PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Ashes Test

mickd1961
22-08-2019, 07:12 PM
At 136-2 I was seriously p e e d off,it should never have got to that........if we’d been more disciplined they’d have struggled to get 120.

These Ashes depend on Friday’s first innings for us I believe.

I don’t expect we’ll get more than 230-250 but if we could get 300-350 I think we’d not only win this match but also win the series.

Just as well for them that Anderson has been missing because with him and Archer and Broad we would’ve destroyed them.

phild
22-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Gloomy, overcast conditions today so an excellent toss to win. The weather is now set fair for the rest of this test so our batsmen ought to do the business. I feel the Gods are on our side for this one.

9goals2hattricks3pen
23-08-2019, 10:48 AM
At 136-2 I was seriously p e e d off,it should never have got to that........if we’d been more disciplined they’d have struggled to get 120.

I don’t expect we’ll get more than 230-250 but if we could get 300-350 I think we’d not only win this match but also win the series.

Just as well for them that Anderson has been missing because with him and Archer and Broad we would’ve destroyed them.

Oh dear. 130-150 looks more likely.

I know Roy is not an opener, Surrey and cricinfo also know it why don't England selectors?

phild
23-08-2019, 11:26 AM
..I feel the Gods are on our side for this one.

It appears the Gods aint English

mickd1961
23-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Oh dear. 130-150 looks more likely.

I know Roy is not an opener, Surrey and cricinfo also know it why don't England selectors?

I’m sick of hearing about the batting order.

It’s irrelevant......most of them are not good enough.

Root has been pathetic,no doubt it’ll be all down to “batting at three”.

This is the worst batting line up at test level since I started watching in 1972.

You could put them in any order and it’d make no difference.

astle71
23-08-2019, 11:58 AM
What utter crap this English batting side is

phild
23-08-2019, 12:13 PM
6 down for 45 utter shambles. If Root can't win this test after our bowlers shoved it up em yesterday than he really ought to resign.

mickd1961
23-08-2019, 12:29 PM
We might as well reverse the batting order!

We need to find some “stodgy” batsman like David Steele from the 70’s however boring he might be.

I’d even consider throwing the bat right at the start with “pinch hitters” than watch this s h I t.

Foakes has to play next match.

Leicesterbaggie
23-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Just not good enough! Yes, the Aussies have bowled superbly but there is no excuse for some of the dismissals. What was Stokes doing playing at a ball that wouldn't have hit the proverbial 'barn door'. Why didn't Roy just shoulder arms instead of playing it? I could go on. I can't see us saving this game let alone winning it. Archer's now out, ducking a short one but with his bat standing up like a periscope. I give up!

9goals2hattricks3pen
23-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Just not good enough! Yes, the Aussies have bowled superbly but there is no excuse for some of the dismissals. What was Stokes doing playing at a ball that wouldn't have hit the proverbial 'barn door'. Why didn't Roy just shoulder arms instead of playing it? I could go on. I can't see us saving this game let alone winning it. Archer's now out, ducking a short one but with his bat standing up like a periscope. I give up!

When I went to lunch we were 2 down couldn't believe the Aussies were in when I got back. Where's me bat?

Leicesterbaggie
23-08-2019, 03:56 PM
When I went to lunch we were 2 down couldn't believe the Aussies were in when I got back. Where's me bat?

Think I'll get my kit out of the loft and join you!

Prando
23-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Where’s Boycott more to the point ?
PS
An Ashes victory outweighs the World Cup for me...

mickd1961
23-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Pathetic spineless w anchors.

A mate of mine watches a lot of county cricket at Worcestershire and he’s scathing about Root and his captaincy.

He reckons Root is a goner after this series.

Root is about to lose to what is in my opinion the worst Aussie touring side batting line up I’ve seen in 47 years of watching cricket.

The ECB also take the blame for marginalising four day cricket this summer as well as this ludicrous “Hundred” competition coming next summer.

Even at a poor secondary school in the 70’s the first thing we were taught was how to play with a straight bat.....head over the ball.....”sniff the leather” as they used to say.

Don’t these idiots ever look back at footage of the greats FFS?

The technique of most countries top 4 or 5 was so good and yet there were some attractive fast scorers like Gooch,Gower,Lamb,Smith,Gatting,Trescothick,Thorpe ( I loved Thorpe ),Bell,Vaughan et al.

