PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for the Premier League!?

Flintadore
27-12-2018, 04:25 AM
You know those times, about 3am, when you can’t get back to sleep, and your restless mind turns to the trials and tribulations of your beloved team?

If you do, then you’ll have spent many sleepless nights in Leeds United purgatory…WAY TOO MANY! But tonight, at 3am, things for me are different. I can’t get back to sleep, not out of restlessness, but excitement, because my team is vanquishing each new trial, turning tribulations into celebrations!

We can all feel this is our year…in hushed tones we might even dare to speak it, but after successive last minute winners, and a seven game winning streak (in response to a 4-1 drubbing), we know that’s a marker of not just promotion contenders, but Champions.

West Brom, Borough, Villa, and Stoke were the clear favourites for promotion at the start of the season. They have by far the strongest squads. Only West Brom are still within touching distance. 12 points back to Borough, 15 to Villa, 17 to Stoke!! Sure, there are still 22 games to go, but we’d have to hit mid-table form, and the others hit automatic promotion form for them to claw back the points. None of them are that good and we definitely won’t be that bad….not with Bielsa in charge, injured players returning, youngsters getting stronger, and the January window approaching…which is where my question to everyone originates.

If the management team at Leeds are starting to believe that promotion is a likely outcome, will that radically change how they approach the winter window?
Will they need to seek players of true premiership quality? Will quality players see our league position and so now consider talking to Leeds (particularly those whose contracts are up this year (especially Milner))? Can we now seek high quality ‘loan to buy’ options, like Wolves did?

Bielsa was asked in today’s presser about whether he would replace Saiz? He answered that he doesn’t talk in hypotheticals, however, I’ve noticed that when it’s a definite ‘NO’, he answers directly. So maybe, just maybe, this winter window will be a busy one. Has our incredible form launched us into unexpected and uncharted territory… ‘Preparation for the Premier League’?

Ozwhites
27-12-2018, 05:05 AM
Well I can respond given the different time zone....and firstly I suggest you take 2 panadol and lie back down for awhile pal. >;) Not even game to think about whether they will be eyeing PL players in this upccoming transfer window. Start focusing on that, and the wheels will probably fall off! Understand where you are coming from and the forethought....but reckon we need to get another 10 or so games further in first, and still be where we are. Norwich and WBA are both still breathing close to us. And Norwich seem to be snatching late winners also...so they are probably saying this must be their season too!

CalverleyBoy
27-12-2018, 10:13 AM
It is almost ironic that the majority of the players who get a team promoted end up out of a job. Gayle at Newcastle comes to mind. As we get closer to the finish line a big part of Bielsa job will be getting such players to maintain their effort.

Billyni
27-12-2018, 11:55 AM
The title of the post really is tempting fate.
Remember, this is Leeds United.
We can blow things at the mere thought of a problem.
To call it premature is a vast exageration.
But i admire your optimism and hope our faces escape the baskets of eggs which are being stockpiled.

Rev72
27-12-2018, 12:09 PM
The title of the post really is tempting fate.
Remember, this is Leeds United.
We can blow things at the mere thought of a problem.
To call it premature is a vast exageration.
But i admire your optimism and hope our faces escape the baskets of eggs which are being stockpiled.

What billy said.

LeedsFTW
27-12-2018, 12:13 PM
I am more inclined to think that we need to ensure we have enough in the locker to gain promotion out of this league first, as other people have said there are still a lot of points left to play for. Also thinking that the team spirit is really important and its making a big difference in recent matches where we have snatched points that perhaps in other seasons would have alluded us. Do we want to take a chance and disrupt this?

If we do make any signings, I think they will most likely be loans with a view to taking on people that have championship experience. For me a Goalkeeper is a must, even if it is just to keep BPF honest.

If we do succeed in achieving promotion, I actually can't see Biesla ripping up this team ready for the premiership. I think it is far more likely that 1 or 2 people will be added in the summer and the current set of players given a chance to impress.

joellufcprice
27-12-2018, 01:07 PM
If Izzy Brown ever looked like being fit we wouldn't need someone to replace Saiz but the fact he has picked up another injury and is generally injury prone makes me think we need someone.

If nothing else it is back up for Pablo because if he gets injured I really struggle to see where goals would come from as he creates or scores a lot of our goals.

