PDA

View Full Version : O/T English fans

i961pie
06-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Why do they have to go abroad and tarnish the countries reputation once again?
And booing the opposition's national anthem is pathetic.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 07:38 PM

Yeah, whatever. Half-time, 1-0 England.

i961pie
06-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Yeah, whatever. Half-time, 1-0 England.

Oh that's ok then.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Oh that's ok then.

Shall we concentrate on the positives? Has anyone died?

navypie
06-06-2019, 07:45 PM
John Stones thinks he's Richard Duffy!

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 07:46 PM
John Stones thinks he's Richard Duffy!

He's wrong because Harry Maguire is Richard Duffy.

i961pie
06-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Did you defend Wolves fans when they attacked Notts supporters, oh no one died it doesn't matter a few of the lads letting off steam. Sad attitude.

nw6pie
06-06-2019, 07:53 PM

For a while it was fun watching England overseas, but it’s turning nasty again - assholes who drink to excess and have all the social skills of a slug. The Brexit Party on a European tour.

Oh, and we’ve been rubbish on the pitch so far but I’ll take a 1-0 with this midfield.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Totally agree. They ought to learn something from the D-Day veterans about what fighting for your country or representing your country with pride actually means.

navypie
06-06-2019, 07:55 PM
He's wrong because Harry Maguire is Richard Duffy.

Harry looks nothing like Richard.

maddogslater
06-06-2019, 08:03 PM
For a while it was fun watching England overseas, but it’s turning nasty again - assholes who drink to excess and have all the social skills of a slug. The Brexit Party on a European tour.

Oh, and we’ve been rubbish on the pitch so far but I’ll take a 1-0 with this midfield.
Where were they in Russia, cowardly scum.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Did you defend Wolves fans when they attacked Notts supporters, oh no one died it doesn't matter a few of the lads letting off steam. Sad attitude.

Have I missed something. Who have they attacked?

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Harry looks nothing like Richard.

I disagree, he has been awful.

BigFatPie
06-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Sounds like a good atmosphere in the ground. Could do with another song though.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a good atmosphere in the ground. Could do with another song though.

Thank you. England are lucky to have support like they do, given how bad they've been over the years.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Have I missed something. Who have they attacked?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48538731

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/06/england-fans-porto-violence-disgrace

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/06/fa-reacts-embarrassing-behaviour-england-fans-amid-nations-league/

I know from experience that Porto is a beautiful city and the Portuguese people are especially warm hosts, so it's particularly sad.

forwardmagpie
06-06-2019, 08:13 PM

Just out of interest how many England away games have you been to.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 08:44 PM
England aren't the finished article by any means and the Dutch are exposing one or two weaknesses, but we look after the ball much better than we used to do a few years ago. The direction of travel is definitely right and as a young team we're a work in progress.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 08:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48538731

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/06/england-fans-porto-violence-disgrace

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/06/fa-reacts-embarrassing-behaviour-england-fans-amid-nations-league/

I know from experience that Porto is a beautiful city and the Portuguese people are especially warm hosts, so it's particularly sad.

Well, yes, I can see you one that one (Porto) and raise you 5 more times, 6 in total to Porto and never to watch football. That's irrelevant, your links do not address my point. Who did they attack?

Woodsetts_Pie
06-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Portugal is a wonderful country, the Portuguese are friendly people who actually like the English. Porto is a lovely city, and as for the 2 northern towns of Guimares and Braga, they are stunning.

And then we turn up.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:00 PM

None, but he's read the Daily Mail.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Well, yes, I can see you one that one (Porto) and raise you 4 more times, 5 in total to Porto and never to watch football. That's irrelevant, your links do not address my point. Who did they attack?

"Two England fans were arrested in clashes with riot police on Wednesday night and two officers were injured. Bottles were thrown at Portuguese fans in a fans' zone as supporters watched Portugal beat Switzerland 3-1."

"Afterwards I spoke to one England fan who promised that most supporters were behaving themselves. “It’s an element,” he insisted, shaking his head. “Then again, it’s always an element.”

"And, as day veers towards night, increasingly revelling in the sort of anti-social behaviour – littering, blocking traffic, making ****er gestures at locals who object to their behaviour and so on – that causes offence but rarely leads to an arrest."

