View Full Version : The Missing Piece of the jigsaw?

MancMagpie
25-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Would it be fair to say that we are missing a physical, 6 foot 5 centre forward who can bully defenders (like that guy from Newport)a proper 'number 9'. We put so many balls in to the box on Saturday with no outcome. Or would we have been best off keeping Dennis as more of a 'fox in the box?'.

In league 2, you need one or the other, probably the big bully to be fair. Our strikers seem to be more like number 10's than number 9's.

legs77
25-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Would it be fair to say that we are missing a physical, 6 foot 5 centre forward who can bully defenders (like that guy from Newport)a proper 'number 9'. We put so many balls in to the box on Saturday with no outcome. Or would we have been best off keeping Dennis as more of a 'fox in the box?'.

In league 2, you need one or the other, probably the big bully to be fair. Our strikers seem to be more like number 10's than number 9's.

Totally agree Akinde was the man we should have gone for and im not alone in saying this it was rumoured Jan 2018 we were after him.

Id say we also needed strong midfielders we have a few now but its too late.

Elite_Pie
25-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Our strikers seem to be more like number 10's than number 9's.

To be fair, our strikers seem to be more like number 2s.

And I'm not talking right backs.

Chicken Balti Pie
25-03-2019, 07:24 PM

We need both to be fair. Apparently the reason Ardley let Dennis go was because he said he needs a target man along side and we couldn't get one

BanjoPie
25-03-2019, 07:27 PM
If by some miracle we signed both Ronaldo & Messi, they would be 'crap' after a few matches - guaranteed

Elite_Pie
25-03-2019, 07:28 PM
If by some miracle we signed both Ronaldo & Messi, they would be 'crap' after a few matches - guaranteed

Nice pun on my 'Number 2' theory Banjo.

BanjoPie
25-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Nice pun on my 'Number 2' theory Banjo.

;)

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
25-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Yes we did need that type and still do.
That is why Ardley made James Hanson his number one target in the January transfer window, he knows him really well, the lad is 6’4” so is a perfect fit as a target man, Ardley went to watch him play for Wimbledon on 2/3 occasions to make sure he was match fit ! He had talks and made him a very good offer ......James Hanson turned us down flat, he wasn’t interested in coming to the club in our position !

navypie
25-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Yeah, they have all been sh1te. Dare I say, even Enzio.

drillerpie
25-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Totally agree Akinde was the man we should have gone for and im not alone in saying this it was rumoured Jan 2018 we were after him.

Id say we also needed strong midfielders we have a few now but its too late.

Strangely enough Lincoln fans aren't very pleased with Akinde, he scores a lot of penalties but not much from open play. Anyway yes he's big, strong and mobile and would have made a massive difference to this team.

Jayden Stockley always struck me as a great target man, not as powerful as Akinde but maybe a better footballer.

The frustrating thing is that if we had a player like that we could make the breakthrough then really hurt teams on the counter, but unless we can convert a defender or even pick up an out of contract target man we'll never know.

nw6pie
25-03-2019, 07:58 PM
We have had so many jigsaw pieces this season, but have been unable to solve the puzzle.

I picked a game at random to compare the starting XI to Saturday's against Exeter, and was amazed to see that there was only one player who played in both games, Milsom - and he was in a different position.

Team against Carlisle on November 27:
Fitzsimons, Davies, Turley, Ward, Jones, Patching, Hewitt, Milsom, Thomas, Husin, Dennis

And Saturday's team:
Schofield, Tootle, Stubbs, Duffy, Milsom, O'Brien, Rose, Doyle, Stead, Hewitt, Boldewijn

I struggled to remember who Davies even was - and still can't remember his first name (begins with H maybe?).

Is that a record for a Notts team? Almost an entire new team in the space of just 4 months midway through the season.

Bohinen
25-03-2019, 08:06 PM
We're missing the picture too, and the people trying to solve the puzzle are border-line cretins.

countygump
25-03-2019, 08:11 PM
We're missing the picture too, and the people trying to solve the puzzle are border-line cretins.

We're missing half the jigsaw, the box with the picture on and a table to solve it on. Also the finished picture is a pile of horse chit.

Pies4u
25-03-2019, 08:14 PM
We have had so many jigsaw pieces this season, but have been unable to solve the puzzle.

I picked a game at random to compare the starting XI to Saturday's against Exeter, and was amazed to see that there was only one player who played in both games, Milsom - and he was in a different position.

Fitzsimons, Davies, Turley, Ward, Jones, Patching, Hewitt, Milsom, Thomas, Husin, Dennis

And Saturday's team:
Schofield, Tootle, Stubbs, Duffy, Milsom, O'Brien, Rose, Doyle, Stead, Hewitt, Boldewijn

I struggled to remember who Davies even was - and still can't remember his first name (begins with H maybe?).