This lot are brainless,entitled,halfwits!!

Dubbag
23-08-2019, 08:15 PM
I can't believe Ireland lost our test to this team......very dismal non performance...from a very poor test standard team...

Albionmad
23-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Pathetic spineless w anchors.

A mate of mine watches a lot of county cricket at Worcestershire and he’s scathing about Root and his captaincy.

He reckons Root is a goner after this series.

Root is about to lose to what is in my opinion the worst Aussie touring side batting line up I’ve seen in 47 years of watching cricket.

The ECB also take the blame for marginalising four day cricket this summer as well as this ludicrous “Hundred” competition coming next summer.

Even at a poor secondary school in the 70’s the first thing we were taught was how to play with a straight bat.....head over the ball.....”sniff the leather” as they used to say.

Don’t these idiots ever look back at footage of the greats FFS?

The technique of most countries top 4 or 5 was so good and yet there were some attractive fast scorers like Gooch,Gower,Lamb,Smith,Gatting,Trescothick,Thorpe ( I loved Thorpe ),Bell,Vaughan et al.

This lot are brainless,entitled,halfwits!!

Sorry mate but the same arguments were trotted out during the Ashes 75 series down under , the 76 WI series at home where there was no respite from their 4 fast bowlers. Then we had the 80s and 90s and early 00s domination of Aussie quicks and Shane Warne. Here and there we triumphed but not over a prolonged period. The players you mentioned above had their day but never dominated like McGrath, Warne. Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist and so on.

We're crap and governed by money mad admiinistrators

Dubbag
23-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Sorry mate but the same arguments were trotted out during the Ashes 75 series down under , the 76 WI series at home where there was no respite from their 4 fast bowlers. Then we had the 80s and 90s and early 00s domination of Aussie quicks and Shane Warne. Here and there we triumphed but not over a prolonged period. The players you mentioned above had their day but never dominated like McGrath, Warne. Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist and so on.

We're crap and governed by money mad admiinistrators

You make a good point Albionmad.
I actually remember the cricket governing body implementing a rule that prohibited the WI from using continuous fast pitches...I think they restricted the bouncer to one an over...such was the superb bowling strike force of the WI back then.
I believe the one day game has lowered the stroke skills of many a batsman today.....I remember G Gooch carrying his bat for well over a full day to save a test...It took concentration and skill to pick the shots to play and mostly defend...
Players dont really have the stamina tor concentration to stay in for more then a few hours...

WBA1955
24-08-2019, 04:03 PM
I don't know why you people keep watching and expecting England to win. They have never been any good, you should know that by now. It's a blessing more countries don't play the game or we wouldn't be in the top 50.
Now take your average Aussie cricketer, big, tanned brawny, looks every inch a winner. Liable to say things like, Whatsay we go down the boozer later and blow the froth off a cold one sport?
Now your average Englishman is a pink podgy faced ex public schoolboy, who probably enjoys Fox Hunting and being tied and spanked.
I doubt he would be able to scare a Vicar.

Just face it guy's, we are shyte, always have been always will be. Just get it into your heads that if it don't rain we will lose, and enjoy the game.

Dubbag
24-08-2019, 04:16 PM
I don't know why you people keep watching and expecting England to win. They have never been any good, you should know that by now. It's a blessing more countries don't play the game or we wouldn't be in the top 50.
Now take your average Aussie cricketer, big, tanned brawny, looks every inch a winner. Liable to say things like, Whatsay we go down the boozer later and blow the froth off a cold one sport?
Now your average Englishman is a pink podgy faced ex public schoolboy, who probably enjoys Fox Hunting and being tied and spanked.
I doubt he would be able to scare a Vicar.

Just face it guy's, we are shyte, always have been always will be. Just get it into your heads that if it don't rain we will lose, and enjoy the game.

Good post 55...spot on!

Yarmbaggie
24-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Never had any contact with any private school in my life but it is hardly a great surprise that most of our team come from this area. Cricket has almost disappeared from state schools and most local clubs are dying on their feet. Some argue the cost and the time taken to play are restrictive but this isnt the case in Oz where the game is still flourishing, especially at school level.

