PDA

View Full Version : which Ex notts player would you play to get the team out of jail !

PedroTheFisherman66
27-12-2018, 05:05 AM
if you could choose one ex Nott's county player to play for us now and get us out of this mess, who would it be !?
I'm thinking Stubbsie !
His no nonsense defending and ear bashings to those who are not putting the effort in might be the answer to jump start this shower of 5hite ,.............!
just a thought !...

KintoreMagpie
27-12-2018, 05:33 AM
if you could choose one ex Nott's county player to play for us now and get us out of this mess, who would it be !?
I'm thinking Stubbsie !
His no nonsense defending and ear bashings to those who are not putting the effort in might be the answer to jump start this shower of 5hite ,.............!
just a thought !...

Good call Pedro but I fear Brian on his own would not be enough and he may end up on assault charges against members of the current team not showing pride in wearing the shirt. Oh to have the great Don Masson in midfield supported by Arthur Mann with Dave Needham alongside Stubbs. That would give us the spine we clearly lack.
God help NA but he has a huge job in trying to attract even a couple of players in the transfer window who might make a difference. I think that numpty from Cambridge who comes on here suggested some time ago that we consider the power of prayer to help us. I am on my knees as we speak!

since41
27-12-2018, 05:40 AM
Radi in between the sticks would be a good start.

PedroTheFisherman66
27-12-2018, 05:54 AM
Good call Pedro but I fear Brian on his own would not be enough and he may end up on assault charges against members of the current team not showing pride in wearing the shirt. Oh to have the great Don Masson in midfield supported by Arthur Mann with Dave Needham alongside Stubbs. That would give us the spine we clearly lack.
God help NA but he has a huge job in trying to attract even a couple of players in the transfer window who might make a difference. I think that numpty from Cambridge who comes on here suggested some time ago that we consider the power of prayer to help us. I am on my knees as we speak!

it would be easy if we could pick a handful of ex Nott's players as there are so many ex quality ones to choose from !

Hence the Dilemma is one and one Only. Therefore part of the problem is what position and then which player......!

slack_pie
27-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Craig Short or Dean Yates.

Oh and a 2009 Lee Hughes up front as well please.

magpie_mania
27-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Craig Short or Dean Yates.

Oh and a 2009 Lee Hughes up front as well please.

Kilcline would sort them out at the back.

But 1 isn't enough to sort this out!

Frigiliana Pie 1
27-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Like others have said, we would need several of our former stars to sort out our problems, but if I had to pick just one, I’d go for a reliable full back - Ray O’Brien.

irishpete
27-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Paul Harding

Bridg4d_Pie_
27-12-2018, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking Stubbsie !
just a thought !...

Pedro, are you trying to say we only need one player meaning we have ten decent ones, really I am surprised.

durhampie
27-12-2018, 11:35 AM
We need Bishop & Ravenhill in midfield together with Stubbs and needham at the back and Bradd & McCulloch up front.. That would just about sort this shyte out...

Bridg4d_Pie_
27-12-2018, 11:55 AM
We need Bishop & Ravenhill in midfield together with Stubbs and needham at the back and Bradd & McCulloch up front.. That would just about sort this shyte out...

For half the wage bill more importantly and Pride, Passion & Commitment brought back at a stroke.

Woodsetts_Pie
27-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Paul Harding without a doubt.
And we all know that McCulloch is God, so he would help...

drillerpie
27-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Not quite in the same league but Curtis Thompson will be out of contract at Wycombe in precisely 4 days' time.

since41
27-12-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm surprised Willie Carlin hasn't been mentioned he took no prisoners.

GranthamPie
27-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Worthington, Needham or Stubbsy.... each of these three would scare the **** out of the present pansy’s

SwalePie
27-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Schmeichel. He'd marshal our defence into some kind of shape and stop the rot at the back

Big Bob
27-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Hughes, Rogers, Masson, Stubbs, Pedro to only name a few.

queenslandpie
27-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Hughes, Rogers, Masson, Stubbs, Pedro to only name a few.

Cherry in goal, Harding and Bishop in Midfield. Short at centre back ( vastly superior to Yates).

We'd be right then.

Elite_Pie
27-12-2018, 09:07 PM
I'm thinking Stubbsie !

If we are restricted to only one player, I would probably go for Brian Stubbs as well. Not the most natuarally gifted player, but I would love to see a centre back who would run through a brick wall to be first to the ball again.

