PDA

View Full Version : Howay lads Geordies used to be fair.

sherwoodmag
19-07-2019, 07:49 AM
I was in a cheerful mood this morning until I read the Steve Bruce thread.

Rafa has gone.

Ashley is still here and we want him gone but slagging off our new manager is not going to change things.

I won't go back to SJP until Ashley is gone but I won't slag off Bruce unless he deserves it.I used to live in the same area as his family and although I don't know him personally I used to drink in the Howdon Labour club sometimes the same as his dad.
His dad was a staunch Toon fan even when his son was winning trophies with Man U. that is why Bruce took the job even though he knew it could be a poison chalice.

Hate Ashley all you like but just give Bruce a chance it's the right thing to do.

HughieG
19-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Bruce seems full of it to me.

Having said that, I don't have a big problem with him. Yet going from Rafa to him is very symbolic for how the club is run.

Curian
19-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Did you read the article where Alan Shearer said as his mate they went for a meal and Bruce asked him about the job. Shearer said emphatically do not touch it, no no no. He ignored his advice! Last chance saloon and without the right number and quality of signings he knows he is walking into a bear pit.

Everyone gets a chance but as long as Ashely gets the fans and the manager he wants we are lumbered with him for the foreseeable future. Bruce has shown no football political acumen. The force of feeling after Rafa and the selling of and none renewal of our two top goal scorers plus the bull about the alleged takeover means he knows what he is walking into...a toxic atmosphere..his choice but no bunting will be hung out by me for him. He has a big point to prove and quickly if he wants to gain any real support.

Zippity
19-07-2019, 09:17 AM
This is the thing...I've had mates who support other clubs having a go saying that we're throwing our toys out the pram just because we don't like Steve Bruce, particularly because of his mackem connections.

ffs, they just don't get it. It's nowt to do with his past connections..although, admittedly, that won't help when it all goes tits up, which it will-it's to do with why we've employed him. a cheap, 11th choice, 3rd rate, second-class manager replacing a world-class, first rate manager.

Scott Kirkland
19-07-2019, 09:37 AM
Bruce out and take Ashley with him

ex_pat_magpie
19-07-2019, 10:29 AM
This is the thing...I've had mates who support other clubs having a go saying that we're throwing our toys out the pram just because we don't like Steve Bruce, particularly because of his mackem connections.

ffs, they just don't get it. It's nowt to do with his past connections..although, admittedly, that won't help when it all goes tits up, which it will-it's to do with why we've employed him. a cheap, 11th choice, 3rd rate, second-class manager replacing a world-class, first rate manager.

There's just no reply to that.

Zippity
19-07-2019, 10:31 AM
To address the OP, though...I do think he'll be given a chance.

The problem is that he hasn't got any leeway in terms of good will given the circumstances under which he took the job. Regardless of whether or not you'd expect someone in his position to take the job, the fact is that he's taken it under Ashley's terms so he's an 'Ashley man' which instantly puts him at odds with the vast majority of the fanbase (who are, imo, largely united against Ashley but terribly divided about what exactly to do-if anything- about it. )

Fans' patience has been stretched to-and beyond in many case-breaking point so this 'chance' he'll be given will be nowhere near that which it might be ordinarily. Not that the term 'ordinary' can ever be applied to this absolute ****ing shambles of a club.

Sclox
19-07-2019, 11:02 AM
I was in a cheerful mood this morning until I read the Steve Bruce thread.

Rafa has gone.

Ashley is still here and we want him gone but slagging off our new manager is not going to change things.

I won't go back to SJP until Ashley is gone but I won't slag off Bruce unless he deserves it.I used to live in the same area as his family and although I don't know him personally I used to drink in the Howdon Labour club sometimes the same as his dad.
His dad was a staunch Toon fan even when his son was winning trophies with Man U. that is why Bruce took the job even though he knew it could be a poison chalice.

Hate Ashley all you like but just give Bruce a chance it's the right thing to do.

