PDA

View Full Version : The new rules

millertop
04-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Been mentioned in posts so I’d thought I’d put a thread up to try and keep up to date.

Law 16

At goal kicks, the ball is in play once it is kicked and clearly moves; it does not have to leave the penalty area

“This was brought in because a goal kick is similar to a free-kick, in the way that anywhere else on the field you could take a short free-kick and the ball was in play, yet that wasn’t the case at a goal kick.

“There was no apparent reason for this, so now the ball is in play once it is played, rather than having to leave a certain area.”

In terms of the use of VAR ahead of the new season, the technology will be used during the Semi-Finals and Final of the Carabao Cup, but not in League competitions, including the Play-Offs.

millertop
04-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on, or in line with, the goal line when a penalty kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line

“This allows the goalkeeper to effectively take one stride forward as the kick is about to be taken. The assistant referee will monitor goalkeeper movement and the will alert the referee to any significant cases where the goalkeeper doesn’t have that foot on or in line with the goal line. It will be Interesting to see how this impacts on the keeper’s ability to save the penalty.”

millertop
04-08-2019, 12:57 PM
I must say, I like this one

Law 13
When there is a defensive ‘wall’ of at least 3 players, all attacking team players must be at least 1m from the ‘wall’; IDFK if they encroach

“In previous seasons we have seen teams gain an advantage by forwards pushing into the defensive wall to try and create a gap for their teammates. Now, having that distance away from the wall removes that problem and makes the game fairer, which is what we’re all looking for. It should also speed up play by enabling the kick to be taken more quickly.”

millertop
04-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Law 12

Handball text re-written for greater clarity/consistency with clear guidelines for when ‘non-deliberate’ handball should (and should not) be penalised

“The way in which our officials interpret the unintentional position of the hand or arm has not changed and fans should expect the same offenses that were penalised last season to be penalised this season.

“Encouragingly, the Law has been amended so that players cannot score where the ball goes into goal from their hand or arm – however inadvertently. Also if an attacker gains control of the ball that leads to a goal scoring chance from an accidental handball this will now be penalised.

“It’s a positive step because I think people who play and watch the game believe we shouldn’t be allowing goals to stand that come off of the hand/arm.”

millertop
04-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Law 9
• Dropped ball if the ball touches the referee (or other match official) and goes into the goal, possession changes or an attacking move starts

Scum-Triumphant
04-08-2019, 01:12 PM
The new handball rule worries me. Defenders will have to have their hands behind their backs.

millertop
04-08-2019, 01:15 PM
The new handball rule worries me. Defenders will have to have their hands behind their backs.

It shouldn’t really have to be a worry but yes I can see where you’re coming from especially in a fast paced game

I’ve watched some highlighted games over the weekend and some were missed (quite clear imo as well)

CASPER-64-FRANK
04-08-2019, 01:24 PM
A rule change they ought to bring back is goal kicks taken from the side it goes out on.

Originally it was changed to speed up the game, it hasn’t worked that way, Goalkeepers waste more time.

Paul Waring
04-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Thanks for this, millertop; a really useful run down of changes. As for Casper's point on goal kicks I couldn't agree more.

frogmiller
04-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Isn't there one about the penalty kicks having to be a direct shot at goal and the ball can't be kicked to a team mate?

The goal keepers at penalties only have to have one foot on the goal line whereas they used to ave to have both.