PDA

View Full Version : Morton

Brian_Welsh_is_magic
02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Last Friday had my first ever visit to Somerset Park and witnessed an absolute surrender.
Today don’t knowwhat to expect to be honest. Was buzzinyThursday night but now starting to feel the familiar anxiety.
Let’s hope this is the start of the new era. Fight, commitment, skill and desire.
2-0 United. Sow and Butcher.

Dreamsof83
02-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Same here. Excitement and nerves. Will be interesting to see the line up. Don't it will be perfect but I will support and encourage whichever 11 are on the pitch. Hopefully we see Clark starting as one of a two. Think his goals to minutes ratio is actually pretty good. Not brave enough for score predictions though!

Whitfieldarab
02-02-2019, 10:45 AM
2-1 C Smith, Safranko.

Great result with 10 men

Butcher. Red. 44 mins...... ����

TerryTheTerror
02-02-2019, 10:58 AM
Morton will be itching to upset us after the publicity on Thursday

shedka
02-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Yes especially as they have sir Peter of silver as assistant, he will use that as motivation for them

Would be nice to end the sequence of 1-1 draws (last three ended that way) against them with a win though

Since we came down overall record against them is 5 wins 6 draws 2 defeats

skarne1
02-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Thursday has changed everything. We will need to get a quick goal as all teams are going to look on as an even bigger scalp.
Need to fight for every point

PT_Arab
02-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Thursday has changed everything. We will need to get a quick goal as all teams are going to look on as an even bigger scalp.
Need to fight for every point

And we have got a (fairly) quick goal. Safranko bundles in after Butcher's shot was saved. 1-0 United.

One or two good saves by the Morton keeper and United had a fair few corners.

Finally started a game in the correct manner instead of waiting to see what the opposition are going to do and letting them run over the top of us.

PT_Arab
02-02-2019, 03:31 PM
2-0 to United

Peter Pawlett

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 03:31 PM
United are back

PortugueseFrank
02-02-2019, 03:40 PM
So much better.

We've had false dawns before so I'm keeping my feet on the ground but the play is a huge improvement.

I'm actually entertained which is a massive change.

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 03:46 PM
thats what i meant Frank but apart from some great saves we'd 4 up. just 45 mins but ...

cybershed
02-02-2019, 03:47 PM
I'm glad Safranko got on the scoresheet. He's one player that has tried his best in every game since he joined us. I hope the new set up will give him more chances to score.

PT_Arab
02-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Sounds like McCrorie is keeping Morton in the game with a number of good saves.

Stats have United with 10 shots and 6 on target. That sounds like 2 or 3 games worth on recent form.

dreamoftangerine
02-02-2019, 03:54 PM
There’s such a difference in fight! Connolly is a loud chap! He’s not afraid to tell the other boys where to be!!! Seaman and Pawlett doing well down the right. Clark and Safranko linking up well with midfield. Just a good balance to the team. Anyway let’s see what happens in the next 45. Other results are decent for us at half time too!

PortugueseFrank
02-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Their keeper has definitely kept this down to 2.

No exaggeration to say that could be 4

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Fyvie back on and united are back back to being ****e

cybershed
02-02-2019, 04:35 PM
We need another goal. The substitutions seem to have upset our game.

That's Sow on. Hopefully he can keep them busy.

B4 i go
02-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Thank fleck!

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 04:53 PM
job done great first half not second

PT_Arab
02-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Dundee United 2 - 1 Morton Full Time

Phew! sounds like we might have been holding on a bit there in the second half. Quite relieved to hear the full time whistle.

PortugueseFrank
02-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Improved especially first half but I think Morton reorganised for the second half as much as us not keeping the momentum going.

Progress but not gettting carried away.

Will say that I was entertained in the first half for the first time in what feels like an age.

PT_Arab
02-02-2019, 04:56 PM
job done great first half not second

Well it makes a change getting the advantage and then defending it, instead of going behind and looking to rescue the game in the second half.

RogerTheAlien
02-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Should've wrapped the points up In the first half but a wins a win. Roll on Paisley.

Chick A Saw
02-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Should've wrapped the points up In the first half but a wins a win. Roll on Paisley.

3 key elements kept the score down and allowed them back in.

1, Their keeper was unbelievable!
2, New guys not yet match fit.
3, Fraser Fyvie is sadly not good enough anymore.