Due respect to you Sherwood, but no, not for me - this is what Ashley wants us to do be goos children and just accept tge status quo. He defied advice to take the job so fk him along with Ashley.

I dont even see Bruce as a manager tbh, see him like I see Trumps vice presdent - a gimp in there to toe the line and play second fiddle and be a good boy.

Nothing against Bruce. I would feel exactly the same about anyone who took the job with their eyes wide open.

Bruce should be too old a cat to be fked by a kitten, so he must be complicit in it.

Going to say no more about the situation now. You all know my position by now and I feel like I am doing nothing but spew negativity at the moment. Reflecting what I see if you like.

HughieG
19-07-2019, 11:20 AM
I think we all understand where you're coming from Sherwood, I know I can. I don't find it easy to slag off someone who's been in the job for one day - and it's a tough job. I even gave McClaren a fair chance as it looked like Ashley had decided to at least let Carr/Stcheve spend some money on building a decent team at that point. Doesn't mean I actually believed he would be successful, but I could've been proven wrong.

Bruce starts with a deficit on the trust account for me - but just like everyone else, he will definitely get the credit he deserves if he manages to do something positive with the team, no doubt. Even so, I still want Ashley out.

usedtobeshearer
19-07-2019, 11:21 AM
You are right, Sherwoodmag.

It's very hard but we need to find some way of separating the Ashley issue (obviously he's still not getting a penny off me and needs to p1ss off asap).

Bruce was nobodies first choice but he and any new signings need to start from scratch and be allowed the opportunity to prove themselves.

It's pre-season...can we not get back to discussing transfer rumours, formations etc?

HughieG
19-07-2019, 11:22 AM

It's very hard but we need to find some way of separating the Ashley issue (obviously he's still not getting a penny off me and needs to p1ss off asap).

Bruce was nobodies first choice but he and any new signings need to start from scratch and be allowed the opportunity to prove themselves.

It's pre-season...can we not get back to discussing transfer rumours, formations etc?

Good point, mate.

ranat22
19-07-2019, 01:33 PM
If you have a £700 season ticket and bought a new £60 top you would have to be a special kinda stupid to be slagging bruce off

Aim your ammo at the fat bastad owner,or just accept you will accept any old sh1t because you want to go to the games!

Zippity
19-07-2019, 03:41 PM
If you have a £700 season ticket and bought a new £60 top you would have to be a special kinda stupid to be slagging bruce off

Aim your ammo at the fat bastad owner,or just accept you will accept any old sh1t because you want to go to the games!

The atmosphere will be back to toxic almost straight away. By the end of the season there were hardly any negative chants as everyone rallied behind Rafa. The way he unified the fan base* which, in turn, led to a far more supportive and positive atmosphere in which the fat slug got a far, far easier ride than he should have done, has been underestimated by fatso. With no Rafa to focus on, the anti-Ashley chants will be back.

...which leads me to my * caveat: fans put aside their differences of opinion on how to deal with the whole Ashley thing and focused on supporting the team. The problem was the vocal minority of 'uber-fans'...the ones who booed the likes of you, Ranat, who came in on the 11th minute or who sang their own version of the 'fat, cockney *******' song with the new lyrics targeting our own fans, ffs! These 'uber-arseholes think they're better fans than everyone else and will still, obviously, be there, throwing abuse at anyone who dares to step out of line from the 'support the team not the regime' rubric. With Rafa gone and, therefore, the positive focus (it's not looking like the team will provide it, is it?), the chants will restart and I predict things will get ugly in the stands pretty soon. Always happens in a relegation season-the tension and pressure which builds over the months always leads to in-fighting in the stands; the problem is, this tension and pressure will be there from the beginning of the season this time round.

Gonna get nasty.

Curian
19-07-2019, 03:42 PM
To lift the gloom a little!

