PDA

View Full Version : Match Ratings

i961pie
16-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Scholfield. 6 not much to do made one good save low down.
Tootle 6. Didn't do to bad for his first game for a while.
Stubbs 8.5 Excellent game blocked out any threat from their forwards
Duffy 8. See Stubbs, bought a calming influence to the defence.
Milson. 7 Another steady performance at fullback.
Enzio 5 not involved much missed our one and only great chance.
Rose 6 Did ok and worked hard.
Alles 5 worked hard but ineffective
Vaughn 5. Plays to many balls back and sideways, creates nothing.
Doyle 6. missed his mate O'Brien today
Hemmings 5. isolated up front on his own for much of the game

It was a scrappy game with defences well on top.
We had one great chance that Enzio wasted. There was no creativity.
They were a well organised if dirty side.

durhampie
16-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Cant argue with that...

navypie
16-03-2019, 06:12 PM

I didn't think they were that dirty, they did what they had to do which wasn't a lot, to be honest.

BanjoPie
16-03-2019, 06:13 PM
“Why”

navypie
16-03-2019, 06:39 PM
“Why”

Why what?

nw6pie
16-03-2019, 06:59 PM

It's hard to see where the goals are coming from - since we beat Tranmere 3-2 on December 15, we have scored a pathetic 4 goals in the subsequent 8 home games (and only won once). Worse, we don't even look like scoring most of the time.

Hemmings stepped up to the plate against Carlisle, but our only decent performers today were all at the back.

BanjoPie
16-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Why what?

Why bother with match ratings!!

navypie
16-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Why don't you fcuk off. ****.

Elite_Pie
16-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Maybe because people who were unable to be at the game might just be interested in who the fans who were there thought played well and who didn't play well? I only get to occasional away games so always look forward to these threads.

navypie
16-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Maybe because people who were unable to be at the game might just be interested in who the fans who were there thought played well and who didn't play well? I only get to occasional away games so always look forward to these threads.

Why do you always put it better than me.

Elite_Pie
16-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Why do you always put it better than me.

I put it down to age.

maddogslater
16-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Why don't you fcuk off. ****.
I was searching for the words to reply to why....you put it excellently.

freemuzzy
16-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Think the original ratings are v harsh on Hemmings, who IMO looked very sharp and occupied the two CBs well, but unfortunately fed off scraps for the 90 mins.

The midfield was what cost us a win today and that was where the poor individual performances came. Not only did we have an extra man in there, but one of their two was Jordan Cranston - a left back who we let go three years ago. But all five underperformed and the three central were poor with and without the ball.

Ardley should take some blame in this regard. His initial selection was logical - keeping the same system/available personnel that did so well on Tuesday - but he failed to adapt in any way from then or inject any urgency to push for the win we desperately needed. Why persevere with 3 under-performing defensive midfielders for so long? He could’ve pushed Alessandra central or put Patching on earlier if he wanted to keep the 3, which may have just given us a shred of creativity and support for Hemmings we were clearly lacking. Failing that, put an extra striker on alongside him (before the 85th minute).

Schofield - 6 - One ok save, not a lot to do. Still causes panic with nothing balls by staying glued to his line. Kicking largely terrible. Don’t understand the clamour to get him to play next week - really don’t see a lot of difference in overall standard between him & Fitzsimons.

Tootle - 7 - Did well having had so long without a game. Strong in the tackle and a supportive presence going forward. Would keep him in.

Stubbs - 8.5* - Pretty faultless in all aspects. Aerially dominant, positionally good and smart use of the ball throughout. Looked far more comfortable alongside a senior partner.

Duffy - 8 - Know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s frustrating he’s been out of the squad while Ardley persevered with a very youthful triangle of loanees that was patently never going to work long-term. The organiser we needed at the back. Whatever you think of him, our defence looks far more secure with him in it. Barely put a foot wrong.

Milsom - 7 - MOTM award was a bit strong but was very good defensively throughout. Smart move switching him to left back; has solved a problem position.

Boldewijn - 5 - Takes unfair stick at times but should’ve done better with our one clear cut chance and passed-up opportunities to run at the LB and a 40 year old (?) Kevin Ellison. We need to make use of him but he himself could do more. Did put in a shift and a couple of good tackles defensively, so can’t be accused of a lack of effort.

