PDA

View Full Version : O.T.A.R.:- A Spitfire over the Fens.

Psaw
29-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Last weekend i was walking the dogs in the Fens and a Spitfire flew over from Duxford. Duxford is not well known but is well worth visiting, its an Imperial war museum.
There is an older Concord on display, which you can enter, a Lancaster, Mosquito, B52, Messersmidt 109, Flying Fortress, if its there, Lighting, and too many to mention. There is an American hangar, as well as a tank museum with Panzers and Tigers. There is a second world war operations room and plane workshops. Visit the website. There is a restaurant but its not very good. A day wont be enough.

I notice things arnt any better.......

forwardmagpie
29-05-2019, 09:50 AM
I used to work at EMA in aircraft maintenance in the late 70's and early 80s.

Most engineers were ex RAF with a few Pongo's.

There was a 5 wooden bladed prop Spitfire based there and whenever if flew all engineers from all the servicing companies stopped work and stood on the apron and watched.

It was an awesome sight then and still is.

SwalePie
29-05-2019, 10:03 AM
I used to work at EMA in aircraft maintenance in the late 70's and early 80s.

Most engineers were ex RAF with a few Pongo's.

There was a 5 wooden bladed prop Spitfire based there and whenever if flew all engineers from all the servicing companies stopped work and stood on the apron and watched.

It was an awesome sight then and still is.

...and what a sound!

forwardmagpie
29-05-2019, 10:10 AM
...and what a sound!

Yes you didn’t need anyone to tell you it was flying the sound drew toy outside.

The_Don_ORiordan
29-05-2019, 10:48 AM
There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin. Real shame Hucknall Aerodrome closed. The annual June show was amazing there and the place where the flying bedstead first flew. And many engines were designed.

Replaced with houses now......

Duxford is certainly worth a visit though. As is the imperial war museum in London itself.

No glorification at either. If anything, they are very sobering places, despite often showing mankind’s incredible genius at destroying itself.

SwalePie
29-05-2019, 11:11 AM
There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/tTZAfXta7ww

ReadWarbler
29-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Some relatives called into Duxford this last weekend and they said that they have a two seater spitfire that you can go up in, for a price obviously.

dave210371
29-05-2019, 11:18 AM
My grandad worked at Hucknall during WW2 on the Merlin production line

nw6pie
29-05-2019, 04:49 PM
There is nothing like the sound of a Merlin. Real shame Hucknall Aerodrome closed. The annual June show was amazing there and the place where the flying bedstead first flew. And many engines were designed.

Replaced with houses now......

Duxford is certainly worth a visit though. As is the imperial war museum in London itself.

No glorification at either. If anything, they are very sobering places, despite often showing mankind’s incredible genius at destroying itself.

My first memory is of the Hucknall Air Show - specifically the noise of a particular jet, which I now assume was either the Vulcan or Lightning but probably the former:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hU_X5QYBSto

Then there were the Red Arrows at Tollerton. In my mind’s eye, I see the “two planes crossing” routine taking place mere feet from the ground. Like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdiVv3_Ds50

SwalePie
29-05-2019, 04:54 PM
My first memory is of the Hucknall Air Show - specifically the noise of a particular jet, which I now assume was either the Vulcan or Lightning but probably the former:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hU_X5QYBSto

Then there were the Red Arrows at Tollerton. In my mind’s eye, I see the “two planes crossing” routine taking place mere feet from the ground.

Those are some of my earliest too. The Vulcan made an almighty thunderous howl and to see the Lighning blasting vertically up was quite a sight. Incredible rate of climb.

nw6pie
29-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Those are some of my earliest too. The Vulcan made an almighty thunderous howl and to see the Lighning blasting vertically up was quite a sight. Incredible rate of climb.

Beast of a plane, the Vulcan - scary to think it was built to deliver nuclear payloads.

One of the bonuses of playing Yeovil is the Fleet Air Arm Museum up the road, which houses one of the prototype Concordes.

Must have been in the mid-00s that I saw three wonders of the world in a single day - Stonehenge, Concorde and, of course, Stefan Oakes scoring from the halfway line.

