PDA

View Full Version : Another 5yr plan to the Championship bites the dust!

Old_pie
06-03-2019, 11:30 AM
"I had a five-year plan and I haven't made it, we wanted to be in the Championship but we aren't," he said.

No not Hardy, not Trew, but Lee Powers at Swindon:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47440998

I'm going to go into Football ownership consultancy and take 1% of the savings by banning any talks of 5yr plans to the championship.

Where do successful business men get this idea from? I can run a recruitment company therefore ... I've gone from building sheds to refurbishing offices therefore ...

And where did Lee Power get his money from, surely not as a Football Agent?

DelroyFacey22
06-03-2019, 12:02 PM
You always have to have goals and a plan to achieve them though otherwise what's the point? Most teams in Leagues One and Two having ambitions to play in the Championship isn't unrealistic in my opinion, likewise teams in the Championship having aspirations to get into the Premiership.

None are as silly or out there as the Munto "Champions League in 5 years" plan but then again, if that money had actually existed and we'd been taken over by someone with Man City's wealth it wouldn't be that unachievable after back to back promotions to the Championship, that would be the tricky part though, The Championship is a hell of a league to get out of.

Old_pie
06-03-2019, 01:09 PM
You always have to have goals and a plan to achieve them though otherwise what's the point?

So you were a Munto supporter?

You can have goals of sustainability, youth, stability, making the match day experience enjoyable. Get fundamentals right and success is likely to follow. Go chasing dreams with shedloads of money end up being nightmares.

I can't recall now but did Dunnett/Sirrel go around shouting "2nd division" in 5yrs? I seem to think it was all slow and steady progress with a balance of youth and good recruitment combined with an excellent manager.

I discount Pavis/Warnock as being an aberration however exciting it was to go to Wembley Play-offs.

countygump
06-03-2019, 01:12 PM

You can have goals of sustainability, youth.

Yep:

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/tottenham/tottenham-eye-move-for-lower-league-star

DelroyFacey22
06-03-2019, 01:21 PM

You can have goals of sustainability, youth, stability, making the match day experience enjoyable. Get fundamentals right and success is likely to follow. Go chasing dreams with shedloads of money end up being nightmares.

I can't recall now but did Dunnett/Sirrel go around shouting "2nd division" in 5yrs? I seem to think it was all slow and steady progress with a balance of youth and good recruitment combined with an excellent manager.

I discount Pavis/Warnock as being an aberration however exciting it was to go to Wembley Play-offs.

Of course I was a Munto supporter? Who on earth wouldn't have been when it all seemed legitimate? It was like living in a dream world where someone had put in a cheat code to give you a huge transfer budget on Football Manager, anyone that says they would have rather seen another season of god awful football under McParland struggling just above the relegation zone in front of cr*p crowds is an absolute liar.

That season is the best season I've watched as a Notts fan by an absolute mile, sure we have to be thankful for Ray Trew eventually footing the bill Munto left the club with but without Munto coming in we'd have probably gone under. McParland wasn't making subs the season before because we couldn't afford to pay players' appearance bonuses so god knows what kind of squad he would've put together with that kind of budget in 09/10.

Regarding the actual "plan" stuff, our fans start moaning if they're not told whats happening every 5 minutes so any incoming owner can't win. If they arrive and don't give any sort of indication as to what their plans are people will go mad and jump to all sorts of conclusions. Ala Paul Hart not giving a weekly press conference to let fans know what he was up to meaning he was obviously sitting in an office at Meadow Lane playing solitaire all day.

Old_pie
06-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Yep:

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/tottenham/tottenham-eye-move-for-lower-league-star

We got quite a lot of football out of Hateley, Astle and others before they were sold on, and many of us were happy for them that they'd moved up the ladder and proud of the part they'd played in some of our success.

The problem now is that they get sold on speculatively and before they've been able to achieve anything for the club that nurtured them. Pennant anybody?

Mind you we were back to just about where we are now by the mid-'60's. To be honest getting quite fed up with it all really.

Jeekay56
06-03-2019, 03:02 PM

No, Mr Dunnett gave a target of the Second Division in three years!

Bohinen
06-03-2019, 05:35 PM
No, Mr Dunnett gave a target of the Second Division in three years!

Didn't he promise us Europe at one stage?

That was before he appointed Larry Lloyd though.

slack_pie
06-03-2019, 07:27 PM
I'm done with plans. To be honest, I'd be happy if we won more home games than we lost. If we do that in front of the kind of crowds we've had the last two seasons, with the odd local derby here and there to spice it up, I'm no longer all that bothered which division we play our football in.

countygump
06-03-2019, 07:41 PM
I'm done with plans. To be honest, I'd be happy if we won more home games than we lost. If we do that in front of the kind of crowds we've had the last two seasons, with the odd local derby here and there to spice it up, I'm no longer all that bothered which division we play our football in.

This^^^ Cos unless someone comes in with mega-wad, L1 or L2 is most prob the best it gets for clubs our size. OK, I know Burton did it on a shoestring but how often does that happen???

Old_pie
06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Didn't he promise us Europe at one stage?

That was before he appointed Larry Lloyd though.

He, Dunnett, was unlucky though that his success suffered from the double whammy of some local club winning a cup or two, can't remember which one, and that gates throughout football were suffering. We were within a smidgin of establishing ourselves in the top flight.

queenslandpie
06-03-2019, 08:54 PM
He, Dunnett, was unlucky though that his success suffered from the double whammy of some local club winning a cup or two, can't remember which one, and that gates throughout football were suffering. We were within a smidgin of establishing ourselves in the top flight.

I am only interested in sustainability. The day Alan Hardy jazzed up the dressing rooms was a dark day for me as it told me all there is to you need to know about the man. Appearance and conjecture matters more than anything and appearance and conjecture get you nowhere in football. His vanity project has failed and hes put a lot of peoples jobs at risk all to satisfy his ego. Get the basics right and other things can follow. That is sense that works in business and its sense that works in football. Anything else when you are in League 2 (hopefully) is not required.

JoePass
06-03-2019, 08:59 PM
I am only interested in sustainability. The day Alan Hardy jazzed up the dressing rooms was a dark day for me as it told me all there is to you need to know about the man. Appearance and conjecture matters more than anything and appearance and conjecture get you nowhere in football. His vanity project has failed and hes put a lot of peoples jobs at risk all to satisfy his ego. Get the basics right and other things can follow. That is sense that works in business and its sense that works in football. Anything else when you are in League 2 (hopefully) is not required.

One assumes you don’t like him.

queenslandpie
06-03-2019, 11:16 PM
One assumes you don’t like him.

I was well aware of the issues at Paragon for some time Joe as I have contacts in that area in Nottingham way before it went public but was told in confidence so didn't splatter it all over a message board. And yes given what happened and is happening to people I know and respect Its fair to say I am not his biggest fan although I have never met the man and judge only on the impact he has had on other peoples lives. I wouldn't say I dislike him but I dislike the way he has gone about things. Very naive and you would think someone like that would know better. It is clearly all about the ego I am afraid. Hes got a very rude awakening now.