PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here

kill_the_drum
05-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Yesterday wasn’t a consequence of Ardley or even Hardy in isolation, but years of bad decisions that have lead to long term failure.
We’ve probably had more managers and owners in the last 10 years than any other club.
Stability in any walk of life is a positive thing, and we’ve not had any stability at this club in any capacity since Pavis left.
We’ve had academies, scrapped academies, had several training pitches and a ridiculous turnover of players.
Every time something changes we end up a little bit worse so we then make more changes and it’s just gone on and on!
I don’t care if the new owners are rich or not, I just want a decade of stability and see where that takes us.
I want a club with a vision and I don’t want that vision to be ‘Championship football in five years.’
All that does is make fans unhappy when it doesn’t happen and force owners to make rash short term decisions.
Let’s have a manager for at least 3 seasons, nurture talent both on and off the pitch and just trust in some stability.
If that means being worse before we’re better then so be it.
If we continue to do what we’ve always done then we’ll continue to get what we’ve always got.....worse!

countygump
05-05-2019, 02:57 PM
I absolutely agree that we need stability but you cannot completely blame our relegation on what has gone before. This year's failures have been down to rank bad management and pish poor player recruitment. We were in the P/O's last year in case you'd forgotten and while I totally agree on your wish to keep a manager over a period of years, we need the right man first.

SmiffyPie
05-05-2019, 03:03 PM
I absolutely agree that we need stability but you cannot completely blame our relegation on what has gone before. This year's failures have been down to rank bad management and pish poor player recruitment. We were in the P/O's last year in case you'd forgotten and while I totally agree on your wish to keep a manager over a period of years, we need the right man first.Completely agree. What happened before Hardy is (almost) irrelevant compared to the absolute cock-up from January last year. I would imagine most clubs gaining promotion or achieving a play off position would have been greatly helped by commitment of the players to the manager, supporters and club. The garbage happening behind the scenes at Notts would have knocked the stuffing out of most people.

BanjoPie
05-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Dover - Maidenhead - Sutton - Hartlepool - Boring Wood etc etc

navypie
05-05-2019, 03:26 PM
I absolutely agree that we need stability but you cannot completely blame our relegation on what has gone before. This year's failures have been down to rank bad management and pish poor player recruitment. We were in the P/O's last year in case you'd forgotten and while I totally agree on your wish to keep a manager over a period of years, we need the right man first.

No Notts manager is ever given the time to prove he's the " right man ".

countygump
05-05-2019, 03:41 PM
No Notts manager is ever given the time to prove he's the " right man ".

Depends how far back you wanna go back, Navy? If you look at the average time any manager is given at any club, (429 days), we are no worse and no better than any other club. That's just the way football is these days. To suggest we are somehow different to any other footy club is just not true. We do have the distinction of having had the most managers but then again we are the oldest football club.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10064156/west-ham-managers-serve-the-longest-average-tenures-in-english-football

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/club/history/managers/

Bohinen
05-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Obviously it would be good to keep a manager for a number of years, but in order to do that, you must first appoint the right one. Clearly Ardley is not that man.

The added problem is that when you do have the right man, everyone else will want him too, as was the case with Jimmy (Sheffield United), Big Sam (Bolton) and Warnock,(Chelsea, although he did stay, in fairness). And I nearly forget, Cotterill. So keeping a manager for a huge stretch is not that simple unless you're are a massive club or you have very limited ambitions (like Crewe).

I suppose if you want to tolerate a bad manager, you could do so for as long as you wanted, but where does that get you?

navypie
05-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Depends how far back you wanna go back, Navy? If you look at the average time any manager is given at any club, (429 days), we are no worse and no better than any other club. That's just the way football is these days. To suggest we are somehow different to any other footy club is just not true. We do have the distinction of having had the most managers but then again we are the oldest football club.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10064156/west-ham-managers-serve-the-longest-average-tenures-in-english-football

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/club/history/managers/

What is the recent, let's say the last 10 years for argument sake, average gump?

legs77
05-05-2019, 04:01 PM
This is a difficult question to answer if honest putting aside my negative feelings towards Hardy and to a lesser extent Ardley away.

First of all we need to know more information about the takeover or if it is happening as what Hardy / Slater said has put severe doubts in my head, I never believed the Joffe rumours as someone of that ilk wouldn’t mess over a few quid.

Relegation is the only thing I can think of that is holding any deal up and if that is the case then the people who were looking at the club were either stupid,not committed or don’t have much money.

I think starting the national league on zero points is the best we can hope for as with the lack of news coming out this nightmare could get worse a lot worse.

kill_the_drum
05-05-2019, 04:18 PM

Yes I remember it well.
And going back to my point about stability, was sacking a manager that had already proven he could get an average squad to the play offs the right choice after a handful of games?

countygump
05-05-2019, 04:20 PM
What is the recent, let's say the last 10 years for argument sake, average gump?

For us? 15 managers in the last 10 years making 240 ish days (8 mnths) each? Don't forget the 429 days is for all divisions, incl Prem, and they tend to keep their managers for longer so bumping up the average. Also it's a figure from 2014, no idea if it's worse or better now?

countygump
05-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Yes I remember it well.
And going back to my point about stability, was sacking a manager that had already proven he could get an average squad to the play offs the right choice after a handful of games?

Actually I think there were other reasons involved in Hardy's sacking of Nolan, *hic*.

navypie
05-05-2019, 04:47 PM
For us? 15 managers in the last 10 years making 240 ish days (8 mnths) each? Don't forget the 429 days is for all divisions, incl Prem, and they tend to keep their managers for longer so bumping up the average. Also it's a figure from 2014, no idea if it's worse or better now?