Vaughan - 5 - Generally think he gets a harsh deal from our fans but hard to defend him today. Positive is he created our one real chance but equally didn’t impact the game overall and just wasn’t good/creative enough on the ball, which is what you expect from him. Like all the midfielders wanted an extra touch when it wasn’t needed, which was a big factor in us not creating much.

Doyle - 5.5 - Marginally better than Vaughan but hasn’t really delivered since his first couple of games. Has time caught up with him? Set-pieces are repeatedly terrible and it’s baffling no-ones thought to take him off them.

Rose - 5 - Strong in the tackle but lacked quality on the ball and lucky to be left on for the 90.

Alessandra - 5 - Another who was guilty of taking too many touches. Would’ve tried him central just to see if it would give us any more creativity. Lost and not in the game on the wing.

Hemmings - 7 - Looked on it, occupying the centre backs, winning his share of headers and bringing down balls he had no real right to - so it’s a real shame he didn’t have even a half chance in the entire match. Movement was good too but desperately needed some support.

CMS - 5 - Poor, didn’t really improve things.

Patching - 7 - Didn’t waste a pass. Should’ve been tried earlier and been allowed to take set-pieces when he was on ahead of Doyle.

Elite_Pie
16-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Scholfield 6 - kicking not the best, did make one good save from a deflected shot.
Tootle 6 - still not the Tootle of last season, but did ok.
Stubbs 7 - didn't do much wrong, looks a good player in the making.
Duffy 7* - I know Duffy has his critics, but his reading of the game makes him our best option in central defence.
Milson 7 - looked solid, he has made the left back position his own.
Enzio 5.5 - can't fault him for effort, but we struggled to get him involved in the game and he missed by far our best chance.
Rose 6 - did a decent job in stopping them build attacks.
Alles 4.5 - had the first touch of an elephant and still can't beat a man.
Vaughan 5 - I though passing was supposed to be his plus point? He struggled to do even the simple stuff.
Doyle 6 - always made himself available for a pass, but his set pieces were poor.
Hemmings 6.5 - did as much as could be expected as he was often left isolated up front.

Mackail-Smith 5 - I was hoping he would be brought on, but not his best day.
Patching 6.5 - some good moments in the short time he was on.

A dull game which neither side did enough to win. I suppose we are a point closer to Yeovil, but we have to be far more creative if we want to stay up. The most disappointing thing is that in the last 20 minutes we struggled to get out of our own half. A final word on Kevin Ellison. Even though he got a bit of abuse from the home stands, he was still going strong at the end of the game. He is past 40, but people claim we have players a few years younger who can't manage two games in a week!

navypie
16-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Think the original ratings are v harsh on Hemmings, who IMO looked very sharp and occupied the two CBs well, but unfortunately fed off scraps for the 90 mins.

The midfield was what cost us a win today and that was where the poor individual performances came. Not only did we have an extra man in there, but one of their two was Jordan Cranston - a left back who we let go three years ago. But all five underperformed and the three central were poor with and without the ball.

Ardley should take some blame in this regard. His initial selection was logical - keeping the same system/available personnel that did so well on Tuesday - but he failed to adapt in any way from then or inject any urgency to push for the win we desperately needed. Why persevere with 3 under-performing defensive midfielders for so long? He could’ve pushed Alessandra central or put Patching on earlier if he wanted to keep the 3, which may have just given us a shred of creativity and support for Hemmings we were clearly lacking. Failing that, put an extra striker on alongside him (before the 85th minute).

Schofield - 6 - One ok save, not a lot to do. Still causes panic with nothing balls by staying glued to his line. Kicking largely terrible. Don’t understand the clamour to get him to play next week - really don’t see a lot of difference in overall standard between him & Fitzsimons.

Tootle - 7 - Did well having had so long without a game. Strong in the tackle and a supportive presence going forward. Would keep him in.

Stubbs - 8.5* - Pretty faultless in all aspects. Aerially dominant, positionally good and smart use of the ball throughout. Looked far more comfortable alongside a senior partner.

Duffy - 8 - Know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s frustrating he’s been out of the squad while Ardley persevered with a very youthful triangle of loanees that was patently never going to work long-term. The organiser we needed at the back. Whatever you think of him, our defence looks far more secure with him in it. Barely put a foot wrong.

Milsom - 7 - MOTM award was a bit strong but was very good defensively throughout. Smart move switching him to left back; has solved a problem position.

