PDA

View Full Version : Tranmere fan in peace

Dave19855
29-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Sorry to see a big club like Notts go down. You certainly will be the biggest club at NL level.

I'd give you an insight of NL football (we had 3 years of course) but im not sure whether it will scare or surprise you.

Whats happened to your club? How have you gone so low? I was tipping you for top 3 start of the season.

Goodluck next season but try not to be to over confident playing at that level, youd be surprised how much of a dog fight its going to be for you. For the majority of the sides it will be their cup final playing you home and away. Except for Wrexham of course who still think they are a huge club XD (think its their 12th or 13th season next year at that level).

P.s we released the warrior that is Steve McNulty today, you could do a lot worse trust me ;D He spearheaded our fight back and he never had pace ten years ago nevermind now!

meoldlaner
30-05-2019, 04:54 AM
Always good to hear the views of someone that has experienced the National League. I think we are getting the picture about how difficult it is going to be. Our demise has been a mixture of poor ownership, poor recruitment and generally mismanagement.
As for Steve McNulty being available, his lack of pace makes him a prime target for us then!
Good luck to Tranny, it must be great to be on the journey that you are on.

KintoreMagpie
30-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Had hoped this was a thread advising that Tranmere were interested in buying Enzio for £1,000,000 plus but maybe that will follow later ��.

Interesting to see how another team that Notts played in the Wembley play offs are doing very well. Brighton in the premier and Tranmere have now overcome their demons following some tough seasons. I only hope that I will be seeing Notts rise from the ashes again over the course of the next few years. I remember after the 2-0 Wembley win against Tranmere being approached by two Tramere lads of a similar age and, briefly, being somewhat wary of their intentions but they simply acknowledged that the better team had won on the day and hoped Notts would do well for the next season (and we all know how well they did). My turn to wish Tranmere well for next year and just maybe they will make the Championship via the play offs!

Frigiliana Pie 1
30-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Notts might need a defender like McNulty next season. It’s quite likely that we’ll be playing with one or more young defenders, possibly loanees, and it would be useful to have a veteran involved who can do some shouting and organise his teammates. I thought we missed that towards the end of last season, when the centre of defence consisted of Stubbs/Barclay/Bird, all of them relatively inexperienced.

Whether McNulty is the best man for the job, I’m not sure, but he’s probably worth thinking about.

Lullapie
30-05-2019, 09:04 AM
McNulty has been promoted from the Conference/National League with three different clubs (Fleetwood, Luton and Tranmere). If that isn't an omen, I don't know what is.

Notts78
30-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Really? I would hope we could get someone who is as experienced as McNulty, but we are crying out for someone who is much much more mobile.
If we start next season with a spine of McNulty and Doyle in it, it would bring a whole new meaning to (Gran)dads army.

PedroTheFisherman66
30-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Sorry to see a big club like Notts go down. You certainly will be the biggest club at NL level.

I'd give you an insight of NL football (we had 3 years of course) but im not sure whether it will scare or surprise you.

Whats happened to your club? How have you gone so low? I was tipping you for top 3 start of the season.

Goodluck next season but try not to be to over confident playing at that level, youd be surprised how much of a dog fight its going to be for you. For the majority of the sides it will be their cup final playing you home and away. Except for Wrexham of course who still think they are a huge club XD (think its their 12th or 13th season next year at that level).

P.s we released the warrior that is Steve McNulty today, you could do a lot worse trust me ;D He spearheaded our fight back and he never had pace ten years ago nevermind now!

Its a dead cert...our manager loves playing a team of old men.!
Im surprised hes not already signed.!

Dave19855
30-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Cheers for the replies fella's.

The National League will be an interesting experience for you. You'll be the big fish, just like we were. We finished top of the average attendances all three seasons down there and took plenty away regularly. However having the most fans wont guarantee you wins and you'll see plenty of clubs (some you have never heard of!) take points off you. Get ready for clubs who average 783 fans at home turn up to Meadow Lane with a very big bus, ready to park it. If I remember rightly our first season down there (2015-16) we had TEN home defeats from the 23 home matches, mostly 0-1 with Tranmere having 20 more shots on goal etc. Sides like Boreham Wood turned upto PP and ran away with a 0-2 win also. It angered me because obviously before the match your predicting a 5-0 home win against this pub side. But trust me, it doesn't work out like that. They come, put ten men behind the ball and sucker punch you. You'll see it fairly early on in the season.

