PDA

View Full Version : Stead to Halifax?

SwalePie
20-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Rumour going round he's off to Halifax. Anyone know if it has any truth to it?

HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY
20-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Wouldn’t be a surprise seeing as he lives 10/15 minutes away from there

SwalePie
20-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Wouldn’t be a surprise seeing as he lives 10/15 minutes away from there

That would make sense indeed.

Notts78
20-05-2019, 04:44 PM
That would make sense indeed.

Yeah, good luck to the lad. Had his limitations as most do at our level. A good solid pro.

BigFatPie
20-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Seems like a nice fella and a consummate pro, but I’ll always associate his time with Notts as one of failure. Absolute piss take that he got another year last season as well.

seriouspie
20-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Seems like a nice fella and a consummate pro, but I’ll always associate his time with Notts as one of failure. Absolute piss take that he got another year last season as well.

Fair comment

countygump
20-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Serving behind the counter is he or is he security?

Ben the Pie
20-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Have to say my opinion of Stead changed a bit this year, if he was in the middle of the dressing room split, it really bloody hurt us!That interview he gave where he pledged his support to Nolan rand alarms too.
I feel a bit tight as Stead always gave his all however limited but I think he might have caused us problems off the pitch this year, so not too sad to see him leave.

Freeman25
20-05-2019, 06:27 PM

It was a contract extension clause that gave him this last year to be fair and he'd provided goals for us regularly up until this season

JoePass
20-05-2019, 06:33 PM
It was a contract extension clause that gave him this last year to be fair and he'd provided goals for us regularly up until this season

Didnt like his interview but.....he gave it all and scored some great goals.Good luck John.

Elite_Pie
20-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Didnt like his interview but.....he gave it all and scored some great goals.Good luck John.

He will definitely get applause rather than abuse from me if he returns to Meadow Lane with Halifax.

Ben the Pie
20-05-2019, 06:41 PM
He will definitely get applause rather than abuse from me if he returns to Meadow Lane with Halifax.

Oh me too, I'm just more suspicious than I was.

irish_pie
20-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Good luck to the lad if he does go there, always gave 100% and scored some important goals along the way.... I wonder if the offer from the states is still there too....

sidders
20-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Have to say my opinion of Stead changed a bit this year, if he was in the middle of the dressing room split, it really bloody hurt us!That interview he gave where he pledged his support to Nolan rand alarms too.
I feel a bit tight as Stead always gave his all however limited but I think he might have caused us problems off the pitch this year, so not too sad to see him leave.

I'm with you on this, Ben, and like Soccerman I was unimpressed by his comments in a recent interview.

BigFatPie
20-05-2019, 07:54 PM

Yeah, a clause he should never have had. But he was good mates with the manager, and good mates look after each other.

DaveSmithRules
20-05-2019, 08:35 PM
In terms of players we've had in the last 5 years, he's up there with the best of them. But that's really not saying much.

Like many Notts fans I wish him all the best. I'm not sure any players this season 'always gave 100%' but he gave more % than most.

slack_pie
21-05-2019, 04:46 AM
Stead is a strange one. He arrived with real pedigree, having played in the top division and commanded a 7-figure transfer fee a while back. But despite this, his best quality was his dogged work rate. He scored double figures most seasons (or all seasons?) but that stat always seems a bit misleading, as those goals often came in short purple patches or via penalties. Really, he was one of those 'strikers' that could go without scoring from open play for months.

To this day, I can't really work out what his strong points are. He's tall, but he can't win headers. He's not quick, nor is he technically gifted. I get the feeling that if he'd been signed from non-league rather than having previously played higher up, we'd think of him quite differently.

That said, he's always given it 100% on the pitch, and he popped up with some important goals along the way. His time at Notts must have been hugely frustrating for him, too, as we lurched from one crisis to the next. But it was a shame for him to end his time by undermining our current manager in front of the media.

All the best, Steady.

countygump
21-05-2019, 08:32 AM

BanjoPie
21-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Seems obvious to me, he will be joining his old boss Mr Fullarton (surprised no-one mentioned this). Fullarton will probably sign a few more ex-Notts players.