Boldewijn - 5 - Takes unfair stick at times but should’ve done better with our one clear cut chance and passed-up opportunities to run at the LB and a 40 year old (?) Kevin Ellison. We need to make use of him but he himself could do more. Did put in a shift and a couple of good tackles defensively, so can’t be accused of a lack of effort.

Vaughan - 5 - Generally think he gets a harsh deal from our fans but hard to defend him today. Positive is he created our one real chance but equally didn’t impact the game overall and just wasn’t good/creative enough on the ball, which is what you expect from him. Like all the midfielders wanted an extra touch when it wasn’t needed, which was a big factor in us not creating much.

Doyle - 5.5 - Marginally better than Vaughan but hasn’t really delivered since his first couple of games. Has time caught up with him? Set-pieces are repeatedly terrible and it’s baffling no-ones thought to take him off them.

Rose - 5 - Strong in the tackle but lacked quality on the ball and lucky to be left on for the 90.

Alessandra - 5 - Another who was guilty of taking too many touches. Would’ve tried him central just to see if it would give us any more creativity. Lost and not in the game on the wing.

Hemmings - 7 - Looked on it, occupying the centre backs, winning his share of headers and bringing down balls he had no real right to - so it’s a real shame he didn’t have even a half chance in the entire match. Movement was good too but desperately needed some support.

CMS - 5 - Poor, didn’t really improve things.

Patching - 7 - Didn’t waste a pass. Should’ve been tried earlier and been allowed to take set-pieces when he was on ahead of Doyle.

Spot on about Doyle, his set pieces are terrible. Enzio takes " unfair stick" . I think it's justified

Bohinen
16-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Alles 4.5 - had the first touch of an elephant and still can't beat a man.

That's always been my opinion of him when I've seen him. When he broke free on his own against Carlisle with no keeper in the goal, I still thought he would miss, even thought I was watching the highlights and knew he had scored.

Given that the defence is now sorted and Hemmings is starting to play to League 2 standard, all we need is a few tweaks. Dumping Alles seems to be one of them, scapegoat or not.

queenslandpie
16-03-2019, 10:13 PM
That's always been my opinion of him when I've seen him. When he broke free on his own against Carlisle with no keeper in the goal, I still thought he would miss, even thought I was watching the highlights and knew he had scored.

Given that the defence is now sorted and Hemmings is starting to play to League 2 standard, all we need is a few tweaks. Dumping Alles seems to be one of them, scapegoat or not.

Just a shame its taken nearly 40 games to get to that point and almost certainly resulting in our relegation hey?!

I echo Elites points earlier. I like to see these threads to see what kind of dross has been served up. I still cant understand why almost every single player who comes to Notts that is a big note signing turns out to be dross the latest being Doyle. Is there some kind of talent sapping curse on Meadow Lane? Since Munto name me one big note signing that has lived up to expectations other than perhaps Shola but he was ancient anyway.

navypie
16-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Just a shame its taken nearly 40 games to get to that point and almost certainly resulting in our relegation hey?!

I echo Elites points earlier. I like to see these threads to see what kind of dross has been served up. I still cant understand why almost every single player who comes to Notts that is a big note signing turns out to be dross the latest being Doyle. Is there some kind of talent sapping curse on Meadow Lane? Since Munto name me one big note signing that has lived up to expectations other than perhaps Shola but he was ancient anyway.

I wouldn't say Doyle is "dross" but I think Notts fans should reword that song.

Bohinen
16-03-2019, 10:21 PM

Well, yes, but there are still straws to be clutched at.

I can't name that player because I believe Munto were the best recruiters of players we've had since the Pavis days, even if they were using fake money. Mind you, given that Trew and Hardy didn't really have any cash, so were they.

Robertomac
16-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Schofield 6 - Did ok, but I really don't think he's any improvement on Fitz. If we were dropping Fitz, it should have been for a commanding, dominant goalkeeper, not Fitz 2.0.
Tootle 6 - Not good, not bad. Lacking fitness and a shadow of last year's right back.
Stubbs 7.5 - Battled well, looks solid.
Duffy 7.5 - I've been one of his biggest critics, but it's been refreshing to have him back and his experience is essential.
Milsom 8 - My MOTM. Been a revelation at left back.
Enzio 6 - Did he not do enough, or did we not get the ball to him enough? The latter for me. He's our danger man if we use him properly.
Rose 6.5 - Thought he started the first half like a trooper, but faded in the second.
Aless 5 - As I accused Hemmings of being recently, Aless has started playing it safe. Didn't do a lot wrong, but afraid to have a go at actually doing anything. Too many sideways and backwards passes - you're a forward, attack the goal!!!
Vaughan 6 - Did ok first half, touch and passing ability started to depart him more and more as the game went on.
Doyle 5.5 - Tries hard, but was largely ineffective. Set pieces are shocking - I thought we'd hit rock bottom when Hewitt was taking them...
Hemmings 7 - Great touches, worked hard, but generally had terrible service. Why, oh why, when he is the last line are we playing it to him to flick on? When played into danger areas at his feet, you can see the quality of his touch and what he can do.

