY "I DON'T CARE WHOSE SYSTEM WE ARE USING" until after I called you a prick (a position that I still hold!)......and you went on the defensive by pretending that you weren't winding me up.......(your shadow MM joined in as well I notice)

You have used a different post (29) to counter my previous copy-n-paste of (23) which is an effort by you to pretend that it was not your intention to, once again, denigrate my forum contribution......you are merely trying your normal tactic of pretending to "play fair", which is as far away from the truth as one could get.

Elite_Pie
19-10-2018, 03:45 PM
I've already copied-n-pasted what you posted ie I always enjoy the ratings threads especially when I'm not at the game and appreciate any input, but it gets a bit confusing if we all have different standards
....this was in response to 3 or 4 people saying that my ratings for the Cobblers game seemed "mean" ie low....when I explained that I was using an average of 0 to 10 ie 5, you jumped in with the above Pavlovian response, said that the midpoint of your 3 to 9 scoring system was conveniently a 6 and ended with the "it gets a bit confusing if we all have different standards " comment......so what were you trying to tell everyone? YOU DID NOT SAY "I DON'T CARE WHOSE SYSTEM WE ARE USING" until after I called you a prick (a position that I still hold!)......and you went on the defensive by pretending that you weren't winding me up.......(your shadow MM joined in as well I notice)

You have used a different post (29) to counter my previous copy-n-paste of (23) which is an effort by you to pretend that it was not your intention to, once again, denigrate my forum contribution......you are merely trying your normal tactic of pretending to "play fair", which is as far away from the truth as one could get.

As usual, you have avoided the question completely. At any point on that thread (I'll link it) did I say at any time that people should stick to my system? Or is it a lie that you made up?

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38228846

tarquinbeech
19-10-2018, 04:11 PM
As usual, you have avoided the question completely. At any point on that thread (I'll link it) did I say at any time that people should stick to my system? Or is it a lie that you made up?

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38228846

I have already replied to you....you did not use the actual words "stick to my system"......you told everyone that 6 was a midpoint score (so did your buddy MM) THEN SAID "IT GETS CONFUSING IF WE USE DIFFERENT METHODS"........you never said anything about "I don't care whose system we use" until later in the thread.

Timeline and context is critical to most of the arguments on here, and you are the expert at twisting an argument.
I started a thread "Cobblers Match Ratings"
I used an average of 5
Various people were "confused"
I explained myself, being relatively new to Match Ratings (first season with iFollow)
MM jumped in with "6 is the average, surely"?
You jumped in with "Yes, I use 3 to 9 in my scoring, 6 is the midpoint, but it gets confusing if we all have different standards"....post 23?
Later you added "but I don't care whose system we use"...post 29

You wanted an argument, on the Match Ratings Thread of all places and you got one, congratulations.......since then we have fought over the Checkatrade thread, the FA Cup thread and one of the iFollow threads (I think, if not we really should do!)...I'm sure everyone is fed up with it by now and several times I've been close to giving in and just ignoring you, the problem is that you see that as a victory which is a bit galling.

I'm undecided.....time for beers.

Elite_Pie
19-10-2018, 04:37 PM
You wanted an argument, on the Match Ratings Thread of all places and you got one, congratulations.......

Really? The thread is there for all to see, and the 7 posts I made on it are perfectly polite and civil. You called me an "arrogant PRICK" (the capitals were yours) while I didn't post anything abusive at all, I even thanked you for your ratings!

Who was that poster going on about hypocrisy on the FA Cup thread?

Notts78
19-10-2018, 06:27 PM
I see yet another thread has decended in to a Tarkers/Elite slanging match...

chedozie
19-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Am I just a thick **** cos I haven’t a Scooby what these people are talking about...

MAD_MAGPIE
19-10-2018, 07:50 PM

The way I see it the FA Cup and Checkout Trade Trophy are nothing in comparison. I myself have boycotted the Check a trade and will continue to do so whilst premier league B teams are in it.

The FA Cup is the best domestic cup competition in world football in my opinion. Every year it starts off in early August with the preliminary rounds where anyone who is anyone can enter. For example this year semi professional teams from the 9th and 10th level on the ladder join. Then as the rounds go by all none league clubs want a shot at the first round proper to test themselfs against league opposition. The draw for this round is full of excitement.

The FA Cup is great. We get to play non league teams who we’ve never heard of and sometimes we get beaten. Notable ones in recent times are Southport and Salford. Then we have the excitement of trying to get to the third round when the premier league teams enter.

The third round of the FA Cup is brilliant for clubs like ours. We’ve had some excellent occasions in recent years in the third round and beyond. We beat Sunderland at the stadium of light and they were 6th in the premier league. They did not play an under 23 team. We gave Fulham a good run for their money at Craven Cottage and I’ll never forget when we played Man City at home at Meadow Lane and we drew 1-1. That was memorable. Then we went to their place and lost but what occasions they were. No Under 23 teams played in those. That’s FA Cup and that is the romance of it all.