If we can get someone like that in and Brown gets fit then we are even stronger and have the depth to cope with any injuries if we don't and Pablo picks up a knock/Brown never gets his fitness back I'd worry about us winning games.

spaldy
27-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Scared to even talk about it yet. I know the stats on teams in first place at Christmas but few championship teams have tanked as bad as we've have in the second half of the season the last decade. It's often been because we had an owner selling players, players bailing on us mentally or incredibly bad squad or tactical management.

we have a replacement for Saiz. A brilliant youngster named Clark that prem teams are already sniffing around. what better way to lock him up mentally that to tell him "he's it" and let him go out there and prove it. what cast off or has been are we going to get that has more prem potential that he does. A vote of confidence could lock him up for next year if we go up. a no vote ensures we'll lose him.

team chemistry is key and we have it. even minor changes can have big impacts. some of the has beens that have been floated in the rumor mill are sure to cause issues.

we do have a need at keep. I think BPF can do it but we have no cover and no competition for him. MB makes everyone earn their time every game but BPF.

leedsutdman
27-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Let's just look at the next game and then the next one and so on.

WTF11
27-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Scared to even talk about it yet. I know the stats on teams in first place at Christmas but few championship teams have tanked as bad as we've have in the second half of the season the last decade. It's often been because we had an owner selling players, players bailing on us mentally or incredibly bad squad or tactical management.

we have a replacement for Saiz. A brilliant youngster named Clark that prem teams are already sniffing around. what better way to lock him up mentally that to tell him "he's it" and let him go out there and prove it. what cast off or has been are we going to get that has more prem potential that he does. A vote of confidence could lock him up for next year if we go up. a no vote ensures we'll lose him.

team chemistry is key and we have it. even minor changes can have big impacts. some of the has beens that have been floated in the rumor mill are sure to cause issues.

we do have a need at keep. I think BPF can do it but we have no cover and no competition for him. MB makes everyone earn their time every game but BPF.

What he said x100.

We don't need a "signature" signing, we need continuity, consistency and that team spirit that has been lacking (even when in past season we had the odd purple patch).

Tichi1
27-12-2018, 03:51 PM
What he said x100.

We don't need a "signature" signing, we need continuity, consistency and that team spirit that has been lacking (even when in past season we had the odd purple patch).

Agree 100% too
- keep it simple - the proof if ever it where needed is that the manager IS the MOST important signing at any club. We are doing what we are doing with basically he same squad we had last season plus a sprinkling of youngsters from the development squads, despite having suffered more injuries and long term lay offs than ever

Would love to see Marley's humble pie eating now lol

Rev72
27-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Agree 100% too
- keep it simple - the proof if ever it where needed is that the manager IS the MOST important signing at any club. We are doing what we are doing with basically he same squad we had last season plus a sprinkling of youngsters from the development squads, despite having suffered more injuries and long term lay offs than ever

Would love to see Marley's humble pie eating now lol

Rumour has it he's posting on here under a diiferent user name :O

hahahahaha

george_kaplan
27-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Rumour has it he's posting on here under a diiferent user name :O

hahahahaha

We will have to get secret agent George Kaplan in to investigate this ha ha ha.....only George Kaplan doesn't exist XD
.....the irony huh.

Flintadore
27-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Okay, so I tend to agree with the consensus that we need to be steady as we go, focus on what has brought us here (great coaching, team spirit, youth etc), BUT I would suggest that we are four players short of what Bielsa intended at season start.

He wanted a small squad, with 18 regulars, supported by the U23’s. He’s lost Blackman and Saiz, and I don’t think Harrison or Baker are up to it. So, in theory we’re absolutely needing two…and possibly two others. If so, my question is…Has the strategy changed re the standard of replacement? Do we now have to seek Premier quality players rather than good Championship players?

LeedsFTW
27-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Okay, so I tend to agree with the consensus that we need to be steady as we go, focus on what has brought us here (great coaching, team spirit, youth etc), BUT I would suggest that we are four players short of what Bielsa intended at season start.

He wanted a small squad, with 18 regulars, supported by the U23’s. He’s lost Blackman and Saiz, and I don’t think Harrison or Baker are up to it. So, in theory we’re absolutely needing two…and possibly two others. If so, my question is…Has the strategy changed re the standard of replacement? Do we now have to seek Premier quality players rather than good Championship players?

I am probably taking an overly simplistic view, if we sign anyone, they should be of a quality that will enhance our promotion prospects, first and foremost.

Worry about premiership quality if and when we achieve promotion.