Throwing glass bottles at other people does constitute attacking them, and acting in an anti-social manner is an attack on people's right to go about their business in an orderly manner. I've seen the England (and for that matter a very small and occasional Notts County) lunatic fringe in action and that's exactly the game they play. Behave in a drunken, provocative way, looking to provoke a reaction, after which they bleat and cry foul when law enforcement is forced to act.

It is indeed a small minority and most of the tremendous England support there tonight do not deserve to be associated with them or blamed for them, but the fact remains we have a particular group of yobs and thugs who still use football as an excuse for unacceptable, illegal behaviour.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Portugal is a wonderful country, the Portuguese are friendly people who actually like the English. Porto is a lovely city, and as for the 2 northern towns of Guimares and Braga, they are stunning.

And then we turn up.

All true, but it had a fascist regime until relatively recently. Now, I'll ask again, who did England fans attack?

forwardmagpie
06-06-2019, 09:04 PM
None, but he's read the Daily Mail.

I’ve seen horrific incidents following England but the majority haven’t been by England fans.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:05 PM
They're irrelevant if you don't read them.

"Two England fans were arrested in clashes with riot police on Wednesday night and two officers were injured. Bottles were thrown at Portuguese fans in a fans' zone as supporters watched Portugal beat Switzerland 3-1."

"Afterwards I spoke to one England fan who promised that most supporters were behaving themselves. “It’s an element,” he insisted, shaking his head. “Then again, it’s always an element.”

"And, as day veers towards night, increasingly revelling in the sort of anti-social behaviour – littering, blocking traffic, making ****er gestures at locals who object to their behaviour and so on – that causes offence but rarely leads to an arrest."

Throwing glass bottles at other people does constitute attacking them, and acting in an anti-social manner is an attack on people's right to go about their business in an orderly manner. I've seen the England (and for that matter a very small Notts County) lunatic fringe in action and that's exactly the game they play. Behave in a drunken, provocative way, starting or at least looking to provoke a reaction, after which they bleat and cry foul when law enforcement is forced to act.

It is indeed a small minority and most of the tremendous England support there tonight do not deserve to be associated with them or blamed for them, but the fact remains we have a particular group of yobs and thugs who still use football as an excuse for unacceptable, illegal behaviour.

Has anyone been charged for throwing a bottle at Portuguese fans? Do you believe everything you read?

I saw Notts fans do that too, about 1976 I think.

You are part of a massive overreaction here. Just get some perspective.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Has anyone been charged for throwing a bottle at Portuguese fans? Do you believe everything you read?

I saw Notts fans do that too, about 1976 I think.

You are part of a massive overreaction here. Just get some perspective.

I'm not quite sure how saying the vast majority of English fans are great but we do have a nasty hooligan minority is an overreaction. I'd say that's a fair description supported by the news we read, the pictures we see and our own personal experience.

It's true nobody has been charged yet (to my knowledge), but things in Portugal do tend to move at a leisurely pace so I'm sure their legal system is no different.

Of course, it's possible that the bottles simply weren't thrown and that the attacks on the Portuguese fanzone were a figment of the imagination of the Portuguese Police, who were just looking for any excuse to launch a baton charge at a peaceful group of English social drinkers (maybe in revenge for Brexit eh?). Perhaps the journalists from left and right wing (quality) papers and the BBC decided to get together and fake the trouble just to give themselves something to report.

BigFatPie
06-06-2019, 09:22 PM
I wonder if the lads will be hanging about for the big 3rd/4th place playoff on Sunday.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:23 PM
I'm not quite sure how saying the vast majority of English fans are great but we do have a nasty hooligan minority is an overreaction. I'd say that's a fair description supported by the news we read, the pictures we see and our own personal experience.

It's true nobody has been charged yet (to my knowledge), but things in Portugal do tend to move at a leisurely pace so I'm sure their legal system is no different. Of course, it's possible that the bottles simply weren't thrown and that the attacks on the Portuguese fanzone were a figment of the imagination of the Portuguese Police, who were just looking for any excuse to launch a baton charge at a peaceful group of social drinkers. Perhaps the journalists from left and right wing papers and the BBC decided to get together and fake the events just to give themselves something to do.

It's possible that fans in other countries currenty have a massive hooligan problem (eg Italy) and we have a minor one in comparison involving some drunken disorder. Ajax fans in London recently caused absolute havoc. Were you foaming at the mouth about that?

