PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Cahill to come back ?

malwayne
08-05-2019, 05:43 PM
I would. According to the media we are one of a few clubs interested in signing him. Even at 33 years old, he could do a very good job for us. He is a northern lad, has loads of experience and enjoyed his time at the Turf. I think he would be a great signing with first team football virtually guaranteed. What’s everyone’s opinion ? Should the club go all out to get him ? Let’s see this new recruitment policy gather some speed and make a statement at the same time.

1959_60
08-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Only as a short term stop gap if Tarks goes.

We simply don't need another centre half within our current squad. He wouldn't be a starter here unless Mee or Tarks were off.

Long and Gibson (although I have seen very little of him) are more than adequate back up.

whittyclaretandblue
08-05-2019, 07:13 PM
I would have him for a yr or 2 as a bit more defensive cover but he will probably end up at one of the promoted sides because we couldn't compete on wages.

sinkov
08-05-2019, 07:59 PM
I'll drive down to London and pick him up myself. You just can't have enough quality players imo.

outwoodclaret
08-05-2019, 08:29 PM
I really can’t make my mind up on this one. Graham Alexander and Joey Barton were inspired signings. Gazza was a disaster. Cahill was brilliant on that season long loan from Villa. Ended up back at Villa after a couple of rebounds only to find out Martin O’Neill thought he was surplus to requirements and promptly sold him to Bolton. What a mistake to make. Still these things happen. Manchester United have Smalling and Jones. Enough said. Let’s do the sensible and wise thing and let Sean decide if he wants him.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-05-2019, 06:55 AM
I really can’t make my mind up on this one. Graham Alexander and Joey Barton were inspired signings. Gazza was a disaster. Cahill was brilliant on that season long loan from Villa. Ended up back at Villa after a couple of rebounds only to find out Martin O’Neill thought he was surplus to requirements and promptly sold him to Bolton. What a mistake to make. Still these things happen. Manchester United have Smalling and Jones. Enough said. Let’s do the sensible and wise thing and let Sean decide if he wants him.

Tarkowski off for £50 million, the 61 times England capped Cahill in for free. Yet another fine example of the "Burnley Way". O:)

army88
09-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Tarkowski off for £50 million, the 61 times England capped Cahill in for free. Yet another fine example of the "Burnley Way". O:)

I can see it sort off , but it’s not progressing imo anyway it’s a stop gap.
Wrong end of his career for me , lacks pace and gets caught out hence why Chelsea don’t play him.

If you look at it logically Sarri is Italian and they love to defend, if he doesn’t pick him that tells you everything I think.

We need to be looking to give Gibson his chance If Tarky is going to leave, personally I still think Mee would leave if an offer came for him.

I mean he wanted away before he was almost forced into a new contract—- if someone offered him the opportunity to be considered for England spot elsewhere I think he’d go.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-05-2019, 09:14 AM
I can see it sort off , but it’s not progressing imo anyway it’s a stop gap.
Wrong end of his career for me , lacks pace and gets caught out hence why Chelsea don’t play him.

If you look at it logically Sarri is Italian and they love to defend, if he doesn’t pick him that tells you everything I think.

We need to be looking to give Gibson his chance If Tarky is going to leave, personally I still think Mee would leave if an offer came for him.

I mean he wanted away before he was almost forced into a new contract—- if someone offered him the opportunity to be considered for England spot elsewhere I think he’d go.

Lot of "ifs and buts" in there army! :s

Vintage Claret
09-05-2019, 01:24 PM
I think Cahill was a quality centre back, unfortunately at his age the quality he had is deminishing, hence he can not command an automatic selection at Chelsea. Bringing in Cahill would show the ambition was have come to expect from Burnley FC. It would only need for us to sell Tarky or Mee and Mr Rigg could be saying we have done some good business.

army88
09-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Lot of "ifs and buts" in there army! :s

BT your the one who said Tarky is off , I just threw the Mee thing in because I think he feels he doesn’t get recognition at Burnley ( not from us ) but from the national set up and if he went elsewhere a so called bigger club he might.

Personally he’s brave as a lion and makes some hellish tackles but he also always has a bad decision in him.

sinkov
09-05-2019, 03:03 PM
l would imagine Cahill isn't quite the player he was, but just because Sarri doesn't pick him doesn't mean he's completely gone. There are quite a few decent players can't get into the first eleven at a top six club, I'd be amazed if he wasn't still good enough to do a job for us.