WTF11
27-12-2018, 08:15 PM

Prefer to stay "as is" as the only real loss has been Saiz (who hasn't been the same player as last season, and for whom we have a replacement in Clarke). The only addition might (just might) be a gk to act as backup for BPF, as a gk replacement wouldn't disturb the outfield player dynamics as much as bringing some midfield genius who isn't versed in the Bielsa way.

Steady as we go is right.

hopelesslyoptimistic
27-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Prefer to stay "as is" as the only real loss has been Saiz (who hasn't been the same player as last season, and for whom we have a replacement in Clarke). The only addition might (just might) be a gk to act as backup for BPF, as a gk replacement wouldn't disturb the outfield player dynamics as much as bringing some midfield genius who isn't versed in the Bielsa way.

Steady as we go is right.

rumour is possibly two to come into the squad in Jan - striker from Dull and a keeper.

george_kaplan
27-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Keeper from Newcastle?

In agreement....steady as she goes. One game at a time. We are always a "team to beat" more so now. This second half is going to be very interesting. Bring it on.

WTF11
27-12-2018, 09:54 PM
rumour is possibly two to come into the squad in Jan - striker from Dull and a keeper.

A "striker", from Dull? The team in mid-table mediocrity with a -5 gd??? Error, any cast-offs from that direction should be comprehensively avoided (they certainly won't be able to adapt to the Bielsa way any time soon, no matter how god they might think they are)

WTF11
27-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Or "good" even

Ozwhites
27-12-2018, 10:42 PM
A "striker", from Dull? The team in mid-table mediocrity with a -5 gd??? Error, any cast-offs from that direction should be comprehensively avoided (they certainly won't be able to adapt to the Bielsa way any time soon, no matter how god they might think they are)

Couldn't you have waited till after the game tomorrow to label them mediocre? >;)

WTF11
27-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Couldn't you have waited till after the game tomorrow to label them mediocre? >;)

No. Just like Villa (!and Wolves who despite flouting all the FFP rwgs have failed since promotin), Dull have spent and failed and we should have no part whatsoever in acquiring cast offs from such a failed experiment.

george_kaplan
27-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Or "good" even

He's turned some of our lads round mate. I figure he knows who and what he wants.

Tis the calm before the gossip storm.

Leighdsunited
27-12-2018, 11:57 PM
We need quality. If there's a good signing great, but we don't want to to do what Derby did and upset the squad with a signing like Darren Bent on 60k a week

Ozwhites
28-12-2018, 12:24 AM
No. Just like Villa (!and Wolves who despite flouting all the FFP rwgs have failed since promotin), Dull have spent and failed and we should have no part whatsoever in acquiring cast offs from such a failed experiment.

Not talking about the quality of their players. Just joshing about jinxing us. You know how it works when words come back to bite us.

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
28-12-2018, 02:38 AM
Firstly, lets get there, meaning we don't use January to buy anyone unless its extremely needed, which right now, i dont think it is

we have players who will be back by the end of January meaning they will be like new signings anyway

The youth players continue to hugely impress, I dont ever get worried when they come on, they are doing excellent

Players like BPF will get there eventually, remember he doesnt have a proper back 4 yet, it keeps changing all the time, and hes in his first full season as a number 1 GK, I'd keep him in the 11 until we start losing points because of him, so far, we havent!

Personally, I don't see massive value in our loan signings, Baker Brown and Harrison, none of them are bad players, but one hasnt played yet, the other 2 are hit and miss, meaning we have the following

BPF Ayling Berardi Douglas Dallas Jansson Cooper Phillips Forshaw Klich Hernandez Alioski Roofe Bamford, leaving 4 spaces for youth players to step in, Huffer Shackleton and Clarke are regulars on the bench now, leaving 1 final space, now if it was me, it would be Cooper Dallas and Bamford on the bench, close though between roofe and bamford, but you can't question roofes influence right now, while hes scoring and assisting goals, he stays in!, so with those subs you would have a GK, a CB, a FB/Wing, a FB/Wing/CM, a Wing/AMC/ST, a ST, so what would be needed to fill all that out, maybe another CM, or ST, hell i don't know, but to be totally honest, I really like the balance between experience and youth in this squad, its great, so I genuinly wouldnt use January at all

