PDA

View Full Version : Journeyman

sidders
30-04-2019, 05:42 PM
I have had my doubts when supporters on here have expressed the view that some Notts players have underperformed and given far less than 100%. Like most of our fans, I assume that Notts players would give their flat out best at any game. I would and did, wouldn't you?
At the moment I am reading 'Journeyman' by Ben Smith, who started off with the Arse and then went on to Yeovil and Southend via Reading. It's not great writing but it is a fascinating insight into a footballers thinking in the lower levels of league football. Because he's now retired, Ben Smith can afford to be honest about those occasions in which he gave a lot less than 100%, those occasions when he let his fitness slip, those occasions when he had far too much beer and bad food.... how he abused his natural talent.
In short, this book gives you an insight into what may well have been the case this season with a number of our players. It's currently on Amazon for a tenner if you're interested.

jackal2
30-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Ability is only one factor in determining how successful a player will be and how high up the league structure they will play. Vinnie Jones for example had limited ability as a footballer, but his competitive spirit and desire was enormous, sometimes to the point of being reckless and dangerous, but it saw him play the vast majority of his career at the top level, and it has similarly seen him build a successful acting career, again with only a moderate level of raw talent.

Contrast him with, say, Darren Caskey, who was by common consensus a gifted footballer, but whose body shape betrayed a poor level of professionalism and a limited desire to make the best of his ability. As a lower league club, Notts County has seen many a player of this type, who either never had the determination or commitment to make the best of their ability, or who have reached an age where they feel their best years are behind them and are just looking to eek out an extra year or two of decent pay before retiring, and don't really care less whether their team is successful. Football fans DO know when a player is giving their all every week, like for example a certain My Ian Richardson did, and when they aren't.

jscarr
30-04-2019, 06:40 PM
So many players clearly don't give their all, especially for us this season. I don't know how much duedillegence goes on into the players personalities/attitude but it's something the club should take into real consideration in the future.

Elite_Pie
30-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Ability is only one factor in determining how successful a player will be and how high up the league structure they will play. Vinnie Jones for example had limited ability as a footballer, but his competitive spirit and desire was enormous, sometimes to the point of being reckless and dangerous, but it saw him play the vast majority of his career at the top level, and it has similarly seen him build a successful acting career, again with only a moderate level of raw talent.

Contrast him with, say, Darren Caskey, who was by common consensus a gifted footballer, but whose body shape betrayed a poor level of professionalism and a limited desire to make the best of his ability. As a lower league club, Notts County has seen many a player of this type, who either never had the determination or commitment to make the best of their ability, or who have reached an age where they feel their best years are behind them and are just looking to eek out an extra year or two of decent pay before retiring, and don't really care less whether their team is successful. Football fans DO know when a player is giving their all every week, like for example a certain My Ian Richardson did, and when they aren't.

Excellent post jackal. I have been trying to work out the answer as to why we have been so dire this season, but your summary explains at least part of it, and can be summed up in just six words - THE OTHER TEAM HAVE WANTED IT MORE. This squad have managed to play below their capability for most of the 45 games so far, and while it's never been an obvious lack of effort, we've never been prepared to bust a gut to get the three points. Other teams with less ability have. They have put their bodies on the line while we've mostly made a token effort and have accepted being second to the ball.

ps Thanks for the book info sid, I'm looking for some holiday reading and this seems to fit the bill. You ex-teachers must be on a good pension though, because the tenner on Amazon becomes a post-free £5.39 on ebay!

Ben the Pie
30-04-2019, 07:13 PM
I always check abebooks.co.uk, they bring together loads of second hand booksellers, it's on there for £3.30 free postage! Second hand of course, but it's good to re-use!
Excellent post Jackal, I've seen a lot of pretend tackles this season (and you guys have Notts a lot more than me this season) for instance, when you just know a player isn't/hasn't committed to the challenge and what do you know they never win them.

sidders
30-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Excellent post jackal. I have been trying to work out the answer as to why we have been so dire this season, but your summary explains at least part of it, and can be summed up in just six words - THE OTHER TEAM HAVE WANTED IT MORE. This squad have managed to play below their capability for most of the 45 games so far, and while it's never been an obvious lack of effort, we've never been prepared to bust a gut to get the three points. Other teams with less ability have. They have put their bodies on the line while we've mostly made a token effort and have accepted being second to the ball.

ps Thanks for the book info sid, I'm looking for some holiday reading and this seems to fit the bill. You ex-teachers must be on a good pension though, because the tenner on Amazon becomes a post-free £5.39 on ebay!

