PDA

View Full Version : Derry

Gubbie
30-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Seems he's leaving oxford now, are there any good managers at this level? I think we need to stick with ardley give him time and a clean slate

Glad2BeAPie
30-04-2019, 06:44 PM
For him to take us down even further, no thanks and hopefully the new owner will make a change

countygump
30-04-2019, 07:38 PM
For him to take us down even further, no thanks and hopefully the new owner will make a change

i'm hoping the new owners??? will bring there own man in. Someone who has experience in non league and understands tactics, how to attack teams and how to motivate players.

Freeman25
30-04-2019, 08:03 PM
I'd be gutted if Derry came back, he was awful.

If it wasn't for his previous Notts connections he'd be liked about as much as Ardley, nice bloke, ****e manager. He had plenty of time to get us away from the relegation zone with a strong team (sound familiar?) and it went all the way to the last day (sound familiar?), if Ardley repeats the same result and keeps us up on the final day will people remember him anywhere near as fondly as a lot seem to Derry?

Derry then successfully sent us down the next season using three teams worth of players.

them0uf
30-04-2019, 08:12 PM

If it wasn't for his previous Notts connections he'd be liked about as much as Ardley, nice bloke, ****e manager. He had plenty of time to get us away from the relegation zone with a strong team (sound familiar?) and it went all the way to the last day (sound familiar?), if Ardley repeats the same result and keeps us up on the final day will people remember him anywhere near as fondly as a lot seem to Derry?

Derry then successfully sent us down the next season using three teams worth of players.

Could never understand why he was treated with more reverence and patience than Craig Short. Derry was a good player for us, Short was outstanding (I've been watching Notts since 67/68 and I'd have Short and Needham as my first choice CBs in a Notts team of my viewing), Short played 50% more games for us at a higher level. We Derry for a tidy sum, and Short for a British transfer record for a defender and the overall record for a non-top flight club.

Not sure how Short would have done given more time and, although Derry did well initially there was only one place we were going under him.

Freeman25
30-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Short looked woefully out of his depth from the get go imo, people give him the excuse of "being promised an experienced director of football" usually when they mention his failure but then the opposite happens with Derry and they often blame the experienced coach he had alongside him (Abbott) when they want to give him credit.

Then we get a very experienced and well respected guy in as Director of Football this season and people just moan about because they're not given up to date reports on what he does from 9-5 XD

McCullochisGod
01-05-2019, 03:12 AM

Ditto....Out of his depth. Only given the job because Warnock got in DP's ear IMO as with Short and Curle.

slack_pie
01-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Short looked woefully out of his depth from the get go imo, people give him the excuse of "being promised an experienced director of football" usually when they mention his failure but then the opposite happens with Derry and they often blame the experienced coach he had alongside him (Abbott) when they want to give him credit.

Then we get a very experienced and well respected guy in as Director of Football this season and people just moan about because they're not given up to date reports on what he does from 9-5 XD

Short was a crazy decision at what was a pivotal moment in our history. We had a good enough team to kick on for another promotion, and all we needed were 2 or 3 strong additions. Instead, we ended up with John Spicer and Ben Burgess - and the rest is history.

The last 10 years or so have just been a catalogue of awful decisions. No wonder we are where we are.

LaxtonLad
01-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Wasn't Moniz the manager who "sent us down"?

Old_pie
01-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Wasn't Moniz the manager who "sent us down"?

The damage was done by the time Moniz joined with 5 games left. Draw expert Paul Hart had the opportunity to make his mark and save the season.

jscarr
01-05-2019, 10:07 AM
He didn't do very much at Cambridge either, I doubt he'd be able to get another managers job in league football.

Big Bob
01-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Seems he's leaving oxford now, are there any good managers at this level? I think we need to stick with ardley give him time and a clean slate
No thank you. Time to wipe the slate clean of all the sh1t staff and players

nottscol
01-05-2019, 10:16 AM
He has lots of young female followers. They're known as Derry Girls!

upthemaggies
01-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Short was a crazy decision at what was a pivotal moment in our history. We had a good enough team to kick on for another promotion, and all we needed were 2 or 3 strong additions. Instead, we ended up with John Spicer and Ben Burgess - and the rest is history.

It would have been Ince from August if it hadn't have been Short, although I do think Ince might have done better had he been in charge from the start. The distraction of the FA cup run and playing Man City twice was a major factor in that appalling run we went on, but his treatment of Jon Thompson and love of the golf course wouldn't have been any different.

With Short, I think Trew was still hoping to get Hoddle on board as a DOF, but if that was the case then he should have made sure Hoddle was on board before throwing Short into the deep end.

Derry as manager of a 5th tier Notts with decent support from the board might not be such a crazy idea (Remember he had to deal with AT and Branston, which couldn't have been easy) but if he didn't get off to a good start in a 2nd stint, patience would soon wear very thin on the terraces. Too risky.

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
01-05-2019, 10:58 AM
I think getting Derry back could galvanise the fans, he would make an excellent flag waver in front of the Kop !

Psaw
01-05-2019, 11:15 AM
I was a witness to Derrys time at Cambridge, dont touch it with a bargepole. The football was aimless, pathetic, defending for the sake of it. My main gripe was Derry hinting that he was doing a good job because Cambridge are a small club. Everything was negative.

His mental defence mechanisms were to blame the club, players, injuries, the pitch etc, never himself, he never took responsibility for anything. The tragedy was he sucked the board in, they thought he was great despite the evidence on the pitch being disgusting.

I suspect he is a smooth narcicisst, always right, not me guv. He cannot change or adapt. I am not surprised he is leaving Oxford, wots his name must have cottoned on.