Steve Bruce is back at his boyhood club and, oh boy, the circumstances couldn’t be much worse. Players are leaving, the fans are furious and He Who Must Not Be Named is still at the helm. The critics may be out in full force but don’t let that get you down, Steve. To help you (and the Newcastle faithful), here are 9 managers who made the critics look stupid. Brucey’s back in town but he has a helluva lot of work to do. https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/9-managers-who-made-critics-look-stupid#V39RDqOzkWGfhQHy.99

Kal
19-07-2019, 08:29 PM
He's a fraud like his boss.

ranat22
19-07-2019, 09:01 PM
The atmosphere will be back to toxic almost straight away. By the end of the season there were hardly any negative chants as everyone rallied behind Rafa. The way he unified the fan base* which, in turn, led to a far more supportive and positive atmosphere in which the fat slug got a far, far easier ride than he should have done, has been underestimated by fatso. With no Rafa to focus on, the anti-Ashley chants will be back.

...which leads me to my * caveat: fans put aside their differences of opinion on how to deal with the whole Ashley thing and focused on supporting the team. The problem was the vocal minority of 'uber-fans'...the ones who booed the likes of you, Ranat, who came in on the 11th minute or who sang their own version of the 'fat, cockney *******' song with the new lyrics targeting our own fans, ffs! These 'uber-arseholes think they're better fans than everyone else and will still, obviously, be there, throwing abuse at anyone who dares to step out of line from the 'support the team not the regime' rubric. With Rafa gone and, therefore, the positive focus (it's not looking like the team will provide it, is it?), the chants will restart and I predict things will get ugly in the stands pretty soon. Always happens in a relegation season-the tension and pressure which builds over the months always leads to in-fighting in the stands; the problem is, this tension and pressure will be there from the beginning of the season this time round.

Gonna get nasty.

Everyone knows where to hit Ashley where it hurts,Singing anti Ashley stuff after you have spent a fortune on the more expensive ST and replica top is like attending a cruelty to animals protest with a mink fur jacket on.

If there is a decent amount spent,and a few early results the ‘support the team not the rashiem( spelling) narrative will be back

Pity the sheep out number the fans who know what is needed to rid our club of a sh1thouse

toptoon
19-07-2019, 09:25 PM

The problem is that you cannot separate the team and Bruce from Ashley - they are all entwined. The club is not ours anymore - it is Mike Ashley. The question is whether enough of us realize it and are prepared to do something about it.

There is no team without the regime and, as said, I don’t want to hear any anti-Ashley chants in the ground this season. If you're there, you are supporting him and helping to make sure he stays there.

TheOtherTerryMac
19-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Any manager who after a meeting with Ashley and can state that he is straightforward and honest can phuck right off in my book

He is an Ashley puppet

nodge75
20-07-2019, 01:38 AM
Bruce is a Geordie. How many of us supporters would give up the chance of doing what he's doing? If you can't do any better then don't criticise. It's that simple.
If you want to vote by staying away then I agree ya right. But, if you want to go to games despite Al this then get behind him and the team. The negativity should come from numbers at the minute, not mouths. Yes you have the right to shout. But even if we bought half of Brazil some daft ****s would still shout because that's their mentality. So be it. Diversity and all that.
But please, beyond all this, have some pride. Bruce won a lot of stuff by being solid with talent. He was a rock. And this is a dream come true for him, he's actuly one of us.
Back the ****er. Give him his time. Remember Perchinio? Hated but came good. Perez? Etc etc.

ghostrider
20-07-2019, 05:57 AM
Bruce is a Geordie. How many of us supporters would give up the chance of doing what he's doing? If you can't do any better then don't criticise. It's that simple.
If you want to vote by staying away then I agree ya right. But, if you want to go to games despite Al this then get behind him and the team. The negativity should come from numbers at the minute, not mouths. Yes you have the right to shout. But even if we bought half of Brazil some daft ****s would still shout because that's their mentality. So be it. Diversity and all that.
But please, beyond all this, have some pride. Bruce won a lot of stuff by being solid with talent. He was a rock. And this is a dream come true for him, he's actuly one of us.
Back the ****er. Give him his time. Remember Perchinio? Hated but came good. Perez? Etc etc.

