PDA

View Full Version : ot coal mines could be bought back to use

welovebooth
02-12-2018, 10:47 AM
use them as underground farms for growing vegetables and herbs

top academics say they are perfect and will be able to produce alot more food than farms above level to help ease the growing food shortage with the growing population.

got the backing of the coal board who own the mines.

gm_gm
02-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Great idea, the ponies should be happy

animallittle3
02-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Link to the article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46221656

frogmiller
02-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Great idea, the ponies should be happy

XD

ARAbCHNID
02-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Surely you'd only be able to grow mushrooms? :)

Brin
02-12-2018, 12:55 PM
use them as underground farms for growing vegetables and herbs

top academics say they are perfect and will be able to produce alot more food than farms above level to help ease the growing food shortage with the growing population.

got the backing of the coal board who own the mines.

I saw the programme where a former World War Two air-raid shelter 100ft (30.5m) under Clapham Common, London, is already being used to grow greens for local supermarkets and restaurants.

The only thing stopping this getting off the ground is the astronomical costs involved re opening any coal mine.
Take Silverwood my old pit. The shaft alone is over 900 yards deep and was filled in when the mine closed. Methane escape alone would prove to be a very dangerous task, before trying to extract any landfill that was used to seal off mine shafts. For me it's a great idea but a non starter.

animallittle3
02-12-2018, 12:55 PM
I wonder how much methane is down there after all these years mothballed ? .

Seems to me alot of investment would be needed to make this a viable business , we are talking about vegetables not gold or diamonds .

gkotw
02-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Could be the answer to Rotherham's dreams this: we have a plethora of old mines in the borough and Tony's ASD Ltd are world leaders in LED lighting. Bring it on 😁

flourbasher
02-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Methane, rising groundwater, collapsed ceilings, access problems.
Huge health and safety obstacles to overcome. Anything,s possible but it would need significant investment so that would mean some very expensive carrots

welovebooth
02-12-2018, 02:15 PM
I wonder how much methane is down there after all these years mothballed ? .

Seems to me alot of investment would be needed to make this a viable business , we are talking about vegetables not gold or diamonds .

but if we are not growing enough vegetables and food gold and diamonds become worthless.

animallittle3
02-12-2018, 03:18 PM
but if we are not growing enough vegetables and food gold and diamonds become worthless.

You have to factor in the investment v the potential return , we are talking about a low cost product and a few bob mark up , your going to have to produce and sell mega amounts to make it feasible .

Who is going to go down there for minimum wage for a start ?, personally I'd want £25 ph which leads to a cauliflower costing you a tenner .

The only other option is to subsidise the project in my opinion , the tories wouldn't touch it and neither would Labour given the colossal amount of money they already have to spend historically to fix the country after successive tory governments .

I just can't get past this project is as easy as the study suggests .

CAMiller
02-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Must admit seemed crazy to me but from that article it seems to focus primarily on just the shafts and automated operation.

welovebooth
02-12-2018, 06:20 PM
You have to factor in the investment v the potential return , we are talking about a low cost product and a few bob mark up , your going to have to produce and sell mega amounts to make it feasible .

Who is going to go down there for minimum wage for a start ?, personally I'd want £25 ph which leads to a cauliflower costing you a tenner .

The only other option is to subsidise the project in my opinion , the tories wouldn't touch it and neither would Labour given the colossal amount of money they already have to spend historically to fix the country after successive tory governments .

I just can't get past this project is as easy as the study suggests .

who would want to pick them in the field as peace work??

just because you would want $25 doesn't mean there won't be someone willing to do it for $7

Lolmorgan
03-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Would they want a union leader.

millertop
03-12-2018, 09:37 AM
who would want to pick them in the field as peace work??

just because you would want $25 doesn't mean there won't be someone willing to do it for $7

I’m sure most farms use machines now