PDA

View Full Version : Neil Cox - Evening Post

Supporter since 1951
02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Having read his comments in the Evening Post today I can see why the team are failing and not responding to instructions on the pitch - they don't have to because they are being cocooned and protected. I really believe that if this is the management's approach to the modern game they should resign as this team will not be going anywhere but down.

JoePass
02-09-2019, 08:56 PM
Having read his comments in the Evening Post today I can see why the team are failing and not responding to instructions on the pitch - they don't have to because they are being cocooned and protected. I really believe that if this is the management's approach to the modern game they should resign as this team will not be going anywhere but down.

We better shut up shop then.

Chicken Balti Pie
02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Stop being overdramatic. We lost a game we should have won with a squad that has been put together less than a month ago. Let's get a grip

Supporter since 1951
02-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Stop being overdramatic. We lost a game we should have won with a squad that has been put together less than a month ago. Let's get a grip

It's not about losing one game and being overdramatic. This pattern of failure is in Month 21 now however the team is constituted and putting arms round players and saying "there, there diddums" isn't going to bring success because the teams we play against are out to win at any cost and Notts are well known as walk-overs.

SwalePie
02-09-2019, 11:33 PM
The full 15 minute interview with NC is worth a watch on PiesPlayer.

queenslandpie
03-09-2019, 02:22 AM
The op has a point. But it's poorly executed.

There is in my mind a strong school of thought that ex league teams who end up in this division adopt a league team mentality. I am far from convinced that mentality works. Notts have largely signed ex league players on I assume league wages and have a league manager ( arguably!). Look at the teams at the top of the Vanarama and tell me I am wrong. I am not suggesting we go part-time but I think adjusting to your surroundings helps you be more successful. I am not convinced we have.

i961pie
03-09-2019, 04:40 AM
It's not about losing one game and being overdramatic. This pattern of failure is in Month 21 now however the team is constituted and putting arms round players and saying "there, there diddums" isn't going to bring success because the teams we play against are out to win at any cost and Notts are well known as walk-overs..

Are you Mig by any chance? He's been strangely absent lately.

kill_the_drum
03-09-2019, 05:00 AM
The op has a point. But it's poorly executed.

There is in my mind a strong school of thought that ex league teams who end up in this division adopt a league team mentality. I am far from convinced that mentality works. Notts have largely signed ex league players on I assume league wages and have a league manager ( arguably!). Look at the teams at the top of the Vanarama and tell me I am wrong. I am not suggesting we go part-time but I think adjusting to your surroundings helps you be more successful. I am not convinced we have.

I don’t get your point?
What is a league mentality compared to non league?
Too much is being made of the standard of this league and how we need to adjust. Most teams are professional so it’s just league 5 really. We just need to improve but in the same way we needed to improve in league 2, but never did. We need a period of continuity. Pick a system and stick to it. Make sure that whole squad know exactly what is expected of them.
We have ability, but seem to lack in desire and grit.
We concede so many goals from set pieces. That’s not tactics it’s individuals repeatedly not winning their battles.

slack_pie
03-09-2019, 07:01 AM
I don’t get your point?
What is a league mentality compared to non league?
Too much is being made of the standard of this league and how we need to adjust. Most teams are professional so it’s just league 5 really. We just need to improve but in the same way we needed to improve in league 2, but never did. We need a period of continuity. Pick a system and stick to it. Make sure that whole squad know exactly what is expected of them.
We have ability, but seem to lack in desire and grit.
We concede so many goals from set pieces. That’s not tactics it’s individuals repeatedly not winning their battles.

I agree with this. People keep going on about 'non-league' football like it's a different sport altogether, like it needs a completely different approach to L2 in order to figure it out. That's *******s. It's just like L2 but slightly worse. If we have players that have mostly played in L2 or L1, they should be better than players who have mostly played in the NL.

LaxtonLad
03-09-2019, 07:26 AM
I agree with this. People keep going on about 'non-league' football like it's a different sport altogether, like it needs a completely different approach to L2 in order to figure it out. That's *******s. It's just like L2 but slightly worse. If we have players that have mostly played in L2 or L1, they should be better than players who have mostly played in the NL.

Yes, slack_pie, my thoughts too. Apart from the huge difference between the Premiership and the Championship there's not a great deal of difference between the Championship and L1, L1 and L2, and L2 and the National League. The team in the lower league being slightly worse, as you say. If the club in the lower league signed players from higher leagues then it SHOULD make for a better team of players, but then comes The Law of Magpie Failure. Briefly this states that any player Notts sign from a club a league higher automatically becomes of a standard a league lower.

crazyfists
03-09-2019, 11:35 AM
I have been thinking myself over Ardleys reign but most definitely this season that the lack of concentration sometimes is because they know they'll be no come back from management. You don't want your players frightened to express themselves but you want them to fear the consequences of not doing the bread and butter type actions 100% everytime. There's none of this in Ardleys tenure. We had a good few games when he signed those players Jan cause of their boost then won away at Carlisle after I sent in that letter telling the players what he should have been telling them (not congratulating myself just saying that letter shouldn't have needed to be sent in the first place, he should be telling them that) then since then there's still a lack of (for me) passion and the concentration isn't what it should be.

Instead of putting their arm around them then kick them up the ****ing arse sometimes. Even Ardley post match is always like no point being too hard on them, yes there is sometimes, the need to know there's consequences to their actions.