PDA

View Full Version : One last roll of the dice

1955pie
02-05-2019, 03:04 PM
I give Notts a 50/50 chance of a win Saturday.
I give Cambridge 1 chance in 3 - Macclesfield will be under tremendous pressure because they are the favourites.

That makes it 1 chance in 6 for us.

So roll that dice - - Is it a six??

Another thought, is anyone out there going to Macclesfield to support Cambridge?

OP67
02-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Colin Calderwood played for Mansfield and was on loan at Notts and Forest so must have some heart in Nottingham. He said they're going for a win so fingers crossed. Tricky game for Macc as they ideally need to go for a win as drawing with 10 minutes to go could go either way. With the lack of paid wages in the back of their minds as well.

As for us who knows what team will turn up.

LEPiePie
02-05-2019, 04:36 PM
This may be a silly question but NA interview had me thinking again.

Obviously if we go out of the league we lose the "Oldest professional league club" tag, if we were to come back do we get it back?
Initially I thought so as we'd still be the oldest and in the league. NA alluded that that tag would be gone as in a sense that we'd start at year 1 again. We aren't a phoenix club so that's not right is it?

ManchesterMagpie
02-05-2019, 04:51 PM
I give Cambridge 1 chance in 3 - Macclesfield will be under tremendous pressure because they are the favourites.

Another thought, is anyone out there going to Macclesfield to support Cambridge?

Seriously considering it actually! I can't face the 3 hour drive back from Swindon if we go down but I can be home from Macc in 25 mins :)

upthemaggies
02-05-2019, 04:52 PM
This may be a silly question but NA interview had me thinking again.

Obviously if we go out of the league we lose the "Oldest professional league club" tag, if we were to come back do we get it back?
Initially I thought so as we'd still be the oldest and in the league. NA alluded that that tag would be gone as in a sense that we'd start at year 1 again. We aren't a phoenix club so that's not right is it?

Just change it to "Oldest founder members of the Football League".

countygump
02-05-2019, 05:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OSacidxGe8

SwalePie
02-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Just change it to "Oldest founder members of the Football League".

Just use the has-always-been-far-more-impressive-anyway 'World's Oldest Professional Football Club' instead.

60YearsAPie
02-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Just use the has-always-been-far-more-impressive-anyway 'World's Oldest Professional Football Club' instead.

Exactly.

Sheffield are the "World's Oldest Amateur Football Club."

We are the "World's Oldest Professional Football Club."

This won't change if we're relegated.

2piesonmyshirt
02-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Sign needs two little banners
One on left saying “Previously”
One on right saying “Back soon”
Job done

countygump
02-05-2019, 05:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ldWv0PvKY

SmiffyPie
02-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Exactly.

Sheffield are the "World's Oldest Amateur Football Club."

We are the "World's Oldest Professional Football Club."

This won't change if we're relegated.We SHOULD still sign professional footballers and (hopefully) pay a professional wage so the oldest thing is cast iron.

Mark_Ross
02-05-2019, 08:00 PM

I was thinking about the odds also, but my estimates are a bit different:
Notts to win at Swindon = 10/1
Cambridge to win at Macclesfield = 10/1
Combined odds = 100/1

In other words, there is more chance of a cart horse winning the Grand National.

MagicBoots
02-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Well I’d have taken a roll of the dice a few months back and 1/6 chance is something when most of us thought we would be down in March. As I put on a different thread, playing for the point is not easy, let’s reverse this. If we needed a point at home v Cambridge are we that confident we would be odds on favourites to get it ? Let’s not forget they did the double over us ! We were in this position in 2006 playing Bury on same points as us and we went 2-0 down. We eventually got that point but at 85 minutes we had lost that game. So, is it 1 in 6, or 2 in 6, who knows. First thing is to win at Swindon, take that variable out the equation and hope it’s Macclesfield turn to press the self destruct button - not us.