Happy with Pawlett, Butcher and Harkes, with Safranko, Clark and Booth from the old squad playing their part. Once they bed in together and all get fit, i would like to think we have a great chance!

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 05:18 PM
3 key elements kept the score down and allowed them back in.

1, Their keeper was unbelievable!
2, New guys not yet match fit.
3, Fraser Fyvie is sadly not good enough anymore.

Happy with Pawlett, Butcher and Harkes, with Safranko, Clark and Booth from the old squad playing their part. Once they bed in together and all get fit, i would like to think we have a great chance!

spot on

Sieb's Tash
02-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Harkes looks to be a very good addition based on today, showed real quality. I actually thought all the new boys looked like upgrades on what we had, both centre halfs looked very steady and showed some aggression. Was surprised bouhenna didn't make the squad, injured?

Fyvie looks to be seriously lacking in confidence. No mobility and very poor decision making today. Hopefully RN can sort him out because I suspect we're still going to need over the course.

Onwards and upwards!

PortugueseFrank
02-02-2019, 05:47 PM
I enjoyed seeing Pat back in the midfield today.

Think him and Harkes could do well as a pairing.

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Harkes looks to be a very good addition based on today, showed real quality. I actually thought all the new boys looked like upgrades on what we had, both centre halfs looked very steady and showed some aggression. Was surprised bouhenna didn't make the squad, injured?

Fyvie looks to be seriously lacking in confidence. No mobility and very poor decision making today. Hopefully RN can sort him out because I suspect we're still going to need over the course.

Onwards and upwards!

I think some of this is injury related. It must be on his mind. Liked Harkes and Butch.

Arabknight
02-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Thought all new guys did well. Impressed with both cb’s. Both prepared to shout and boss those around them and looked solid enough. Harkes smith and pawlett all played well with some good direct positive play. Pat was solid aggressive and prepared to mix it. Something we have missed. Still not sure about Nesbitt though. Time will tell. Enough said sbout fyvie.

Over all 1st half outstanding. 2nd half tiredness and subs changed and slowed our up our play. Still a good win.

psych
02-02-2019, 06:22 PM
2nd half was perhaps not surprising. There were a lot of players out there who haven't played much football recently. The one plus about that is if we do end up in the play offs our squad should be fresher than the last 2 play offs where we pretty much run out of gas.

Brian_Welsh_is_magic
02-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Such a buzz after the first half and don’t want to get too down after the second half.
Think Connely got his motm for bawling at Booth (and Smith I think) for letting cross in. Great to see a real leader. Like most, I thought that Butcher was brilliant. Aggressive, winning first and second balls all day, and doing a power of work defensively. Despite that, my personal motm was Harkes. What a brilliant signing this could be. Reminds me a wee bit of Stretch. Head up, gliding through that match, seemed to be a couple of seconds ahead of most around him.
Ogren has backed the club to the hilt. And if this first USA import is anything to go by, things are looking very promising.
Will we win the league? Still odds against I’d say but play offs? Must have a great chance.
Lastly, Sow is going to scorecards of goals for us if he can stay fit. Big brute of a striker. Just what we need.
Shed Rule

TerryTheTerror
02-02-2019, 06:36 PM
I thought we started the second half as we played the first, great. Morton got back into the game when Butcher went off (he did look tired though). Harkes was absolute quality, my MotM.

Shedboy1971
02-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Harkes was my motm id kind of thought he was a token american but if he plays like that we have a very good player

AussieArab44
02-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Great to read from afar about the progress being made with the new players.
Was the reported attendance correct at 4902. I was hoping to see over 6000 given the new era and excitement?

Brian_Welsh_is_magic
02-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Yes it was. But keep playing/winning then they’ll come back.

TerryTheTerror
02-02-2019, 07:06 PM
It was also Baltic!

Chick A Saw
02-02-2019, 07:11 PM
It was also Baltic!

Just like the game, weather was great first half in the GF west lower until the sun went doon! Legs were blocks of ice by the end.:blue:

GingerPetric
02-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Really enjoyed that today, night and day in terms of quality play and entertainment.

I just had a sneaky feeling Harkes was going to be an all round good player, lovely passing, mobility and a bit of dig.

Out of the starting 11 not a single player was off it.

At the start of the second half we had about 3 efforts in 4 minutes.

Thought it was potentially good management by RN when he brought on Fyvie, but there was no uplift in his recent performances, he had a shocker.

The quality of Harkes and Pawlett was tremendous, best game by far Smith has had by far since he came back.