BRAVO. A cracking post.

toptoon
20-07-2019, 06:49 AM

Didn't he once claim that Newcastle was not his dream job? 'One of us' but takes the job in these circumstances and after being strongly advised by Shearer not to?

He's gone for the money and a last chance to breathe life into an ailing career as a manger (former playing days have nothing to do with it).

Derek57
20-07-2019, 08:51 AM
He's just a puppet, saying all the right things at the right time might fool some of the people, however his premier record and ability will be his own undoing.
He can't say he wasn't warned or knows what to expect.
I will be amazed if Joelinton gets here, it's just another smokescreen. Fatso wouldn't spend that type of money on multiple players let alone one. There will be reason why we couldn't get it across the line and we will end up with a couple of loanies, free or low cost players.

usedtobeshearer
20-07-2019, 09:16 AM
Didn't he once claim that Newcastle was not his dream job? 'One of us' but takes the job in these circumstances and after being strongly advised by Shearer not to?

He's gone for the money and a last chance to breathe life into an ailing career as a manger (former playing days have nothing to do with it).

In his defence, he was just being professional as he was being employed by another club....what he has said in the past really doesn't bother me, just what he does now he's at my club.

ghostrider
20-07-2019, 09:50 AM
In his defence, he was just being professional as he was being employed by another club....what he has said in the past really doesn't bother me, just what he does now he's at my club.

And that's all you can ask and hope for.

Sclox
20-07-2019, 10:40 AM

So we ignore 20 odd years of treasonous behaviour and an obvious shiit poor management record and hope for the best then?

usedtobeshearer
20-07-2019, 10:54 AM
So we ignore 20 odd years of treasonous behaviour and an obvious shiit poor management record and hope for the best then?
That's up to you.

I didn't like previous managers such as Mcbrolly, Souness and Allardyce but I gave them a chance...sadly they proved me right.

I was happy when Dalglish and Gullit...and I was proven wrong.

Ashley had his chance and continually let me down for the last 12 years...Bruce deserves his chance.

nodge75
20-07-2019, 11:05 AM
So you put this 20 odd years of so called treasonous behaviour into reality and do what? Hound him? Boo him? He's done **** all wrong as far as I can see, other than manage Sunderland.
And as discussed on this board many many years ago, who here wouldn't take that job for £20k a week? You'd be ****ing stupid not to, despite who you support.

And remember, nobody at Leicester wanted that has been Ranieri when he was appointed.

Give him a chance. Give him enough rope to hang himself. As with anybody. Surely that's the way to do this?

HughieG
20-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Haha. What a load of cr@p. If you can't do it better then don't criticize? Haha. Let's not say Colback is sh!t - none of us can do any better. Thanks for the laugh.

Scott Kirkland
20-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Mike Ashley gets jealous of a manager if they become popular with the fans. He is a real bitch, Chris Houghton, Rafa, Two of the most popular managers we have had, Ashley hated it and got rid. I think he likes the fans hating a manager so he feels slightly less hated.

usedtobeshearer
20-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Mike Ashley gets jealous of a manager if they become popular with the fans. He is a real bitch, Chris Houghton, Rafa, Two of the most popular managers we have had, Ashley hated it and got rid. I think he likes the fans hating a manager so he feels slightly less hated.

It gives him a buffer.

toptoon
20-07-2019, 02:25 PM
So you put this 20 odd years of so called treasonous behaviour into reality and do what? Hound him? Boo him? He's done **** all wrong as far as I can see, other than manage Sunderland.
And as discussed on this board many many years ago, who here wouldn't take that job for £20k a week? You'd be ****ing stupid not to, despite who you support.

And remember, nobody at Leicester wanted that has been Ranieri when he was appointed.

Give him a chance. Give him enough rope to hang himself. As with anybody. Surely that's the way to do this?

Glad we’re agreed he’s just doing it for the money, then. That being the case I think I’ll give the ‘let’s get behind him cos he’s a Geordie’ speech a miss.