We've got Coyle coming back from another good loan spell, i don't know the situation with the other players loaned out, we've some other players in the U23s doing really well, Marcelo is watching them everytime they play a home match, I honestly think we will be fine

then regarding the PL, IF we hopefully get there, firstly we have to negotiate the senior players currently out on loan, do any of them have a leeds future, or are they all surplus to requirements, I would NOT do a Duddsville and sign as many foreigners as possible, thats what theyve done and they are paying for it now

I'd Definately try and make it so that we have 18 "senior" players, all ours, no loans, I'd then have another 18 players all from the youth academy ready to step in at any given time, players like Shackleton and Clarke are doing superbly, and really, our strongest "u23" squad which could still include the likes of BPF Coyle Denton Phillips etc, is getting stronger and stronger every year because of the experience theyre gaining.

Marcelo says he likes 2 senior players per position, thenb with some youths as backups, that way theres no upset players coz they dont play, its a fantastic solution, it means the club arent wasting money on players not being used, and as we are experiencing this season, it gives the kids a chance to impress and gain experience, meaning that the leeds squad of the future, will have gained experience by the time they all reach 23/24/25 years old

I'm really excited about our clubs future, the futures bright, the futures white!

MOT!!!

asturianblanco
28-12-2018, 07:39 AM
not sure im understanding the short novel Clive, you want a squad of 36 and you think they will all get used?

costa_blanca_white
28-12-2018, 08:57 AM
not sure im understanding the short novel Clive, you want a squad of 36 and you think they will all get used?

That's just Clive being Clive again.

B)

Billyni
28-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Remember though, what happened to the mediocre players we had last season.

We definatly need to sign at least a couple. Every thing is just touch and go at the minute. We're running on empty and need a boost to finish the job.

WTF11
28-12-2018, 11:20 AM

We definatly need to sign at least a couple. Every thing is just touch and go at the minute. We're running on empty and need a boost to finish the job.

Thing is Billy, whatever was done to turn things around (and let's be fair, we had many good players, just not a god team last season), was done during close season and took many weeks. We don't have that luxury with any newcomers at this point in the season, and if it is attempted while we play on, there's an obvious risk to the current team spirit and performance. Is it a risk worth taking, when we have a crop of class younger players who ARE already "Bielsified"?

leedsutdman
28-12-2018, 11:37 AM
I wonder if he goes muahahahaha after he's Bielsified them.

Billyni
28-12-2018, 01:50 PM
I wonder if he goes muahahahaha after he's Bielsified them.

Sounds like a job for the Rev. :D

MrsORichSenior
28-12-2018, 02:05 PM
The Bielsa recruitment requirements - Mmmm .....?

Just maybe what we've got player wise this season is the maximum that this group of players can 'consistently' deliver some may say.Realistically only a few games in a season will see us totally dominate and allow every 'chance' being taken.

The truth is - No matter how hard they work or how much effort they put in without utilising the Bielsa principle of belief the players will always be limited in their career accomplishments. If you look further into the 'Bielsa approach' at Leeds (and his other clubs) you'll find that the players with a track record of success have fully and whole heartedly embraced his philosophy in all walks of their life physically and more importantly mentally.

This 'Believe and Succeed or Doubt and Do Without' daily mantra Bielsa utilises on is endurance based and is actually the same technique that Psychiatrists have consistently used on my daughter with great success ............. this endurance not only refers to a player’s physical fitness and ability to make it through the entire 90 minutes it's also referring to a player’s mental strength and ability to continue despite the overwhelming fatigue he might feel and the importance of concentration.

As the body fatigues, control, focus, and decision making becomes more and more difficult. Leeds ability to perform both physically and mentally for more than 90 minutes is now becoming crucial to achieving success which hopefully can be sustained with what players we have but also for those that may be arriving too.

The maximum effort I've witnessed from this developing young team game by game against some savvy opposition,coaches and hostile crowds is very special and reminds me of the mid 80's Bremner team when he was our manager,a very special bond indeed.I noticed Leeds have bought houses in Tadcaster close to TA for the younger 18 year olds squad to live in as a group under the supervision of a club 'landlady' which further demonstrates the family atmosphere Bielsa requires at all stages of a players development and also shows Bielsa has looked at the past into the positives of the Revie,Wilko & O'Leary regimes in his meticulous research.

For sure if you are not fit,disciplined & focused consistently despite ability the door will be shown under his stewardship to players already in or contemplating coming in,IMO.

MOT

Tichi1
28-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Spot on Billy boy, spot on!