King football rules in this country to the detriment of all other sports. It doesn’t cost a lot, is easy to understand, doesn’t need a lot of coaching and is over in a relatively short time. Tv coverage is at saturation point and you struggle to find any cricket especially if some great event such as the Women’s World Cup football is on! No wonder even every country in Africa with no money can still put out a decent side to compete on the world stage.

Thank heavens for the traditions and investment in cricket that the private schools make because without it we would be in an even greater sorry mess.

phild
25-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Extraordinary victory by England!!!!!! I think Stokes may just have eclipsed Botham of 1981?

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 03:35 PM
I wanted Leach in at 9 because I like his solid technique and he’s as much the hero as Stokes.

That Stokes innings at least matches Botham’s in 81 for me.

The Minn Junta
25-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Extraordinary victory by England!!!!!! I think Stokes may just have eclipsed Botham of 1981?

Absolutely unbelievable! We needed 88 to win with only Stokes and Leach remaining, the quality of Stokes and the intelligence in which he played was truely unbelievable, what a warrior. I thought the World Cup final win over NZ was breathtaking but for me this eclipsed it.

His celebration at the end after hitting that winning four was Stuart Pearce-esq!

Keep a thought for Leach aswell, fair play Jack lad!

Amazing, absolutely amazing.

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 03:50 PM
If Stokes doesn’t win Sport Personality Of The Year I’ll wear my wife’s knickers to a match!

TipperaryBaggie
25-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Reading all the posts on this subject, I think that there is a lot of egg on face tonight!

Dubbag
25-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Reading all the posts on this subject, I think that there is a lot of egg on face tonight!
I don't think so Tipp....I really don't.....

TipperaryBaggie
25-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Can't see the logic there Dub. We are 'shyte, rubbish, worse batting team' etc yet we beat the Aussies. What does that make them I ask?

Leicesterbaggie
25-08-2019, 04:27 PM
It was an extraordinary victory but why did the umpire turn down that last lbw appeal, it was as 'nailed on' as you can get. If the Aussies hadn't wasted a review when it obviously wasn't out they would have been able to review that one and won the Ashes. That's what happens when panic sets in.

The Minn Junta
25-08-2019, 06:08 PM
It was an extraordinary victory but why did the umpire turn down that last lbw appeal, it was as 'nailed on' as you can get. If the Aussies hadn't wasted a review when it obviously wasn't out they would have been able to review that one and won the Ashes. That's what happens when panic sets in.

Fortune did favour us in the Aussies using up that last review, but isn’t that sport all over LB? On another day Lowe wouldn’t have fumbled the ball and run Leach out, as you say panic set in, then Stokes was dropped, albeit one hell of a stretch but still catchable.

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 07:33 PM

It’s so easy to be smug after the event so well done for that.....a first class effort.

Listen to what Bob Willis had to say......he was absolutely scathing about our batting as were our written press and rightly so.

Listen to Stuart Broad today.....he said he apologised to the rest of the team after the Aussies first innings because of the bowling effort,he said 120 or less was what we should’ve got them out for rather than nearly 60 more!

He was also forthright about the pitiful batting.

Today was a once in 38 years miracle,it’s only happened twice in my lifetime and I’ll be knocking 100 before I’ll witness it again.

There were still awful shots today by Bairstow,Root,Archer.......all of which were completely uncalled for in the circumstances.

If we don’t improve and get first innings runs in the next two matches we will not win The Ashes........end of!

Great stuff today though.

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 07:44 PM

And crumbs from loads of humble pie, it's funny how most posters change midstream isn't it.

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 07:47 PM
If Stokes doesn’t win Sport Personality Of The Year I’ll wear my wife’s knickers to a match!

With suspenders and fishnet stockings?

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Doubt if Jimmy will play Test Cricket this year Mick, my grandson played against him in a second eleven 3 day match he bowled eleven overs but didn't finish the match,grandson put him away for a four through extra cover, but have to say Jimmy looked gentle.

Johnny on the spot 1
25-08-2019, 08:03 PM
And crumbs from loads of humble pie, it's funny how most posters change midstream isn't it.

Murph what price could you have got on England to win ?

Dubbag
25-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Can't see the logic there Dub. We are 'shyte, rubbish, worse batting team' etc yet we beat the Aussies. What does that make them I ask?

I would think there is a systemic problem in English cricket that really cant be papered over by one good days batting in one test.
It was exciting to watch....no question about that....but I would not think too many involved in the game think it is in a good place...I am talking test now...not the other versions of the game.
But just my view of it...