Safranko was very good and more effective, because there were better players around him. Clark was good as well today, much closer to Pavol and lovely set up for Pawlett’s goal.

No pressure game next week, I think we will take St Mirren based on today. If they can do today after a day in training what will they be like after a week? 😋

shedka
02-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Best first half at home since Partick when cammy with got a hat trick in 2016

Very good, should have been 4-5 today, good keeping from them, and a brain fart from Fyvie meant it looked closer, saw it out comfortably

Harkes excellent, as was Butcher and Pawlett

The future of bright no matter how this season ends, mugs and soft no more

Great to read from afar about the progress being made with the new players.
Was the reported attendance correct at 4902. I was hoping to see over 6000 given the new era and excitement?

There is no way that figure is right, why would we have a sub 5k crowd today, no chance, it looked more like 6000 so I am guessing the 4 should have been a 5 and there has been a mix up somewhere

Amateur stuff

GingerPetric
02-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Spot on about the best since the first half since Partick, that’s been a long wait.

Crowd looked better than what was reported, and there was certainly a better atmosphere buoyed by the performance.

What’s the story for next week, still no details on the website?

ballumbie_arab
02-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Impressed with most of the new players, particularly 55 (Connolly), born leader, and motivator.
Booth was utter Sh!te so not sure what game others were watching??
Onwards and upwards, and believe (once they are all fit) we can genuinely challenge the rest! SRYB!

Arabknight
02-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Pat signaled to RN that he had a problem with left hamstring b4 being subbed. Didn’t seem to be anything serious though prob jst tight due to lack of match fitness. Thought he was outstanding today. Had to be calmed down after being tackled by lad near the halfway line. Good to see that aggression and passion again. Sends out a message that we are no longer mugs. Harkes was excellent too. Agree with earlier comment very stretchess 👍

dreamoftangerine
02-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Loads more positive sounds from the folks around me today. Felt happy for the first time in as long as I can remember at Tannadice.

All of the new boys did so well today considering. They really highlighted the difference in quality and attitude between new and old.

Although pleased for the new guys (especially Harkes - the new stretch) I am equally pleased for Safranko and Clark both of whom we’re excellent.

Butcher, Pawlett, Harkes and Smith is the future.

Defence were solid and loved the constant communication amongst them all (think Booth will benefit massively from having these experienced guys alongside).

Pleased!

Oddsox
02-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Biggest thing today, when Morton came into it, we never looked like not winning.
PP is a hell of a player,
Harkes looks super composed
Feel for Fyvie, has had the most serious injury apart from dying a player can get.

marradonna
02-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Very good, should have been 4-5 today, good keeping from them, and a brain fart from Fyvie meant it looked closer, saw it out comfortably

Harkes excellent, as was Butcher and Pawlett

The future of bright no matter how this season ends, mugs and soft no more

Absolutely spot on - Harkes looks like a player - Head up, range of passes, nice touch and picks a great pass pre the 2nd goal. 2 very good CHs there today for this level, experience, not getting bullied by anybody, communication and support for each other. Butcher was very good - Dig is what we have so sadly lacked for ages. Pawlett was good, took the goal well - Looks like a big upgrade on king and Macmullen. Safranko ran and ran as always - He really gives 100%. Sow will score for fun if hes fit? Good crossing and energy from Seaman too.

Good start - Onwards and upwards to Paisley next week - Still see Booth as a potential problem - Keeper needs to improve distribution too - we need quick ball going out wide, not just the punt or the 2 minute wait to allow them to regroup.

9/10 first half, 5/10 second - Overall 7/10 - Good start.

TerryTheTerror
02-02-2019, 09:29 PM
What’s the story for next week, still no details on the website?

Yeah, it isn't on the upcoming games section of the website, odd. Anyway, tickets are on sale at the shop, got mine after the game today.

An old shed boy
02-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Interesting that not much changes.
Between the various sites the majority highlighting the positives but the the minority only interested in the negative.
Booth and Fyvie are ****e in the main.

Whitfieldarab
02-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Pawlett was the stand out player for me for 60 minutes, Harkes MOM overall. Also Safranko's best game for a while

Connolly got mom and therefor came up to hospo where I was a guest and gave a wee speech. He mentioned how good we were in the 1st half and how not so good(5hite was his preferred word) we were in the 2nd,he also said he spoke with a few folk within the club and they'd mentioned about how weak/powder puff we'd been in recent weeks and months and that won't be happening on his watch and that every game from now on is a cup final...... The guy spoke from the heart and genuinely seemed to care.