Well, I'm bored with the merry thingy jig . Just a few.
Nolan....Hated he was a piss head.
Kewell .....Hated he was an arrogant b@stard.
Moniz..... Hated his dress sense.
Derry.......Hated English wasn't his first language.

countygump
05-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Well, I'm bored with the merry thingy jig . Just a few.
Nolan....Hated he was a piss head.
Kewell .....Hated he was an arrogant b@stard.
Moniz..... Hated his dress sense.
Derry.......Hated English wasn't his first language.

As we all are but it's the nature of the beast innitt? Get a decent manager.....Someone poaches him after a year or 18 months. Get a cr@p manager, no one wants him including the club he works for. You could make the argument that we have sacked managers who should have been given more time in recent years, Short, Curle, MadDog, Kewell bet there's plenty more?

kill_the_drum
05-05-2019, 06:41 PM
As we all are but it's the nature of the beast innitt? Get a decent manager.....Someone poaches him after a year or 18 months. Get a cr@p manager, no one wants him including the club he works for. You could make the argument that we have sacked managers who should have been given more time in recent years, Short, Curle, MadDog, Kewell bet there's plenty more?

How would we know, we never keep a manager longer than 6 months which is my point.
Curle is one that sticks in my mind. He had us upper half of league one but he was such an unpopular appointment that he was never going to be more than 5 bad results from the sack.

navypie
05-05-2019, 06:41 PM

To be honest mate, I don't even know what makes ( If I ever have
)a good manager anymore.

Bohinen
05-05-2019, 06:47 PM
How would we know, we never keep a manager longer than 6 months which is my point.
Curle is one that sticks in my mind. He had us upper half of league one but he was such an unpopular appointment that he was never going to be more than 5 bad results from the sack.

The reason for this is that we don't take proper care with our appointments. Trew knew Curle would be unpopular before he gave him the job. The problem really was with our home form, record away form is all very well, but your paying customers never get to see it.

kill_the_drum
06-05-2019, 05:40 AM
The reason for this is that we don't take proper care with our appointments. Trew knew Curle would be unpopular before he gave him the job. The problem really was with our home form, record away form is all very well, but your paying customers never get to see it.

So assuming Curle was the best applicant at the time, was Trew wrong to appoint him?
I remember being disgusted when he was sacked because I felt like we’d just slit our own throat. Trew came on here after and admitted he didn’t want to sack him but he had to stop the decline in attendance.
Again nobody wanted stability, just a short term change that made us worse!

Notts78
06-05-2019, 06:45 AM
We will never get the right man because their will always be someone who thinks he is crap, that will stir from the out set, and once we have a couple of defeats will begin to gain support and their voices escalate until that man is hounded out. It’s happened a number of times, and will continue to happen.
We will never get stability or have sustained success if we continue the merry-go-round of managers AND players. We will never get an identity as a club. We have no philosophy because we chop and change all the time from top to bottom. It’s simply got to stop.
Owners have to be realistic with plans for our club, not this ‘5 year championship’ plan we have heard over and over and over again.
As fans we have to have expectations that sometimes our ambition will be limited simply staying in the Division we are in. I remember a few moaning when we were in League 1 about our ambition. Now look.
As fans we have to except that the football will be sh1t, many of the players won’t be to the standard we would want. We have to accept that we are light years behind our foes from over the Trent and stop trying to catch them.
Our club is what it is, but it’s OUR club. Let’s make it the best it can be. Enjoy what we have. COYPs

kill_the_drum
06-05-2019, 08:14 AM
We will never get the right man because their will always be someone who thinks he is crap, that will stir from the out set, and once we have a couple of defeats will begin to gain support and their voices escalate until that man is hounded out. It’s happened a number of times, and will continue to happen.
We will never get stability or have sustained success if we continue the merry-go-round of managers AND players. We will never get an identity as a club. We have no philosophy because we chop and change all the time from top to bottom. It’s simply got to stop.
Owners have to be realistic with plans for our club, not this ‘5 year championship’ plan we have heard over and over and over again.
As fans we have to have expectations that sometimes our ambition will be limited simply staying in the Division we are in. I remember a few moaning when we were in League 1 about our ambition. Now look.
As fans we have to except that the football will be sh1t, many of the players won’t be to the standard we would want. We have to accept that we are light years behind our foes from over the Trent and stop trying to catch them.
Our club is what it is, but it’s OUR club. Let’s make it the best it can be. Enjoy what we have. COYPs

Totally agree and it’s a point that I’ve made several times over the years.
Before we can focus on any sort of stability and progression we’ve got to accept that just because we have history and a nice stadium, we don’t have some sort of right to be playing at a higher level. This breeds that expectation of immediate and constant success, which in turn means we sack a manager after a handful of bad results.

McCullochisGod
06-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Yesterday wasn’t a consequence of Ardley or even Hardy in isolation, but years of bad decisions that have lead to long term failure.
We’ve probably had more managers and owners in the last 10 years than any other club.
Stability in any walk of life is a positive thing, and we’ve not had any stability at this club in any capacity since Pavis left.
We’ve had academies, scrapped academies, had several training pitches and a ridiculous turnover of players.
Every time something changes we end up a little bit worse so we then make more changes and it’s just gone on and on!
I don’t care if the new owners are rich or not, I just want a decade of stability and see where that takes us.
I want a club with a vision and I don’t want that vision to be ‘Championship football in five years.’
All that does is make fans unhappy when it doesn’t happen and force owners to make rash short term decisions.
Let’s have a manager for at least 3 seasons, nurture talent both on and off the pitch and just trust in some stability.
If that means being worse before we’re better then so be it.
If we continue to do what we’ve always done then we’ll continue to get what we’ve always got.....worse!

IS IT DOWN TO THE LAKE I FEAR? Loved that Hair Cut 100 song!