View Full Version : Bidvest or string vest

marshall55
01-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Just a thought for today.

countygump
01-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Just a thought for today.

Must admit, I've heard similar.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/companies/retail-and-consumer/2018-10-24-brian-joffes-long4life-has-invested-half-of-its-war-chest/

marshall55
01-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Gathering pace now, expect a breaking news clip from scoop soon.

SwalePie
01-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Gathering pace now, expect a breaking news clip from scoop soon.

Is this based on inside info marshall55?

marshall55
01-05-2019, 11:47 AM
It`s got some substance from people i respect, let us wait and see.

Woodypie
01-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Just a thought for today. Will we be Bidvest Stripes?

GranthamPie
01-05-2019, 11:59 AM
I thought it was going to be announced last week?

Here comes the cavalry... ooppps, too late.

Elite_Pie
01-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Will we be Bidvest Stripes?

Is there a previous link, are these the company with the 3663 logo we had on our 150th year shirt when they kindly allowed us to replace the red bit of the logo with gold?

marshall55
01-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Bidvest purchased that company, yes.

irishpete
01-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Charted Accountant??? Mate of RT? ;):confused:

Gubbie
01-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Where is it gathering pace i see nothing anywhere about them and notts

TheNottinghamMan
01-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Brian Joffe 👊

upthemaggies
01-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Brian Joffe 👊

November 2014......
Mr Joffe, founder and chief executive of Bidvest, one of South Africa’s most successful conglomerates and the country’s second largest group by revenue, is a football fan. Bidvest sponsors Sunderland, another English premier league team, and Mr Joffe is a director of Bidvest Wits, a top South African team affiliated to his alma mater, Wi****ersrand university.

Amsterdan1
01-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Interesting quote from Brian Joffe relating to the football team they own in SA. All the more interesting considering Bidvest's largest interest is the food sector in the UK:
"The football team has no financial basis to survive in Bidvest but I think it’s a real piece of motivation because motivation and incentivisation – they fit very closely together and I see that this being a very important part of incentivisation."

60YearsAPie
01-05-2019, 06:33 PM
I was under the impression that Brian Joffe and Bidvest had parted company a couple of years ago.

countygump
01-05-2019, 07:55 PM
I was under the impression that Brian Joffe and Bidvest had parted company a couple of years ago.

Yes they did, he started the company but sold it a while ago but now...................

Brian Joffe’s investment holding company Long4Life graduated from “a work in progress” to an owner of a portfolio of companies during the first half of its second financial year.

Glad2BeAPie
01-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Nowt that links him to Notts

queenslandpie
01-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Yes they did, he started the company but sold it a while ago but now...................

Brian Joffe’s investment holding company Long4Life graduated from “a work in progress” to an owner of a portfolio of companies during the first half of its second financial year.

Certainly provides some food for thought....I'll get my coat.

Gubbie
01-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Nowt that links him to Notts

That's what i don't get glad thought i was being thick lol

countygump
01-05-2019, 09:50 PM

He's supposed to be part of the South African consortium or so I was told. Is it true? Ferg knows?

irishpete
02-05-2019, 03:19 AM

It is /has been kept a secret as to who this group is,that's why there is nothing linking him to Notts. Maybe your right.A bit dim dim dim ;):D

irishpete
02-05-2019, 04:14 AM
If it is this fella,you will understand why there is a couple of deals on the table from him.A very astute businessman.The due dillegence has probably taken longer than normal as he went to University to train as a Dr, only to change to Accountancy.So, if it is him, he won't find any Skeletons in the cupboard like the previous 2 owners after taking over.

Gubbie
02-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Lol irish not dim just can't be arsed with speculation over someone who may or may not be taking over notts it's irrelevant really until we know. Wasn't someone saying it could be a nottingham man who's business was something to do with south Africa??🤔

irishpete
02-05-2019, 07:40 AM
That was to do with Octavian.Someone putting 2+2 together.This apparently is starting to do the rounds.The general feeling is that this person is very wealthy

Gubbie
02-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Could be ernie then 🚐😂

irishpete
02-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Most won't know what/who your on about ;);)

marshall55
02-05-2019, 08:00 AM
Rattling his bottles.

irishpete
02-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Rattling his bottles.

& the rest & not just in the West XD

irishpete
02-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Lets see if scoop quashes this rumour today, like the previous one,the Bulgarian.

Dunce
02-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Could be ernie then 🚐😂

Any truth in the rumour that Two ton Ted from Teddington has put a rival bid in? 🤔

Bridg4d_Pie_
02-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Any truth in the rumour that Two ton Ted from Teddington has put a rival bid in? ��

Yep, he drives a truck carrying Two Tons of Tinted Toilet Tissue, I understand. >;):rolleyes:

irishpete
02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Three names I heard were Ben Dover & Shay Van Persie. Mike Hunt the main man
I'm sure some must have heard the same

larryledpants
02-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Any truth in the rumour that Two ton Ted from Teddington has put a rival bid in? 🤔
No but is relation one ball tod from Toddington has

60YearsAPie
02-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Two new bids, apparently. One from Russell King's brothers, Joe King and Lee King.