My new favourite player.

Edit..... because I'd just realised I'd got the correct score right and one of the scorersO:)

Anybody want me to do their coupon next week ��

GingerPetric
02-02-2019, 10:14 PM
I thought Booth was good, especially his attacking in the first half. Fyvie needs more time to get back to his best, playing in the first team right now might not be the best thing for him.

When they came back into things late on maybe more of their play came down the right?

Couldn’t fault the starting 11 today.

Most positive I’ve felt in a long time following a visit to Tannadice....long may it continue.

Chick A Saw
02-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Good start - Onwards and upwards to Paisley next week - Still see Booth as a potential problem - Keeper needs to improve distribution too - we need quick ball going out wide, not just the punt or the 2 minute wait to allow them to regroup.

Booth probably is the weak link in the new chain, but within this team with Cammy in front of him and Reynolds inside, i think he may improve enough with a bit of pressure taken off him.

Siegrist i have always thought was the better keeper of the summer 2 and is getting better with every game. Thats not to say he will ever be anywhere near the legend that is Clangers Langfield! He did make a few punches, even plucked the ball out the air in a challenge and late on, threw the ball out to set up a break. Everything else i think is what the manager wants but more should be made of his quick throw as it could be deadly once the players who could capitalize on that get fit.

GingerPetric
02-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Cheers TTT, think we’ll be taking a big support down after today.

TerryTheTerror
02-02-2019, 10:23 PM
It's really odd that some folks think Booth is really bad and others (I'm one of them) think he's very decent. I thought he had a good game today.

Chick A Saw
02-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Just watched the goals on the zone and been reminded that it all started with a "Siegrist! WTF have you just done?" A Harkes, Clark, Pawlett later and its in the net! A couple of weeks ago, i would not have spotted Harkes pick up the ball as my head would have been in my hands waiting for the shed to erupt!

Keep this progress up please?

LSArab
02-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Fantastic first half. Managed to show winning mentality in the second. Perhaps should have been more ruthless to win by more.

Connolly was immense. If he stays fit we hopefully have a future club captain and someone who can make home here for many years.

All starting 11 did well. I think booth can do ok and with others around him can improve.

Clark and Safranko 2 up front and it worked

Pawlett was brilliant. Reynolds solid. Harkes and Butcher were great. No weak links until the subs came on.

First half hour was best seen of United in a long time.

This team need to be in premier. Have to hope for title this year!!

Come on United!!

Whitfieldarab
02-02-2019, 10:30 PM
It's really odd that some folks think Booth is really bad and others (I'm one of them) think he's very decent. I thought he had a good game today.

He did play well today but defensively he wasn't under much pressure. He's actually quite good going forward but you just have to look at how pi55 poor and weak he was at Ayr's goal last Friday to see his flaws.

Hopefully Connolly & Reynolds being beside him improves his defensive qualities.

Chick A Saw
02-02-2019, 10:35 PM

I dont think Booth had his best game today, but he played his part. There was one point today where he had what looked like 4 or 5 players around him all trying to get the ball and he just didnt give up on it. Ref blew up for a foul, but should have let play go on as Booth had them beaten and was in the box! He also has a sweet first touch on him at times.

shedka
02-02-2019, 10:44 PM
You'd think we lost reading some of the paps on east futba, we have some fans that didn't deserve the good times before and have deserved some of the dross in recent years... Hopefully they will chill out and enjoy the good times and appreciate them when they return under Robbie

That was a comfortable win that should have been more and was only not for to a bit I slackness from Fyvie, doesn't make him a bad player or a liability or mean that Neilson is to blame for anything, why do we always need to apportion blame

Morton are no mugs and have some decent players, we had a lot of players that hadn't played much football and getting to know each others game and subs were made, a mistake leg then back in and then we saw it through without looking like losing another

Go look at our team sheet against Dunfermline on the opening day, the bench and the manager, that was worth b!tchin about

Dreamsof83
02-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Infinitely better today. First half obviously more so, a genuinely exciting affair. Interesting he stuck with a 4-2-3-1 and I think Clark deserves credit. Good performance out of his natural position. Linked the play well. Every good move went through him and Pawlett. Wonder if we will see formation change as the squad gets a chance to spend time together? Genuine leaders on the park today. Connolly never shut up and helped Seaman through the game.

