PDA

View Full Version : Two mistakes re NEP

Simon the Pieman
09-05-2019, 07:30 AM
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/two-mistakes-lead-unthinkable-happening-2847056

Hopefully the above link will lead you to a NEP article. Admittedly by expert Gary Birtles but I have to state: Two Mistakes?
Can't you count Gary?

Bohinen
09-05-2019, 09:41 AM
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/two-mistakes-lead-unthinkable-happening-2847056

Hopefully the above link will lead you to a NEP article. Admittedly by expert Gary Birtles but I have to state: Two Mistakes?
Can't you count Gary?

The first mistake is the **** imagining anyone has any interest in anything he says. I'll get back to you with the second.

countygump
09-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Charlie McParley is less than impressed:

https://twitter.com/Notts_TV/status/1126145527878508544

Davy500
09-05-2019, 01:31 PM

Can't you count Gary?

For once Gary is spot on about Nolan , i myself predicted relegation, and suggested a scenerio playing out , as in 1995 when walker was sacked , and we were relegated from the 2nd tier

I also stated that managers should be judged on there whole time, and nolans overall record was a win rate of 42% , and play off form across 2 seasons, and showed he could turn things around after 10 losses in 2017

I hear people saying well the form from January 2018 was only ordinary, that maybe but what about his for from August to January you just cant ignore that, and neither does the table

As for the drop in form. there were reasons for this. Yates leaving in January, a poor January transfer window when the time was ripe to improve the squad, and later the shocking decisions by the officials, are the reason we were not in league 1

Nobody can argue if we had stuck with Nolan all season,we would be no worse off, and most likely would still be in league 2

i961pie
09-05-2019, 03:00 PM
For once Gary is spot on about Nolan , i myself predicted relegation, and suggested a scenerio playing out , as in 1995 when walker was sacked , and we were relegated from the 2nd tier

I also stated that managers should be judged on there whole time, and nolans overall record was a win rate of 42% , and play off form across 2 seasons, and showed he could turn things around after 10 losses in 2017

I hear people saying well the form from January 2018 was only ordinary, that maybe but what about his for from August to January you just cant ignore that, and neither does the table

As for the drop in form. there were reasons for this. Yates leaving in January, a poor January transfer window when the time was ripe to improve the squad, and later the shocking decisions by the officials, are the reason we were not in league 1

Nobody can argue if we had stuck with Nolan all season,we would be no worse off, and most likely would still be in league 2

Or we could have been relegated by Xmas and left with crowds of less than 4,000?

sidders
09-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Do you accept he had a drink problem? If so, is this compatible with being a football manager?

Big Bob
09-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Do you accept he had a drink problem? If so, is this compatible with being a football manager?

No wonder he had a drink problem with what goes on at Notts

Davy500
09-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Or we could have been relegated by Xmas and left with crowds of less than 4,000?

Highly unlikely, i dont think any team has ever been relegated from league 2 by xmas.

But we are relegated and will have crowds less than 4000 next season anyway , so no better off

Alan hardy wanted to get out of league 2, and in his haste sacked nolan .well he did get out of league 2 , just in the wrong direction lol

countygump
09-05-2019, 05:28 PM
You'll like this, NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/efl-confirm-nottingham-forest-now-2850883

SwalePie
09-05-2019, 05:42 PM

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/efl-confirm-nottingham-forest-now-2850883

Let's hope it's not for long. We'll still be the oldest league club if and when we are promoted back to League Two.

Davy500
09-05-2019, 05:43 PM

well it would have to be them out of all the clubs

MAD_MAGPIE
09-05-2019, 05:52 PM

I agree that what Kevin Nolan did prior meant he probably deserved more time as he had a very good win ratio. Also the loss of key players in Jan 2018 like Yates. However that’s where both Hardy and Nolan should have sat down and said “look we are in the automatic promotion places let’s not look this gift horse in the mouth and go for it this season.” Then they could have brought in adequate replacements and strengthened. The capitulation and national humiliation at Swansea losing 8-1 in the cup was a defining moment for me. It showed all our frailties and weaknesses, and set the tone of what was to come.

As Mansfield may soon find out falling out of the automatics meant we lost our momentum. So the playoffs were always going to be a consolation prize to which we lost because it’s not like everyone was on a high like they are when teams get in right at the end. That’s why I favour Newport to get promoted.

I don’t think it was wrong to sack Kevin Nolan in hindsight as the squad assembled was not good enough, but it was a bit premature after only five games. He should have had perhaps until the end of September.

I think if we had stuck with Nolan then we would have had a similar outcome in all fairness. We needed another win and draw to stay up so nobody knows whether or not he would have got that out of them. It could also have been worse and we could have been relegated earlier.

It was the same bunch of players all the way until Christmas apart from Turley, Evina and Milsom who Kewell brought in. The only difference is who would Kevin Nolan have brought in during January and would they have been better than what Neal Ardley brought in. Probably not if we had been in a similar situation.

SmiffyPie
09-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Do you accept he had a drink problem? If so, is this compatible with being a football manager?I remember watching his first or second interview into the new season and I wondered if he was ill, he was red-faced and looked bloated. Then the drink rumours started to surfaced and 2+2=4.

Davy500
09-05-2019, 06:51 PM
I agree that what Kevin Nolan did prior meant he probably deserved more time as he had a very good win ratio. Also the loss of key players in Jan 2018 like Yates. However that’s where both Hardy and Nolan should have sat down and said “look we are in the automatic promotion places let’s not look this gift horse in the mouth and go for it this season.” Then they could have brought in adequate replacements and strengthened. The capitulation and national humiliation at Swansea losing 8-1 in the cup was a defining moment for me. It showed all our frailties and weaknesses, and set the tone of what was to come.

As Mansfield may soon find out falling out of the automatics meant we lost our momentum. So the playoffs were always going to be a consolation prize to which we lost because it’s not like everyone was on a high like they are when teams get in right at the end. That’s why I favour Newport to get promoted.

I don’t think it was wrong to sack Kevin Nolan in hindsight as the squad assembled was not good enough, but it was a bit premature after only five games. He should have had perhaps until the end of September.

I think if we had stuck with Nolan then we would have had a similar outcome in all fairness. We needed another win and draw to stay up so nobody knows whether or not he would have got that out of them. It could also have been worse and we could have been relegated earlier.

It was the same bunch of players all the way until Christmas apart from Turley, Evina and Milsom who Kewell brought in. The only difference is who would Kevin Nolan have brought in during January and would they have been better than what Neal Ardley brought in. Probably not if we had been in a similar situation.

Firstly its always a pleasure to read your posts mad magpie

I agree firmly with some of your other posts, in that we need to conduct ourselves as a league club in the national league, if we want to return to the league

But in this case i do not

Relegation is relegation it makes no difference if its earlier or the last match

I do not believe we would be anywhere near the bottom if Nolan had remained. The real damage this season was done between November and January when Ardley came in. we were 3rd from bottom when he arrived, to being 8 points a drift by january

The players liked Nolan, and he as already shown, he would have developed a plan for the team, with respect something ardley never did. Even on Saturday against swindon , stallard said the team had no purpose or plan, you could not tell what they had been told to do
Also Nolan had proved before in 2017, after 10 Notts losses he was capable of turning things around in bad times. something he was never given the chance to do..

Just my opinion of course

Pietastic
09-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Of course Nolan may have come good but the drink issues is important if true. Also people seem to be a bit rose tinted glasses about Nolan. Sometimes performances under him were completely dire and personally even when we were grinding out wins it was often pretty soulless football.