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Doubt if Jimmy will play Test Cricket this year Mick, my grandson played against him in a second eleven 3 day match he bowled eleven overs but didn't finish the match,grandson put him away for a four through extra cover, but have to say Jimmy looked gentle.

Yeah......I’m sure our greatest ever bowler was cranking it up to 85mph against an age group team of ****agers!

I’d suggest it shows a level of respect from the great man in not making kids look like a bunch of t w a t s and ruining their confidence and that’s the class sort of guy Jimmy is!

Would you rather he run in at full tilt?

We all know he doesn’t need to bowl fast GLM.......at 78-82mph he’s still pretty much unplayable so describing him as “gentle” is a strange choice of words as he hasn’t been “fast” for more than five years now.

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Yeah......I’m sure our greatest ever bowler was cranking it up to 85mph against an age group team of ****agers!

I’d suggest it shows a level of respect from the great man in not making kids look like a bunch of t w a t s and ruining their confidence and that’s the class sort of guy Jimmy is!

Would you rather he run in at full tilt?

We all know he doesn’t need to bowl fast GLM.......at 78-82mph he’s still pretty much unplayable so describing him as “gentle” is a strange choice of words as he hasn’t been “fast” for more than five years now.

Well he was there to try and prove his fitness which he didn't by not finishing the match, maybe the choice of gentle was a bad choice but preferable to slating him.

As for 'kids' can I say that the Lancashire side had 7 or 8 first team squad players, two or three of them have played for England and the scores over the three days were Leicestershire 2s 224 and 204/8 dec. The Lancashire 2s replies were 134 and 132/7. Match drawn but a hell of a moral victory for Leicestershire.

TipperaryBaggie
25-08-2019, 09:18 PM
I would think there is a systemic problem in English cricket that really cant be papered over by one good days batting in one test.
It was exciting to watch....no question about that....but I would not think too many involved in the game think it is in a good place...I am talking test now...not the other versions of the game.
But just my view of it...
The point that I was trying to make Dub is that people are very quick to criticise if things go wrong. Yes, we have a lot to improve upon in all areas but we are still better than most test teams and, of course, World Champions at one day cricket.

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Murph what price could you have got on England to win ?

I think a lot more than the 500/1 that Lillee and Thompson got in Bob Willis's match. Also at Headingly.

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Well he was there to try and prove his fitness which he didn't by not finishing the match, maybe the choice of gentle was a bad choice but preferable to slating him.

As for 'kids' can I say that the Lancashire side had 7 or 8 first team squad players, two or three of them have played for England and the scores over the three days were Leicestershire 2s 224 and 204/8 dec. The Lancashire 2s replies were 134 and 132/7. Match drawn but a hell of a moral victory for Leicestershire.

I listen to the experts.

Reports from that match were that he’d come through it well and if I remember correctly he’d taken at least a couple of wickets.

I’m nearly 58 and since Anderson’s age I’ve suffered with calf strains a lot so I can give you “chapter and verse” on them.

I’ve just been forced into a two week rest period due to a nasty little strain on my left one a few weeks back that wasn’t improving with a lighter work load.

I went out today and did my normal 4 1/2 miles at a careful and reduced pace because to do otherwise is sheer stupidity.

I’m a million miles away from an elite trainer like Anderson but I can assure you of this.

1/ As I gradually build this up over the next two weeks I’ll be back to my rather sad best.

2/ In 10 days from now Anderson would have Leicester stiffs wondering where their next run was coming from and if selected......he’ll be making the Aussies squirm.

By 4th September it’ll be five weeks since his slight calf strain and with world class rehab and a top class athlete knowing his own body I think we can all feel comfortable that if Anderson is on the pitch he’ll do the business.

If not him I hope Curran gets the call because Woakes is as much use as my a r s e at present.

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 09:38 PM
I think a lot more than the 500/1 that Lillee and Thompson got in Bob Willis's match. Also at Headingly.

It was Lillee and Rod Marsh.

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 09:48 PM
I listen to the experts.

Reports from that match were that he’d come through it well and if I remember correctly he’d taken at least a couple of wickets.

I’m nearly 58 and since Anderson’s age I’ve suffered with calf strains a lot so I can give you “chapter and verse” on them.