Old_pie
29-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Hucknall brings back many memories for me too not least the continual drone of the test bed which drove my shift working father mad. But we went to all the airshows and my first flight was one of the rides they had there.

I don't think any engines were designed at Hucknall. Derby was the design and build centre with Barnoldswick being the development (R&D) centre and gives rise to the B in the RB numbering series.

Hucknall was however where many of these engines made their first flights and I was working there when the first RB211 was started up outdoors.

The post war jets were "common place" and I recall seeing parts of maybe a Vulcan arriving on a low-loader. It was that aircraft that had the most tremendous engine whine whereas the Lightning I think still holds the fastest climb rate of any aircraft and a lot of noise with the afterburners on full.

Later years saw the Phantom jets and I narrowly missed out on getting a ride in one :(

But for pure nostalgia the old bombers and the Hurricane and Spitfire fighters were brilliant.

Good watching points were at the end of the runway towards Bulwell (can't recall the name and it now has the by-pass going through it) and also Watnall Road pre-M1.

cher1
29-05-2019, 07:49 PM
I lived a few miles from Duxford for over 30 years. It's a fascinating place to visit, you can feel the history all around you, especially in the Operations room. If that doesn't give you goose bumps, nothing will.

Spitfires often flew over us. Watching them in formation was spine tingling. So distinctive to see and hear, and even better when Hurricanes and occasionally a Lancaster also went past. Very evocative.

If you do visit, as our Fenland friend suggests, allow a whole day, and that probably won't be enough. I remember the day Concorde arrived, we couldn't wait to go and see it, it's actually much narrower inside than you might think. The story goes that once it landed, it could never take off again as the runway wasnt long enough!

dam617
31-05-2019, 04:09 AM
Last weekend i was walking the dogs in the Fens and a Spitfire flew over from Duxford. Duxford is not well known but is well worth visiting, its an Imperial war museum.
There is an older Concord on display, which you can enter, a Lancaster, Mosquito, B52, Messersmidt 109, Flying Fortress, if its there, Lighting, and too many to mention. There is an American hangar, as well as a tank museum with Panzers and Tigers. There is a second world war operations room and plane workshops. Visit the website. There is a restaurant but its not very good. A day wont be enough.

I notice things arnt any better.......

Good call. We go to Flying Legends at Duxford every year - my kids have been every year since they were born.
I can recommend a visit to the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre if you're a fan of piston-engined arcraft from the Second World War.
They have a Lanc which can taxy on all 4 Merlins and for a hefty fee you can be on board as they do it - my wife bought me a taxy ride years ago and I stood in the cockpit, behind the pilot who had flown them in anger.
They have a Mossie too and I believe it has one Merlin running so far.

I grew up less than a mile from Hucknall airfield and can clearly remember the engine testing - it always seemed to be on sunny days. What a racket, its hardly believable they used to do it outside. The airshows made up for it though and also the practice displays of the Rolls Royce Spitfire every year before the display season - he used to disappear behind the houses on our street - people stood in the street. Can't fly that low anymore, the pilot would be locked up.

marshall55
31-05-2019, 06:50 AM
Hucknall brings back many memories for me too not least the continual drone of the test bed which drove my shift working father mad. But we went to all the airshows and my first flight was one of the rides they had there.

I don't think any engines were designed at Hucknall. Derby was the design and build centre with Barnoldswick being the development (R&D) centre and gives rise to the B in the RB numbering series.

Hucknall was however where many of these engines made their first flights and I was working there when the first RB211 was started up outdoors.

The post war jets were "common place" and I recall seeing parts of maybe a Vulcan arriving on a low-loader. It was that aircraft that had the most tremendous engine whine whereas the Lightning I think still holds the fastest climb rate of any aircraft and a lot of noise with the afterburners on full.

Later years saw the Phantom jets and I narrowly missed out on getting a ride in one :(

But for pure nostalgia the old bombers and the Hurricane and Spitfire fighters were brilliant.

Good watching points were at the end of the runway towards Bulwell (can't recall the name and it now has the by-pass going through it) and also Watnall Road pre-M1.
Ahh the RB211 still part of my job today, those turbine blades were built to last and they have.