Oranjewhite
28-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Nothing can go wrong now. Nothing.

klix
28-12-2018, 05:02 PM

He is not a cast off,hes class and would be a great signing

Flintadore
28-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Firstly, lets get there, meaning we don't use January to buy anyone unless its extremely needed, which right now, i dont think it is

we have players who will be back by the end of January meaning they will be like new signings anyway

The youth players continue to hugely impress, I dont ever get worried when they come on, they are doing excellent

Players like BPF will get there eventually, remember he doesnt have a proper back 4 yet, it keeps changing all the time, and hes in his first full season as a number 1 GK, I'd keep him in the 11 until we start losing points because of him, so far, we havent!

Personally, I don't see massive value in our loan signings, Baker Brown and Harrison, none of them are bad players, but one hasnt played yet, the other 2 are hit and miss, meaning we have the following

BPF Ayling Berardi Douglas Dallas Jansson Cooper Phillips Forshaw Klich Hernandez Alioski Roofe Bamford, leaving 4 spaces for youth players to step in, Huffer Shackleton and Clarke are regulars on the bench now, leaving 1 final space, now if it was me, it would be Cooper Dallas and Bamford on the bench, close though between roofe and bamford, but you can't question roofes influence right now, while hes scoring and assisting goals, he stays in!, so with those subs you would have a GK, a CB, a FB/Wing, a FB/Wing/CM, a Wing/AMC/ST, a ST, so what would be needed to fill all that out, maybe another CM, or ST, hell i don't know, but to be totally honest, I really like the balance between experience and youth in this squad, its great, so I genuinly wouldnt use January at all

We've got Coyle coming back from another good loan spell, i don't know the situation with the other players loaned out, we've some other players in the U23s doing really well, Marcelo is watching them everytime they play a home match, I honestly think we will be fine

then regarding the PL, IF we hopefully get there, firstly we have to negotiate the senior players currently out on loan, do any of them have a leeds future, or are they all surplus to requirements, I would NOT do a Duddsville and sign as many foreigners as possible, thats what theyve done and they are paying for it now

I'd Definately try and make it so that we have 18 "senior" players, all ours, no loans, I'd then have another 18 players all from the youth academy ready to step in at any given time, players like Shackleton and Clarke are doing superbly, and really, our strongest "u23" squad which could still include the likes of BPF Coyle Denton Phillips etc, is getting stronger and stronger every year because of the experience theyre gaining.

Marcelo says he likes 2 senior players per position, thenb with some youths as backups, that way theres no upset players coz they dont play, its a fantastic solution, it means the club arent wasting money on players not being used, and as we are experiencing this season, it gives the kids a chance to impress and gain experience, meaning that the leeds squad of the future, will have gained experience by the time they all reach 23/24/25 years old

I'm really excited about our clubs future, the futures bright, the futures white!

MOT!!!

I'm really excited too Clive (you might have guessed)...but I think Bielsa's approach is to have a first-team nucleus of 18, supported by 3/4 youngsters. With Blackman and Saiz gone, we're down to a nucleus of 14, plus Harrison, Baker and Brown. If you look at the bench against Blackburn, it had six youngsters. Yep, the youngster are doing great, but to rely on them so much is potentially a problem.

alfinyalcabo
28-12-2018, 10:28 PM
You lads are getting way above yourselves you bunch of arrogant cnuts.. Lol

You might just have enough points to stave off relegation this season.. :D

leedsutdman
28-12-2018, 10:39 PM
You lads are getting way above yourselves you bunch of arrogant cnuts.. Lol

You might just have enough points to stave off relegation this season.. :D

Pity the same can't be said about bumley. 😂

Flintadore
28-12-2018, 10:40 PM
The Bielsa recruitment requirements - Mmmm .....?

Just maybe what we've got player wise this season is the maximum that this group of players can 'consistently' deliver some may say.Realistically only a few games in a season will see us totally dominate and allow every 'chance' being taken.

The truth is - No matter how hard they work or how much effort they put in without utilising the Bielsa principle of belief the players will always be limited in their career accomplishments. If you look further into the 'Bielsa approach' at Leeds (and his other clubs) you'll find that the players with a track record of success have fully and whole heartedly embraced his philosophy in all walks of their life physically and more importantly mentally.