Mackail-Smith 4 - I was pleased to see him come on, but had a stinker when he did, epitomised by the left foot shank into the Kop advertising boards under no pressure.
Patching 6 - Looked willing, which is something I've not seen from him before.

The lack of creativity is a massive concern. In my opinion, we have some quality players but are just not playing it to their strengths. Get the ball up to Hemmings feet. Knock it wide for Enzio's feet. The reason we don't do better is we have a tendency to hold the ball up, rather than drive forwards using pace. Increase the tempo and put the other team on the back foot, rather than letting them settle.

Elite_Pie
16-03-2019, 10:47 PM
The reason we don't do better is we have a tendency to hold the ball up, rather than drive forwards using pace. Increase the tempo and put the other team on the back foot, rather than letting them settle.

I said something similar at the game. Our build up play was again painfully slow and allowed them time to get back and make sure all our forwards were marked. Far to often this season we have given the ball away when attacking, and the opposition make two or three quick passes and are in on our goal. We just don't seem capable of attacking at speed.

Robertomac
16-03-2019, 10:51 PM
I said something similar at the game. Our build up play was again painfully slow and allowed them time to get back and make sure all our forwards were marked. Far to often this season we have given the ball away when attacking, and the opposition make two or three quick passes and are in on our goal. We just don't seem capable of attacking at speed.

I wonder if it's a confidence issue whereby no one wants to make a mistake or give the ball or away. We've got pace in the team, but we're reluctant to use it to to its potential.

I find it very frustrating to watch when we play the ball up quickly to the half way line, then someone drops their shoulder, turns back towards their own goal and plays the ball backwards, allowing the opposition the time to reorganise and get back in position.

navypie
16-03-2019, 11:12 PM
I wonder if it's a confidence issue whereby no one wants to make a mistake or give the ball or away. We've got pace in the team, but we're reluctant to use it to to its potential.

I find it very frustrating to watch when we play the ball up quickly to the half way line, then someone drops their shoulder, turns back towards their own goal and plays the ball backwards, allowing the opposition the time to reorganise and get back in position.

You and Elite are a match made in heaven.

Elite_Pie
16-03-2019, 11:22 PM
You and Elite are a match made in heaven.

You and a dog turd are likewise.

navypie
16-03-2019, 11:27 PM
You and a dog turd are likewise.

That's something I would expect a kid to say.

LaxtonLad
17-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Neal Ardley said in his post match interliew that the "...the boys gave it everything they had." Really? Everything? How come they gave much more against Carlisle? Ardley's idea of "everything" seems very arbitrary and not to everyone's standard. Everything would seem to mean they can't give or do better than that - goalless at home against cannon fodder.

Seven times this season they have given everything and won, nine**** times they haven't and lost by what seemed to be a regular three goals against. Too many times this season we have obviously not given anything anywhere near everything. If the players who gave everything yesterday think they gave their all then they must admit to themselves they are not good enough for League 2 football.

LaxtonLad
17-03-2019, 08:48 AM

Exactly, EP. We break up their attack and have the ball in our possession and the opposition are out of position but our defender with the ball either hopefully lobs it forward or waits while the other team's defence is back in place. Here we go again, having to try to get through ten of their players before seeing the whites of their goalie's eyes, and we ain't going nowhere.

MAD_MAGPIE
17-03-2019, 09:17 AM
“Why”

These ratings threads are good. You may have given up, but some of us haven’t.

Remember we are only 3 points from safety with 8 games left.

BanjoPie
17-03-2019, 09:53 AM
“When”

keldsyke
17-03-2019, 10:29 AM
“When”

You really are the board idiot / troll who contributes nothing to the club or board. You post/ act like a adolescent ****ager, try appreciating that some of us go to matches and see what’s really going on. As Mad Magpie says we are 3 points from safety with 8 games to go, grow up or go.

i961pie
17-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Neal Ardley said in his post match interliew that the "...the boys gave it everything they had." Really? Everything? How come they gave much more against Carlisle? Ardley's idea of "everything" seems very arbitrary and not to everyone's standard. Everything would seem to mean they can't give or do better than that - goalless at home against cannon fodder.