Hard when you are out of form to come onto a game. Fyvie is still a really good player, probably trying too hard just now. At least with more depth around, him and Stanton shouldn't have to play out of position any more. Would be happy to see any of our midfielders named on the teams need to be honest, although clearly Harkes and Butcher look like they will be hard to shift.

Arabdownsouth
02-02-2019, 11:29 PM
You'd think we lost reading some of the paps on east futba, we have some fans that didn't deserve the good times before and have deserved some of the dross in recent years... Hopefully they will chill out and enjoy the good times and appreciate them when they return under Robbie

That was a comfortable win that should have been more and was only not for to a bit I slackness from Fyvie, doesn't make him a bad player or a liability or mean that Neilson is to blame for anything, why do we always need to apportion blame

Morton are no mugs and have some decent players, we had a lot of players that hadn't played much football and getting to know each others game and subs were made, a mistake leg then back in and then we saw it through without looking like losing another

Go look at our team sheet against Dunfermline on the opening day, the bench and the manager, that was worth b!tchin about

I also post on east football and not really sure which comments you're talking about tbh? There certainly isn't a negative vibe on there tonight at all as far as I can see. Fyvie's fitness aside everyone seems over the moon with the new team, I think you're just nit picking.

ahlltanyirhide
03-02-2019, 12:01 AM
I think it should have been a comfortable win but bringing Fyvie into the fray was wrong, very poor decision from the coaches. If Fyvie is not fit then he should rest up and give us a something special in the playoffs, if he is fit, and that’s all he’s got left, then that’s a loss for us. But I wouldn’t bring him on unless it was really necessary. As said before, Morton are not as good as Ayr, organised yes but not as good. Don’t think we were in any danger of losing the game but if we could play like we did in the first 35 for at least 65 minutes we would demolish someone, anyone, and that is what I want to see. Good 3 points though, game at a time!

arab81
03-02-2019, 08:32 AM
As shedka said about our line up and bench compared to the opening day line up. Scarey stuff. I genuinely believe we'd be closer to f

arab81
03-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Closer to falkirk & partick if we'd stuck instead of twisted.
No pressure next wk, whatever the result it's another 90mins under the belt for the new lads.

NostradamusArab
03-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Stunning performance yesterday and RN looks like he can get them playing as a unit very quickly. Disappointed that a physically/ mentally unfit Fyfie came on in the second half though. Booth looks decent going forward but he will never be a defender in a million years!

TangerineDream
03-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Some great performances yesterday, Pawlet , Butcher, Cammy Smith, Safranko, Connolly, Reynolds , but well done to all the lads. Motm young Harkes, he was superb.

Good support from the Arabians also.

The new era has commenced. Early days but looking like this is beyond our expectations even a few months ago.

SRYB

TangerineDream
03-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Should also have included the goalie as he has improved massively, played well yesterday. I see there’s been a bit of debate about Booth , think he has been good recently and again yesterday.Has his faults but I really like the lad.

AND the strength and depth in the squad now. Looking at that bench yesterday first thought was we have the players waiting to come on that can change the game. As I say it’s early days but feeling very positive this morning.

TerryTheTerror
03-02-2019, 12:09 PM
I think, if he'd been available yesterday, Gomis would have came on for Butcher.

Shedboy1971
03-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Agree wont rule out fyvie going forward but something amiss just now and presure off him so ease back in.

ClashCityRocker
03-02-2019, 12:27 PM
The days of United being a push over are over.

Will we win the league now ? - maybe.

Can we win the play offs ?- maybe.

Will we be in the Premier League next season ? - maybe.

Are you United still a push over - NO !

darrenshedtastic
03-02-2019, 12:28 PM
thought yesterday was more like it. looked fairly solid and never looked like conceding until a silly pass from fyvie but looked good going forward in 1st half esp. 1st half was the most dominate 45mins ive seen in a long time so more of that then we could achieve what we want. 2nd was more stuffy. morton re-organised and looked to play themselves back into the game. never in doubt imo. should have been more convincing is the only negative ive got but that was down to their keeper making some good saves.

