PDA

View Full Version : If we stay up, will we go up next season?

jscarr
16-02-2019, 09:25 PM
With the momentum that we will have as well as Ardley having a summer to recruit his own players, surely we will be one of the favorites to go up next year, if he pulls this off. I think this could be a great time as a County supporter from where we have come from, exciting times.

tied_up_in_notts
16-02-2019, 10:01 PM
He did it at Wimbledon

Elite_Pie
16-02-2019, 10:03 PM
With the momentum that we will have as well as Ardley having a summer to recruit his own players, surely we will be one of the favorites to go up next year, if he pulls this off. I think this could be a great time as a County supporter from where we have come from, exciting times.

I'd rather concentrate on finishing 22nd or above this season before thinking about next season.

The_Don_ORiordan
16-02-2019, 10:11 PM
Some folk need to get a grip.

When we won 3 in a row earlier this season folk starting taking about making the playoffs....look how that turned out.

Let’s not get too carried away Guys.

When we’re safe, then next season’s prospects can be properly assessed.

Boston flyer
16-02-2019, 10:55 PM
(From father Ted)

Steady on now

jscarr
17-02-2019, 01:40 AM
If we stay up, we will go up next year I hope Hardy will buy into his vision as we conquer this division.

the_anticlough
17-02-2019, 02:10 AM
I'd rather concentrate on finishing 22nd or above this season before thinking about next season.

Yes, I've got zero appetite for this type of talk after the experience of this season so far. Given that most were predicting top three in August not 24th, I'd rather not read about promotion til say January, if we survive.

irishpete
17-02-2019, 05:12 AM
Mentioned this on another post Yesterdaay.It does seem to happen.One season a team really struggles,the next,high flying.Swansea,Plymouth,Wimbledon & Bournemouth I think spring to mind.
The difference in winning 3 games earlier in the season was not against top 6 sides,& this time we were in a rut well & truly.

slack_pie
17-02-2019, 06:46 AM
Definitely getting ahead of ourselves with this thread, but the OP has a point. I mean, if we had started the season with this squad and manager, in this form, surely we'd be one of the best teams in the division?

If we do stay up, a lot will depend on the summer again (as always), and that will be dictated by who owns the club. We need to keep hold of players like Enzio and Hemmings, not sell them off at the first opportunity. Then build from there.

First things first though. Survival is everything right now, so let's get the job done.

nw6pie
17-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Let’s continue the promotion form of the last three games for the next 14, then review things.

We are in great form and look like a proper team at last, but let’s not forget how quickly things can turn against you with injuries and suspensions to key players. We’ve played brilliantly against top 5 sides in these 3 games, now we face a new challenge, starting with Newport. Let’s get out of the drop zone on Tuesday and then put some distance between us and the bottom two.

KintoreMagpie
17-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Definitely getting ahead of ourselves with this thread, but the OP has a point. I mean, if we had started the season with this squad and manager, in this form, surely we'd be one of the best teams in the division?

If we do stay up, a lot will depend on the summer again (as always), and that will be dictated by who owns the club. We need to keep hold of players like Enzio and Hemmings, not sell them off at the first opportunity. Then build from there.

First things first though. Survival is everything right now, so let's get the job done.

Says it all.

Nay doubt that if we had had this team and manager at the start of the season then, injuries and suspensions permitting, we would be up there challenging for promotion. Fact is we are currently BOTTOM of the BASE league in English professional football. The threads that we were hanging by to our status as the world's oldest professional football club a few weeks ago have definitely strengthened to rope but we must continue with improving our situation. There may yet be bumps along the way but securing our L2 status has to come first. Once that is done next season can take care of next season.

Old_pie
17-02-2019, 08:20 AM
I keep saying that we need to have a steady ship and a season without drama but one in which the foundations are securely built.

We have two excellent defenders, both on loan. Look what happened when we lost Yates. They have to be replaced. We have two brilliant and experienced mid-fielders, one getting on quite a bit, the other with not the best injury reputation. Still need to sort out the goalkeeping situation, Steady is what, 36, CMS is on loan. If we'd had this squad at the beginning of the season and it did get promoted there's not enough to keep us up.

Some serious pruning and some continued development of the squad first please - whether or not we stay up.

ncfcog
17-02-2019, 08:52 AM
I keep saying that we need to have a steady ship and a season without drama but one in which the foundations are securely built.

We have two excellent defenders, both on loan. Look what happened when we lost Yates. They have to be replaced. We have two brilliant and experienced mid-fielders, one getting on quite a bit, the other with not the best injury reputation. Still need to sort out the goalkeeping situation, Steady is what, 36, CMS is on loan. If we'd had this squad at the beginning of the season and it did get promoted there's not enough to keep us up.

Some serious pruning and some continued development of the squad first please - whether or not we stay up.

Couldn’t agree more. The one positive is that NA has shown he has an eye for a player and really understands what is needed for success at this level. Assuming we have an owner/owners prepared to back him in the summer and he recruits like he did in January we have much to look forward to.

Doyle, although aging is a winner and with us for another season. Just having him in the dressing room will be a bonus. Also who’s to say one or two of these young loanees couldn’t be back again for another season?

Talk of promotion next season is premature for sure considering we are not out of the woods yet, but assuming we will stay up I’m confident we will have a combative squad assembled come August.

sidders
17-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Well said, Oldie. The voice of reason. I like your style.

BigFatPie
17-02-2019, 09:14 AM
I certainly hope the players and management aren’t thinking about next season, but I think as fans we’re allowed to. As things stand we’ve got a great base to build on with some very good players signed up. Certainly looks like we’ll have a proper midfield, which we didn’t have at the start of this season.

The hardest thing will be to keep hold of Enzio, though hopefully if we got decent money for him that would be re invested back into the team.