Big Bob
21-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Seems obvious to me, he will be joining his old boss Mr Fullarton (surprised no-one mentioned this). Fullarton will probably sign a few more ex-Notts players.

then he'll come back and haunt us with a stuffing like they all do

jonnyt1
21-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Good luck to Stead, always gave his all but always played without a target man which was unkind on him.

bridpie78
21-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Good luck to Stead, always gave his all but always played without a target man which was unkind on him.

he's stolen a living for 15 years off the back of a purple patch at blackburn where everything he touched for a month went in the goal.

in my opinion its 'journeymen pro's' like him that have been overpaid and under performed that have been a big part of our downfall, he's far from the only one but 42 goals in over 3 years just isn't what you want from your striker when you're paying top money in league 2.

saying that i'm resigned to the fact that he's gonna get a hattrick against us next year (3 penalties)

FRT 87
21-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Potentially off to league one with Tranmere

the_anticlough
22-05-2019, 02:37 AM
Potentially off to league one with Tranmere

No chance. He wouldn't even find the Mersey Tunnel

PedroTheFisherman66
22-05-2019, 02:42 AM
Rumour going round he's off to Halifax. Anyone know if it has any truth to it?

Hope so..at least we will get two clean sheets

slack_pie
22-05-2019, 04:34 AM
he's stolen a living for 15 years off the back of a purple patch at blackburn where everything he touched for a month went in the goal.

in my opinion its 'journeymen pro's' like him that have been overpaid and under performed that have been a big part of our downfall, he's far from the only one but 42 goals in over 3 years just isn't what you want from your striker when you're paying top money in league 2.

saying that i'm resigned to the fact that he's gonna get a hattrick against us next year (3 penalties)

I tend to agree. No doubt he gave it 100% on the pitch, but for the vast majority of his time at Notts, Stead looked off the pace. Pretty much every team we played against in L2 had a big, burly, muscular forward. In comparison, Stead looked like an old man. No doubt he was one of the highest-paid strikers in L2 as well.

We need to stop going for fading 'big name' players who demand above average wages, and instead sign players in their 20s with something to prove.

Notts78
22-05-2019, 06:33 AM

And yet countless managers have played him during that 15 year period. They must all know less than you. Why are you not Pep Guardiola’s advisor?
Look, Stead has his limitations. To me he is not quite anything. He isn’t quick. He isn’t a legitimate target man. What he gives is 100%. Some times that was good enough and other times it wasn’t. What I will say in his defence is that we never once played to his strengths. Despite being tall he wanted the ball to his feet, not 3000 yards in a channel to run after or a mile in the air. So in that respect the 42 goal return in 3 years is not a disaster. Would have been 43 had he not blazed over a penalty v Bury 😭😭

LaughingMagpie
23-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Don't worry, we'll just put a cone out to mark him. The cone will still win all the headers 🤣

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
23-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Was Stead poor in the air or better at winning free kicks high up the pitch? He seemed to go over at the slightest of contact in a aerial battle. Over 3 years under numerous managers I put it down to instruction.

navypie
23-05-2019, 09:59 AM
I'm not allowed to reveal my source ( all I'm willing to say is that he sits next to me at every game ) but in other transfer gossip.

Bird said to be interesting Barnsley..... good for the lad but I would be sorry to see him go.
Enzio said to be interesting Motherwell and Lincoln......good for the lad but I will get over it, very quickly.

Chicken Balti Pie
23-05-2019, 10:02 AM
I'm not allowed to reveal my source ( all I'm willing to say is that he sits next to me at every game ) but in other transfer gossip.

Bird said to be interesting Barnsley..... good for the lad but I would be sorry to see him go.
Enzio said to be interesting Motherwell and Lincoln......good for the lad but I will get over it, very quickly.

Your source is "ExAgentDave" on Twitter who is a kid who is playing around. I'd take no notice of it

navypie
23-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Your source is "ExAgentDave" on Twitter who is a kid who is playing around. I'd take no notice of it

Pretty sure the lad next to me isn't called Dave. Anyway, I thought the Enzio rumour was too good to be true.

SwalePie
23-05-2019, 10:07 AM

I saw those yesterday too.

Chicken Balti Pie
23-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Pretty sure the lad next to me isn't called Dave. Anyway, I thought the Enzio rumour was too good to be true.

I meant your source's source, sorry

navypie
23-05-2019, 10:11 AM
I meant your source's source, sorry

No need to apologize. I can assure you though that my "source", will be getting a clip around the ear.