Anyway, we've lost now and go home so you should be happy.

nw6pie
06-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Meanwhile, on the pitch we have given a good impression of the Notts team. A couple of decent moves but otherwise second best. Stones, Maguire and Walker always had a mistake in them - and it turns out Stones had quite a few. Would have been nice to get to a final at last, but we’ll need better players than many of those on show tonight. That disallowed VAR goal feels a long time ago.

forwardmagpie
06-06-2019, 09:30 PM

It's true nobody has been charged yet (to my knowledge), but things in Portugal do tend to move at a leisurely pace so I'm sure their legal system is no different. Of course, it's possible that the bottles simply weren't thrown and that the attacks on the Portuguese fanzone were a figment of the imagination of the Portuguese Police, who were just looking for any excuse to launch a baton charge at a peaceful group of social drinkers (maybe in revenge for Brexit eh?). Perhaps the journalists from left and right wing (quality) papers and the BBC decided to get together and fake the trouble just to give themselves something to report.

France 98 I personally saw in Marseille a white van driven by Tunisian fans (the flags gave it away) leave the road and drive into a group of England fans throwing people everywhere. We stopped our car and went to see if we could help the injured people with lots of claret and broken limbs, you didn’t read about in the papers, no neither did I.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Meanwhile, on the pitch we have given a good impression of the Notts team. A couple of decent moves but otherwise second best. Stones, Maguire and Walker always had a mistake in them - and it turns out Stones had quite a few. Would have been nice to get to a final at last, but we’ll need better players than many of those on show tonight. That disallowed VAR goal feels a long time ago.

At last, football has broken out. Do you think we were better with Rashford up front, or Kane? Maybe it doesn't matter with Delph in midfield. On a positive note, Sancho looked good. Better than Sterling in fact.

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:36 PM
France 98 I personally saw in Marseille a white van driven by Tunisian fans (the flags gave it away) leave the road and drive into a group of England fans throwing people everywhere. We stopped our car and went to see if we could help the injured people with lots of claret and broken limbs, you didn’t read about in the papers, no neither did I.

You say you personally saw it, but was it in the quality papers (left and right)?

I tell you what, this slagging off of our own country makes me sick, and done in a superior manner too. People in Europe will probably be slagging our fans off far less than the gutter and so called quality press in England, you can guarantee that.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 09:38 PM
It's possible that fans in other countries currenty have a massive hooligan problem (eg Italy) and we have a minor one in comparison involving some drunken disorder. Ajax fans in London recently caused absolute havoc. Were you foaming at the mouth about that?

Anyway, we've lost now and go home so you should be happy.

The Dutch have a significant hooligan problem and I make no more excuse for them than I do for us. Hooliganism is wrong wherever it occurs and whoever is doing it, but I'm English, and therefore English hooliganism is my primary concern. I don't want to see our country or the sport I love embarrassed by a small group of idiots, and I refuse to be an apologist for them or to pretend it isn't happening.

The fact that you're almost trying to cast me as anti-English or not an English football fan is absurd. In other threads, people like me who voted for Brexit and are willing to accept No Deal are being implicitly described as frustrated colonialists or even white supremacist sympathisers!

I know it's called Notts 'MAD', but honestly, a guy can change threads on this messageboard and go from being condemned as a nationalist to being written off as an enemy of the state (or the England football team at least)! XD

Bohinen
06-06-2019, 09:42 PM
The Dutch have a significant hooligan problem and I make no more excuse for them than I do for us. Hooliganism is wrong wherever it occurs and whoever is doing it, but I'm English, and therefore English hooliganism is therefore my primary concern. I don't want to see our country or the sport I love embarrassed by a small group of idiots.

The fact that you're almost trying to cast me as anti-English or not an English football fan is absurd. In other threads, people like me who voted for Brexit and are willing to accept No Deal are being implicitly described as frustrated colonialists or even white supremacists.

A guy can change threads on this board and go from being condemned as a nationalist to being written off as an enemy of the state! XD

Whatever, it's just so easy to jump on the English fans are the worst bandwagon. I don't like hooliganism any more than you, but England fans' repuation from the 80s is proving very hard to shake off. There are far worse offenders than us aroung these days. Let's keep it in perspective.

nw6pie
06-06-2019, 09:43 PM
At last, football has broken out. Do you think we were better with Rashford up front, or Kane? Maybe it doesn't matter with Delph in midfield. On a positive note, Sancho looked good. Better than Sterling in fact.

As ever, we struggled against a good team who keep the ball well. If the Dutch had someone like Kane up front they’d be a very good side.