This 'Believe and Succeed or Doubt and Do Without' daily mantra Bielsa utilises on is endurance based and is actually the same technique that Psychiatrists have consistently used on my daughter with great success ............. this endurance not only refers to a player’s physical fitness and ability to make it through the entire 90 minutes it's also referring to a player’s mental strength and ability to continue despite the overwhelming fatigue he might feel and the importance of concentration.

As the body fatigues, control, focus, and decision making becomes more and more difficult. Leeds ability to perform both physically and mentally for more than 90 minutes is now becoming crucial to achieving success which hopefully can be sustained with what players we have but also for those that may be arriving too.

The maximum effort I've witnessed from this developing young team game by game against some savvy opposition,coaches and hostile crowds is very special and reminds me of the mid 80's Bremner team when he was our manager,a very special bond indeed.I noticed Leeds have bought houses in Tadcaster close to TA for the younger 18 year olds squad to live in as a group under the supervision of a club 'landlady' which further demonstrates the family atmosphere Bielsa requires at all stages of a players development and also shows Bielsa has looked at the past into the positives of the Revie,Wilko & O'Leary regimes in his meticulous research.

For sure if you are not fit,disciplined & focused consistently despite ability the door will be shown under his stewardship to players already in or contemplating coming in,IMO.

MOT

Couldn't agree more MrsO. The players are masterfully coached and super-fit, which in combination with the inspirational, benevolent dictator (father-figure) psychology of Bielsa is working wonders, particularly in the final quarter of games. Such inspiration/training takes time, which is why he seems reluctant to bring new players in, however, he does contradict himself in this respect. On the one hand, he states that he needs time work with a player, but on the other he states that his role as an International coach has taught him how to instil his requirements in only a few sessions.

With the squad so engaged, so motivated, I imagine that any new signing will adapt very quickly. The team spirit is remarkable; the system well established; and any mid-season purchase should be at a good fitness level, so even though there is always a risk of upsetting team harmony, the astute purchase of possibly two quality players might help an already over-achieving squad, achieve the ultimate.

whitestomper45
29-12-2018, 01:02 AM

Jarrod Bowen 22, English, 15 goals in 44 matches.... cast off????

asturianblanco
29-12-2018, 09:07 AM
WTF showing once again showing his lack of knowledge regarding the game in general, would be the right sort of signing IMO.

CalverleyBoy
29-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Jarrod Bowen 22, English, 15 goals in 44 matches.... cast off????

Dull have been doing ok over the last month or so - not sure what has happened at the club but they seem to have turned their bad run around and should not be underestimated today.

WTF11
29-12-2018, 11:04 AM
WTF showing once again showing his lack of knowledge regarding the game in general, would be the right sort of signing IMO.

If he's so sh1t hot NOW why would Dull sell him?

Ozwhites
29-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Maybe for the same reason Leeds have sold some of our better players in recent seasons. :O

WTF11
29-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Maybe for the same reason Leeds have sold some of our better players in recent seasons. :O

At the end of the season yes, not midway through and on an upward trajectory ( which is apparently where Dull are going).

Ozwhites
29-12-2018, 11:35 AM
At the end of the season yes, not midway through and on an upward trajectory ( which is apparently where Dull are going).

I reckon we would have sold some players mid season in the past...but I take your point. Maybe Hull's finances dictate that a fair bid would be a good option at this point? Who knows their true situation. That was the reason we sold players that frustrated the hell out of us supporters repeatedly ! >:(

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
29-12-2018, 02:47 PM
think my post was slightly misunderstood

18 seniors who primarily will occupy the matchday 18, unless form drops or they get injuried or suspended

you then have the best 18 from the academy ready and waiting to fill any gaps which occur throughout the season

i dont expect the 18 youths to all get lots of gametime, but it would be expected the the senior 18 do

WTF11
29-12-2018, 02:59 PM
think my post was slightly misunderstood

18 seniors who primarily will occupy the matchday 18, unless form drops or they get injuried or suspended

you then have the best 18 from the academy ready and waiting to fill any gaps which occur throughout the season

i dont expect the 18 youths to all get lots of gametime, but it would be expected the the senior 18 do

TBH Clive I thought the post regarding senior and youth players was perfectly sound, and agree 100%.

Billyni
29-12-2018, 04:53 PM
I hope this thread dosent turn out to be embarrassing.

asturianblanco
29-12-2018, 05:00 PM
not that anyone would own up to their ignorance Billy :O

alfinyalcabo
29-12-2018, 05:09 PM

Hmmm.lol

Rev72
29-12-2018, 05:22 PM
This thread just asked for todays result.Start it when/if we get there.

hopelesslyoptimistic
29-12-2018, 05:33 PM

out target scored two against us and took them well - looked good to me!