Actually got mine from a charity shop for well under a fiver!

McCullochisGod
01-05-2019, 03:22 AM

Ah. THE OTHER TEAM WANTED IT MORE. You are now clearly showing your expertise. Which is? ha ha ha

slack_pie
01-05-2019, 05:19 AM

True. One thing I notice most games is that the opposition tend to look fitter, stronger, quicker, and hungrier. In short, they look more like L2 footballers.

Elite_Pie
01-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Ah. THE OTHER TEAM WANTED IT MORE. You are now clearly showing your expertise. Which is? ha ha ha

If you really want to know my fields of expertise, they are mainly in colour physics (practical application rather than theory) and taking money from bookies. My football expertise is limited to Sunday morning division one as a player and 50 years as a spectator. Now let's hear what you have achieved in the game of football to make your opinion more valid.

Before you answer, remember who you're pretending not to be.

queenslandpie
02-05-2019, 08:25 AM
I have had my doubts when supporters on here have expressed the view that some Notts players have underperformed and given far less than 100%. Like most of our fans, I assume that Notts players would give their flat out best at any game. I would and did, wouldn't you?
At the moment I am reading 'Journeyman' by Ben Smith, who started off with the Arse and then went on to Yeovil and Southend via Reading. It's not great writing but it is a fascinating insight into a footballers thinking in the lower levels of league football. Because he's now retired, Ben Smith can afford to be honest about those occasions in which he gave a lot less than 100%, those occasions when he let his fitness slip, those occasions when he had far too much beer and bad food.... how he abused his natural talent.
In short, this book gives you an insight into what may well have been the case this season with a number of our players. It's currently on Amazon for a tenner if you're interested.

Thanks Sid I will give that a go. QP.

ThaiPie
02-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Very interesting post by the OP.
However, I do wonder if the thread gets a bit lazy with the general assumption that Notts County are where they are now because their players were not trying - "THE OTHER TEAM WANTED IT MORE."
This seems very harsh on the Notts County players who were working hard. And does this theory rest on the fact that only Notts County attract (used loosely :) ) such players.
If Notts County has had more than its share of such players, doesn't that point to recruitment issues through the staff and the board?

Elite_Pie
02-05-2019, 02:17 PM
However, I do wonder if the thread gets a bit lazy with the general assumption that Notts County are where they are now because their players were not trying - "THE OTHER TEAM WANTED IT MORE."

Have you watched any games this season? We have been outfought in most of them.

ThaiPie
02-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Have you watched any games this season? We have been outfought in most of them.

Yes

sidders
03-05-2019, 06:06 PM
I am about halfway through this book now and my conviction that it gives a real insight into the situation at Notts is even stronger. Fascinating that Ben Smith was picking up bigger money playing for Weymouth in the Conference South than playing for Hereford in League 2.
Can't recommend it highly enough as being relevant to where Notts are at now.

Elite_Pie
03-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Yes

So what did you see in those wearing the black and white stripes?

Was it a team giving 100% and proud to wear the shirt, or was it a team going through the motions with no more than a token effort?

McCullochisGod
04-05-2019, 01:46 AM
If you really want to know my fields of expertise, they are mainly in colour physics (practical application rather than theory) and taking money from bookies. My football expertise is limited to Sunday morning division one as a player and 50 years as a spectator. Now let's hear what you have achieved in the game of football to make your opinion more valid.

Before you answer, remember who you're pretending not to be.

Pretending not to be? Now we are getting cryptic. And as for taking money off of bookies, I very much doubt if you are Barney Curley.

KintoreMagpie
04-05-2019, 04:42 AM
I have seen Notts play twice in the last few months and I have concluded that we ain't v good. Against PVFC I was taken aback by our lack of creativity and flair. Versus Grimsby I was ready for it. On neither occasion would I honestly say it was not through any lack of effort and indeed perspiration got us the win against GTFC cheered on by amazing supporters. Had the post Jan 2019 transfer team been with us all season there is no doubt in my mind that we would not be in the mess on the field that we find ourselves. Neither in my view would we be pushing for promotion or play off spot. People keep slating NA for his negativity but I think he recognises the team's limitations and would rather try and keep us in games then let our failings being exploited from the start by the opposition.

When this team does not turn up as per Cheltenham and Crewe we come badly unstuck. I hope that today the team does play to the best of their ability and get something from the match for the sake of the travelling fans. Throughout this season there have been performances where our failings combined with our lack of application have been brutally exposed. Please Notts, in this our last league match, do not let this happen today!