Seven times this season they have given everything and won, nine**** times they haven't and lost by what seemed to be a regular three goals against. Too many times this season we have obviously not given anything anywhere near everything. If the players who gave everything yesterday think they gave their all then they must admit to themselves they are not good enough for League 2 football.

Just because things don't come off or players have off days doesn't mean they aren't trying.
Morecambe are on a decent run to them we were the Cannon fodder.

Ben the Pie
17-03-2019, 10:59 AM
It's really useful to me having you people that were there give ratings and opinions so thanks for taking the time and effort. I'm in the 'believe we can do this' camp so forgive the blind optimism...but Duff man coming back in and playing 3 in midfield seems to have shored things up defensively, the only goal we've conceded with Duff back was the cheesy theft goal at Carlisle. Stubbs sounded pretty commanding on the radio yesterday - won a lot/all his headers - if we don't concede we won't lose.
However the goals is the next issue to sort!
Had Enzio taken his chance we'd have ground out a 1-0 against a side on a good run and been happy but we have to create more...I think we all agree.
But with Jim out - a big loss imo - I'll take the point, the closing of the gap and we go again next week against Exeter.

jackal2
17-03-2019, 11:40 AM
I pretty much agree with the OP's ratings. I called Rob Milsom as MOTM before the announcer made it official, because he had a very hard-working and solid game at left-back, but I agree that there wasn't very much separating him from Duffy and Stubbs.

The game was a very poor spectacle and a missed opportunity to reduce the gap to safety to one point, but on a positive note we've still moved a point closer to Yeovil (albeit 4 points with the goal difference) and we're looking much more solid defensively. In fact, the team as it is set up now looks far more capable of going away from home and getting a win, where our attacking players might have more space to work in. Morecambe came for a draw yesterday and they got it, because Enzio fluffed his big chance, but at least we took something from the game.

LaxtonLad
17-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Just because things don't come off or players have off days doesn't mean they aren't trying.
Morecambe are on a decent run to them we were the Cannon fodder.

Too many off days, i961pie. My point about them not being good enough was about their ability to play League 2 football compared with other average players. Notts players aren't all cr@p nor the worst in our league, but if they are trying, they aren't good enough, if they aren't trying then they aren't giving everything. You're right about us being the cannon fodder though, there are no teams easier to beat than Notts County.

optipez
17-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Schofield 6. He did nothing wrong in all fairness to him but he doesn't inspire confidence because he doesn't command the box.

Tootle 6.5 Good solid return to the team.

Milsom 8. Joint MOTM. Attacked down the line, defended well, gave it his all.

Duffy 7. I'm no big fan of Duffy but he played well yesterday and clearly helped the defence as a unit and Stubbs in particular.

Stubbs 8. Joint MOTM. Won everything in the air, as good a centre half performance as I've seen from any of our centre halves all season.

Boudwijn. 5.5 No doubt he worked, tracking back and he had our best chance but overall it was a bit part performance.

Vaughan 4.5 Played on the right for some bizarre reason, had to turn inside every time to get his angles right for his left foot. Backwards, sideways and quite a few misplaced passes. He did set Enzio up but not enough from him.

Doyle 5. Moderate set pieces, clearly a man at the fag end of his career , like Vaughan not enough dynamism to influence the game.

Rose 5.5 Right footed played on the left. No idea why he and Vaughan weren't swapped for both their benefits. He got through the work without looking very good.

Allessandra 5.5 Like the rest of the midfield bit of a nothing game.

Hemmings 7. Led the line well, looked lively but being more of less the lone striker with a non supporting geriatric midfield behind him he was up against it.

Subs.
Not on long, like for like nothing changed.

Two points dropped. Massive six pointer where we managed one effort on goal worth the name. Morecambe might be in some form but they, like us were no great shakes.
Not enough from a game I think we had to win, I left the ground feeling that was another nail in the coffin rather than a point on the way to survival. A real shame after Carlisle.

jackal2
17-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Vaughan 4.5 Played on the right for some bizarre reason, had to turn inside every time to get his angles right for his left foot. Backwards, sideways and quite a few misplaced passes. He did set Enzio up but not enough from him.