Tonight felt like Croatia last July all over again. We play too deep, give the ball away cheaply and still look woefully short in midfield. We had two terrific moves where we played through the lines (the Rashford chance and the offside goal), but otherwise struggled in open play. Only players who impressed me tonight were Chilwell, Rice and Sancho - but the best players all wore orange.

I look forward to seeing how we get on at the Euro under 21s next week, because I naively think we’ve got a chance of winning it. (Mind you, I thought the same about the Nations League.)

drillerpie
06-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Bizarre attitude to take.

On the pitch a strange match. I thought we were lucky to be in front and a few times Holland didn't exploit situations as you'd expect a top team to. Depay could've had a hat trick in normal time.

Can't be too harsh on England with all the changes and I think we have the makings of a decent team but I worry with us building the defence around Stones - he's talented but he's always got a mistake in him, he's not really young any more and needs to sort himself out before he becomes a £50m Titus Bramble.

jackal2
06-06-2019, 09:55 PM

I don't doubt there are such incidents and actually I remember a far more recent one (also in Marseille I seem to recall) where English fans were initially accused of having running battles with Russian fans, but it then became clear the English were very much the victims on that occasion and they were fighting in self-defence or to get away. I'm not in the business of wanting to put loyal English football fans down, but likewise, where there actually is thuggish or anti-social behaviour caused by an English minority, we should acknowledge and condemn it.

drillerpie
06-06-2019, 10:09 PM
I don't doubt there are such incidents and actually I remember a far more recent one (also in Marseille I seem to recall) where English fans were initially accused of having running battles with Russian fans, but it then became clear the English were very much the victims on that occasion and they were fighting in self-defence or to get away. I'm not in the business of wanting to put loyal English football fans down, but likewise, where there actually is thuggish or anti-social behaviour caused by an English minority, we should acknowledge and condemn it.

Sensible.

forwardmagpie
06-06-2019, 10:11 PM

Agreed

slack_pie
07-06-2019, 04:12 AM
Whatever, it's just so easy to jump on the English fans are the worst bandwagon. I don't like hooliganism any more than you, but England fans' repuation from the 80s is proving very hard to shake off. There are far worse offenders than us aroung these days. Let's keep it in perspective.

I agree that other nations also cause trouble on the road, but England fans have their own particular flavour of ****tishness. And it's not just when following the national team - here in Prague, English tourists on stag dos or piss-ups are pretty notorious. In fact, you can spot them a mile off, long before you hear them speak, as they're usually wasted by midday and dressed up as giant inflatable cocks or similar.

You have to admit that our nation has a particularly unhealthy drinking culture. I know other countries technically drink more, like the Czech Rep or France, but you never see the loutish, aggressive, destructive behaviour that you get in the UK on a Friday night. I wonder where it comes from.

navypie
07-06-2019, 05:27 AM
All true, but it had a fascist regime until relatively recently. Now, I'll ask again, who did England fans attack?

Not too sure what that's got anything to do with it anyway, but I think your idea of
"recently" is very different to mine.

i961pie
07-06-2019, 07:17 AM

Just out of interest what the hell has that got to do with what happened inPortugal?

navypie
07-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Just out of interest what the hell has that got to do with what happened inPortugal?

I couldn't see the relevance either.

Old_pie
07-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Nothing new about careless errors costing us dearly, even the venerable Sir Bobby Moore had his moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHq0Zo4aBk

Though England had had enough warnings in normal time that they should try to stay awake.

Bohinen
07-06-2019, 10:39 AM
I have to apologise to Jackal, I have now found evidence of a violent scumbag attacking people in Portugal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7115545/Shocking-moment-Tommy-Robinson-punches-England-fan-floor-outside-Nations-League-game.html

Step forward, Mr Yaxley Lennon.

upthemaggies
07-06-2019, 10:47 AM
I wonder how long it will be before this 'Nations League' is expanded into a proper tournament of two groups of 4? The Euros was originally a semi finals, 3rd place and final deal until 1976, I think Confederations Cup was as well. It was an enjoyable game, mistakes add to the excitement. The amount of time they took over the VAR offside though was crazy.

forwardmagpie
07-06-2019, 11:13 AM

If you have actually been to games you might know more about some of what actually happens rather than just the media’s version.

navypie
07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
I have to apologise to Jackal, I have now found evidence of a violent scumbag attacking people in Portugal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7115545/Shocking-moment-Tommy-Robinson-punches-England-fan-floor-outside-Nations-League-game.html

Thanks for your subscription with us.

navypie
07-06-2019, 11:59 AM
If you have actually been to games you might know more about some of what actually happens rather than just the media’s version.

