PDA

View Full Version : Craig Mackail-Smith signs on loan

MancMagpie
30-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Just seen on Instagram that he's signed....

Wow, that is a good signing....proven goal scorer and play maker at this level

irishpete
30-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Just seen on Instagram that he's signed....

Wow, that is a good signing....proven goal scorer and play maker at this level

We were after him a couple of seasons ago.Past it,would be my personal opinion

MancMagpie
30-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Nothing like a positive start before he's even kicked a ball!!!XD

irishpete
30-01-2019, 02:12 PM

I know,but what has he done since Posh?

Bridg4d_Pie_
30-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Absolutely make him feel really welcome and needed.

MagpieTony
30-01-2019, 02:14 PM

I think that is a great signing. Would rather have him than Akinfenwe. He's a right handfull and knows where the back of the net is. Has struggled to find consistency since his time at Peterborough but could really be an asset.

Chicken Balti Pie
30-01-2019, 02:21 PM
If he's the replacement for Thomas on the side of a front three, that is a cracking signing, also another personality to add to the mix

macstop
Done deal on BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two

Main site now,

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/mackail-smith-signs-300119/

karl wheatly
Given where we are as a football club - on and off the field! Plus the very real likelihood of relegation, I reckon this is about as good a signing as we are going to get !

MancMagpie
30-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Given where we are as a football club - on and off the field! Plus the very real likelihood of relegation, I reckon this is about as good a signing as we are going to get !

Exactly

MancMagpie
30-01-2019, 02:23 PM
If he's the replacement for Thomas on the side of a front three, that is a cracking signing, also another personality to add to the mix

Yes, would rather have Mack than Thomas any day of the week

magicianpie
30-01-2019, 02:24 PM

I had a similar thought process on this one. TBF probably the right type of player for us scrapping at the wrong end of league 2!

kill_the_drum
30-01-2019, 02:30 PM

I agree.
Whenever I've seen him play against us he's full of energy.
Maybe, just maybe....

Notts78
30-01-2019, 02:32 PM
I had a similar thought process on this one. TBF probably the right type of player for us scrapping at the wrong end of league 2!

Plus there is hope of a couple more signings.
Not bad given Happymagpiehappy said we wouldn’t sign anyone.

Old_pie
30-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Isn't he going to be of help to Stead as well?

Simon the Pieman
30-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Great signing. Really cheered me up. Hope he plays on Saturday.

cher1
30-01-2019, 02:56 PM
To be fair to Hardy, he's clearly still willing to pay out good money. That may well be due to him not wanting to have our relegation on his CV, but at least it doesnt have the air of the complete loss of interest that pervaded last time we were up for sale.

Oldstripy
30-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Another target training today with another possible signing as well.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/neal-ardley-hoping-further-notts-2486875

KCNotts
30-01-2019, 03:48 PM
11 goals in 62 games for Wycombe... he'll fit right in!

countygump
30-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Past it or not, I just can's see how he's any different/ better than the deadbeats we have??? Not a target man, not a prolific scorer since he left Petey. Sorry, I just can't see what the bloke will add??? Nearer 35 than 34, had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, not done particularly well anywhere since he left Posh. Waste of a signing, IMHAHO. Having said all that, best of luck to the lad, like it or not, he's a Magpie now.

centenarypie
30-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Past it or not, I just can's see how he's any different/ better than the deadbeats we have??? Not a target man, not a prolific scorer since he left Petey. Sorry, I just can't see what the bloke will add??? Nearer 35 than 34, had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, not done particularly well anywhere since he left Posh. Waste of a signing, IMHAHO. Having said all that, best of luck to the lad, like it or not, he's a Magpie now.

If we were to take a step back and view our current situation dispassionately you might argue that the signing of Mackail-Smith is a significant coup. We are a club currently heading only one way (that may change) and in light of recent events I commend whoever has convinced the two latest signings to come on board. I doubt I would take a job in a failing business, with a dwindling and dissillusioned clientele and with a chairman who keeps shooting himself in the foot.

forwardmagpie
30-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Happy with signing CMS he has a lot of experience and could make a big difference.

COYP

Bohinen
30-01-2019, 04:18 PM

He's better than Thomas, who he replaced. I agree about the age thing if it were permanent, but he's only on loan to help us get out of this mess. He wouldn't have played 21 games in League One this season if he was that past it. We still need another proper striker though to stop Stead plodding around.

countygump
30-01-2019, 04:21 PM
With a dwindling and disillusioned clientele and with a chairman who keeps shooting himself in the foot.

Thought we had, had really good attendances this year???

He may well have shot himself in the foot but I don't think he'll run the club into the ground a la Ray Trew and the most important thing for existing and new players is that the money is there.

sidders
30-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Jesus, there are some miserable sods in our ranks. If you can't say something good on this topic, best say nothing at all.

countygump
30-01-2019, 04:25 PM
He's better than Thomas, who he replaced. I agree about the age thing if it were permanent, but he's only on loan to help us get out of this mess. He wouldn't have played 21 games in League One this season if he was that past it. We still need another proper striker though to stop Stead plodding around.

And that is possibly the only way I could see him being useful. Maybe on the right of a front 3.

60YearsAPie
30-01-2019, 04:33 PM
had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus

Anything for a laugh, gumpy? Nicklaus must have won all his majors with only half a set of clubs! (You're allowed to carry 14 clubs)

nay123
30-01-2019, 04:38 PM
He may be 34 but he still as pace and a good football brain.

optipez
30-01-2019, 04:39 PM
The few times I've seen him play against us he's always worked very hard, trying to run the back four out of position. If he's got three months left in his pinned legs then he'll be useful for us.
Way better than Thomas will ever be, but I still think we need a 6'3" mobile target man for players like him, Hemmings, Dennis and Enzio to play off.