WTF11
29-12-2018, 05:39 PM
out target scored two against us and took them well - looked good to me!

"Our target"?, says who, Phil Hay, some blogger, the "meedja"? I asked elsewhere as to why Dull would be willing to sell such a diamond, answer came there very little.

If he is so sh1t hot (and I agree playing in the current Hull side as they are coached to play, he's god), why in God's name would Hull sell him? They won't.

The rest of this thread (and comments on the match day thread), were aimed at what we do to prepare for the PL. Signing a single player is not such preparation, and other responses were far more intelligent/focussed, targeting what the whole.club can do to prepare.

hopelesslyoptimistic
29-12-2018, 06:06 PM
"Our target"?, says who, Phil Hay, some blogger, the "meedja"? I asked elsewhere as to why Dull would be willing to sell such a diamond, answer came there very little.

If he is so sh1t hot (and I agree playing in the current Hull side as they are coached to play, he's god), why in God's name would Hull sell him? They won't.

The rest of this thread (and comments on the match day thread), were aimed at what we do to prepare for the PL. Signing a single player is not such preparation, and other responses were far more intelligent/focussed, targeting what the whole.club can do to prepare.

Festive cheer to you too!

preparing for the prem involves signing the odd player along the way I suspect but what do I know ...

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
29-12-2018, 06:15 PM
you can't buy preparing for the PL until you know you will definitely be there next season, otherwise you spend all your budget too quickly

hopelesslyoptimistic
29-12-2018, 06:29 PM
you can't buy preparing for the PL until you know you will definitely be there next season, otherwise you spend all your budget too quickly

Hmmmn you can buy players to both help you get there and who are good enough to play once there

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
29-12-2018, 06:53 PM
we also need to know if debock, anita, cibicki, okane, sacko, and ekuban have a future at leeds or not, if they don't, then they have to be sold or released, this has to be done on the first day of the summer transfer window, meaning then we know exactly who Marcelo has to work with.

those 6 were loaned out for a reason, my reckoning is all 6 will go, although I do think Marcelo could make a couple of decent players out of Sacko and Ekuban.

once all 6 are gone, and once our current 3 loans go back to their parent clubs, we are then left with "seniors" BPF Ayling Berardi Douglas Dallas Jansson Cooper Phillips Forshaw Klich Hernandez Alioski Roofe and Bamford, and up to now, weve used at some stage Huffer Shackleton Pearce Davis Halme Shaughnessy Clarke Roberts and Edmondson, Miazek and Gotts hava also been on the bench but were unused

with only 14 seniors, I would be looking at 4 Premier League quality players in the summer transfer window, if Marcelo decides to keep all of those 14 seniors of course

the strongest 18 eligible for the u23s currently looks like

BPF Huffer Coyle Gotts Denton Pearce Davis Oconnor Halme Shaughnessy Phillips Shackleton Ideguchi Clarke Grot Wilks Roberts and Edmondson

that 18 is based on the players 23 and under who have been involved with the first team this season, plus players out on loan to clubs of at least the EFL level. IMO that above 18 would beat any U23 team in their current division no problems, you would then hope that it means the future of Leeds United looks pretty damn good!

im not saying any of them are ready for premier league football, but we aint there yet, so lets concentrate on getting there, and then we can look at how the club will move forward

1 thing i do know is, its not as simple as just saying, lets buy 4 quality premier league players

I'd quite happily welcome milner lennon rose and delph back, 4 players with so much premier league experience, plenty of leeds united experience, they would be great signings

you always say don't go back and get previous players, but we are talking of premier league/international level players here

id then look at maybe a top GK CB and ST, that for me then, would complete a squad able to compete to stay in the PL, and maybe even surprise 1 or 2 and do better than just finsih 17th

but what do i know, I'm just a mega leeds fan

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
29-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Hmmmn you can buy players to both help you get there and who are good enough to play once there

not that easy mate, if you buy a player for big PL dosh, and dont go up, you're screwed then to build for another championship season

klix
29-12-2018, 08:23 PM

Because they need the money,we have been in that position before
Its called cash flow if you did not know

klix
29-12-2018, 08:24 PM

When WTF posts it is embarrassing to most leeds fans

hopelesslyoptimistic
29-12-2018, 09:24 PM
not that easy mate, if you buy a player for big PL dosh, and dont go up, you're screwed then to build for another championship season

You can be but we are talking about possibly two players one of who is young and to replace Siaz who is off the wage bill and for whom we will get 6mill in the summer - the other a keeper as we now lack strength in depth there with JB breaking his leg - not sure we would be breaking the bank in those circumstances of breaking Bielsa’s small squad mentality.

hopefully the loan players will do well so that they either get bought by their current clubs, tempt other clubs or better still kick on and come back to improve the squad.