Kal
20-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Bruce will do what Ashley expects all his employees to do. He doesn't think a manager of a football club is any different to a manager of a store. They are ALL employees and HE is the boss, Rafa, Keegan thought different (as they should) and they are history!

Bruce will kiss ass.

Curian
20-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Well I suppose the point is as Kal said Ashely is the boss, kick against him and your eventually out. We seem to keep going around in circles here. Nothing new move on.

Most of us want Ashley out and there are dedicated sectors trying to force a change but unless the fat man sings we are stuck . Having a go at Bruce, whilst understandable, is probably pointless. Supporting the team, who some see Bruce as; so far so good (e.g Shelvey, Lascelles etc) is our only option unless you boycott the lot. If you prefer to boycott the lot then no point getting into a circular argument.

I see that we are starting to tear into each other on the forum, keyboard warrior stuff through frustration. This only equates to a no win scenario! It is a Newcastle forum and as much as I want a change of ownership, as much as most, until it happens(!) lets talk football. That's my new tenpennth worth for what it is worth - not a lot but hey.

bib60
20-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Well said.

TheOtherTerryMac
20-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Well I suppose the point is as Kal said Ashely is the boss, kick against him and your eventually out. We seem to keep going around in circles here. Nothing new move on.

Most of us want Ashley out and there are dedicated sectors trying to force a change but unless the fat man sings we are stuck . Having a go at Bruce, whilst understandable, is probably pointless. Supporting the team, who some see Bruce as; so far so good (e.g Shelvey, Lascelles etc) is our only option unless you boycott the lot. If you prefer to boycott the lot then no point getting into a circular argument.

I see that we are starting to tear into each other on the forum, keyboard warrior stuff through frustration. This only equates to a no win scenario! It is a Newcastle forum and as much as I want a change of ownership, as much as most, until it happens(!) lets talk football. That's my new tenpennth worth for what it is worth - not a lot but hey.

Ashley is going nowhere and why should he The Toon are making him a fortune for very little outlay

Every year we hear the same crap that the Club is being sold and everyone knows there’s no chance whatsoever

Nothing against Bruce but if your apparently 11th choice manager then you just have to suck up to Ashley and take the shyte he dishes out to you

I just think in my life all the people that are still alive because I can’t afford a hit man

Zippity
20-07-2019, 06:23 PM
see that we are starting to tear into each other on the forum, keyboard warrior stuff through frustration. This only equates to a no win scenario! It is a Newcastle forum and as much as I want a change of ownership, as much as most, until it happens(!) lets talk football. That's my new tenpennth worth for what it is worth - not a lot but hey.

Aye...that's a good point, man. We don't want to be falling out with each other.

Sclox
20-07-2019, 06:40 PM

Fk me Nodge.

He has managed 3 sets of derby rivals. Seems a treacherous mercenary cnt to me.

Managed 8 games for Wigan, 15 for Palace, 18 for Wednesday - in fact he seems to change jobs more quickly than Ashley eats a kebab.

Like I say, my hate is for Ashley not Bruce but wont be standing cheering him either.

Sclox
20-07-2019, 06:46 PM

Seriously, did I just read you comparing the title winning Leicester squad with ours there?

And Raneiri with Bruce?

Geordie1974
21-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Bruce can phuck off as far as I'm concerned.He has climbed into bed with Ashley as he knew the score before coming.As for the interview I have just seen where he is on about Longstaff and the Man U rumours,referring to Man U as United.He can phuck off for that as well.No true Newcastle fan would call them United.You work for United you squashed heeded hippo.The only United.Newcastle United.

Zippity
21-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Stan Collymore (****er) actually put it quite well. He said he'd bring analogue football in a digital world.

Now that he's our manager, I suppose we don't really have any option but to support him or at least stay off his back for as long as we can. Yeah, that's hardly giving him full support but I think that's where a lot of folk are.

Geordie1974
21-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Supporting Bruce takes the heat off Ashley so I wont be supporting him.If he does well fans are happy,if he is failing fans turn on Bruce not Ashley.