PDA

View Full Version : Time for Mad Dog

SwalePie
18-11-2018, 01:00 AM
There's only one man who fits the current scenario IMHO. Mad Dog, if he's still 'got it', can walk in with his big daft smile and wipe the slate clean for all the players and raise the morale in short order. These players are not the sh*te everyone seems to be making out, they just have approximately zero commitment, organisation or motivation right now.

Send for the Winston Wolfe of the lower divisions Mr Hardy. You know it makes sense. If anyone can knock some good times into the remainder of this season it's him.

jackal2
18-11-2018, 01:13 AM
The current situation certainly is reminiscent of the one he inherited from Paul Ince a few years ago. Our team at the time was on the floor after a massive run of consecutive defeats, with only six games left, and I didn't believe any manager would be able to save us, but in came Martin Allen with his big booming personality, positivity and a clear understanding of the minds of players and fans, and somehow he united the entire club and dragged us out of trouble. As much as anything he used his persona to take all of the focus on to him and take the pressure off the players, and then publicly insisted on the radio that "these are good players", which many people didn't believe at the time. By the final day of the season we were safe and held runaway champions Brighton 0-0 at Meadow Lane. It was a pretty remarkable feat which perhaps has been a bit forgotten in the mists of time.

Gangsta_Pie_The_2nd
18-11-2018, 02:31 AM
I'd take him back in a heartbeat

freemuzzy
18-11-2018, 05:47 AM
All very fair points if you’re judging him solely on his stint at Notts 7 years ago where he did a great job and one of many under RT that was dismissed far too soon.

But have a look at where Chesterfield are in the Conference table. They were on the floor too and he hasn’t managed to pick them up in any way, shape or form despite having one of the biggest budgets in that league to work with.

The table doesn’t tell the full story either. They’ve not won since August. He’s been publicly transfer listing players, then playing them, and signing new ones week on week pretty much at random. Their fans wouldn’t believe their luck if we PAID to take him off their hands.

No thanks. I’d sooner we get someone a bit more long-term.

irishpete
18-11-2018, 06:18 AM
All very fair points if you’re judging him solely on his stint at Notts 7 years ago where he did a great job and one of many under RT that was dismissed far too soon.

But have a look at where Chesterfield are in the Conference table. They were on the floor too and he hasn’t managed to pick them up in any way, shape or form despite having one of the biggest budgets in that league to work with.

The table doesn’t tell the full story either. They’ve not won since August. He’s been publicly transfer listing players, then playing them, and signing new ones week on week pretty much at random. Their fans wouldn’t believe their luck if we PAID to take him off their hands.

No thanks. I’d sooner we get someone a bit more long-term.

Chesterfield are up for sale,the Chairman wants out,So I would imagine MA isn't getting much backing.Sometimes Managers got to clubs done well at the last club & nothing goes for you at another.Eddie Howe a prime example of this when he left Bournemouth for Preston.

Big Bob
18-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Chesterfield are up for sale,the Chairman wants out,So I would imagine MA isn't getting much backing.Sometimes Managers got to clubs done well at the last club & nothing goes for you at another.Eddie Howe a prime example of this when he left Bournemouth for Preston.

Err! Burnley

ncfcog
18-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Its a no from me, sorry.

i961pie
18-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Definitely no chance of him coming back according to Colin and Charlie Slater, not even considered.

Oldstripy
18-11-2018, 09:25 AM
NO!

irishpete
18-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Err! Burnley

Well, nearly right,was NW area

Glad2BeAPie
18-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Leave him at Chessie

marshall55
18-11-2018, 10:51 AM
No, he has health issues and this lot would finish him off.

optipez
18-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Statistics, doncha just luv 'em.
Allen has now gone 16 games without a win, but is also five games unbeaten. Chesterfield are up for sale and have had to get rid of all their best league standard players, it's as big a mess as us without the financial backing.
He should never have been sacked, Trew was an utter prick to do it.
He has since taken two clubs up and if he's healthy enough and still up for it after his heart problems and if we can't attract Hurst or someone of that ilk then please folks name me someone better.

nay123
18-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Wasn't he sacked for of pitch matters

Glad2BeAPie
18-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Yes sniffing around someone, so he had to go

upthemaggies
18-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Yes he was.

If we were in this position with less than 10 games remaining he would be the obvious choice. Longer term, he's probably not the manager he once was but I think we've already reached the stage where we can't really think long term, we have to concentrate all our efforts on just staying up and Allen is as good a punt as any for that job.

jackal2
18-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Allen has now gone 16 games without a win, but is also five games unbeaten. Chesterfield are up for sale and have had to get rid of all their best league standard players, it's as big a mess as us without the financial backing.
He has since taken two clubs up and if he's healthy enough and still up for it after his heart problems and if we can't attract Hurst or someone of that ilk then please folks name me someone better.

