PDA

View Full Version : Signing 1

KCNotts
31-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Being teased in FB. Doesn't look familiar.

KCNotts
31-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Ben Turner...ex Cov, 31, 6 ft 4 centre back.

St Kitts Magpie
31-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Ben Turner...ex Cov, 31, 6 ft 4 centre back.

Fact? if true , very solid signing , impressive dare I say

Chicken Balti Pie
31-07-2019, 06:17 PM

Certainly looks like him from this video:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/1156625591342419968

countygump
31-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Looks promising, plenty of appearances not too many clubs, bout the right height/weight, played for Stags last.

Trial by Wiki, passed, milud.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Turner_(footballer)

BigFatPie
31-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Certainly looks like him from this video:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/1156625591342419968

Was he the Mansfield fella who should have been sent off against us last season?

Chicken Balti Pie
31-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Looks promising, plenty of appearances not too many clubs, bout the right height/weight, played for Stags last.

Trial by Wiki, passed, milud.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Turner_(footballer)

He's certainly the big lump we need at the back

KCNotts
31-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Excellent signing. This lad was in the prem with Cardiff and scored in the league cup final. Great age for a CB and turned down a contract with the Stags.

Very impressive.

slack_pie
31-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Judging by his experience and height, that would be an excellent first signing!

Wiki says he was at Mansfield last season. Calling any wandering Stags fans - what's he like? Any good? (Assuming it is him)

Bartlett's Dust
31-07-2019, 06:25 PM
We've completed our first signing of the summer with the capture of experienced defender Ben Turner!

Notts manager Neal Ardley said: "In a lot of games last season we lacked physical presence, so at the top of our list of priorities was a dominant centre back.

"Working with the new owners - and the stats they've got - Ben came out top of the pile.

"I know Ben from our days at Cardiff, so I understand his character. He brings aerial dominance, leadership, experience and know-how.

"To attract him to come to us when he had several League Two possibilities on the table is brilliant."

frenchmagpie
31-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Locked and loaded ! Love it.

navypie
31-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Was he the Mansfield fella who should have been sent off against us last season?

Tis.

slack_pie
31-07-2019, 06:31 PM
We've completed our first signing of the summer with the capture of experienced defender Ben Turner!

Notts manager Neal Ardley said: "In a lot of games last season we lacked physical presence, so at the top of our list of priorities was a dominant centre back.

"Working with the new owners - and the stats they've got - Ben came out top of the pile.

"I know Ben from our days at Cardiff, so I understand his character. He brings aerial dominance, leadership, experience and know-how.

"To attract him to come to us when he had several League Two possibilities on the table is brilliant."

That really is an excellent signing. I'm ex-stat-ic.

countygump
31-07-2019, 06:35 PM
Judging by his experience and height, that would be an excellent first signing!

Wiki says he was at Mansfield last season. Calling any wandering Stags fans - what's he like? Any good? (Assuming it is him)

Sing Slacky, sing. ''Wandering Stags, the Trees don't need to know ohhhhh, wah hooo''.

Damn good signing now we need 2 more bigguns for the defence?

nw6pie
31-07-2019, 06:38 PM

That’s him. Got taken off at halftime as he was rather rusty. If we get him fit, he sounds like just what we need at the back (especially with some pace alongside him).

Oldstripy
31-07-2019, 06:39 PM
The statement from OS.

Just now

Notts County have completed their first signing of the summer with the capture of experienced defender Ben Turner.

The centre-back, who has amassed almost 300 league appearances and has played in each of England’s top four tiers, was most recently with Mansfield Town and played for the Stags at Meadow Lane in February.

Turner started his career with Coventry, making his professional debut aged as a late substitute for the Sky Blues in a 1-0 win at Stoke in April 2006.

He joined Peterborough United on loan for the first part of the following season before returning to the Ricoh Arena in January and spending a short time at Oldham.

