PDA

View Full Version : Our budget

slack_pie
02-08-2019, 06:18 AM
I think we were all surprised by the number and quality of signings made yesterday. Not only because of the short notice, but because of what Ardley said about having little resources to work with. I think the Danes said during the presser that we'd have a similar budget to those teams competing at the top of the NL, but it seems to me we are signing players that most of our competitors wouldn't be able to attract.

So do you think the Danes and Ardley have been playing our chances/ambitions down? Are they pushing the boat out in an attempt to bounce back straight away, or is this just a sign that our new owners have the funds to take us forward?

I'm not complaining in any way - yesterday was fantastic - but I thought the new approach involved spending less but being smarter, and basically becoming a selling club that develops players. From a NL perspective, it looks like we've just splashed the cash.

I'm fine with it as long as the new owners are responsible with the money they spend, and don't do what our previous owners have done by gambling on swift promotions. They seem about as measured and intelligent as football owners get, so I'll trust they know what they are doing.

TSANHO
02-08-2019, 06:36 AM
I think we were all surprised by the number and quality of signings made yesterday. Not only because of the short notice, but because of what Ardley said about having little resources to work with. I think the Danes said during the presser that we'd have a similar budget to those teams competing at the top of the NL, but it seems to me we are signing players that most of our competitors wouldn't be able to attract.

So do you think the Danes and Ardley have been playing our chances/ambitions down? Are they pushing the boat out in an attempt to bounce back straight away, or is this just a sign that our new owners have the funds to take us forward?

I'm not complaining in any way - yesterday was fantastic - but I thought the new approach involved spending less but being smarter, and basically becoming a selling club that develops players. From a NL perspective, it looks like we've just splashed the cash.

I'm fine with it as long as the new owners are responsible with the money they spend, and don't do what our previous owners have done by gambling on swift promotions. They seem about as measured and intelligent as football owners get, so I'll trust they know what they are doing.

Good post, I was thinking exactly the same. The main concern for me is the age of some of the players they are signing, they have zero sell on value.

On the other hand they have been very restricted on how much time they had to deliver the signings so in that respect they have done great business....and probably have had to pay over the oddsto get half decent players.

We may see a more refined approach to signing players as time goes on.

LaxtonLad
02-08-2019, 06:41 AM

Personally, I think the Danes, using their particular methods, and Ardley, telling them exactly what type of player he wanted, sought out these players weeks ago, knowing the sale was imminent. Silence all round was paramount - conspiracy or what?

Scanlon's Hatrick
02-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Good post, I was thinking exactly the same. The main concern for me is the age of some of the players they are signing, they have zero sell on value.

On the other hand they have been very restricted on how much time they had to deliver the signings so in that respect they have done great business....and probably have had to pay over the oddsto get half decent players.

My thoughts exactly.

Apart from Nathan, all the new players are at an "experienced" age without being a veteran and over the hill (not suggesting for one moment Nathan is).

I am no expert on the NL but from what I have seen and read, it's relentless. Are these 30 somethings going to last the pace in a game ?

I hope that we get a big centre forward who is maybe mid twenties, ditto any other new signings. I think we have enough experience now.

Not being negative after such a surprising/welcome last couple of days.

legs77
02-08-2019, 07:03 AM
I think our hands were tied and I think for the future they will target younger players for resale.

We badly needed defenders and I agree we cant sell them due to their age but most will only have one year deals....for me its about staying up this season and take it from there.

slack_pie
02-08-2019, 07:04 AM

It looks like they just went out and got what we needed. It's all well and good saying we want to develop younger players, but we desperately needed an experienced, commanding centre back - which is what we got.

Maybe we'll see the new approach phased in over time. This summer was more a matter of necessity, as we simply didn't have the numbers.

Bernard_Bresslaw
02-08-2019, 07:42 AM
I think our hands were tied and I think for the future they will target younger players for resale.

We badly needed defenders and I agree we cant sell them due to their age but most will only have one year deals....for me its about staying up this season and take it from there.

Agree.

With almost a dozen players with zero or next to no first team experience we needed older heads. To an extent this was an (apparently well-planned) firefighting exercise after the summer exodus and existing deficiencies.

Tyson aside we have 2 outfield player just over 30, a 29 year old and a 23 year old. This was absolutely necessary to give us the spine we need. At the end of the day if you want a player with Ben Turner's attributes at the age of 25/26 then you pay for the privilege and we would've been nowhere near getting him. Gary Strodder was 30 when he arrived and we haven't had many like him since.

Also although O'Brien is great news he isn't really an addition and in normal circumstances he would probably already have signed a new contract before the ebd of last season. We're also likely to lose a couple more experienced players.

Sam Allardyce started with experienced players like Hendon (unless it was Colin Murphy?) and Mark Robson before he could add saleable assets like Andy Hughes (discounting his Gabriel Chi Chi Mendez phase of course) and this feels like the closest we've come to his quality of recruitment since.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
02-08-2019, 07:57 AM
It looks like they just went out and got what we needed. It's all well and good saying we want to develop younger players, but we desperately needed an experienced, commanding centre back - which is what we got.

Maybe we'll see the new approach phased in over time. This summer was more a matter of necessity, as we simply didn't have the numbers.

Agree 100%

Bartlett's Dust
02-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Personally, I think the Danes, using their particular methods, and Ardley, telling them exactly what type of player he wanted, sought out these players weeks ago, knowing the sale was imminent. Silence all round was paramount - conspiracy or what?

6 comma's in one sentence. A new world record?