The Bedlington Terrier
09-05-2019, 03:11 PM
l would imagine Cahill isn't quite the player he was, but just because Sarri doesn't pick him doesn't mean he's completely gone. There are quite a few decent players can't get into the first eleven at a top six club, I'd be amazed if he wasn't still good nough to do a job for us.

Total no-brainer is this one sinkov. Cahill's legs have not gone yet, it's public record that him and Sarri can't stand the sight of each other. Cahill and Mee, Cahill and Gibson, Gibson and Mee with Long still in reserve. Ticks all the boxes for me. Taxi is already booked for Tarkowski - he's away!

army88
10-05-2019, 08:24 AM
I really don’t get it on here some times , in one breath we are asking for younger quicker progressive players who bring excitement and pace to our team , the next we are sanctioning for what I would liken to signing Albert steptoe.

Come on gents if we were in the championship and looking for a reliable no nonsense centre back who has the credentials but not quite the gusto maybe then I’d say yes.

You don’t need to go very far back to look at Cahill s ex partner ( who let me say was a real quality centre back) in mr Terry who played at Villa but never set the world alight. ( because he’s too old that’s all - not a bad player still now I bet but past it.)

The Bedlington Terrier
10-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Bloody hell army he is 34 years old. At his age I had three kids, a full time job, played football at a decent level twice a week, refereed in the Hyndburn Boy's League on Saturday mornings and still had enough energy in the tank to be having an extra-marital affair. >:)

This lad has trained virtually every day since he was about twelve, played 61 times for England and appeared in the EPL more than 300 times. He will have at least three full seasons in his legs yet, experienced centre backs are not known for putting the "hard yards" in!

I'll happily send Terrier Taxis fastest cab down and pick him up for free. (Sinkov said he'd pay for it anyway!) XD

sinkov
10-05-2019, 09:20 PM
He's only started 6 games for Chelsea this season under Sarri, they won all six. The season before Conte had no problem with him, he started 38 games, 16 of them clean sheets, including against Arsenal, Liverpool and United twice. He hadn't suddenly become a liability in one summer, looks to me like the problem was more to do with Sarri than with Cahill's performances.

army88
11-05-2019, 11:54 AM
He's only started 6 games for Chelsea this season under Sarri, they won all six. The season before Conte had no problem with him, he started 38 games, 16 of them clean sheets, including against Arsenal, Liverpool and United twice. He hadn't suddenly become a liability in one summer, looks to me like the problem was more to do with Sarri than with Cahill's performances.

I don’t think he’s what we call a liability but his best years have gone, it’s a typical Burnley move imo, if Tarky s going and he’s a stop gap so be it but we have Gibson himself a very accomplished centre back with no nonsense defending and years in the bank, I’m not sure what’s happening on here two weeks ago we were having a clear out Ward - Bardsley as they were coming to the end of good careers , now were signing someone older.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-05-2019, 03:11 PM
I don’t think he’s what we call a liability but his best years have gone, it’s a typical Burnley move imo, if Tarky s going and he’s a stop gap so be it but we have Gibson himself a very accomplished centre back with no nonsense defending and years in the bank, I’m not sure what’s happening on here two weeks ago we were having a clear out Ward - Bardsley as they were coming to the end of good careers , now were signing someone older.

Bardsley has triggered another year with us because he had it written into his contract if he played a certain amount of games we would keep him. I love Bardo!:heart: What's with this ageism thing army? You mark my words, you will be 34 years old one day!

army88
11-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Bardsley has triggered another year with us because he had it written into his contract if he played a certain amount of games we would keep him. I love Bardo!:heart: What's with this ageism thing army? You mark my words, you will be 34 years old one day!

16 years ago BT ,

I’m fond of Bardsley myself , and I think he deserves the year based on he’s a bit Barton esq he drags players up and makes them play for each other.

More you watch this league though it’s a young mans game that’s all I think.

I’ll watch with interest to see if we get Cahill if we can also add some young exciting players to the squad.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-05-2019, 04:18 PM
"Young exciting players to the squad"?

Either lay off the booze or the weed army. >:)

sinkov
11-05-2019, 09:05 PM

It's all hypothetical anyway army, personally I doubt Cahill will be signing for us. We signed Tarko put him on the bench for a year, then he replaced Keane, we signed Taylor, put him on the bench for a year, then he replaced Ward, we signed Gibson, put him on the bench for a year, surely he'll replace Tarko, that seems to be the way we operate.

It's just that if we do want to sign players of Cahill's ability, we're only ever going to get them at the fag end of their careers, and I'd have no worries about him in the unlikely event we do sign him, he was a regular in one of the best teams in Europe 12 months ago, he hasn't lost all that ability in just one year.