Mark_Ross
27-12-2018, 09:20 PM
If we are restricted to only one player, I would probably go for Brian Stubbs as well. Not the most natuarally gifted player, but I would love to see a centre back who would run through a brick wall to be first to the ball again.

Yeah, if it's to be only one player then it has to be Stubbs. Even if weget relegated, we would at least have the pleasure of seeing him batter some of our own less-than-useless players.

ManchesterMagpie
27-12-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking Stubbsie !
just a thought !...

The thing this team is mostly lacking (and has been for a while now) is a LEADER out of the park....someone with some authority and a bit of bite to shake the players up a bit. Steady is great but he can't do it on his own from up front. We need someone like him barking orders from further back. A few spring to mind, Ian Hendon, Deano, Don O' Riordon, Phil Turner, Don Masson, Phil Robinson, Paul Harding etc. But the one that springs to mind right now given that we are in League 2 and the defence is our biggest problem is..... GARY STRODDER! He and Matt Redmile were an absolute colossus in 1997/98. We really need someone like Strodds in the squad right now...

Robertomac
27-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Not quite in the same league but Curtis Thompson will be out of contract at Wycombe in precisely 4 days' time.

That's an interesting post. Agreed he's not in the same league as those mentioned, but this lad never stopped running and played with some bite and energy. Certainly not the best but light years ahead of what we have now.

nw6pie
27-12-2018, 09:54 PM
That's an interesting post. Agreed he's not in the same league as those mentioned, but this lad never stopped running and played with some bite and energy. Certainly not the best but light years ahead of what we have now.

I recall him having half a good season when he moved into midfield, but then being one of those headless chickens who expended a lot of energy without achieving much. A pass from me (which is also something he rarely did).

As we’re halfway through the season, the one player I’d want now is the Jan-May 1998 Gary Jones. Very average the rest of the time, but a goal machine for those five glorious months, with some real gems in there (including an outrageous chip in the 5-2 against Rotherham). The problem is thinking about all the great old players we’ve had just heightens the depression about the current garbage.

PedroTheFisherman66
28-12-2018, 04:03 AM
Pedro, are you trying to say we only need one player meaning we have ten decent ones, really I am surprised.

I don't recall saying that b4p....but it seems you are saying it for me...xx

slack_pie
28-12-2018, 06:30 AM

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad shout. He's a limited player, but he does the simple stuff well. He's a much better option in L2 than Husin, and more effective at breaking up play than Milsom or Hewitt. Shame we got rid really.

drillerpie
28-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Curtis is limited but can run, can tackle, probably cares about Notts, and has got the stomach for a relegation fight.

I've had a soft spot for him since the Shaun Derry season, and I could never understand why managers complained about his passing and attacking play being poor. It wasn't great but as a defensive midfielder that wasn't his job, and I don't recall any of the attacking midfielders being that great.

Anyway he seems to be playing every week for Wycombe, and they seem to be doing better than when he wasn't in the team, so I'd be surprised if they didn't offer him an extension.

Chinola
28-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Someone like Jamie Clapham, alongside Mike Edwards, Ricky Ravehill and Neal Bishop.

KintoreMagpie
29-12-2018, 08:46 AM
it would be easy if we could pick a handful of ex Nott's players as there are so many ex quality ones to choose from !

Hence the Dilemma is one and one Only. Therefore part of the problem is what position and then which player......!

Can I therefore cheat slightly, as you do not restrict the thread to ex Notts players we will have seen play, by suggesting the Magpies legend Albert Iremonger. "Best goalie never to play for England". 6'5" tall with a bit of a temper who, if allowed to come with the ethos of his day, could ensure that those currently not up for the fight soon would be under his imposing glare.

Bridg4d_Pie_
29-12-2018, 09:43 AM
I don't recall saying that b4p....but it seems you are saying it for me...xx

Happy New Year Pedro, "I / We Hope".

PedroTheFisherman66
29-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Happy New Year Pedro, "I / We Hope".
Happy New year B4P
You did have a point and one player is not enough to dig us out of this mess.
Not even one of our illustrious greats...
So I will change the rule and expand it to two of our late great exes....
Along with Stubbs I will have Harding in centre midfield...!
Imagine the ear ache you would get off them two during a match...?
P,us both no nonsense with more than a sprinkling of ability in their respected positions.....!