Benji- still dont know why people give him such a hard time. hes a solid keeper and with two solid/loud defenders infront of him itll help him be more commanding.
Seaman- how good is it to actually have a natural RB rather than a CM or CB playing there. looked decent not only going forward but defensively was sound.
Connolly- commanding performance. reminded me of fojut for some reason but similar style.
Reynolds- couldnt tell that was his first game since May. look solid and hoping him and connolly will create a good partnership
Booth- i like booth does well going forward and decent enough defensively imo. if people moan for him to be dropped and be replaced by robson fs.
Harkes- impressive with him. always looked to get on the ball, had abit of dig and plenty of energy. MOTM
Butcher- good to have him back. solid in the middle. desire to win tackles and do the dirty work is what weve lacked.
Smith- best game since hes been back. on another day could have scored twice.
Pawlett - good way to start your united career. took his goal well and drove the team forward.
Clark- link up play was good and supported Safranco well.
Safranco- looks miles better when he has support and service. glad to see him get his goal

Nesbitt- didnt do much but seems to be still building up fitness
Sow - some decent touches and if we can get him playing will be an asset
Fyvie - two shocker passes but you could tell his confidence had been shot. think a wee spell concentrating on fitness could be massive for him. theres a player in there just injuries have taken their toll it seems.

overall happy days. lets hope we can build on it.

psych
04-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Indeed

This was the rebuilding exercise that Martin gave to Csaba

M Rakovan,
S Wardrop,
F Frans,
Edjengueley
J Robson (P McMullan, 83),
S Stanton,
C Rabitsch (F Aird, 45),
Y Loemba,
A Barton,
N Clark,
C Curran (M Smith, 72)

subs not used

P Watson, D Glass, S Allardice, B Siegrist

Arabdownsouth
04-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Indeed

This was the rebuilding exercise that Martin gave to Csaba

M Rakovan,
S Wardrop,
F Frans,
Edjengueley
J Robson (P McMullan, 83),
S Stanton,
C Rabitsch (F Aird, 45),
Y Loemba,
A Barton,
N Clark,
C Curran (M Smith, 72)

subs not used

P Watson, D Glass, S Allardice, B Siegrist

In fairness to the previous managers, they didn't have the same level of backing that Robbie is now enjoying, but jesus that is some grim reading! Really excited to see our current line up though!

Daly9
04-02-2019, 10:55 AM
In fairness to the previous managers, they didn't have the same level of backing that Robbie is now enjoying, but jesus that is some grim reading! Really excited to see our current line up though!

Not sure I agree with that. McKinnon and Laszlo both signed more than 11 players and a lot of them won’t have come cheap.

The new owners have given Neilson over and above the budget from the start of the season but that wouldn’t have been necessary if previous managers had done their jobs.

Arabdownsouth
04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Not sure I agree with that. McKinnon and Laszlo both signed more than 11 players and a lot of them won’t have come cheap.

The new owners have given Neilson over and above the budget from the start of the season but that wouldn’t have been necessary if previous managers had done their jobs.

I'm not defending the previous managers as such, but let's not pretend that we would have been chucking around the same kind of money in the summer that we have just shelled out for the quality we have just brought in, not a chance.

PortugueseFrank
04-02-2019, 11:30 AM
We are operating in a different level of the transfer market now.

No question that Robbie has more resources at his disposal than previous two bosses in my mind.

The new owner is spending as oppose to the previous regimes who were looking to reduce costs.

GingerPetric
04-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Agree with that Frank, proper investment in proper players. The players we have just signed are night and day compared to what’s gone on the past few years.

From a week and a bit ago thinking we were in a bad place after Ayr to now having a squad that would give you a chance of holding your own in the premier league. And that’s before another window.

We have a decent chance of going up this season, and I’ve a feeling St Mirren will get it tight this Saturday.

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 01:58 PM
The pace and direct play in first half was the best ive seen for an age. Pawlett driving through middle, butcher getting stuck in but boy can he pass as well, Harkes energy and two no nonsense CBs also Smith was good. Even when the tempo dipped we still had nice touches. Safranko getss around but is not a prolific striker so if Sow comes good we should start to kill teams off. Caution though is we will get kicked from pillar to post and teams in this league are adept at counter attack. I also though Booth was good going forward.

offshore_arab83
04-02-2019, 04:39 PM

i like him although alot of my mates dont ha ha

offshore_arab83
04-02-2019, 04:39 PM

east futbah easily the worst forum out there

ARAbCHNID
04-02-2019, 04:45 PM

I think Robbie must have said to Booth before the game, pretend you're one of the new players :)
I was calling him Superman in the first half.