Kyle95
02-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Y

I think given the circumstances the new owners, and Ardley are just looking at getting a competitive squad in place. I think their immediate aim is to try and get the club promoted, we will then see their ultimate aim come into action, ie selling players for profit if and when we get promoted. Let us not forget that Stead, Vaughan, and Ward were released, i can imagine that took a big chunk off the wage bill.

americanpie
02-08-2019, 08:48 AM

Don't know about that....... but it certainly looks like a world record for the number of "I think"'s in a thread. O:)

countygump
02-08-2019, 08:52 AM

I think this ^^^ is prob true. Don't forget that the 50 ish players on Ardley's list had all gone to other clubs, but I do think we managed to get the best of what was left. I was just surprised with the sheer volume of signings given that Ardley had said that the owners are ''Not gonna throws pots of money at this tranny window, they're not like that'', or similar words.

Bushwacka
02-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Turner aside, I'm not sure any of the new signings are budget busters? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with all of the business yesterday, I think we have a solid squad and will be able to compete in the top half of the league, but most of them have been on trial for the past month and seemed to have pinned their hopes on signing for us regardless of ownership.

LaxtonLad
02-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Not bad, eh?

Bohinen
02-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Don't know about that....... but it certainly looks like a world record for the number of "I think"'s in a thread. O:)

I remember in the days of the Football post when Clough and Sirrel wrote weekly articles, someone counted the 'I's and 'Me's in both articles, and Clough had about 80 with Sirrel on about 10.

Well, I think, me, personally, that the new owners didn't have time to research players that they would ideally take, and this is not the blueprint for the future. Turner would seem to match the Football Radar way, but Tyson would not. I have to admit, he's the one I am least convinced about, even if he tore Ilkeston a new arsehole.

So we relied on Ardley's and Doyle's contacts this time around because we had no choice but our new sqaud seems a lot better than last year's imbalanced one. I would just for once, for the first time ever maybe, like to see a player rejected after a trial with us. Maybe that's going to be Kyel Reid, but signing can't be an automatic thing, surely?

I also do think the Danes may have been in touch with people at the club earlier on, especially Jason Turner.

slack_pie
02-08-2019, 09:24 AM
I remember in the days of the Football post when Clough and Sirrel wrote weekly articles, someone counted the 'I's and 'Me's in both articles, and Clough had about 80 with Sirrel on about 10.

Well, I think, me, personally, that the new owners didn't have time to research players that they would ideally take, and this is not the blueprint for the future. Turner would seem to match the Football Radar way, but Tyson would not. I have to admit, he's the one I am least convinced about, even if he tore Ilkeston a new arsehole.

So we relied on Ardley's and Doyle's contacts this time around because we had no choice but our new sqaud seems a lot better than last year's imbalanced one. I would just for once, for the first time ever maybe, like to see a player rejected after a trial with us. Maybe that's going to be Kyel Reid, but signing can't be an automatic thing, surely?

I also do think the Danes may have been in touch with people at the club earlier on, especially Jason Turner.

We love signing trialists. Doesn't matter if they are any good or not. Remember Mark Fotheringham?

SwalePie
02-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Only one grocer's apostrophe in response? Tut tut.

LaxtonLad
02-08-2019, 09:28 AM
One grocer's apostrophe in response. Tut tut.

Aha Swale, I didn't spot that, well done!

Bohinen
02-08-2019, 09:28 AM
We love signing trialists. Doesn't matter if they are any good or not. Remember Mark Fotheringham?

Yes, I do. We need a man who says no. When I did some work in Denmark back in the 90s I was introduced to someone they called 'the man who says no', so maybe the Danes might have one.

DelroyFacey22
02-08-2019, 09:44 AM
I would just for once, for the first time ever maybe, like to see a player rejected after a trial with us. Maybe that's going to be Kyel Reid, but signing can't be an automatic thing, surely?

The GK O'Brien presumably isn't going to be signed and I'm fairly sure Kyel Reid has been on trial at Notts once before. We're also yet to sign Camwell (but still might), there's plenty of players we've had and never signed, there was a striker with a double barrelled name that I think had played in the US that we didn't sign the other season too

nw6pie
02-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Maybe we are guilty of assuming that the Danes’ approach was to “do a Brentford”, when it may actually be about identifying the best players to give you bang for your buck. Very few of these players have been signed as investments but rather, as players to do a job this season. I’m a bit concerned that the average age of the side could be about 30, as I think ideally you’d want it to be closer to 26-27. But I guess that’s the downside of missing out on 52 players while your chairman dithered throughout the summer.

Given that the Danes only apparently appeared on the scene in mid-June, it’s been a remarkable effort to have us going into the season with any semblance of order. Now it’s over to NA and the players to deliver.

Bushwacka
02-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Maybe we are guilty of assuming that the Danes’ approach was to “do a Brentford”, when it may actually be about identifying the best players to give you bang for your buck. Very few of these players have been signed as investments but rather, as players to do a job this season.

I'd imagine if the priority is to get us out of the NL as soon as possible, get 3,000+ back on the gates, balance the books a little and then start looking at players for investment.

Bernard_Bresslaw
02-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Maybe we are guilty of assuming that the Danes’ approach was to “do a Brentford”, when it may actually be about identifying the best players to give you bang for your buck. Very few of these players have been signed as investments but rather, as players to do a job this season. I’m a bit concerned that the average age of the side could be about 30, as I think ideally you’d want it to be closer to 26-27. But I guess that’s the downside of missing out on 52 players while your chairman dithered throughout the summer.

Given that the Danes only apparently appeared on the scene in mid-June, it’s been a remarkable effort to have us going into the season with any semblance of order. Now it’s over to NA and the players to deliver.

I seem to remember them being asked and saying that they would look to replicate the Brentford / Brighton model.

Bringing on rough diamonds isn'ymt going to be a quick process and will always carry an element of risk so I assume that they decided that a readymade solid nucleus was needed to steady things first.