PDA

View Full Version : Are We Too Narrow?

9goals2hattricks3pen
28-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Something that has struck me watching the last few matches and particualy on Saturday is how narrow we play as a team and the negative consequences that seems to have for us all over the pitch.

In defence: Teams seem to be able to double up on our full backs without having to do very much. At Brighton their No7 and right back Bruno seemed to be continually confronting Townsend with space to run at him and plenty of options. I read some critical remarks on his performance from fans but I just felt he was just too easily isolated. I'm started by blaming Leko in front of him. Was he playing to orders or just not doing his job? It was a similar story on the other wing if not quite so apparent. The upside was we defended our box well but at times it was by the skin of our teeth.

In attack. Our lack of width made everything in the midfield so tight. Brighton seemed to be able get the ball from back to front with 3 or 4 simple passes whereas our players continually received the ball under pressure with no obvious out ball.Too many miss-placed passes which set Brightgon on the attack when we weren't set up to defend. We on the other hand took so long to build up they had plenty of time to set up!

It did improve somewhat hopefully because the management sorted it.I believe the system put a lot of pressure on the kids and too finish I a positive:
They did OK.

boingy
28-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Take your point, Bruno had loads of time and space, and townsend was poor but as regards the system, moore and Jones would have given it a lot of thought with the info they had and they do tweak the system accordingly. We forget that sometimes.