If reports are true that Vaughan is on £5,000 a week, or anything close, then he's making mugs of us.

As you say, he played lots of safe passes which no doubt make his OPTA stats looks OK, but for that money you're looking for your midfielder to take some risks and play the incisive balls that can create chances. The only incisive ball he played was the obvious one to Boldewijn for our best chance, but it came from a Morecambe mistake and anyone in Vaughan's position could have played the same ball.

Vaughan reminds me of Gary Owers, Mark Fotheringham and Ian Hamilton in past years, by which I mean experienced pros who effectively cheat their way through the game by getting a fair few touches in non-threatening positions and then playing a five yard pass, transferring the responsibility to show any ingenuity or take any risks to someone else.

maddogslater
17-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Too many off days, i961pie. My point about them not being good enough was about their ability to play League 2 football compared with other average players. Notts players aren't all cr@p nor the worst in our league, but if they are trying, they aren't good enough, if they aren't trying then they aren't giving everything. You're right about us being the cannon fodder though, there are no teams easier to beat than Notts County.

I would say Yeovil are. Enzio steams onto the pass and has to decelerate fast in order to get a shot off so really has little control over his shot, a whisker away from a win over a dogged side.

nw6pie
17-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Given that Ardley didn’t make a change until the 71st minute and only used two subs, you’d have to assume he was relatively happy with the way the game was going - more concerned about not losing than actually winning. Given that Macclesfield were 2-0 up at Yeovil at half-time, I’d hoped this would spur the team on - but sadly not. We got worse as the game went on.

I’m trying to think of how many goals anyone other than an attacker has scored for us this season - and I’m struggling. O’Brien against FGR; Jones against Colchester; Ward against Port Vale; Hewitt against Carlisle; Milsom and Hewitt against Crewe; Kellett against Lincoln; Duffy against Cambridge. Eight goals - is that really it? And from just a handful from defenders? Shows how we pose zero threat from set-pieces (unless we have a gale blowing in our favor, like at Carlisle).

It also shows how much we’ve missed Jorge Grant’s goals in these “nothing games” where one chance or decent set-piece can win you the three points.

LaxtonLad
17-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Given that Ardley didn’t make a change until the 71st minute and only used two subs, you’d have to assume he was relatively happy with the way the game was going - more concerned about not losing than actually winning. Given that Macclesfield were 2-0 up at Yeovil at half-time, I’d hoped this would spur the team on - but sadly not. We got worse as the game went on.

I’m trying to think of how many goals anyone other than an attacker has scored for us this season - and I’m struggling. O’Brien against FGR; Jones against Colchester; Ward against Port Vale; Hewitt against Carlisle; Milsom and Hewitt against Crewe; Kellett against Lincoln; Duffy against Cambridge. Eight goals - is that really it? And from just a handful from defenders? Shows how we pose zero threat from set-pieces (unless we have a gale blowing in our favor, like at Carlisle).

It also shows how much we’ve missed Jorge Grant’s goals in these “nothing games” where one chance or decent set-piece can win you the three points.

Ardley's post match comments appear to show he was happy with the one point but disappointed we didn't get three. Seeing as how we only had one shot on goal, and that was from an error by a Morecambe player, he's more easily pleased than I am.

You're right about non-scoring midfielders, eight goals is just not good enough and to me it shows they are not getting forward enough to either score or interrupt play or supply the incisive short pass to someone who can, and if they miss the shot, be there to boot in the rebound.

Jorge Grant did supply us with some very valuable points but to be fair, some games you wouldn't know he was playing. Still, I would have him back.

Pies4u
18-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Arguably, given the toothless and disjointed display, some of the ratings so far are a tad high in a few cases.

Hemmings, despite being isolated most of the game, showed good control, plenty of energy and distributed the ball accurately. Milsom was composed and neat on the ball, made some robust tackles and looked comfortable all game. The central defenders were solid enough and did their job effectively. The rest were very poor to mediocre at best. Overall, it was desperately poor stuff.

As for Boldewijn - that is 11 times I've seen him now. In that time I've seen him have about 6 efforts on goal, scoring once & rarely use his pace or actually beat a man. I may just have been unlucky but he has done nothing to justify all the hype and praise he seems to receive. On the evidence that I've seen: He doesn't drive into the box, he doesn't create mayhem among defenders very often, he is easy to mark because he is too static and furthermore he provides little or no defensive cover - often he is the last man (or last but one) beaten before opponents get a shot in on goal. It is only a handful of people on this board who seem to rate him at all. Virtually everybody I talk to and those who sit around me share the same view - he may be talented & have a turn of pace but he doesn't utilise either his skill or his pace often enough, so he is ineffective & unproductive most of the time. Vaughan and Doyle kept encouraging him to go wide & make himself available for the ball on Sat but he wandered around aimlessly for the most part.