The Check a trade is a dead duck. Whereas the FA Cup is very much alive and kicking especially when lower league clubs get to the 4th round and beyond.

I don’t agree with the semi finals being at Wembley though.

Elite_Pie
19-10-2018, 08:17 PM
The way I see it the FA Cup and Checkout Trade Trophy are nothing in comparison. I myself have boycotted the Check a trade and will continue to do so whilst premier league B teams are in it.

The FA Cup is the best domestic cup competition in world football in my opinion. Every year it starts off in early August with the preliminary rounds where anyone who is anyone can enter. For example this year semi professional teams from the 9th and 10th level on the ladder join. Then as the rounds go by all none league clubs want a shot at the first round proper to test themselfs against league opposition. The draw for this round is full of excitement.

The FA Cup is great. We get to play non league teams who we’ve never heard of and sometimes we get beaten. Notable ones in recent times are Southport and Salford. Then we have the excitement of trying to get to the third round when the premier league teams enter.

The third round of the FA Cup is brilliant for clubs like ours. We’ve had some excellent occasions in recent years in the third round and beyond. We beat Sunderland at the stadium of light and they were 6th in the premier league. They did not play an under 23 team. We gave Fulham a good run for their money at Craven Cottage and I’ll never forget when we played Man City at home at Meadow Lane and we drew 1-1. That was memorable. Then we went to their place and lost but what occasions they were. No Under 23 teams played in those. That’s FA Cup and that is the romance of it all.

The Check a trade is a dead duck. Whereas the FA Cup is very much alive and kicking especially when lower league clubs get to the 4th round and beyond.

I don’t agree with the semi finals being at Wembley though.

Agree with every word.

MagicBoots
19-10-2018, 11:50 PM
Agree with every word.

Me to. Completely agree with the semi-finals. To me that’s diminished the romance. It was nice that the Wembley occasion was special.

What is more disturbing is why the final and semi final is at Wembley if Tottenham get there. Surely it’s a home game for them!

I know a few Tottenham fans and their misguided view is that it gives the chance for teams like Newport and Rochdale a day out at the twin towers.

Sadly this is what football and the F A Cup has become. All the money and power is kept in the premiership and playing teams in our league is seen more as charity than a competitive match.

The top clubs were recently contemplating a European league to get better gates and competition. I wish they would do one and leave the premiership because as it stands it is a completely uneven playing field.

If they want competition why not let some of the money feed into the lower leagues and not hoard the sky money as they do paying ridiculous transfer fees and wages a team in our league could only dream of.

Notts78
20-10-2018, 07:08 AM
The Premiership is a product, like many of the top leagues. So as a product they want to attract the top players,which inevitably comes at an excessive cost, which is where sponsorship helps (include TV money) and the perceived greed begins. I don’t begrudge them of that and often watch games at the top level, across the leagues and enjoy them.
Personally, as a fan and supporter of a club like Notts County I feel closer to my club, I feel it is more a community club, attracting supporters within its immediate vicinity. I feel that supporting them makes a difference too. I am proud of our history and I look forward to watching blokes play for my team that are not on obscene money, and that makes me feel more connected to them as human beings. Can fans of the the big clubs say all of the above? Not a chance.

cocopops61
20-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Marine fc home or away after they have hopefully knocked Salford out on saturday!

Well after reading all of that I see that there's only one answer to my original question,thanks metrocab XD

Elite_Pie
20-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Well after reading all of that I see that there's only one answer to my original question,thanks metrocab XD

Did you miss post #3?

uysapie
20-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Did you miss post #3?

Number 31 in the draw.

Woodsetts_Pie
22-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Given that we are already out of 2 cup competitions, it's ***** for the financial state of the club that we get somewhere in this.
We need a home draw against the lowest ranked competitor
Then in Round 2 we need another home draw against the then lowest ranked competitor
And so on.....

Woodsetts_Pie
22-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Why does it star out "v i t a l"?

Elite_Pie
22-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Why does it star out "v i t a l"?

Because it's the name of a rival football website.

SwalePie
22-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Because it's the name of a rival football website.

As opposed to a Rivals site :)

Elite_Pie
22-10-2018, 06:09 PM
As opposed to a Rivals site :)

Fond memories of Rivals, I only started posting on here when Rivals was closed down.

I actually had quite a good reputation on there!

RhubarbPie
22-10-2018, 06:09 PM
I used to post on v i t a l.

Forums over there were much better than here.

Elite_Pie
22-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Why do we have to suffer 13 minutes of bullsh!t? Just draw the bloody balls.