Elite_Pie
02-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Combined odds = 100/1

Your estimated odds are way off the mark compared to the real prices on offer. The general odds are these:

Notts to win at Swindon = 2/1
Cambridge to win at Macclesfield = 9/4
Combined odds = 8.75/1

MagicBoots
02-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Your estimated odds are way off the mark compared to the real prices on offer. The general odds are these:

Combined odds = 8.75/1

Got 9-1 on Bet365, so why not indeed. Unfortunately we are missing the final game as we will be in Napoli. When we booked this trip last August it was the only date that worked and thought I’d be missing a promotion party, but who knew it would turn out like this. I added Napoli to the bet as well as a home banker and going to try to get to that game. Although we will not be there we will be glued to iFollow or whatever we can. I was there for the great escape v Huddersfield and v Oldham and I pray that it is better than that.

C’mon u pies !!!!

queenslandpie
03-05-2019, 05:03 AM
Combined odds = 100/1

In other words, there is more chance of a cart horse winning the Grand National.

I would have Notts as slight favorites to win at Swindon. Unfortunately for me Macc Cambridge is an absolute home banker of monolithic proportions.

durhampie
03-05-2019, 05:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OSacidxGe8

The mans deluded. He will be happy with a draw...Even though we get relegated.

queenslandpie
03-05-2019, 05:41 AM

I usually agree wit your posts but on this one lets just forget about what we think and just win the bloody game.

durhampie
03-05-2019, 06:08 AM
I usually agree wit your posts but on this one lets just forget about what we think and just win the bloody game.

let's hope so..

Gubbie
03-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Like ardley said any one saturday in a season we can win and mac could lose. Just hope its this saturday you never know.

sidders
03-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Nowhere does he say that, but hey don't look the facts get in the way of your preferred story. The man is calm and controlled; would you rather he did an impression of Buster Blood-Vessel? As he rightly points out Notts have struggled for 12 of the last 16 seasons and this is the denouement of that run. As he rightly identifies, the club needs totally restructuring.
This is a dignified man in action AND WE SHOULD STICK WITH HIM.

irishpete
03-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Nowhere does he say that, but hey don't look the facts get in the way of your preferred story. The man is calm and controlled; would you rather he did an impression of Buster Blood-Vessel? As he rightly points out Notts have struggled for 12 of the last 16 seasons and this is the denouement of that run. As he rightly identifies, the club needs totally restructuring.

Ardley hasn't got a clue,but because he sounds nice lets keep him.Jesus wept,& some will tomorrow night when this bloke takes us down

TSANHO
03-05-2019, 09:40 AM

I concur young man, let’s give him some time to sort the wheat from the chaff, or get rid of all the chaff, and let him have a proper stab at it once he has a summers break and a good run at building the team he wants.

I think we’d all be pleasantly surprised with the results some continuity, over a proper period of time, can bring.

I still think we’ll stay up though 💪

countygump
03-05-2019, 09:44 AM
I still think we’ll stay up though ��

Though I'd take it gladly, not an opinion shared by me or many others, AIH.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/efl-expert-predicts-relegation-notts-2827350

TSANHO
03-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Though I'd take it gladly, not an opinion shared by me or many others, AIH.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/efl-expert-predicts-relegation-notts-2827350

It’s hardly a difficult prediction to make giving the position of the two clubs regarding Notts and Macclesfield....I dunno, I’ve just a feeling, more than likely hope than anything else, that Notts will stay up...We’ll soon find out!

Ardley in....10 year contract!!

Davy500
03-05-2019, 11:00 AM
I concur young man, let’s give him some time to sort the wheat from the chaff, or get rid of all the chaff, and let him have a proper stab at it once he has a summers break and a good run at building the team he wants.

I think we’d all be pleasantly surprised with the results some continuity, over a proper period of time, can bring.

I still think we’ll stay up though 💪

The way to sort the wheat from the chaff, is to dispose hands of Ardley, the joker responsible if we are relegated

He already had a stab at it, out of the relegation zone when he arrived, and 27 matches later .. national league barring a miricle

TSANHO
03-05-2019, 11:30 AM
The way to sort the wheat from the chaff, is to dispose hands of Ardley, the joker responsible if we are relegated

He already had a stab at it, out of the relegation zone when he arrived, and 27 matches later .. national league barring a miricle

I suppose we could get a new man in....clear out the squad and get a new squad of players in. It could be the hot ticket to promotion.