I’ve just been forced into a two week rest period due to a nasty little strain on my left one a few weeks back that wasn’t improving with a lighter work load.

I went out today and did my normal 4 1/2 miles at a careful and reduced pace because to do otherwise is sheer stupidity.

I’m a million miles away from an elite trainer like Anderson but I can assure you of this.

1/ As I gradually build this up over the next two weeks I’ll be back to my rather sad best.

2/ In 10 days from now Anderson would have Leicester stiffs wondering where their next run was coming from and if selected......he’ll be making the Aussies squirm.

By 4th September it’ll be five weeks since his slight calf strain and with world class rehab and a top class athlete knowing his own body I think we can all feel comfortable that if Anderson is on the pitch he’ll do the business.

If not him I hope Curran gets the call because Woakes is as much use as my a r s e at present.

Try listening to what the experts say regarding Woakes.

A pity you are not as nice a man as you think Jimmy Anderson is with your disrespect of Leicestershire young cricketers.

Dubbag
25-08-2019, 09:53 PM
The point that I was trying to make Dub is that people are very quick to criticise if things go wrong. Yes, we have a lot to improve upon in all areas but we are still better than most test teams and, of course, World Champions at one day cricket.

I do see the point you are making and you can only beat the team you are playing against. I agree with that. I guess my point is or could be the same with a lot of modern sports....Is it better? The W. Indies are quite abysmal as a test nation today compared to 20 years a go. India is most likely the same...Pakistan is definitely gone backwards as I would suggest is N Zealand.Sri Lanka are ok. Australia are not as powerful as they once were...South Africa are decent but cant really be compared as they were out of international cricket for so long.
That leaves the likes of Bangladesh,Zimbabwe, and if you want Ireland. Test cricket has gone backwards in its development...no question. There are too many versions of the game, which is where the money is. (Here we go again)
G Gooch could carry as could Tendulkar and many more because they had a temperament that suited a game that went on for 5 days. Not so today, as the modern player has not got the skill set. See how many games finished well within the allotted time...The one day hitter saves the day....and I am fine with that....but cricket isn't a better game for that....

Dubbag
25-08-2019, 09:56 PM
I really like that the Ashes thread is so popular and so many contributions on it...

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Try listening to what the experts say regarding Woakes.

A pity you are not as nice a man as you think Jimmy Anderson is with your disrespect of Leicestershire young cricketers.

Don’t try to paint me in a certain way because I picked apart what you said about our greatest ever bowler.

Good luck to your nephew but if he’s going to make it into regular first class cricket I doubt he’ll be “bigging up” his “four through the covers” of Jimmy in a first run out after injury stint!

As for Woakes I do listen and I watch with my own two eyes.

Botham,Warne,Ramprakash,Willis,Gower and others ALL pointed out in the last two days that Root obviously has lost trust in him.

He’s absolutely no use abroad as his figures clearly show and his usual Lords heroics were miles off in the last test.

He’s bowled just 22 overs at poor economy with just 2 for 85 in conditions made for him in the first innings and he batted twice like a number 11.

I’d be interested to know which “experts” you were listening to?

goodlordmurphy
25-08-2019, 11:13 PM
Don’t try to paint me in a certain way because I picked apart what you said about our greatest ever bowler.

Good luck to your nephew but if he’s going to make it into regular first class cricket I doubt he’ll be “bigging up” his “four through the covers” of Jimmy in a first run out after injury stint!

As for Woakes I do listen and I watch with my own two eyes.

Botham,Warne,Ramprakash,Willis,Gower and others ALL pointed out in the last two days that Root obviously has lost trust in him.

He’s absolutely no use abroad as his figures clearly show and his usual Lords heroics were miles off in the last test.

He’s bowled just 22 overs at poor economy with just 2 for 85 in conditions made for him in the first innings and he batted twice like a number 11.

I’d be interested to know which “experts” you were listening to?

Read again post 32 and you will see you have turned a harmless comment regarding the wellbeing of Jimmy Anderson into something miles away from the first intent.

Paint you in a different way? the only one doing that is you.

And as for 'bigging it up' you are talking rubbish as I clearly said Jimmy was 'gentle' in his spell, which point you picked up on.

It seems if it's not about mickd you don't want to know.

At which point I will leave this board with so many self centred wanchors it's really no pleasure.