In 2007-08 he began to establish himself in the Coventry team, regularly featuring alongside Notts’ Michael Doyle, and was part of the side that recorded a 2-0 win at Old Trafford in the League Cup.

He stayed with the Sky Blues until the summer of 2011, when Cardiff City parted with a reported £750,000 to secure his services.

It was here that he first encountered his new manager Ardley, who worked as the Academy Manager at the club.

The 31-year-old enjoyed a hugely successful first season with the Bluebirds as they reached the final of the League Cup, where Turner scored a dramatic equaliser deep into extra time to send the tie to penalties. They were ultimately beaten by Liverpool.

The defender made 43 appearances during that campaign as Cardiff also qualified for the Championship play-offs but lost to West Ham in the semi-finals, who went on to be promoted.

The Bluebirds won the title the following season and Turner made 31 Premier League appearances during 2013-14.

Injuries restricted him to just 19 appearances in all competitions over the next two campaigns with a loan at former club Coventry preceding his release from Cardiff in June 2016.

From there he moved to Burton Albion and made 99 appearances before joining Mansfield for the second half of 2018-19.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/turner-announcement-310719/

pjace
31-07-2019, 06:57 PM
We have done well to get him

Dunce
31-07-2019, 07:06 PM

I think you are right there. He looks an excellent signing.

Curious_Pie
31-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Is this a Neal Ardley transfer or a "Football Radar" find ??

Either what... From the comments here it's a great signing. Congrats Pies... First step in a long journey has been taken. You will succeed :star:

pjace
31-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Is this a Neal Ardley transfer or a "Football Radar" find ??

Either what... From the comments here it's a great signing. Congrats Pies... First step in a long journey has been taken. You will succeed :star:

According to the official site its a radar signing

countygump
31-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Ay ????

MAD_MAGPIE
31-07-2019, 07:16 PM
The statement from OS.

Just now

Notts County have completed their first signing of the summer with the capture of experienced defender Ben Turner.

The centre-back, who has amassed almost 300 league appearances and has played in each of England’s top four tiers, was most recently with Mansfield Town and played for the Stags at Meadow Lane in February.

Turner started his career with Coventry, making his professional debut aged as a late substitute for the Sky Blues in a 1-0 win at Stoke in April 2006.

He joined Peterborough United on loan for the first part of the following season before returning to the Ricoh Arena in January and spending a short time at Oldham.

In 2007-08 he began to establish himself in the Coventry team, regularly featuring alongside Notts’ Michael Doyle, and was part of the side that recorded a 2-0 win at Old Trafford in the League Cup.

He stayed with the Sky Blues until the summer of 2011, when Cardiff City parted with a reported £750,000 to secure his services.

It was here that he first encountered his new manager Ardley, who worked as the Academy Manager at the club.

The 31-year-old enjoyed a hugely successful first season with the Bluebirds as they reached the final of the League Cup, where Turner scored a dramatic equaliser deep into extra time to send the tie to penalties. They were ultimately beaten by Liverpool.

The defender made 43 appearances during that campaign as Cardiff also qualified for the Championship play-offs but lost to West Ham in the semi-finals, who went on to be promoted.

The Bluebirds won the title the following season and Turner made 31 Premier League appearances during 2013-14.

Injuries restricted him to just 19 appearances in all competitions over the next two campaigns with a loan at former club Coventry preceding his release from Cardiff in June 2016.

From there he moved to Burton Albion and made 99 appearances before joining Mansfield for the second half of 2018-19.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/turner-announcement-310719/

What an excellent signing and just what we need as well. I would have been happy with this kind of signing last summer. He brings plenty of experience of all four football leagues. If he stays fit we can easily get a few seasons out of him as he’s still only 31.

That’s good business, and looks like him knowing Neal Ardley, Michael Doyle and coming up top of the list on the stats has given us an advantage over League Two teams.