Big Bob
30-01-2019, 04:40 PM
That'll do me.

SwalePie
30-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Good signing that if he he's still even 80% of the player he was 5 years back

Glad2BeAPie
30-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Oh dear just when we need someone to hold the ball up. We get another midget, that's another 1 to lump the ball upfield to.

Carlton_Pie
30-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Oh dear just when we need someone to hold the ball up. We get another midget, that's another 1 to lump the ball upfield to.

A front 4 of CMS, Hemmings, Enzio and Allesandra with the energy of O'Brien and Rose behind them seems half a decent team.

Frigiliana Pie 1
30-01-2019, 05:01 PM

From what I can remember of him, these days he might be more of a goal creator than a high scorer. And if the ball can be passed to him, he’s got the experience to hold on to it and bring other players into the attack.

Gubbie
30-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Who do these so called fans who aren't happy with cms think we're going to get? Beyond belief some of you. Wouldnt like to be any of your partners miserable g#ts

countygump
30-01-2019, 05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmml5xMyiII

Notts78
30-01-2019, 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmml5xMyiII

Another that talks well. Now we need action.

SwalePie
30-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Another that talks well. Now we need action.

Yep he seems calm and up for the battle. No 'rabbit in the headlights' there.

countygump
30-01-2019, 05:42 PM

JoePass
30-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Yep he seems calm and up for the battle. No 'rabbit in the headlights' there.

More than happy with this signing, it really freshens the side up and god, do we need it.

nottscol
30-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Great signing but knowing our luck this season he'll probably pull his hamstring 10 minutes into the Lincoln game!

slack_pie
30-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Not a bad singing really. He's obviously past his best, but he's the kind of player you'd not enjoy playing against - something we desperately need. If he bullies a few defenders, it'll be an improvement.

jackal2
30-01-2019, 07:21 PM
I think it's honest to say Mackail-Smith's best days are behind him, but his best days were pretty impressive, so he's hopefully still got something to offer even if he's not the prolific hitman of years gone by. You have to be realistic about the type of players willing to join a club well adrift at the bottom of the league. In any case he's only on loan. If he shines and saves us, he might win a contract. If he doesn't, then he simply drops off our payroll at the end of the season.

countygump
30-01-2019, 07:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGaQ0RHKuE

Moreton_Pie
30-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Weren't a certain Mr Hughes' best days behind him when he signed for us
I'll take half of what he did fo us in CMS. Good luck to the fella and thank you Mr Hardy and Mr Ardley he could be the catalyst to slightly better results. Its not a mammoth task to turn this dire season around yet. COYP

Chicken Balti Pie
30-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Weren't a certain Mr Hughes' best days behind him when he signed for us
I'll take half of what he did fo us in CMS. Good luck to the fella and thank you Mr Hardy and Mr Ardley he could be the catalyst to slightly better results. Its not a mammoth task to turn this dire season around yet. COYP

Not really, whilst he was probably past his prime, he wasn't past his prime for league two. Let's face it, he'd never be our league had he not been to prison

slack_pie
31-01-2019, 06:15 AM
Not really, whilst he was probably past his prime, he wasn't past his prime for league two. Let's face it, he'd never be our league had he not been to prison

Exactly. He was really still a Championship player in 2009. To be honest, I think he could have played at any level - he was about as natural a goalscorer as they come. Best Notts player in my lifetime he was.

i961pie
31-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Whatever you think of AH or Ardley you can't fault them for their efforts in this transfer window.

DelroyFacey22
31-01-2019, 09:32 AM
He's more of a winger than a striker these days, had 8 goals and 5 assists last season but most of his appearances this season in League One have been from the bench

Dunce
31-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Whatever you think of AH or Ardley you can't fault them for their efforts in this transfer window.

Absolutely right.

MancMagpie
04-02-2019, 12:51 AM
Thought he played well and he can still run. Doesn't matter if he doesn't score that many, he's a clever player and a bit of a nuisance for defenders. He will get some assists that's for sure, and will also pull people in to positions they don't want to be.

I think his name on the team sheet will put an element of doubt in to the opposition in this league. He can make stuff happen.

Notts78
04-02-2019, 07:37 AM

I honestly think Ardley is the right man for this job. People have been critical of his time towards the end of his AFC Wimbledon days, but forget that squad was punching above its weight. He comes here and inherited squad that was as fragile as any I can ever remember, and people were critical he couldn’t get them playing. People even criticised his demeanour in post match interviews, yet many of us were saying we were done, so had he come out and said we will be fine with a jolly attitude, he would have been vilified and asked to be locked up in a psychiatric unit.
I won’t get carried away with one game. It’s the start, and there will be ups n down until May. Which hopefully culminates in is staying up. Ardley has added players who can definitely help, let’s support this journey and give our all. COYPs

LaxtonLad
04-02-2019, 08:43 AM
I think CMS did a real job for us against the league leaders. When he chased that ball forward and outpaced their two defenders it was something they definitely didn't expect from a thirty-four year-old, that gave 'em something to look out for, a big bustling menace he was. Psychologically,now the defenders are looking for a fast blonde (aren't we all?) and this should give space for other strikers to exploit. We'll really click soon, no fear.

MancMagpie
05-02-2019, 10:58 PM
I just hope he doesn't get injured. I think he could be a key player. Many people had written him off before he had even kicked a ball for us, saying he's past it.......He ran more than anybody else on the pitch, his legs are fine....for L2, same as Doyle.

These players are not getting a game in L1 because it's a more difficult and demanding league. They look good in L2, onwards and upwards, COYP!