I couldn't have put it better myself, Optipez. In case anyone hasn't realised, we are a club who are sitting in the League Two relegation zone, we've sacked two managers by November, and our players look like they've given up already. These are not the kind of things that tend to get a long list of good quality managers queueing at your door.

Paul Hurst, I'm delighted to say, has declared an interest in the job publicly, and if we can get him, then for me it's a no-brainer. The guy has had a short, difficult spell at Ipswich, but prior to that his record with Boston, Grimsby and Shrewsbury was stellar. He's still young, yet he's also experienced, and I don't doubt he's very eager to re-establish his reputation, so he would be my first choice for manager by a country mile.

However, if he decided not to take the job and we have to look at the rest of the field, and especially the characteristics we need in this position and with the despair that the club is currently in, Martin Allen for me is the kind of personality we need. Only last season he nearly achieved the impossible of keeping Barnet up with a stunning turnaround in form, and over his career his managerial record is more than respectable. Beyond Hurst, there aren't to my mind any better candidates out there who would want the job. Shaun Derry I suppose pulled off a similar great escape to Martin Allen, but fans never liked Derry's style of football, whereas Allen actually got us playing some very attractive stuff.

kill_the_drum
18-11-2018, 12:34 PM
The only previous manager I would have back is Cotteril.

freemuzzy
18-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Have a quick Google of the amount of players Allen’s brought in at Chesterfield this season. I think only Salford are spending more on wages in that league. The vast majority of the players who’ve left there have been because he wanted them to to make way for his own players. The target there was an instant return to FL and they’re around 20th. I really liked Allen when he was here and agree he built a good team/shouldn’t have been sacked but he’s definitely not what’s needed now.

SwalePie
18-11-2018, 12:37 PM

No Warnock then? :D

magpie_mania
18-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Me too, although I'm not sure he's the type of manager to rescue a sinking ship.

Edit after seeing Swales' post - Yes I'd have Warnock back, and possibly Big Sam.

(Before anyone complains about the way Allardyce left, don't forget the way Allen joined us and how he left Barnet).

kill_the_drum
18-11-2018, 02:29 PM
No Warnock then? :D
I think he’s busy

pravda_plc
18-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Paul Hurst all day for me.

If we take Allen we need to make sure that a funeral plan is included in his contract. He had serious heart problems at Eastleigh in the Conference and he's allegedly changed his nickname from 'Mad Dog' to 'Bipolar Kitten'.

Of the remaining candidates I reckon that Ardley looks just about the best and certainly experienced in this division.

But what do I know - it will probably a serial loser like Dean Saunders.....Haaaapppy happy days

MAD_MAGPIE
18-11-2018, 06:49 PM

In hindsight the time for Steve Cotterill would have been after we had lost in the playoffs and then he could have had the summer to spend Alan Hardy’s cash assembling a team capable of competing and challenging at the right end of league two. It would have been a case of fine tuning as opposed to throwing the baby out with the bath water which is what happened.

If Alan Hardy is to learn anything from his predecessor and wants to take us to the Championship then he would be wise to look towards Cotteril or someone similar who is proven in the lower leagues and knows what is required.

After yesterday I’m just wondering if Cotterill is the man to steady a sinking ship or whether he would entertain this particular short term challenge. I’m a big supporter of his organisational approach and discipline especially in terms of defending which he got spot on in the Munto season and we desperately need that now so he would be good in that respect.

In hindsight Ray Trew’s first managerial appointment was his best and he should have just given Cotteril what he wanted when he took us to League One to maintain the momentum. Maybe things would have been different and we would not have had the numerous managers and players that followed (see my opening post on the “How did we end up like this?” thread) which must have cost as much if not more than what Cotteril wanted.

If it’s not to be Cotteril then another of a similar ilk and that is why a similar contender would be Paul Hurst with what he did at Grimsby and Shrewsbury. He is younger than Steve Cotterill but still experienced. Then there is also Neal Ardley with his long reign and success as Wimbledon manager. The only thing with Neal Ardley is he’s not proven elsewhere. So is he a one club wonder?

As for Martin Allen I really like him and was gutted when he left, and think he would be the perfect fit in terms of galvanising the players, staff and fans and getting something out of this squad we’ve got to think about his health and if he would want the stress. Things are not going well at Chesterfield but there is no denying he is more than capable and has a wealth of experience. He got Gillingham promoted out of this league and also has saved Barnet from relegation previously, although last season just fell short.

pielover
18-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Me too, although I'm not sure he's the type of manager to rescue a sinking ship.

When asked what attracted him to taking over that Notts munto team his response was "because I can win". He spotted the opportunity, fair play to him, but the tone of that interview would suggest you're right.

irishpete
18-11-2018, 07:02 PM
MA One of very few ex managers I'd be happy to see back at the lane.No bull sheite from him, tells you how it is.Knows how to get the fans united.The cup game across the river,when he knew what it meant to the fans,he walked like the rest.How many Managers would do that?