PDA

View Full Version : Cup Tied - What's the Point?

CAMiller
02-01-2019, 01:38 AM
Was reading on another thread that it wouldn't be worth recalling our players out on loan for Sunday's game as they are cup tied. Anyone really know what's the point of this practice? What harm does it do if a player plays for more than one team in a cup competition? I could see in the olden days before the transfer windows were introduced it might prevent a team who were doing well in the cup loading up on players from other teams but surely it's time to scrap the archaic rule?

CASPER-64-FRANK
02-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Yes it's time some of the rules were changed. Especially to the benefit of lower League clubs and small clubs in EFL 1 & 2.
Premier League can have it's own rules..
Transfer window wants altering to 3months minimum not half / full season loans.
Like you said the Cup rules were designed to stop clubs loading up on players in the later rounds.....

mikemiller
02-01-2019, 12:14 PM
I don't particularly mind the "cup-tied" rule... although did RUFC even remember that it was there? May give a clue as to how highly our club regards cup competitions (unfortunately). I agree that the introduction of the transfer window, limit on number of clubs a player can play for in a season, etc, has given the "cup-tied" rule much less significance now.