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 11:16 PM
Read again post 32 and you will see you have turned a harmless comment regarding the wellbeing of Jimmy Anderson into something miles away from the first intent.

Paint you in a different way? the only one doing that is you.

And as for 'bigging it up' you are talking rubbish as I clearly said Jimmy was 'gentle' in his spell, which point you picked up on.

It seems if it's not about mickd you don't want to know.

At which point I will leave this board with so many self centred wanchors it's really no pleasure.

Bye then.

mickd1961
25-08-2019, 11:22 PM

And you’re happy to have digs at people like me in quotes like this but that’s okay.

In my reply to your “critique” of our greatest ever bowler being put away by your relative and my follow ups I was completely factual.

You still haven’t told us which “experts” were eulogising about Woakes GLM?

As for “disrespecting” Leicestershire’s seconds.....you’re old enough to understand the term “stiffs” so don’t go acting like a Snowflake FFS.

Leicesterbaggie
26-08-2019, 06:14 AM
To change the focus of this thread, if you remember GLM I said that I would have a word with my mate who scores for Leicester 2's about your grandson's dismissal v. Lancs. Unfortunately, due to his scoring commitments I haven't seen him for quite a while, in fact he
was the back up scorer for England in the Edgbaston Test.
However, I know a little about your grandson as he plays alongside Sam Bates, the wicket keeper, for Leicester 2's. I played alongside Sam's dad, who himself was an excellent 'keeper and his grandad an excellent bowler. That shows my age! I understand that your grandson now plays for Loughborough Town in the Leicestershire and Rutland Premier League. The club that I played for, Newtown Linford, will gain promotion to the Premier League next season and therefore will be playing Loughborough Town so perhaps we will be able to meet up.

Yarmbaggie
26-08-2019, 06:52 AM
I do see the point you are making and you can only beat the team you are playing against. I agree with that. I guess my point is or could be the same with a lot of modern sports....Is it better? The W. Indies are quite abysmal as a test nation today compared to 20 years a go. India is most likely the same...Pakistan is definitely gone backwards as I would suggest is N Zealand.Sri Lanka are ok. Australia are not as powerful as they once were...South Africa are decent but cant really be compared as they were out of international cricket for so long.
That leaves the likes of Bangladesh,Zimbabwe, and if you want Ireland. Test cricket has gone backwards in its development...no question. There are too many versions of the game, which is where the money is. (Here we go again)
G Gooch could carry as could Tendulkar and many more because they had a temperament that suited a game that went on for 5 days. Not so today, as the modern player has not got the skill set. See how many games finished well within the allotted time...The one day hitter saves the day....and I am fine with that....but cricket isn't a better game for that....

Dubs as with any sport surely you can not compare the old days to now, be it football, cricket, cycling or whatever.

The old game was slow, based on technique, not giving your wicket away, of not losing. I loved it. Watching it was like fishing, slow, relaxing and if the weather was great you could even go to sleep for a bit! Crowds were respectful, the game was beautiful in a sedate and very English way! Oh the sound of leather on ball (not balls that’s just the public school boys)!

Kids nowadays would have hated it.

Yes technique has gone but in its place has come entertainment, noisy crowds, increases in runs per over, less drawn games, fitter athletic fielders, great catches, different formats so you can catch a game after work if you want, even their equivalent of VAR is great.

Yes it is different, better for some but give me Wisden and a deckchair in the sun and no one within 30 yards of me so that I can watch the technique any day.

holmleighchris
26-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Very handy thing, an arse. You would be in trouble without one!
Top 6 could all be replaced...but by who?

Leicesterbaggie
26-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Have always been a fan of Woakes but must admit that he hasn't had the best of times of late. Having said this, all players, with the odd exception, have their down periods. Hopefully, Woakes can come out of this bad patch as when he is playing well he is a great asset to the side.

Dubbag
26-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Dubs as with any sport surely you can not compare the old days to now, be it football, cricket, cycling or whatever.

The old game was slow, based on technique, not giving your wicket away, of not losing. I loved it. Watching it was like fishing, slow, relaxing and if the weather was great you could even go to sleep for a bit! Crowds were respectful, the game was beautiful in a sedate and very English way! Oh the sound of leather on ball (not balls that’s just the public school boys)!

Kids nowadays would have hated it.