SwalePie
31-07-2019, 07:20 PM

It would seem to be a bit of both with the previous Ardley (Cardiff) and Doyle (Coventry) connections contributing to the decision alongside the stats. In fact exactly what was said to be expected by the owners it would seem.

"To attract him to come to us when he had several League Two possibilities on the table is brilliant.""

BigFatPie
31-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Helped keep Matt and Amond quiet in the playoffs.

Something which we er failed to do at Meadow Lane.

SwalePie
31-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Helped keep Matt and Amond quiet

I just skim-read that as 'helped keep Marc Almond quiet' and was somewhat disturbed by it :D

Frigiliana Pie 1
31-07-2019, 07:28 PM
I think most of us would agree. It’s a double bonus that he also fits the owners’ statistical model. Good start on the rebuilding.

Kyle95
31-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Make no mistake about it, this would be a good signing at League 2 level, so to attract him as a National League club is pretty exceptional. Further demonstrates the pulling power of the club despite our issues. Stags fans seem pretty pis***, that he has signed for us after turning down a new deal with them always a good sign.

BigFatPie
31-07-2019, 07:33 PM
I just skim-read that as 'helped keep Marc Almond quiet' and was somewhat disturbed by it :D

Despite Ben Turner you could say Mansfield said hello, and waved goodbye to their promotion hopes!!!!

I won’t even bother getting my coat.

magpie
31-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Despite Ben Turner you could say Mansfield said hello, and waved goodbye to their promotion hopes!!!!

I won’t even bother getting my coat.

Dread to think, what he drinks a pint of post match!

LilCrazyKim
31-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Isn't he the one who should have got sent off after 5 minutes when we played Stags at Meadow Lane?

rorylee
31-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Ay ????

Awww man I loved M*A*S*H*......gonna have to watch that last genius episode again!!

Chicken Balti Pie
31-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Isn't he the one who should have got sent off after 5 minutes when we played Stags at Meadow Lane?

Yes, but he was recovering from an injury and if I remember, he was pressed into action after an injury and suspension issue so he probably wasn't ready

TSANHO
31-07-2019, 09:15 PM
It's good that we've found a player fitting the remit....but I can't help but state the (obvious) negative fact here.

This is a guy with experience in all 4 divisions, including a full season in the Premier League and a League Cup Final to boot. He has great attributes and is just what we need.....why on earth is he still available one week before the season starts?

I really hope the medical staff have done their homework on this one, we don't have a great track record in buying fit and healthy players.....I'm assuming everyone still remembers BBB and how that turned out. I also hope they haven't paid over the odds on wages, though I assume they have in order to 'attract' him to the National League.

There, that's it, ive said it! In all sincerity I wish him all the best....its almost too good to be true!

Bohinen
31-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Top mean and moody face in his pic.

The thing about this signing is that he's exactly what we need, if he's fit and ready to go.

Killerkline
31-07-2019, 09:29 PM
It's good that we've found a player fitting the remit....but I can't help but state the (obvious) negative fact here.

This is a guy with experience in all 4 divisions, including a full season in the Premier League and a League Cup Final to boot. He has great attributes and is just what we need.....why on earth is he still available one week before the season starts?

I really hope the medical staff have done their homework on this one, we don't have a great track record in buying fit and healthy players.....I'm assuming everyone still remembers BBB and how that turned out. I also hope they haven't paid over the odds on wages, though I assume they have in order to 'attract' him to the National League.

There, that's it, ive said it! In all sincerity I wish him all the best....its almost too good to be true!

Understand your scepticism. However, to acquire the right quality we will need to take the odd calculated gamble. Big positive for me.

DelroyFacey22
31-07-2019, 09:45 PM

To be fair, we either didn't give Burgess a medical or he failed it and we signed him anyway, it was one of the two.

There comes a point where you have to take the gamble though, I'd imagine if he had a perfect injury record he wouldn't be available at this point and wouldn't be playing at this level.