WTF11
29-12-2018, 10:16 PM
Because they need the money,we have been in that position before
Its called cash flow if you did not know

I forgotten more about cash flow and running a commercial business than you know sunshine. One thing you don't do if you want to survive is sell the things that make you a viable business.

pete1967b
29-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Yeh lets sign someone noone has heard of in prep for PL just because he scored 2 against us.

Flintadore
30-12-2018, 12:41 AM
You can be but we are talking about possibly two players one of who is young and to replace Siaz who is off the wage bill and for whom we will get 6mill in the summer - the other a keeper as we now lack strength in depth there with JB breaking his leg - not sure we would be breaking the bank in those circumstances of breaking Bielsa’s small squad mentality.

hopefully the loan players will do well so that they either get bought by their current clubs, tempt other clubs or better still kick on and come back to improve the squad.

Definitely need a keeper to compete with BPF, so we might as well buy one for the long-term...and I agree with spending the Saiz money on a direct replacement. Although Hernandez can fill the No10 role it stops him playing wide right...which is the role Bielsa prefers him in. Also, with Brown not even fit to play yet, it essentially leaves Hernandez as our only genuine No10, which is a specialist role, requiring skills that Bielsa has stated "can't be taught".
I'm thinking that Saiz cost us 3.5mill, so if Orta's done his job (and with Bielsa's knowledge), then we should get a cracking player for 6mill/+15K Saiz wages.

WTF11
30-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Yeh lets sign someone noone has heard of in prep for PL just because he scored 2 against us.

It not even that Pete, it's the likelihood of being able to acquire a class player mid-way through the season and expect the structure and tactics of the side to be unaffected, and/or the player to be able to adopt the manner and style of play of the rest of the squad.

Dull wouldn't sell a key player at this point (and given current performance), any more than we would sell young Clarke (unless they or us were in "fire sale" territory, which neither of us are). Others can fantasize about buying such players, it simply won't happen, neither should it.

Others have said it, we need our current squad fit and stable, send Harrison and Baker back from whence they came, and maybe, just maybe, a GK to keep BPF honest.

klix
30-12-2018, 10:16 AM
I have heard of him he has been followed by prem clubs,he is liked to harvey barnes and david brookes you should know them pair they are quality

klix
30-12-2018, 10:17 AM
I forgotten more about cash flow and running a commercial business than you know sunshine. One thing you don't do if you want to survive is sell the things that make you a viable business.

Ffs its Alan Sugar

OldWhiteTaff
30-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Others have said it, we need our current squad fit and stable

Maybe true, but that isn't going to happen given the rigours of the Championship. And, has no-one else watched the last two games? In both we've looked very tired, lacking in ideas, and, dare I say it, some of the players have looked a little lacking in composure, which may be a mixture of tiredness and pressure. A couple of predictions:

- we will not have a fully fit squad to pick from at any point during the rest of this season, so we cannot jettison anyone, and I'd have thought some additional resources would be a sensible move
- we definitely are missing Saiz, and if we have no real replacement in our existing squad then spending to try and fill that gap seems like a reasonable thing to do if we really are going to keep this challenge for the top two going
- if we do nothing then the rest of this season is going to be very difficult, I don't believe we will finish top two, and it will prove hellish difficult to prevail in the play-offs (which we should obviously make - 80 points guarantees that, so 10 more wins out of 21 games, 75 is usually enough, so 8 wins from 21 games)

CLIVETHELEEDSFAN
30-12-2018, 04:40 PM
after 23 games we had 14 wins 6 draws and 3 losses

I predict the 2nd half of the season we will get another 14 wins, 3 draws, and 6 losses

giving us a final total of 46 games played, 28 wins, 9 draws, and 9 losses.

this will result in automatic promotion, and if it doesnt, we are very unlucky!