Is that a record for a Notts team? Almost an entire new team in the space of just 4 months midway through the season.

IT was Keston Davies, was it not? So, "K", I think.

optipez
25-03-2019, 09:44 PM

Yes, it's been the biggest problem all season. We never replaced Shola, this left us vulnerable defending set pieces, ineffective from our own and without his hold up play we didn't hold the ball up leaving 1in 3 strikers Hemmings and Dennis, ( check their stats) in limbo. We haven't been able to break incisively as he had a great touch, occupied two defenders and played others in.
Why none of our three managers haven't signed a big, ideally mobile target man is a complete mystery. We've been in a relegation battle all season and like all relegation teams when we run out of ideas or are desperate for a goal in the last fif**** and start pumping the ball in we've no presence in the box.
Absolutely catastrophic, brainless lack of planning. Add in no centre half cover after Ben Hall got crocked pre season and for me there's the two main reasons for our relegation, yes relegation, no way are we saving ourselves this season, they haven't got it in them.
The cretinous recruitment and utter squandering of a huge budget is such a waste, words fail me.

durhampie
25-03-2019, 10:30 PM

You mean shyte...

durhampie
25-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Strangely enough Lincoln fans aren't very pleased with Akinde, he scores a lot of penalties but not much from open play. Anyway yes he's big, strong and mobile and would have made a massive difference to this team.

Jayden Stockley always struck me as a great target man, not as powerful as Akinde but maybe a better footballer.

The frustrating thing is that if we had a player like that we could make the breakthrough then really hurt teams on the counter, but unless we can convert a defender or even pick up an out of contract target man we'll never know.

You seem to forget that we have "fall on yer ar*e Stead", He is our target man O:) The man to score us the goals and get us out of this mess. On second thoughts He would would struggle to score on forest road...

51Magpie
25-03-2019, 10:45 PM
... the people trying to solve the puzzle are border-line cretins.

Border-line? That's generous.

BigFatPie
25-03-2019, 10:51 PM

And Saturday's team:

We looked like a team of midgets on the opening day against Colchester so how we’ve managed to go through all those players and STILL not find a half decent big bloke to play up front is a mystery.

Not as big a mystery as why Kane Hemmings tried to lay the ball off when he was about 2 yards in front of goal though.

legs77
25-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Yes, it's been the biggest problem all season. We never replaced Shola, this left us vulnerable defending set pieces, ineffective from our own and without his hold up play we didn't hold the ball up leaving 1in 3 strikers Hemmings and Dennis, ( check their stats) in limbo. We haven't been able to break incisively as he had a great touch, occupied two defenders and played others in.
Why none of our three managers haven't signed a big, ideally mobile target man is a complete mystery. We've been in a relegation battle all season and like all relegation teams when we run out of ideas or are desperate for a goal in the last fif**** and start pumping the ball in we've no presence in the box.
Absolutely catastrophic, brainless lack of planning. Add in no centre half cover after Ben Hall got crocked pre season and for me there's the two main reasons for our relegation, yes relegation, no way are we saving ourselves this season, they haven't got it in them.
The cretinous recruitment and utter squandering of a huge budget is such a waste, words fail me.

Only 2 managers have had the chance to bring in the target man as Kewell never got a transfer window he only signed whatever dross was available.

Anyway no good having a target man when the baldie wants us to play like Barcelona I mean he has managed a kids team so it will obviously work in the pro game.

PedroTheFisherman66
26-03-2019, 12:24 AM
You seem to forget that we have "fall on yer ar*e Stead", He is our target man O:) The man to score us the goals and get us out of this mess. On second thoughts He would would struggle to score on forest road...

HK has sussed this one out and what thanks did he get for trying to change it !????

queenslandpie
26-03-2019, 02:51 AM
We need both to be fair. Apparently the reason Ardley let Dennis go was because he said he needs a target man along side and we couldn't get one

If that is the case then

1. Why the fluck did he sign in the first place?
2. Why the fluck did we sign him in the first place?

Wow

slack_pie
26-03-2019, 05:19 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Dennis played up top on his own for Chesterfield, in a 4-2-3-1 (with Kellet just behind). At least that's how they set up when they battered us at their place last season.

But yeah, we've clearly been crying out for a target man all season. Because of our lack of guile going forward, we inevitably resort to big lumps up field, or patient build up play followed by floated crosses. We never look a threat in the opposition's box.

We never replaced Shola. Nolan failed to, and so did Ardley. I'd put a big bruising centre forward top of the shopping list for next season. Go back to basics.

Astonishing how we've failed to get the very basics right this season.