Bushwacka
31-07-2019, 09:52 PM

I thought this then thought, what if the Danes have always been supremely confident that they'd complete the takeover and had just been playing the game with Hardy for the right price. And what if they'd approached some of their targets a while back, they were that confident. And maybe they were being coy at the press conference about the size of their budget and they have more backing than we think. I may be getting carried away, though.

Chicken Balti Pie
31-07-2019, 10:03 PM
I thought this then thought, what if the Danes have always been supremely confident that they'd complete the takeover and had just been playing the game with Hardy for the right price. And what if they'd approached some of their targets a while back, they were that confident. And maybe they were being coy at the press conference about the size of their budget and they have more backing than we think. I may be getting carried away, though.

I thought that about the budget. Ardley said we don't have much to play with, and they've gone and seemingly outbid a seemingly free spending Mansfield as apparently he turned down a contract from them?

Bushwacka
31-07-2019, 10:06 PM
I thought that about the budget. Ardley said we don't have much to play with, and they've gone and seemingly outbid a seemingly free spending Mansfield as apparently he turned down a contract from them?
And from Turner's official site interview
“Everything here has come together to produce something that I really fancied getting involved with. I like the idea of a fresh start under new ownership.

“Hopefully there will be a few others who will be coming in and we can get together as a tight group"
Usual footballer spiel or someone who's been promised a bit more than we're expecting?

Elite_Pie
31-07-2019, 10:07 PM

A free-spending Mansfield? Not any more, I think that ended when Flitcroft got the boot and was replaced by the youth team coach.

Chicken Balti Pie
31-07-2019, 10:12 PM
A free-spending Mansfield? Not any more, I think that ended when Flitcroft got the boot and was replaced by the youth team coach.

They signed Maynard and the chap we tried to sign from Tranmere haven't they after Flitcroft got the chop didn't they? Saying that, they probably saved a wedge after Walker, Grant and Smith went back to Forest. I've noted they haven't picked up on that "relationship" either? Have things gone sour for them as well?

Bohinen
31-07-2019, 10:13 PM
To be fair, we either didn't give Burgess a medical or he failed it and we signed him anyway, it was one of the two.

There comes a point where you have to take the gamble though, I'd imagine if he had a perfect injury record he wouldn't be available at this point and wouldn't be playing at this level.

This time there is actually a video of his medical on the Notts Twitter, so we might be OK.

https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/1156625591342419968

SwalePie
31-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Just watched his welcome interview on PiesPlayer and he describes himself as the last of a generation of big, solid guys who keep it simple and win headers and tackles. Well that sounds like a square peg into a square hole I think.

“I like to defend more than anything,” said Ben Turner after signing for us this afternoon. “I’m a bit more old-school than most centre backs that are coming through academies now."

rorylee
31-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Just watched his welcome interview on PiesPlayer and he describes himself as the last of a generation of big, solid guys who keep it simple and win headers and tackles. Well that sounds like a square peg into a square hole I think.

Next!

Every team needs an ugly sister!

BigFatPie
31-07-2019, 10:56 PM

I must say, Turner’s signing does make me think the budget is a bit more than they’ve been letting on. Though I suppose they did state that promotion’s the target this season.

Have to see what tomorrow brings...

SwalePie
31-07-2019, 10:57 PM
I must say, Turner’s signing does make me think the budget is a bit more than they’ve been letting on. Though I suppose they did state that promotion’s the target this season.

I think you may be gobsmacked ;)

jackal2
31-07-2019, 10:59 PM
I know it's customary to say nice things about the club and the manager when you've just signed, but I think the sentiments he expresses about Neal Ardley are genuine, based as he says on past experience. It wouldn't surprise me if we manage to attract one or two more players like Ben Turner who could otherwise be outside our price range but will be persuaded by the manager's demeanour and the new mood at the club.

Masson4
31-07-2019, 11:12 PM

The smartest way of working regards negotiating with clubs on transfers would be to promote the idea that there are limited funds (which I believe is the case).