SwalePie
22-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Fond memories of Rivals, I only started posting on here when Rivals was closed down.

I actually had quite a good reputation on there!

Snap. :D

countygump
22-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Snap. :D

Barnthorpe United away.

Moreton_Pie
22-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Oh well at least we can concentrate on staving off relegation pretty early without much further embarrassment from a non league team

countygump
22-10-2018, 06:23 PM
In the play off places in League 1, expect an early exit.

Elite_Pie
22-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Poor draw. Away from home, a team from the division above, and no TV potential.

irish_pie
22-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Horrible draw and as Elite said no chance of it making TV, they are playing some decent football so an early exit expected again... would like a cup run one of these seasons but can't see it now.

RhubarbPie
22-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Shame.

But, looking on the bright side, who knows ...... ?

MAD_MAGPIE
22-10-2018, 07:17 PM

A thoroughly excellent post and sums up all my reasons for boycotting the Check a trade games. As I’ve mentioned many times before these B teams are just players wearing a premier league clubs kit. Most if any have never played a first team game.

These B teams are essentially a franchise and I don’t want our precious club with all its history and tradition (or any other League One or Two club for that matter) have to lower itself or suffer the indignity of fighting for a few scraps of cash, playing and competing in that farce of a completion. So for all of these reasons I’m out.

Elite_Pie
22-10-2018, 07:23 PM
These B teams are essentially a franchise and I don’t want our precious club with all its history and tradition (or any other League One or Two club for that matter) have to lower itself or suffer the indignity of fighting for a few scraps of cash, playing and competing in that farce of a completion. So for all of these reasons I’m out.

I wish I had your way with words. Please read and digest carefully tarquin.

MAD_MAGPIE
22-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Horrible draw and as Elite said no chance of it making TV, they are playing some decent football so an early exit expected again... would like a cup run one of these seasons but can't see it now.

I have to agree our draw is quite underwhelming and dull on paper. It’s as bad as playing someone in our league which is also somewhat boring.

At least when it’s a non league club away from home it makes for an interesting day out regardless of the score. At home it’s an occasion for them. Plus the chance of being on TV.

It’s not going to be easy as they are in the playoffs as well. However it’s the cup so who knows what will happen on the day.

BigFatPie
22-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Ee bah gum that’s a tough draw. Mind, not as ard as draws we used to get when I were lad. We ad to walk 20 miles in obnail boots back then, after 16 hours down pit, and still get flogged for been late when we got back ‘ome.

Acido
22-10-2018, 07:40 PM
So lads, your coming to Oakwell again for a lovely little Fa cup 1st round tie. :D
We're going well this season in Lg One and are unbeaten at home so far, but those play offs or even automatic promotion itself are and always will be the priority. This means you've a more than good chance of 'surprising' us in this tie.

optipez
22-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Tough draw, at least it's not far to go.

Tarquin, you need to stop digging on the Checkatrade, it's a monstrosity not at all like playing weakened teams in the F.A. Cup.
It's been explained to you, you're not thick, just accept that you're wrong on this, it's indefensible if you value the football pyramid.

navypie
22-10-2018, 07:45 PM
So lads, your coming to Oakwell again for a lovely little Fa cup 1st round tie. :D
We're going well this season in Lg One and are unbeaten at home so far, but those play offs or even automatic promotion itself are and always will be the priority. This means you've a more than good chance of 'surprising' us in this tie.

I think your under 11's would beat us at the moment.

Mark_Ross
22-10-2018, 08:00 PM

That is a ridiculously unfair comment fgs.

They would need at least their U14s to beat us.

Acido
22-10-2018, 08:02 PM

I don't know how your team are doing this season Navy and how they are playing etc., but the Fa cup does throw up some big surprises at times doesn't it, that really do go against league form.
Ive seen your lot at Oakwell many times over the years, and I especially liked the rivalry when Colin W* was your manager and you went up to the First Division in season 1990-91 (before it became the Premier League of course!). :P

navypie
22-10-2018, 08:08 PM
I don't know how your team are doing this season Navy and how they are playing etc., but the Fa cup does throw up some big surprises at times doesn't it, that really do go against league form.
Ive seen your lot at Oakwell many times over the years, and I especially liked the rivalry when Colin W* was your manager and you went up to the First Division in season 1990-91 (before it became the Premier League of course!). :P

Lets just say its not been good mate.

ps . Neil Warnock was our manager when we went up and the only Notts manager I can think of with the name Colin is Murphy, and he came after Warnock.

Acido
22-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Ee bah gum that’s a tough draw. Mind, not as ard as draws we used to get when I were lad. We ad to walk 20 miles in obnail boots back then, after 16 hours down pit, and still get flogged for been late when we got back ‘ome.

