PDA

View Full Version : Garry Birtles

queenslandpie
09-05-2019, 08:12 AM
In Garry Birtles latest online Post article he starts sentences with the word 'And' three times. Additionally the use of But and Because. How much exactly is Birtles paid for this stuff and who on earth proof reads it, 'cos i dunno if that is happenin'? I know we are bad but this standard of journalism is beyond appalling. At least let someone competent have a go.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/two-mistakes-lead-unthinkable-happening-2847056

Dunce
09-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Sid will flip his tits. 😂

Bohinen
09-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Sid will flip his tits. ��

But it's quite normal to start a sentence with 'But or 'And'. And I would be surprised if Sid disagreed, except for the fact I said so.

There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=starting+a+sentence+with+but

Spelling Gary with two 'r's is just wrong though.

LaxtonLad
09-05-2019, 08:40 AM
But it's quite normal to start a sentence with 'But or 'And'. And I would be surprised if Sid disagreed, except for the fact I said so.

There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions.

I often begin a sentence with "but" or "and". I don't like it though, possibly because of rules of English grammar being bashed into me in my schooldays. Sometimes it makes more sense that way, though.

queenslandpie
09-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Bloody oath!

Dunce
09-05-2019, 08:52 AM
But it was always frowned upon at West Bridgford high school for boys. The normal punishment with the heads dry finger. Tough times I can tell you.

JoePass
09-05-2019, 08:57 AM
In Garry Birtles latest online Post article he starts sentences with the word 'And' three times. Additionally the use of But and Because. How much exactly is Birtles paid for this stuff and who on earth proof reads it, 'cos i dunno if that is happenin'? I know we are bad but this standard of journalism is beyond appalling. At least let someone competent have a go.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/two-mistakes-lead-unthinkable-happening-2847056

He should go back to fitting carpets.

Bridg4d_Pie_
09-05-2019, 08:59 AM
But it was always frowned upon at West Bridgford high school for boys. The normal punishment with the heads dry finger. Tough times I can tell you.

Correct Dunce as a formal Student of that Educational Establishment you are 100% correct.

SEW or SO, where do we navigate too from here. :p >;)

SwalePie
09-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Mr Scaife had a dry finger? :o

sidders
09-05-2019, 09:10 AM
It's clearly the close season and we can talk about matters only vaguely related to footie, but first of all let me assure Duncey that I do not have moobs.
My 'friend' Bohinen is quite correct in saying that starting a sentence with 'And' or 'But' is quite permissible these days - as long as the writer shows that he / she is in control of their expression.
What Queenie shows is that he has a very naive view of journalism. Someone like Birtles had every right to expect a sub-editor to turn his rickety writing into something with flow and style. The main casualty of this piece is punctuation; either misused or not used.
Newspapers are losing readers with every passing week and therefore having to cut back their budgets. Private Eye has a 'bonfire of the subs' column whereby it features articles that are laughable because of no vetting.

SwalePie
09-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Correct Dunce as a formal Student of that Educational Establishment you are 100% correct.

SEW or SO, where do we navigate too from here. :p >;)

I'm a 'formal' student of that esteemed Ed. Est. too but I don't remember the dry finger treatment...fortunately :)

Bridg4d_Pie_
09-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I'm a 'formal' student of that esteemed Ed. Est. too but I don't remember the dry finger treatment...fortunately :)

But what like I tryed to say I $tudid their when the cane got used most every day $wale, 0k got it.

When I was being Heducated like the Cairo's ruled the Roost, Mr Cairo was a partickularly Nast Piece of Work, dressed in his Gown & Mortar Board, which was always carrying a 3 to 1 mix on board, and with his Trowel and Cane he certainly knew how to administer it.

Dunkirk-Pie
09-05-2019, 09:23 AM
To be fair to Birtles, he probably didn't write any of it. As for who proof reads it, almost certainly nobody.

irishpete
09-05-2019, 10:27 AM
He should go back to fitting carpets.

No he fcking shouldn't.By all accounts he was sheite at that from what I was told, by fellow fitters I worked with

queenslandpie
09-05-2019, 10:47 AM
"Someone like Birtles had every right to expect a sub-editor to turn his rickety writing into something with flow and style" I quote.

Sidney!

Can you please expunge the flow and style in this article!

Writing one sentence paragraphs as you can see is fairly annoying.

But when they also start with words like "And", which I was very clearly told by my teacher 'aint so flash ( and it stuck u see, so fair play to the good old education system for stitching me up like a kipper):

it gets proper annoying.

My kids could do better. I probably couldn't though. 'Innit.

Anyway Sid I would appreciate your thoughts on the current takeover scenario. Good chap that you are.

upthemaggies
09-05-2019, 11:04 AM
At least it's not the snidey sort of piece you might expect from Kenny Burns.

Birtles is a r*d but as an ex-Notts player of more than a full season, a fairly memorable one at that, I think he does have some genuine affection and concern for Notts. Ideally they should be sitting down with a Les Bradd or a Steve Cherry to come up with this sort of summing up of the situation, but it is the r*d rag. I'm still not over that star letter of the week given to that uninformed pr*tt complaining about the Sirell/Wheeler statue. I don't think I can ever forgive them for that, absolutely disgraceful.

queenslandpie
09-05-2019, 11:11 AM
At least it's not the snidey sort of piece you might expect from Kenny Burns.

Birtles is a r*d but as an ex-Notts player of more than a full season, a fairly memorable one at that, I think he does have some genuine affection and concern for Notts. Ideally they should be sitting down with a Les Bradd or a Steve Cherry to come up with this sort of summing up of the situation, but it is the r*d rag. I'm still not over that star letter of the week given to that uninformed pr*tt complaining about the Sirell/Wheeler statue. I don't think I can ever forgive them for that, absolutely disgraceful.

I think you got the n and i the wrong way round in your use of the term snidey :)