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 04:54 PM

He appears to be marmite. He had step overs and cut backs on by line in first half that were brilliant.

chiefers
04-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Booth was good on Saturday
Don’t know why people don’t like him
Maybe all the previous crap around him dragged him down

PortugueseFrank
04-02-2019, 05:27 PM
I like Booth. He has potential.

Hope we don't destroy any hope the boy has of doing well for us by jumping on his back.

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 05:42 PM
I trust RN here. He is really comfortable on the ball going forward too. Both our full backs look like they could get caught out of position - thats where the DMs come into play!

ARAbCHNID
04-02-2019, 05:51 PM
I'll bet if he'd been some random loanee from Peterborough or somewhere we'd all be saying he was good, wasn't he?

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Possibly. Lets face it he is no Alex Nicholls :)

shedka
04-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Agree with that Frank, proper investment in proper players. The players we have just signed are night and day compared to what’s gone on the past few years.

From a week and a bit ago thinking we were in a bad place after Ayr to now having a squad that would give you a chance of holding your own in the premier league. And that’s before another window.

We have a decent chance of going up this season, and I’ve a feeling St Mirren will get it tight this Saturday.

I'm completely relaxed about promotion this season, obviously would love it and really really want it but reckon we are stick ons next season if not

Looking forward to break from the league, this is a winnable cup tie

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 06:17 PM
its winnable competitive and our new signings another game in. Perfect timing.

shedka
04-02-2019, 06:19 PM
east futbah easily the worst forum out there

Agree, the above post wasn't just talking about Saturday during the game, just in general a feeling really it for ages, of the utd ones I read, this and teks I much prefer, then pie n bovril utd threads with that very much a distant fourth

Daly9
04-02-2019, 07:13 PM
We are operating in a different level of the transfer market now.

No question that Robbie has more resources at his disposal than previous two bosses in my mind.

The new owner is spending as oppose to the previous regimes who were looking to reduce costs.

If that stacks up financially fair enough but I’m not sure the 11 Neilson signings, 4 of whom are on 4 month loan deals are costing the club more than the 16(?) new players Csaba signed in summer in addition to contract renewals to likes of Fyvie, Robson and Matty Smith.

For me having new owners, structure and a competent manager in place is what is undoubtedly making us more attractive to potential signings. I think they’re bigger factors than the money on offer.

Arabdownsouth
04-02-2019, 08:05 PM
If that stacks up financially fair enough but I’m not sure the 11 Neilson signings, 4 of whom are on 4 month loan deals are costing the club more than the 16(?) new players Csaba signed in summer in addition to contract renewals to likes of Fyvie, Robson and Matty Smith.

For me having new owners, structure and a competent manager in place is what is undoubtedly making us more attractive to potential signings. I think they’re bigger factors than the money on offer.

Are you forgetting that we have just shelled out transfer fees for 3 of the new signings? Not to mention the amount spent getting rid of some of that dross.Then there's the money spent totally restructuring the set up, you'd have to be daft to think that Robbie hasn't got it much much easier than his predecessors.

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Are you forgetting that we have just shelled out transfer fees for 3 of the new signings? Not to mention the amount spent getting rid of some of that dross.Then there's the money spent totally restructuring the set up, you'd have to be daft to think that Robbie hasn't got it much much easier than his predecessors.

Not really mckinnon and the clown got a summer to build their own squads. He has been given backing without lumbering with dross he wants rid off. Imagine we gave the clown that money!!

Arabdownsouth
04-02-2019, 08:43 PM
Not really mckinnon and the clown got a summer to build their own squads. He has been given backing without lumbering with dross he wants rid off. Imagine we gave the clown that money!!

Our success will be mostly dependent on the quality of the players we sign. That's pretty much how football works these days. Robbie is fishing in a better pond with a bigger net, that's really the only point I'm making. Not in anyway saying that I'd rather have the other two back, but we are still playing the same formation we have for the last few seasons, Saturday showed it works better with better players.

Daly9
04-02-2019, 08:52 PM

I’ve no idea what transfer fees came to. The accounts will tell us in time wether we shelled out or not.

The money spent getting rid of dross and youth set up etc doesn’t come into my point. It’s obvious the overall level of investment is much higher now but I’m not convinced that what Neilson has spent on his 11 players is a great deal higher than what previous 2 had to play with. Imagine once we trim the fat of inherited players the player wage to turnover ratio will remain at a similar level to what it’s been in previous seasons. Not a sustainable model otherwise.