I liked their talk of returning to the Football League 'as soon as possible' rather than predicting when that would be.

slack_pie
01-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Ben Turner is exactly the type of player we've needed for years now. When was the last time we had a commanding defender with experience? Graeme Lee? That must be almost a decade now.

Scanlon's Hatrick
01-08-2019, 06:45 AM
They signed Maynard and the chap we tried to sign from Tranmere haven't they after Flitcroft got the chop didn't they? Saying that, they probably saved a wedge after Walker, Grant and Smith went back to Forest. I've noted they haven't picked up on that "relationship" either? Have things gone sour for them as well?

I am sure I read a quote from John Radford saying something like:

My plan is to win the title and I will fund the club accordingly until that is achieved.

They must be playing Maynard a fair chunk, regular goal scorers never come cheap.

We now need a NL equivalent or 2. One or more of our big earners need to move out first.......

cher1
01-08-2019, 06:55 AM
Bish's comments to Leigh Curtis on our new signing:

The Fridge!! He’ll be great for Notts pal, what a guy as well, top man

slack_pie
01-08-2019, 07:14 AM
I am sure I read a quote from John Radford saying something like:

My plan is to win the title and I will fund the club accordingly until that is achieved.

They must be playing Maynard a fair chunk, regular goal scorers never come cheap.

We now need a NL equivalent or 2. One or more of our big earners need to move out first.......

Mansfield have probably saved a lot with the new management/coaching setup (Flitcroft was probably well paid) as well as the Forest boys, but yeah, they're still signing top L2 players. Even if they are spending less overall, they probably still have a top-3 budget. They'll be there or there abouts come the of the season I reckon, assuming the new guy takes to it.

pravda_plc
01-08-2019, 07:54 AM
We've needed a big, no-nonsense centre half who dominates the box for over a decade. If Turner is fully fit I think he will be that player.

To put it another way, he's considerably better than our usual disposable journeymen signings and considerably better than our usual 'last minute bargain buys' ...

DelroyFacey22
01-08-2019, 08:16 AM
they're still signing top L2 players. Even if they are spending less overall, they probably still have a top-3 budget. They'll be there or there abouts come the of the season

Heard that before after a failed playoff campaign... B)

StagManStan
01-08-2019, 08:40 AM
What a good player you've got on your hands. Hes very calm and heads everything. We offered him a contract but he rejected it thinking he'd be in L1 I think, his playoffs performances for us were great so I think he thought he done enough in the shop window.

Anyway, you've signed a solid L1 player, a good L2 player, and probably a great NL player.

slack_pie
01-08-2019, 08:45 AM
What a good player you've got on your hands. Hes very calm and heads everything. We offered him a contract but he rejected it thinking he'd be in L1 I think, his playoffs performances for us were great so I think he thought he done enough in the shop window.

Anyway, you've signed a solid L1 player, a good L2 player, and probably a great NL player.

Cheers for the lowdown, SMS. Sounds like a great bit of business.

countygump
01-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Cheers for the lowdown, SMS. Sounds like a great bit of business.

It certainly does. All we need now is a couple more like him.

Yellafella63
01-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Cracking signing imo. Was unfit when he came to us but when he got his chance late on in the season he was immense, a few mom performances if I remember correctly. We have 3 very good CBs, we did offer him a short contract but I think he was looking for longer + a guaranteed start. Lacks a bit of pace but will win everything in the air and is very good in the opposition box. Could very well end up your player of the season. Good luck.

slack_pie
01-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Cracking signing imo. Was unfit when he came to us but when he got his chance late on in the season he was immense, a few mom performances if I remember correctly. We have 3 very good CBs, we did offer him a short contract but I think he was looking for longer + a guaranteed start. Lacks a bit of pace but will win everything in the air and is very good in the opposition box. Could very well end up your player of the season. Good luck.