The other bid from Wendy Boatcomesin

countygump
02-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Two new bids, apparently. One from Russell King's brothers, Joe King and Lee King.

The other bid from Wendy Boatcomesin

Deffo one of Russell King's brothers but I heard it was the younger one, Juan King.

The-Mac pie
02-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Rattling his bottles.

Did he drive the fastest milk float in the West

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
02-05-2019, 10:15 AM
I just hope next season our home form massively improves when we play at ‘The Bidvest Meadow Lane Stadium’

upthemaggies
02-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Did he drive the fastest milk float in the West

I remember in the 1970s being summoned to the headmasters office as a possible witness to what was basically a ***ual assault on the playground, it was all terribly serious, and yet there on his desk was Benny Hill's LP. I just remember looking down at it whilst explaining "I didn't see anything sir, I was swapping football cards with Gavin".

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AvIAAOSwjyBcpnW7/s-l300.jpg

The-Mac pie
02-05-2019, 10:20 AM
I remember in the 1970s being summoned to the headmasters office as a possible witness to what was basically a ***ual assault on the playground, it was all terribly serious, and yet there on his desk was Benny Hill's LP. I just remember looking down at it whilst explaining "I didn't see anything sir, I was swapping football cards with Gavin".

Love it...
Those were the days my friend

irishpete
02-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Youth of today would look at you gone out,same as the Carry On films

The-Mac pie
02-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Youth of today would look at you gone out,same as the Carry On films

And our Blakey from on the buses...
Alf Garnett...now there’s controversy which we should just leave there for the faint hearted

irishpete
02-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Alf would be inside or stabbed in todays society

Gubbie
02-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Problem is comedy as gone pear shaped since all these snowflake people got involved. It's ridiculous no comic or comic writer dare offend anything or any culture nowadays. The likes of chubby and manning and so on you knew what you were in for so if offended don't go alison.

JoePass
02-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Problem is comedy as gone pear shaped since all these snowflake people got involved. It's ridiculous no comic or comic writer dare offend anything or any culture nowadays. The likes of chubby and manning and so on you knew what you were in for so if offended don't go alison.

Once upon a time you could have a good laugh without being offended, those days, unfortunately have long gone.

Woodsetts_Pie
02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Yep, he drives a truck carrying Two Tons of Tinted Toilet Tissue, I understand. >;):rolleyes:

I first heard a 5 minute monologue version of that joke at Mansfield Civic Theatre in 1973, the comedian was a warm up act to a Stackridge concert. Apparently the Two tons of tinted turquoise toilet tissue were being transported from Tiverton to Taunton. The Tiverton transporters were arsole suppliers.

forwardmagpie
02-05-2019, 12:12 PM
I first heard a 5 minute monologue version of that joke at Mansfield Civic Theatre in 1973, the comedian was a warm up act to a Stackridge concert. Apparently the Two tons of tinted turquoise toilet tissue were being transported from Tiverton to Taunton. The Tiverton transporters were arsole suppliers.

Did they do Dora the female explorer ?

Bridg4d_Pie_
02-05-2019, 12:31 PM

They were indeed it just goes on and on was very funny though first time around.

BigFatPie
02-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Yeah bloody political correctness , it’s terrible you can’t go and see the likes of Chubby nowadays because of the snowflake people.

Oh, other than on his 20 odd tour dates around the country this year.

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/roy-chubby-brown

Elite_Pie
02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Yeah bloody political correctness , it’s terrible you can’t go and see the likes of Chubby nowadays because of the snowflake people.

Not to mention the fact that we can't fly England flags or put up Christmas lights any more. Bloody disgrace.

Notsohumblepie
02-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Once upon a time you could have a good laugh without being offended, those days, unfortunately have long gone.

The 'EastEnders' actor Rudolph Walker portrayed Bill Reynolds in the 1970s sitcom, which saw his character frequently racially abused by his neighbour Eddie Booth (Jack Smethurst), but he has defended the programme, insisting the show was supposed to be light-hearted.

He said: "It was for pure entertainment. It wasn't meant to solve the problem of racism at all.

"If you could solve it in a half-hour programme then there wouldn't be racism at all.

"As I said, it was meant for pure entertainment. Full stop."

Rudolph admitted one concern he has about society nowadays is that people have become so conscious about trying to avoid saying the wrong thing, and it "worries" him that people "can't be relaxed in each other's company" anymore.

slack_pie
02-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Not to mention the fact that we can't fly England flags or put up Christmas lights any more. Bloody disgrace.

You aren't even allowed to be white or straight any more either. Or English. It's outrageous.