Yes technique has gone but in its place has come entertainment, noisy crowds, increases in runs per over, less drawn games, fitter athletic fielders, great catches, different formats so you can catch a game after work if you want, even their equivalent of VAR is great.

Yes it is different, better for some but give me Wisden and a deckchair in the sun and no one within 30 yards of me so that I can watch the technique any day.

All very well made points Yarm......and I do agree all manor of life evolves...and can not be avoided.
However, some old things survive very well today in this modern era. Perhaps our concept of entertainment is evolving.
I guess quality never really shows its age...which is why somethings and some people are timeless...O:)

mickd1961
26-08-2019, 11:19 AM
All very well made points Yarm......and I do agree all manor of life evolves...and can not be avoided.
However, some old things survive very well today in this modern era. Perhaps our concept of entertainment is evolving.
I guess quality never really shows its age...which is why somethings and some people are timeless...O:)

I agree with you Dub,the points made by Yarm are spot on.

I think though that there’s still a place in cricket for good old fashioned resolve and stickability at certain times.

I know Leach only faced 17 balls but he showed such solid technique and guts.

If you remember Jimmy Anderson had an amazing batting stat for the first few years of his international career where he was never out for nought and he had a lot of “not out” scores.

Him and Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann used to be a massive plus for our batting but in recent years Jimmy and Broad just seem to bat like they don’t care less anymore.

I was frustrated yesterday that we didn’t push Leach up to 9 as I thought that was a no brainier seeing as he’d opened the batting v Ireland and scored a very attractive and technically correct 93.

Last night they were discussing how to get Sam Curran into the side and I’d seriously consider leaving out Buttler for him as this would add the left arm medium fast bowling option and Curran bats in a correct fashion and very responsively.

The other option is to play Bairstow purely as a batsman and play our best wicket keeper Foakes as he too is a very good batsman.

I’d like to try a new opener but I can’t see them dropping both Roy and Denly.

I’d look at this line up......

Burns

Denly

Root

Stokes

Bairstow

Roy or Buttler or Curran

Foakes as wicket keeper

Archer

Leach

Broad

Anderson

Dubbag
26-08-2019, 11:44 AM

I think though that there’s still a place in cricket for good old fashioned resolve and stickability at certain times.

I remember reading about how the great Don Bradman use to train as a very young child. He would throw a golf ball against an uneven wall and bat it back with a single stump...not a bat a stump. His father use to say they could never get him in for tea or food...all they would hear is the continued sound of the bounce of the golf ball of the wall.
I think one day his mother went out annoyed that he had not come in when called...and she went to give him an ear full she was amazed to see him smacking the golf ball with full gusto against the wall and batting it back each time...never missing.
She ran back in, I believe and told her husband he will play for Australia
There is the basic skill in that sport...that they great Don trained himself to perfection.
Ronnie Wheelan use do the same when we were children growing up. He didn't just play football like the rest of us...he trained himself with a ball against a wall or anything he could find. He would kick a ball against a bus stop and react instantly to where it might go...
Basics are still important.........I like test matches...

mickd1961
26-08-2019, 12:08 PM
I remember reading about how the great Don Bradman use to train as a very young child. He would throw a golf ball against an uneven wall and bat it back with a single stump...not a bat a stump. His father use to say they could never get him in for tea or food...all they would hear is the continued sound of the bounce of the golf ball of the wall.
I think one day his mother went out annoyed that he had not come in when called...and she went to give him an ear full she was amazed to see him smacking the golf ball with full gusto against the wall and batting it back each time...never missing.
She ran back in, I believe and told her husband he will play for Australia
There is the basic skill in that sport...that they great Don trained himself to perfection.
Ronnie Wheelan use do the same when we were children growing up. He didn't just play football like the rest of us...he trained himself with a ball against a wall or anything he could find. He would kick a ball against a bus stop and react instantly to where it might go...
Basics are still important.........I like test matches...

You brought back some distant memories there Dub for me personally.

As a kid I once moaned to my dad when he didn’t fancy a kick about with me.

We were in Yorkshire on holiday and had gone to his mum and dad’s old Yorkshire stone cottage so he took me outside into the yard and pointed to the side wall of the house.

“Kick it against that like I used to do” he said.

He was an only child and had to self amuse a lot of the time.

So I tried it and moaned at the inconsistency of the way the ball came back off the wall due to the irregular shape of the stones.