Cheers Yella, same to you.

Stagnificent
01-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Wandering Stags fan here. Let me clear a few things up.

Is he any good? Yes. He started slowly (including that 'red card' against Notts) after a long lay off, but was excellent at the end of the season, filling in for injured players in our defence.

Is he a good signing? Definitely. He's a leader and very experienced. I was disappointed that he rejected the offer from Stags. There were rumours of interest from the SPL, but it may just have been that he wasn't happy with not being offered an automatic fist team place. I would think that he would get that at most clubs, but in what was statistically the best defence in the league last season, that was never going to be assured. Fair enough. At conference level he should be one of the best in the division.

Have Notts 'outbid' Mansfield? No. Turner rejected our offer weeks ago.

Have Mansfield scaled back spending? Nope. John Radford announced that new manager John Dempster would have his full backing and then we started signing players. Nicky Maynard turned down 8 other clubs, including some from League 1, to join us. We paid £150k for Andy Cook - a club record fee. Dion Donohue was on top League 1 wages last season and also had other offers, etc, etc.

pravda_plc
01-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Wandering Stags fan here. Let me clear a few things up.

Is he any good? Yes. He started slowly (including that 'red card' against Notts) after a long lay off, but was excellent at the end of the season, filling in for injured players in our defence.

Is he a good signing? Definitely. He's a leader and very experienced. I was disappointed that he rejected the offer from Stags. There were rumours of interest from the SPL, but it may just have been that he wasn't happy with not being offered an automatic fist team place. I would think that he would get that at most clubs, but in what was statistically the best defence in the league last season, that was never going to be assured. Fair enough. At conference level he should be one of the best in the division.

Have Notts 'outbid' Mansfield? No. Turner rejected our offer weeks ago.

Have Mansfield scaled back spending? Nope. John Radford announced that new manager John Dempster would have his full backing and then we started signing players. Nicky Maynard turned down 8 other clubs, including some from League 1, to join us. We paid £150k for Andy Cook - a club record fee. Dion Donohue was on top League 1 wages last season and also had other offers, etc, etc.

Thanks for the input and your endorsement of Ben Turner. He was way above my expectations - as have been some of our other 4 signings today !

Good luck this season. It will be a tougher league this season in my opinion. All four of the relegated clubs will be there or thereabouts IMO.

Stagnificent
01-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the input and your endorsement of Ben Turner. He was way above my expectations - as have been some of our other 4 signings today !

Good luck this season. It will be a tougher league this season in my opinion. All four of the relegated clubs will be there or thereabouts IMO.

Thanks. I'm not so sure about all the relegated teams. I don't think Bradford will be up there. They've signed ageing players who are on the decline, such as James Vaughan and Clayton Donaldson. Walsall have lost their best player (to us) and not replaced him. Scunny, I don't know much about, but I do think Plymouth will be up there with Ryan Lowe and half the Bury players in their team. They were one of the teams that tried to get Maynard. I think there are some teams like Crewe and Colchester who have stregthened well and could surprise people. Orient and Salford are unknown. Newport, Exeter and Swindon should all be decent. Tough season ahead, but I'm quietly confident. We've improved our squad and if we can finish 1 place higher than last season, we're up.

Good luck to Notts too. The future suddenly looks a lot brighter. Conference football is hard in a different way to League 2. It's a culture shock when you first go down and you have to adjust quickly or risk falling down the table like Chesterfield did last season. They finally got the hang of it in time to get safe. If your manager knows how to handle the division, you'll be top-half with that squad. If he doesn't, he could be gone by Christmas and then I'd go for Paul Cox if I were you ;)

Oldstripy
01-08-2019, 03:20 PM
From Notts twitter.

Ebbsfleet United FC

Verified account

@EUFCofficial
Follow Follow @EUFCofficial

Replying to @Official_NCFC

You guys are playing havoc with our 'transfers in' section of the programme with two hours to deadline...!