We should give him until November to sort out all the problems at the club, and if he hasn’t by that point, and we’re not in the top half of the table then, he clearly wont be the man to take Notts County forward so we should then get someone new in.....makes you wonder why we haven’t tried this approach before....I’m in!

Ardley out!

upthemaggies
03-05-2019, 11:36 AM
I suppose we could get a new man in....clear out the squad and get a new squad of players in. It could be the hot ticket to promotion.

We should give him until November to sort out all the problems at the club, and if he hasn’t by that point, and we’re not in the top half of the table then, he clearly wont be the man to take Notts County forward so we should then get someone new in.....makes you wonder why we haven’t tried this approach before....I’m in!

Ardley out!

Let's just support the new owners in whatever they decide to do.

TSANHO
03-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Let's just support the new owners in whatever they decide to do.

That’s a crazy suggestion, go take a nap!

SwalePie
03-05-2019, 01:04 PM

I'm in full agreement with you sidders.

Mark_Ross
03-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Combined odds = 8.75/1

Those odds are complete bollox! All that shows us is what anybody with a modicum of sense knows - the bookies would not give you a boil on their backside. Or to put it another way - there is a reason why the bookies are rich & the punters are invariably poor.

bridpie78
03-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Those odds are complete bollox! All that shows us is what anybody with a modicum of sense knows - the bookies would not give you a boil on their backside. Or to put it another way - there is a reason why the bookies are rich & the punters are invariably poor.

they got it wrong installing us as preseason title favourites though

Mark_Ross
03-05-2019, 06:52 PM
they got it wrong installing us as preseason title favourites though

I wonder if anybody had a bet on us for relegation at the start of the season? if so, they are probably buying an island in the Bahamas.

irishpete
03-05-2019, 06:54 PM
I wonder if anybody had a bet on us for relegation at the start of the season? if so, they are probably buying an island in the Bahamas.

Enter Elite ;)

Elite_Pie
03-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Enter Elite ;)

Not quite. My first bet on us being relegated was in August last year at odds of 40/1 after Yeovil had stuffed us at home. I was optimistic of a good season before a ball was kicked, but that defeat was something that opened my eyes big time. I only had a fiver on, but if the worst happens tomorrow that and subsequent bets will pay for a couple of season tickets in the National League.

Elite_Pie
03-05-2019, 07:18 PM

Those odds aren't complete bollox, they are factual. They are out there to be taken advantage of if you are convinced you know better.

In giving us a one in eight chance of survival, I think the bookies are about right.

navypie
03-05-2019, 07:21 PM
I'm in full agreement with you sidders.

As am I.

them0uf
03-05-2019, 08:05 PM

I reckon about 8/1, maybe a bit under is about right. 10/1 and 10/1 were not only overly pessimistic but give combined odds of 120/1.

Mark_Ross
04-05-2019, 11:19 AM
I reckon about 8/1, maybe a bit under is about right. 10/1 and 10/1 were not only overly pessimistic but give combined odds of 120/1.

I think there's always a significant difference between actual probabilities and what the bookies offer - weighted in their favour.

bridpie78
04-05-2019, 11:23 AM
there are 9 possible scenarios ,notts can only stay up with one of those and it happens to be according to anyone who knows anything about football the least likely of those 9 scenarios football is a funny ol game but i wouldnt be putting any cash on us surviving whatever the bookies offer

ive ruled out the scenario where we win 8 nil because thats just ridiculous.....isnt it??

forwardmagpie
04-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Going into a darkened media free room at 2.30pm with phone switched off and will only emerge after 5pm - fingers crossed COYP

countygump
04-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Going into a darkened media free room at 2.30pm with phone switched off and will only emerge after 5pm - fingers crossed COYP

I'm the same. No probs watching a match but listening on the radio drives me insane.