He seems to have the odd moment in a game - but only once in 5 or 6 games! Several people on here seemed to think that his return from injury would signal some dramatic improvement in our fortunes, I (like Navy) was not among them. Also, rather like Navy, I would say this bloke is probably the most over rated player in the team. I'd also the question the definition used by those who have said that he "worked hard". He did not "work hard" on Saturday, he was completely anonymous bar missing the best opportunity of the game! Hemmings "worked hard", CMS "worked hard" when he came on too.

The reality is, as Elite says, we don't have anyone better so he is a fixture - although starting with a fit CMS would have been an improvement on Saturday without a doubt. Boldewijn need to deliver far more in the last 8 games if we are to have nay chance of surviving.

DelroyFacey22
18-03-2019, 04:21 PM
You missed the multiple times he tracked back to win tackles and won throw ins by closing defenders down then I take it? You also missed him drill the ball straight across the goal mouth in the first half that should have resulted in a goal?

When Hemmings wasn't in the team he was responsible for the majority of our goals, he's not over rated, he's under used imo, Kewell had the right idea when he was here, when you have someone that is clearly the best player at the club you move others around to make way for him to flourish, hence that "famous" Duffy substitution... He's far better when he plays on the left and cuts inside, that's been said for most of the season but for some reason Ardley wouldn't switch him with Allessandra, who has not and never will be a winger no matter how many managers try and play him there.

navypie
18-03-2019, 04:32 PM
You missed the multiple times he tracked back to win tackles and won throw ins by closing defenders down then I take it? You also missed him drill the ball straight across the goal mouth in the first half that should have resulted in a goal?

When Hemmings wasn't in the team he was responsible for the majority of our goals, he's not over rated, he's under used imo, Kewell had the right idea when he was here, when you have someone that is clearly the best player at the club you move others around to make way for him to flourish, hence that "famous" Duffy substitution... He's far better when he plays on the left and cuts inside, that's been said for most of the season but for some reason Ardley wouldn't switch him with Allessandra, who has not and never will be a winger no matter how many managers try and play him there.

You are right, I did miss all those things.I must spend far too time on the toilet these days.

Henrygeame
20-03-2019, 07:01 PM
I wondering this exact thing the other day, the ladder match has become tradition

BanjoPie
20-03-2019, 08:23 PM
You really are the board idiot / troll who contributes nothing to the club or board. You post/ act like a adolescent ****ager, try appreciating that some of us go to matches and see what’s really going on. As Mad Magpie says we are 3 points from safety with 8 games to go, grow up or go.

'When' - will certain people stop posting pointless threads

Message for you Kelds dyke, I have attended more Notts matches than I care to remember going back to 1965. I will say whatever I feel I want to say on this forum so stick that in your pipe and smoke it - "you arse-ache baffoon"

keldsyke
20-03-2019, 08:40 PM
'When' - will certain people stop posting pointless threads

Message for you Kelds dyke, I have attended more Notts matches than I care to remember going back to 1965. I will say whatever I feel I want to say on this forum so stick that in your pipe and smoke it - "you arse-ache baffoon"

Unfortunately you make yourself look like the boards resident village idiot ,unfortunately you are so out of touch, try getting off your backside and seeing what’s happening in reality down the lane, or post something worth reading.

BanjoPie
20-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately you make yourself look like the boards resident village idiot ,unfortunately you are so out of touch, try getting off your backside and seeing what’s happening in reality down the lane, or post something worth reading.

I've done my bit over the last 59 years - I shall now just continue to sit here in the sunny Algarve with a cold beer and won't be think of idiots like you - but I will be rooting for Notts as I do every match - you really are far too easy to wind up - "Get a life man"

SwalePie
20-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Can you two please agree to disagree, apologise for the insults to each other and metaphorically shake hands as fellow Pies?

BanjoPie
21-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Can you two please agree to disagree, apologise for the insults to each other and metaphorically shake hands as fellow Pies?

To be fair Swale, kelsdyke started the insults so he can apologise first.