Don't be daft kid, it wasn't anything like 20 miles. I measured it with a little 30 centi-metre school ruler, and it was 19.27 miles actually. And I never ever say ee by gum, thats only a vicious rumour which nobody on here can prove. ;D

cocopops61
22-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Ayup Acido,as soon as I saw us being drawn out against Barnsley i thought of you,I don't fancy our chances but it's not that far away so I will be attending

alfinyalcabo
22-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Ayup Acido,as soon as I saw us being drawn out against Barnsley i thought of you,I don't fancy our chances but it's not that far away so I will be attending

Maybe that tight Yawkshireman Acido will put his short arms in his deep pockets and buy you a pint Chalky ? Then again you will probably have to buy the tight git one..lol

cocopops61
22-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Maybe that tight Yawkshireman Acido will put his short arms in his deep pockets and buy you a pint Chalky ? Then again you will probably have to buy the tight git one..lol

You finished your travels Alf?
Good to see you posting regularly around the forums again B)

Acido
22-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Great minds think alike Chalky, I thought of what you and your comments would be as well, when I saw the draw lol.
I hope we can have a great Fa cup run again one day, but in almost every season, I tell myself that the league campaign counts the most etc (and this is usually after a loss of course!).
Im not being dismissive here, but my thoughts at the moment are that this tie could go either way, for various reasons.

And Navy, in case you didn't know, Colin W*kr is an insulting anagram of Neil Warnock's name. Thats what I was on about. ;D

Elite_Pie
22-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Lets just say its not been good mate.

ps . Neil Warnock was our manager when we went up and the only Notts manager I can think of with the name Colin is Murphy, and he came after Warnock.

Come on shipmate, surely you must know why Mr Warnock is called Colin by now?

navypie
22-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Great minds think alike Chalky, I thought of what you and your comments would be as well, when I saw the draw lol.
I hope we can have a great Fa cup run again one day, but in almost every season, I tell myself that the league campaign counts the most etc (and this is usually after a loss of course!).
Im not being dismissive here, but my thoughts at the moment are that this tie could go either way, for various reasons.

And Navy, in case you didn't know, Colin W*kr is an insulting anagram of Neil Warnock's name. Thats what I was on about. ;D

Well you learn something new everyday, I have never heard that before. What a sheltered life I live.

navypie
22-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Come on shipmate, surely you must know why Mr Warnock is called Colin by now?

Well I do now .

alfinyalcabo
22-10-2018, 08:51 PM
You finished your travels Alf?
Good to see you posting regularly around the forums again B)

No..I'm actually in North Yawkshire for the week Chalky.. spending my hard earned pension money ..;)

Acido
22-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Well you learn something new everyday, I have never heard that before. What a sheltered life I live.

Is that right Navy ?. :O
I thought every man in the world and his pet dogs and hamsters and ferrets as well, all knew about the Colin Warnock thing. ;D

navypie
22-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Is that right Navy ?. :O
I thought every man in the world and his pet dogs and hamsters and ferrets as well, all knew about the Colin Warnock thing. ;D

Nope, and neither did my Labrador. Quick question mate , do Barnsley normally reduce ticket prices for a 1st round match ?

Acido
22-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Nope, and neither did my Labrador. Quick question mate , do Barnsley normally reduce ticket prices for a 1st round match ?

To be honest Navy, I don't know much about our away ticket pricing plans Navy, soz!. :s

nay123
22-10-2018, 10:08 PM
To be honest Navy, I don't know much about our away ticket pricing plans Navy, soz!. :s

The only good thing about this draw is the beer is cheaper up there.

Acido
22-10-2018, 10:34 PM
The only good thing about this draw is the beer is cheaper up there.

Is that right kid, do we really do a cheaper beer/lager up here in 'gods county' ?. ;D

queenslandpie
23-10-2018, 03:01 AM
Is that right kid, do we really do a cheaper beer/lager up here in 'gods county' ?. ;D

Gods county? Have you ever been to Dinnington? Are you still going to chant scabs at the Notts fans? If you don't score at least 6 you've under achieved.

navypie
23-10-2018, 06:44 AM

Well I suppose i'll find out soon enough how much it's gonna cost me to watch us get stuffed , cheers.

Acido
10-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Ok then County lads...

In fairness, most of you did say that you expected this when the draw was made etc.
And I admit I 'hoped' for this sort of win after all to be honest, because I did expect a win for us. But I would never have bet on this being a total blowout like it was today etc!. :O

Woodsetts_Pie
11-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Gods county? Have you ever been to Dinnington? Are you still going to chant scabs at the Notts fans? If you don't score at least 6 you've under achieved.

Hey! Steady on QP.... That Dinnington jibe is a bit close to home XD