My dad was a very good non league centre forward with a great first touch even when he was playing with our kids in his 60’s and he attributed it to using that wall for hundreds of hours.

From then on I used our multiple walled back garden for football and cricket practice and played cricket with myself using a golf ball as well although I was no Brahman 😆

I also used it for catching practice as well and even now I can still pluck out great catches when we muck around in the garden.

It’s all about training the brain as it sticks forever I think.....like riding a bike.

I once read that the great South African fielder Jonty Rhodes used to ping a tennis ball around his living room an kitchen whilst he was on a day of just so he could constantly hone his reflexes.

It’s all about the hard work.

Dubbag
26-08-2019, 01:28 PM
You brought back some distant memories there Dub for me personally.

As a kid I once moaned to my dad when he didn’t fancy a kick about with me.

We were in Yorkshire on holiday and had gone to his mum and dad’s old Yorkshire stone cottage so he took me outside into the yard and pointed to the side wall of the house.

“Kick it against that like I used to do” he said.

He was an only child and had to self amuse a lot of the time.

So I tried it and moaned at the inconsistency of the way the ball came back off the wall due to the irregular shape of the stones.

My dad was a very good non league centre forward with a great first touch even when he was playing with our kids in his 60’s and he attributed it to using that wall for hundreds of hours.

From then on I used our multiple walled back garden for football and cricket practice and played cricket with myself using a golf ball as well although I was no Brahman 😆

I also used it for catching practice as well and even now I can still pluck out great catches when we muck around in the garden.

It’s all about training the brain as it sticks forever I think.....like riding a bike.

I once read that the great South African fielder Jonty Rhodes used to ping a tennis ball around his living room an kitchen whilst he was on a day of just so he could constantly hone his reflexes.

It’s all about the hard work.

I enjoyed reading your post Mick.
Thanks....

WBA1955
26-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Well, i think they probably read my comments about them and thought, well we'll jolly well show him what we are made of. Top hole, hooray for Harry and GSTQ.

TipperaryBaggie
26-08-2019, 04:32 PM

I know Leach only faced 17 balls but he showed such solid technique and guts.

If you remember Jimmy Anderson had an amazing batting stat for the first few years of his international career where he was never out for nought and he had a lot of “not out” scores.

Him and Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann used to be a massive plus for our batting but in recent years Jimmy and Broad just seem to bat like they don’t care less anymore.

I was frustrated yesterday that we didn’t push Leach up to 9 as I thought that was a no brainier seeing as he’d opened the batting v Ireland and scored a very attractive and technically correct 93.

Last night they were discussing how to get Sam Curran into the side and I’d seriously consider leaving out Buttler for him as this would add the left arm medium fast bowling option and Curran bats in a correct fashion and very responsively.

The other option is to play Bairstow purely as a batsman and play our best wicket keeper Foakes as he too is a very good batsman.

I’d like to try a new opener but I can’t see them dropping both Roy and Denly.

I’d look at this line up......

Burns

Denly

Root

Stokes

Bairstow

Roy or Buttler or Curran

Foakes as wicket keeper

Archer

Leach

Broad

Anderson

That line up looks good Mick and I certainly agree with you about bringing Foakes in as a specialist wicketkeeper. Curran for Buttler would seem the obvious move.

Leicesterbaggie
27-08-2019, 02:56 PM
I have to admit that I've thought a lot about the selection of the side but am still no wiser in my own mind. There are pluses and minuses in all the permutations. However, another issue for me is how fit is Anderson. The selectors must be 100% sure that he can cope with a 5 day test as we just cannot afford for him to 'pull up' half way through a game as he did at Edgbaston. Glad it's all someone else's decision!

9goals2hattricks3pen
27-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Seems that everytime it gets close and a team needs a bit of bottle there is only ever one winner.

Headingly 81 Aus need 130 Eng win by 18
Edgbaston 81 Aus need 140 Eng win by 29
Oval 97 Aus need 124 Eng win by19
Melbourne 99 Aus 175 Eng win by 12 runs
Edgbaston 2005 Eng win 2 runs

Headingly 2019 England show how to run chase.

PS We need a specialist opener in there. Get one in leave out Roy or Buttler.

kettering_baggie
27-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Unless the match is drawn, there is always only ever only one winner!