I haven't been to an England away game for years but still attend home games regularly. Over here the fans, on the whole, behave really well but when we go abroad some change from Mr Quanity Surveyor into something completely different. Sometimes the local police or indeed the locals, haven't helped but in my experience(s) it's been the action of a few that tarnish our reputation. Out of interest, do you go to England games?

navypie
07-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your subscription with us.

Oops, missed 'sharing'.

drillerpie
07-06-2019, 01:33 PM

What a Koch.

forwardmagpie
07-06-2019, 04:05 PM
I haven't been to an England away game for years but still attend home games regularly. Over here the fans, on the whole, behave really well but when we go abroad some change from Mr Quanity Surveyor into something completely different. Sometimes the local police or indeed the locals, haven't helped but in my experience(s) it's been the action of a few that tarnish our reputation. Out of interest, do you go to England games?

I used to Navy (World cups and Euros with the odd friendly thrown in and most home games including all in Euro 96) but I’m too long in the tooth these days.

I used to really enjoy it but as a non hooligan both the behaviour of some of our fans and the way all fans were treated by both local police and other supporters ended my interest.

forwardmagpie
07-06-2019, 04:06 PM
What a Koch.

Seconded

drillerpie
07-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Seconded

That was also a cheeky reference to where he gets his money from.

forwardmagpie
07-06-2019, 04:24 PM
That was also a cheeky reference to where he gets his money from.

Charlie boy 😊

navypie
07-06-2019, 04:30 PM
I used to Navy (World cups and Euros with the odd friendly thrown in and most home games including all in Euro 96) but I’m too long in the tooth these days.

I used to really enjoy it but as a non hooligan both the behaviour of some of our fans and the way all fans were treated by both local police and other supporters ended my interest.

The worst police by far I have ever come across were the Italians at Italia 90. They were worse than any hooligans I have ever seen.

Mad-Dog
07-06-2019, 04:39 PM
I have been to a fair few England away matches over recent years including the qualifiers for the Russian World Cup and the Word Cup itself (which was an amazing experience from start to finish, including even the 3rd Place Playoff in St Petersburg).

This has taken me to a real variety of away matches. The lowest ebb probably being away to Malta as far as fan support is concerned and the best being the moment we went 1-0 up in the Moscow semi. But the two games against Scotland were also good believe it or not.

I also attend the home matches to boost my caps for tournaments but they are a very different beast and the atmosphere is still a long way from where it needs to establish a club-like mentality for England games.

I would never involve myself in any kind of anti-social behaviour. I couldn’t be doing with any of that. Have to say that on the whole the England fans are decent. I’ve seen the authorities over-react to England fans on occasion such as riot police move on England fans in Slovakia simply for congregating and singing which seemed a bit daft to me. I’ve seen verbal abuse of English fans in the train station in Glasgow. I have not seen England fans being particularly out of order on the whole and I honestly feel that they travel well and support a team which has been habitually awful with impressive enthusiasm.

It’s my opinion that the media make a good story of any incidents bez it fits with their sensationalist agenda. The reality is often (not always) quite different. If you live your life based on what the British Media talk you then you will struggle to understand much of the world or even your own country. Pinch of salt...

jackal2
07-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Tommy Robinson is a nasty piece of work and unfortunately does personify that football thug culture to an extent. UKIP were mad to associate with him. I've no doubt it helped a whole bunch of solid right-wing (as opposed to extreme right-wing) voters decide to decamp from UKIP to the Brexit Party.

forwardmagpie
07-06-2019, 04:42 PM
The worst police by far I have ever come across were the Italians at Italia 90. They were worse than any hooligans I have ever seen.

Italian police were even heavy handed when we played Ancona - Mc Sweeeeeegan

navypie
07-06-2019, 04:52 PM
I have been to a fair few England away matches over recent years including the qualifiers for the Russian World Cup and the Word Cup itself (which was an amazing experience from start to finish, including even the 3rd Place Playoff in St Petersburg).

This has taken me to a real variety of away matches. The lowest ebb probably being away to Malta as far as fan support is concerned and the best being the moment we went 1-0 up in the Moscow semi. But the two games against Scotland were also good believe it or not.

I also attend the home matches to boost my caps for tournaments but they are a very different beast and the atmosphere is still a long way from where it needs to establish a club-like mentality for England games.