Be prepared for 6 foot 5 yard dog defenders kicking lumps out of your strikers.
Be prepared to see a very poor standard of opposition and style of play. Its very rare to see a footballing side at NL level.
Be prepared to be extremely frustrated.
And be prepared for plenty of other things. Your emotions will be tested next season aswell as your sanity.

If I could say one thing though, its stick together as fans and players. Support your lads. You are were you are now and its happening. Your still Notts County FC and always will be, but for now you've hit rock bottom. After seeing Tranmere with back to back relegations in 2014 and 2015 and seeing Tranmere fighting like dogs with the likes of Boreham Wood, Welling and Solihull Moors, I really did appreciate our recent back to back promotions a lot more. The National League isn't going to be pretty for you but it just opens your eyes to what can happen to a big football club like Tranmere and Notts. Just like we did you'll have plenty of away days when you comfortably out number the home ends. You'll have plenty of crazy experiences next season and maybe a few more seasons after that. But stick together and it really does make a huge difference to the players wearing your shirt. We did it and so can you. Watch our 12th man videos of Wembley (will leave links at bottom of this post) from last season and last week. The fans. Pure emotion but together with the team, supporting them.

Im not sure your current gaffer NA (if hes still there) is the answer either. I can tell a lot of your supporters don't rate him. You need someone who can relate to the fans and the club. Our owner brought in Micky Mellon 2016 October and instantly he gelled with the fans. Hes a former player of over 250 games for us and knew the club from the off. The back to back promotions in less than 3 seasons in charge proves that.

Steve McNulty - Not saying you would go for Steve personally but youll definitely need someone of that presence. Steve moved to us from Luton because he wanted a move back up north, so Im pretty sure he wouldn't join Notts. I suppose you never know though. McNulty brought calmness, composure and massive leadership to our back line. The team was built around his dominance at the back and the team played a certain way to protect him. It worked. When we first signed him I thought the same as everyone else 'what the hell have we signed here?' How wrong I was. Hes fat and slow with grey hair, that's a given. But what he has is unreal ability to read the game and outstanding positional sense. Don't forget hes playing against strikers (NL level) who aren't as quick footballing brain wise. He would just basically stand his ground and due to his size overwhelm them. He would be in the correct position so they couldn't receive the ball. He would also win every single header without fail. He pretty much kicked us out of that league mostly in away games. He could play football on the deck too, but his main strength being heading, positional sense and leadership. He will do a job for any NL level side next season.

If you watched our game last Saturday at Wembley our centre half Nelson was being dominated by the Newport striker Matt in the air. McNulty comes on to laughs and whistles (hes used too it lol) from Newport fans. He then wins 12 headers out of 12, gets us up the pitch, Matt gets subbed, and we win 1-0 to get promoted. We score and McNulty doesn't join in the celebrations. He stands in position ready for kick off. A true pro and leader. Hes never had pace, because he doesn't need it. One step ahead.

Anyway that's me chatting on, apologies!

Goodluck next season. Its going to be a surprisingly hard one for your lot. You need certain types of players with a mixture of strength and skill. Even Norwood scored less at that level than he did in League Two. Think his tally NL level was 21-16 and 24 in his three seasons down there then 32 this season. Different levels bring different things. You wont see much football down there and youll have to have a plan B and C to nick wins.

Watch out for Fylde who are always competitive and have a great striker in Danny Rowe. Also expect Solihull to surprise you and maybe Hartlepool might wake up. Cant see Yeovil doing much. Its good that Salford and Orient went up. Theres only the ONE automatic place of course so its really difficult to get it.

All the best! (sorry for chatting on!)

Dave19855
30-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Apologies forgot to post the vids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8orFfEupgWI

Saturday just gone (link above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKhwvzCNo4

12 months ago against Boreham Wood.

'12th man' fella's. That will be you.

Hopefully you'll have moments like this!

Dave19855
30-05-2019, 08:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC46IKEKj-g

Link above is from Newport end. Watch from around 12 mins 30 seconds. Another long throw into the box from Newport headed away by McNulty, we then score around 15 seconds later. Quite a few times after the goal he heads or smacks the ball away with chants of 'Steeeeeeeveeee' from us. The usual chant from the last 3-4 seasons we've had him. Also notice him when we score, just calmly on his own walking back into the positions not getting involved in celebrations.

Theres also a video with a neutral S****horpe fan sitting in the Newport end full of praise for him. His positional sense and 'always there' is mentioned. Hope big Steve goes to a good home B)