I also don’t believe Neilson’s job to be easier at all. In last 2 summers McKinnon and Laszlo had blank canvases and biggest budget in league to assemble their squads. I’m sure Neilson would’ve loved opportunity to be able to build his own 20 man squad when the pool of available players was much higher and have 36 games to win league.

PortugueseFrank
04-02-2019, 09:26 PM
I find it hard to believe we would have had the budget to sign Sow and Pawlett to contracts for example.

I reckon before Ogren they would simply have been out of our reach.

stokearab
04-02-2019, 10:04 PM
I find it hard to believe we would have had the budget to sign Sow and Pawlett to contracts for example.

I reckon before Ogren they would simply have been out of our reach.

Without knowing the figures I'd have to agree with this Frank. I think we have really changed it up here.

Daly9
04-02-2019, 11:04 PM
You both could right or it might be a simple case of using the money more wisely and instead of signing 4-5 squad players on £1k per week, signing 2 better players on £2-£2.5k a week.

One thing we can be sure is neither player would be near Tannadice if McKinnon or Laszlo was the manager.

Shedboy1971
04-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Our success will be mostly dependent on the quality of the players we sign. That's pretty much how football works these days. Robbie is fishing in a better pond with a bigger net, that's really the only point I'm making. Not in anyway saying that I'd rather have the other two back, but we are still playing the same formation we have for the last few seasons, Saturday showed it works better with better players.
Agree on system and players

stokearab
04-02-2019, 11:16 PM
You both could right or it might be a simple case of using the money more wisely and instead of signing 4-5 squad players on £1k per week, signing 2 better players on £2-£2.5k a week.

One thing we can be sure is neither player would be near Tannadice if McKinnon or Laszlo was the manager.

Agree with this as well. Been saying for quite a while now that we could work with fewer players but much better quality. Hopefully that's what we're seeing now

TerryTheTerror
05-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Agree with this as well. Been saying for quite a while now that we could work with fewer players but much better quality. Hopefully that's what we're seeing now

It's clearly NOT this that is happening at the moment. The new owner is spending big to get us promoted all areas and there is no way it's sustainable at our level without him funding it.

Shedboy1971
05-02-2019, 07:20 AM
It's clearly NOT this that is happening at the moment. The new owner is spending big to get us promoted all areas and there is no way it's sustainable at our level without him funding it.

My thoughts are that he was convinced we are flogging a dead horse just now so invest now to reap later. I think this is positive as its not just expensive loan deals or short term contracts but good quality and there is a clear structure developing ground up. I dont think he is in this for short term. Get us up, get us in top 6, maybe get some bids and younger players through. The most intriguing aspect os Brian Grants new role to develop 18-23 years olds. Thats where money can be made.

Of course he is funding it and the risk we all see is if in 2 years we arent up when will he get fed up? We will be up by then with RN though in my view. I actually think we are going up this season if we can limit injuries.

You know im looking at this positively. He has been a saviour so far. Yes that can all turn sour but we shouldnt live our lives fearing the future either.

SRYB

JamesMcClean
05-02-2019, 07:51 AM
The youth system restructuring is actually probably the best news of the lot in the past month. Something has gone badly rotten in the state of Tannadice since Campbell was driven out when it comes to youth development. Bringing on young guys and developing them into first team players has always been the way back to the days of Wee Jum. This has currently ground to a halt and looking at the timing and the ages of players who should now be breaking through, this can be directly traced back to Campbell’s disgraceful hounding out. For future reference thereafter, once this is hopefully up and running again in the medium term, the salient lesson to be learnt is, for sure, sell the odd player now and again to keep the finances ticking over but never EVER engage in the greedy, mass multi player clear out in the short term that was directly responsible for where we have currently ended up.

TerryTheTerror
05-02-2019, 09:22 AM
You say that but our current owner has already said he's in this to make profit. That doesn't look like what your are suggesting to me.

JamesMcClean
05-02-2019, 10:07 AM
You say that but our current owner has already said he's in this to make profit. That doesn't look like what your are suggesting to me.

You can make profit Terry, but that must always be balanced against continuing success on the park as if you put that in jeopardy then you risk killing the goose that laid the golden eggs. We’ve ended up losing more money than ever in the long term due to short term decisions. Yes, the new owners are here to make money but I’d like to think the long term development of the Club would heavily influence future selling decisions. As with everything, this is of course crystal ball stuff and nothing in life is guaranteed, but the decisions already taken so far already would appear to have long term benefits as the priority.