I would never involve myself in any kind of anti-social behaviour. I couldn’t be doing with any of that. Have to say that on the whole the England fans are decent. I’ve seen the authorities over-react to England fans on occasion such as riot police move on England fans in Slovakia simply for congregating and singing which seemed a bit daft to me. I’ve seen verbal abuse of English fans in the train station in Glasgow. I have not seen England fans being particularly out of order on the whole and I honestly feel that they travel well and support a team which has been habitually awful with impressive enthusiasm.

It’s my opinion that the media make a good story of any incidents bez it fits with their sensationalist agenda. The reality is often (not always) quite different. If you live your life based on what the British Media talk you then you will struggle to understand much of the world or even your own country. Pinch of salt...

I doff my cap to you, Sir. When my lad leaves school in a couple of years, I'm hoping to start following England abroad again.

drillerpie
07-06-2019, 04:55 PM

It's said that he Roman police have waiting lists to work when English clubs play there, because so many of them want to police those games, which kind of tells it's own story.

For anyone who's interested in the excesses of the Italian police I'd also recommend looking into the case of Stefano Cucchi (small time drug dealer arrested and essentially tortured to death in custody) and the videos of the policing of the G8 protests in Genoa after PM at the time Berlusconi reportedly told the head of the police "today there are no rules" with middle aged female protestors being hit repeatedly with night sticks while prone on the floor, visibly pregnant women beaten by riot police while sleeping amongst many, many other examples.

The films 'On My Skin' and 'Diaz - Don't Clean the Blood' cover the two events respectively, plus there are photos and footage available in news reports and on YouTube, and I should probably point out that neither are for the faint hearted.

navypie
07-06-2019, 05:15 PM
It's said that he Roman police have waiting lists to work when English clubs play there, because so many of them want to police those games, which kind of tells it's own story.

For anyone who's interested in the excesses of the Italian police I'd also recommend looking into the case of Stefano Cucchi (small time drug dealer arrested and essentially tortured to death in custody) and the videos of the policing of the G8 protests in Genoa after PM at the time Berlusconi reportedly told the head of the police "today there are no rules" with middle aged female protestors being hit repeatedly with night sticks while prone on the floor, visibly pregnant women beaten by riot police while sleeping amongst many, many other examples.

The films 'On My Skin' and 'Diaz - Don't Clean the Blood' cover the two events respectively, plus there are photos and footage available in news reports and on YouTube, and I should probably point out that neither are for the faint hearted.

I was at the Quarter Final against Cameroon. The police were searching all the England fans and basically stealing from them. Unbelievable but true. I remember one lad who was told he couldn't take his watch into the ground. In the end, he took it off and threw it as far as he could.

i961pie
07-06-2019, 08:30 PM

It is not at the games where most of the trouble happens it is before at the pubs/ bars etc. Being at the game as you put it would make no difference. You can see it with your own eyes on tv or is that stage managed by the media also.
You also don't have to be at the game to hear the moronic booing of another countries anthem.

forwardmagpie
08-06-2019, 06:05 AM
It is not at the games where most of the trouble happens it is before at the pubs/ bars etc. Being at the game as you put it would make no difference. You can see it with your own eyes on tv or is that stage managed by the media also.
You also don't have to be at the game to hear the moronic booing of another countries anthem.

Strangely when you go to away games you actually often go to pubs/bars etc and around the place where the games are played. I’m not defending morons but sometimes a non media context can show how other non morons are treated.

I must admit I have occasionally booed an anthem 😟 lock me up now!

I have never heard other fans boo our anthem 😏

i961pie
08-06-2019, 06:49 AM
Whatever turns you on.

ForeignLegion
08-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Strangely when you go to away games you actually often go to pubs/bars etc and around the place where the games are played. I’m not defending morons but sometimes a non media context can show how other non morons are treated.

I must admit I have occasionally booed an anthem �� lock me up now!

I have never heard other fans boo our anthem ��

The perils of alcohol for breakfast.

forwardmagpie
08-06-2019, 07:26 AM
The perils of alcohol for breakfast.

I would stop if I was you then.

navypie
08-06-2019, 07:46 AM

I must admit I have occasionally booed an anthem �� lock me up now!

I have never heard other fans boo our anthem ��

I only ever boo someone else's anthem when I'm sat in my living room, the booing goes up a few notches for Flower Of Scotland.