Woodsetts_Pie
02-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Did they do Dora the female explorer ?

Ah, now, I can't remember. It was when the 2nd album "Friendliness" came out, - all Rhubarb thrashing and all that. Brilliant band. I do remember the comedian doing the ten ton of tinted turquoise toilet tissue joke though.

Gubbie
02-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Yes big fat pie seen him several times including at york last year on his last tour due to age and throat cancer

frenchmagpie
02-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Yes big fat pie seen him several times including at york last year on his last tour due to age and throat cancer

Not all bad news then

Oldstripy
02-05-2019, 03:02 PM
To get back on topic.

Could this South African be in the consortium and looking to invest in a new project and different sport after selling his 50% share in Saracens rugby Club, by the way he is the third richest man in South Africa.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/03/saracens-south-african-co-owners-sell-50-stake-to-chairman-nigel-wray

upthemaggies
02-05-2019, 03:25 PM
by the way he is the third richest man in South Africa.

Begs the question, why us?

LaxtonLad
02-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Begs the question, why us?

Perhaps he wants to be the fourth richest man in SA?

Bridg4d_Pie_
02-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Perhaps he wants to be the fourth richest man in SA?

We can more than help him achieve that l suspect. 🤣🤣

ancientpie
02-05-2019, 04:13 PM
It almost seems like a real life "Munto" but as we have seen in the past we are Notts & there is always a catch! tbh I am getting beyond worrying & developing a "what will be will be " attitude to following Notts, however I am getting tempted by Saturdays trip so if anyone has a spare place from either the ground or Carlton let me know & I will get in touch.

legs77
02-05-2019, 04:21 PM
It would be wise to expect the people talking to us to have a few million in the bank but this talk of billionaires 2nd/3rd richest in SA is all pie in the sky.

Chances are we'll be taken over within a few weeks and maybe put into admin.

80milesSouth
02-05-2019, 04:37 PM
What a cheerful chap you are..

slack_pie
02-05-2019, 05:00 PM
I might be reading too much into things, but in Ardley's pre-match interview, he mentioned a couple of times that whatever happens to Notts this season, there will be good times ahead for the club. I don't know if that's him just playing to the crowd (and downplaying any damage incurred under his tenure), or if he knows what the new owners are about. I guess we'll see either way.

jonnyt1
02-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Relegation == Admin to my mind with a pre pack so the new owners gets it middle of the road (Chirpy chirpy cheap cheap for those of you not over 50)

forwardmagpie
02-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Relegation == Admin to my mind with a pre pack so the new owners gets it middle of the road (Chirpy chirpy cheap cheap for those of you not over 50)

Last night I heard my momma singing this song!!

legs77
02-05-2019, 05:23 PM
What a cheerful chap you are..

We've been here before so I expect very little.

I didnt say it WOULD happen I said it could happen.

Best not to get fans hopes up with mega rich owners when it is unlikely to happen.

magicianpie
02-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Sky no longer sponsoring the cycling team, coincidence? XDXDXD

nw6pie
02-05-2019, 06:22 PM

Thanks for posting that LP cover. Was there ever a less aptly named label than Music for Pleasure?

In those idle moments when I dream of going on "Desert Island Discs", I've got "Ernie" as my first choice, since it's the first song I remember as a kid (I presume played by Ed "Stewpot" Stewart on "Junior Choice").

"He said you wanted pasteurised, cos pasteurised is best / She says 'Ernie I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest."

Back on the original topic: My boss tracks planes for a hobby (it's OK, he probably thinks I'm sad obsessing over a rubbish football team too). A few weeks ago he asked me "Have you heard of Brian Joffe?" I say no and Google him to see that he's a very rich South African businessman. How rich? Well, he flew over to Israel (where I work) from South Africa in his private jet on Election Day. Don't know if that means he has Israeli citizenship as well (which he would need if he wanted to vote) or just a coincidence that he flew in on that day and was there for business.

Be amazed if he is part of any consortium, but he would not be short of a few Krugerrands, for sure.

Dunce
02-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Perhaps he wants to be the fourth
richest man in SA?

🤣🤣👍

LaxtonLad
02-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Thanks for posting that LP cover. Was there ever a less aptly named label than Music for Pleasure?

In those idle moments when I dream of going on "Desert Island Discs", I've got "Ernie" as my first choice, since it's the first song I remember as a kid (I presume played by Ed "Stewpot" Stewart on "Junior Choice").

"He said you wanted pasteurised, cos pasteurised is best / She says 'Ernie I'll be happy if it comes up to my chest."

"Well I rise at six and I feed the chicks and I'm feeling lonesome and blue,
and as I milk the cow my thoughts somehow stray right back to you.
And as the horse and I plough the field nearby your memory I cannot erase,
Until I gaze at the rear of the horse my dear and I seem to see your face".

Sheer poetry.