PDA

View Full Version : Mans-failed

navypie
05-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Congratulations to them for reaching the play-offs. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Now, being a Notts fan I fully realise I'm hardly in a posistion to take the p1ss but any small comfort now our annus horribilis is over.
On the subject of the play-offs, Play Up Pompey. They are now my favourite League team, but for one season only.

BanjoPie
05-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Good luck to them I say

navypie
05-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Good luck to them I say

Great to hear from another Pompey fan.

ForeignLegion
05-05-2019, 08:14 AM
I was born near Pompey, Fareham, as the old man was in the Navy. Maybe I should've followed them.

rorylee
05-05-2019, 08:24 AM
I say good luck to the Stags. Always nice to have bragging rights over them, I'd rather that be because we performed better at seasons end rather than them throwing it away. I hope they do well, aren't on the end of any shocking refereeing decisions and actually go up. Maybe we can learn a couple of things from them in terms of coming back back from National League and kicking on from that.

I realise a tin hat may be needed, I just dont like to gloat at others misfortune or wish it upon them.

So good luck Stags!

Woodypie
05-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Congratulations to them for reaching the play-offs. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Now, being a Notts fan I fully realise I'm hardly in a posistion to take the p1ss but any small comfort now our annus horribilis is over.
On the subject of the play-offs, Play Up Pompey. They are now my favourite League team, but for one season only. Stones, glass houses? I wish Notts had finished fourth.

Chicken Balti Pie
05-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Stones, glass houses? I wish Notts had finished fourth.

We did last year...

KintoreMagpie
05-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Stones, glass houses? I wish Notts had finished fourth.

and Mansfield FC will still be about next year. I am now having panic attacks that NCFC will not be.

ForeignLegion
05-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Should I ask Benny Hinn for a refund?

nw6pie
05-05-2019, 08:43 AM
I say good luck to the Stags. Always nice to have bragging rights over them, I'd rather that be because we performed better at seasons end rather than them throwing it away. I hope they do well, aren't on the end of any shocking refereeing decisions and actually go up. Maybe we can learn a couple of things from them in terms of coming back back from National League and kicking on from that.

I realise a tin hat may be needed, I just dont like to gloat at others misfortune or wish it upon them.

So good luck Stags!

Mansfield’s failure to go up automatically brought me zero pleasure, likewise them going up would give me zero pleasure. Just not on my radar. I’d like Newport to go up because they are punching well above their weight and seem a model for all small clubs (make money in the cup, invest it in players).

KintoreMagpie
05-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Should I ask Benny Hinn for a refund?

Better still ask him to take over the club as chairman. With his connections and money (formerly yours) we can fly high!

ForeignLegion
05-05-2019, 09:30 AM
No, I haven't actually sent him any money, it was an attempt at humour. I wouldn't pi55 on the old flog if he was on fire.

countygump
05-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Well done to Mansfield is all I have to say, wish we had your problems rather than our own.

Dunce
05-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Mansfield’s failure to go up automatically brought me zero pleasure, likewise them going up would give me zero pleasure. Just not on my radar. I’d like Newport to go up because they are punching well above their weight and seem a model for all small clubs (make money in the cup, invest it in players).

100% This. ⬆️

Warnocks Legends
05-05-2019, 09:33 AM
If the best we can do is gloat over our near rivals misfortune, we really are in a mess. I for one wish Mansfield every success and will miss our local Derbies.

navypie
05-05-2019, 09:37 AM

So good luck Stags!

I never used to really give Mans-failed a second thought. That all changed listening to their fans before we played them at home, how desperate they were to send us down, feck um. Before and after the game yesterday I didn't see any trouble. In fact, I thought both sets of fans mixed really well but Swindon now makes my list. Hearing them cheer louder( including from the stand that would have been the Pavis equivalent) when Macc equalized than when their own team scored! Why?

KintoreMagpie
05-05-2019, 09:59 AM
I never used to really give Mans-failed a second thought. That all changed listening to their fans before we played them at home, how desperate they were to send us down, feck um. Before and after the game yesterday I didn't see any trouble. In fact, I thought both sets of fans mixed really well but Swindon now makes my list. Hearing them cheer louder( including from the stand that would have been the Pavis equivalent) when Macc equalized than when their own team scored! Why?

Pretty sure that most of our fans would do the same had the boot been on the other foot. Grimsby fans were celebrating their team's inept performance by telling us we were going down when they heard that Macclesfield were winning v PV. It is part of football banter! The only thing that springs to mind that might make us more hated than most is back in the Munto days didn't some of our intellectual supporters wave wads of cash at opposing fans to show our new found wealth. Maybe that is a myth but if I was on the receiving end of such behaviour my long term memory would now allow me to gloat at Notts' predicament even if my short term one did not why I was doing this!

KintoreMagpie
05-05-2019, 10:03 AM
No, I haven't actually sent him any money, it was an attempt at humour. I wouldn't pi55 on the old flog if he was on fire.

Darn it and I thought you were being in deadly earnest. All hope has now left me and it is "down to the lake I fear".

slack_pie
05-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Well done to Mansfield is all I have to say, wish we had your problems rather than our own.

Exactly this. I'd bloody love to go back a year and be disappointed about blowing automatic promotion. Oh to see our play off hopes dashed by a bent ref again.

navypie
05-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Pretty sure that most of our fans would do the same had the boot been on the other foot. Grimsby fans were celebrating their team's inept performance by telling us we were going down when they heard that Macclesfield were winning v PV. It is part of football banter! The only thing that springs to mind that might make us more hated than most is back in the Munto days didn't some of our intellectual supporters wave wads of cash at opposing fans to show our new found wealth. Maybe that is a myth but if I was on the receiving end of such behaviour my long term memory would now allow me to gloat at Notts' predicament even if my short term one did not why I was doing this!

I don't doubt for one minute that some of our fans would. But to hear and see fans celebrate a goal from a team that means nothing to them( meaning a team that means nothing to them might be relegated ), more than seeing a team that means everything to them score a goal. Strange. Having sat in the Pavis stand for years I can tell you it would have hardly raised a murmur. Yeah, I know about the Pavis thankyou.

Edit. Unless we have history with Swindon I know nothing about.

countygump
05-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Some Stags fans were not pleased............

https://twitter.com/_whatadamsaid/status/1124796981367455744

LaughingMagpie
05-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Interestingly, if Mansfield had won their last 3 games they would have been champions.

navypie
05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
I was born near Pompey, Fareham, as the old man was in the Navy. Maybe I should've followed them.

It was only ever a marriage of convenience for me mate. I remember going to watch Portsmouth for the first time, a pre-season game against Chelsea. I witnessed the worst violence I have ever seen at a football match and swore I would never go to Fratton Park again. But I did and Pompey grew on me. Mind you, it would never have been a good idea to let the locals you were in the Navy. Some of them didn't take kindly to us.

irish_pie
05-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Agree with every word of this... for me growing up here in Ireland I just don't have the hatred for Mansfield that I would if I grew up in Nottingham...believe me I do not like them one bit but what happens to them has no effect on me at all, I am a pie for the last 20 years and they consume all of my attention :) If they do go up fair play to them.

StagManStan
05-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Likewise, when I left MK, I had no care for what Notts had done. Had we have gone up, Notts' relegation might have been the icing on the cake.

Life on the other side takes some getting used to btw.