PDA

View Full Version : Mankind will end so why do we bother?

mickd1961
15-09-2019, 12:47 AM
Just asking for a friend?

9goals2hattricks3pen
15-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Having the last BBQ of the year watching the last day of Test cricket of the season round a mates. Glass of beer in one hand, burger in the other. Wives, kids and grandkids in attendance. Everyone in the garden looks happy even the Aussie..

It's enough for me.

Pugmitch
15-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Blimey 923, you’re easily pleased!

mickd1961
15-09-2019, 04:57 PM

The next habitable galaxy is 4 light years away.

One light year is a distance of 6 trillion miles so that makes the next galaxy 24 trillion miles away.

Even if we could travel at the speed of light it would take us 137 years travelling non stop at the speed of light to travel it.

FFS.....it takes me 45 minutes from Chaddesley Corbett to The Hawthorns!

Everything is pointless.

9goals2hattricks3pen
15-09-2019, 05:49 PM

Yes.
and
Why not?

9goals2hattricks3pen
15-09-2019, 05:52 PM

One light year is a distance of 6 trillion miles so that makes the next galaxy 24 trillion miles away.

Even if we could travel at the speed of light it would take us 137 years travelling non stop at the speed of light to travel it.

Everything is pointless.

Few of us just going down to the beach to watch the sun go down behind the West Pier. I don't find that pointless.

Dubbag
15-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Just asking for a friend?

It is a very interesting thread you started Mick...
The statement appeals mainly to the individual's deep belief. A deep belief is like a root command embedded in your subconscious mind put there by your parents, siblings, schooling, society in general and a multitude of your own life experiences as you grow. The difficulty is that the vast majority of people are not aware on a conscious level, just what it is they truly believe.
But weather you are aware or not....you make your life decisions based on these root commands that are deeply embedded in your subconscious mind....regardless of weather what you believe is right or not....
Belief in death is a common held belief held by the vast majority of humans the world over. We are closing in on an extraordinary time to be alive and to be human......

Science is concluding that all is not what it appears to be after all. Climate science is pointing to a very disturbing time just a head (and I don't mean decades) and we need to change and rapidly...which wont happen presently.
Evidence based science is aware we have entered an extinction phase in evolution. We are in it as conscious beings....but would appear to be asleep. Nature (evolution) is not a respecter of ignorance.
If a child walks into a gunpowder shed with a lighted candle....nature will not make any allowances for the action....and the child will in all likely hood get blown up.
When people walked along the beaches of Thailand in 2004 wondering where the sea had gone...nature didn't say..."oh those poor ignorant people don't understand what is about to happen...I'll stop until there ready"
Human beings are here to stay on planet earth.....but just not everyone....or so it would appear!

mickd1961
15-09-2019, 09:52 PM
It is a very interesting thread you started Mick...
The statement appeals mainly to the individual's deep belief. A deep belief is like a root command embedded in your subconscious mind put there by your parents, siblings, schooling, society in general and a multitude of your own life experiences as you grow. The difficulty is that the vast majority of people are not aware on a conscious level, just what it is they truly believe.
But weather you are aware or not....you make your life decisions based on these root commands that are deeply embedded in your subconscious mind....regardless of weather what you believe is right or not....
Belief in death is a common held belief held by the vast majority of humans the world over. We are closing in on an extraordinary time to be alive and to be human......

Science is concluding that all is not what it appears to be after all. Climate science is pointing to a very disturbing time just a head (and I don't mean decades) and we need to change and rapidly...which wont happen presently.
Evidence based science is aware we have entered an extinction phase in evolution. We are in it as conscious beings....but would appear to be asleep. Nature (evolution) is not a respecter of ignorance.
If a child walks into a gunpowder shed with a lighted candle....nature will not make any allowances for the action....and the child will in all likely hood get blown up.
When people walked along the beaches of Thailand in 2004 wondering where the sea had gone...nature didn't say..."oh those poor ignorant people don't understand what is about to happen...I'll stop until there ready"
Human beings are here to stay on planet earth.....but just not everyone....or so it would appear!

Last year one of the dentists at my practice retired and then died very quickly from dementia in his early 60’s.

A brilliantly talented man and a great bloke.

I thought about all that training he’d done and his 40 year career,all that knowledge is now dust.

Same with Stephen Hawking......mankind has to lose a brain as fantastic as that.

We are less than a gnat bite on an elephant’s a r s e in reality.

phild
16-09-2019, 06:30 AM
Was God from an alien race of a higher intelligence who went on to create a computer game in which we as mankind simply exist in a computer simulation? Life, Universe and everything that exists, is all but artificial and It can't be proved that it aint so.

kettering_baggie
16-09-2019, 09:32 AM

Everything is pointless.

A recent tv programme on the possible development of alternative propulsion systems for space travel suggested that a plasma drive could take a space craft to Proxima B in about 2000 years. Another system under investigation is one that uses light as the means of propulsion and it was estimated that if it could be successfully developed, it could take a spacecraft to Proxima B in about 20 years. However, although it has been suggested that Proxima B could well have conditions to support life, a few years ago a huge solar flare from it’s Sun, which is closer to the planet than we are to our Sun, May have been lethal to any life that may have been there. Science moves on though, exciting developments lie ahead if we don’t ruin this planet in the meantime.

Albionic68
16-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Was God from an alien race of a higher intelligence who went on to create a computer game in which we as mankind simply exist in a computer simulation? Life, Universe and everything that exists, is all but artificial and It can't be proved that it aint so.

Cogito, ergo sum (René Descartes).

Leicesterbaggie
16-09-2019, 10:00 AM
This is all getting too deep for me!

mickd1961
16-09-2019, 10:01 AM
A recent tv programme on the possible development of alternative propulsion systems for space travel suggested that a plasma drive could take a space craft to Proxima B in about 2000 years. Another system under investigation is one that uses light as the means of propulsion and it was estimated that if it could be successfully developed, it could take a spacecraft to Proxima B in about 20 years. However, although it has been suggested that Proxima B could well have conditions to support life, a few years ago a huge solar flare from it’s Sun, which is closer to the planet than we are to our Sun, May have been lethal to any life that may have been there. Science moves on though, exciting developments lie ahead if we don’t ruin this planet in the meantime.

My points really is Kets......the universe itself is due to become and emptiness of nothing billions of years from now according to the scientists.

So whatever we do now and in the future is for nothing......at some point nothing will exist just like prior to the Big Bang.

It’s like knowing the date of your own death....there’s some things you’re better off not knowing.

Wonder if we can beat Huddersfield before the universe ends?

Leicesterbaggie
16-09-2019, 10:53 AM
My points really is Kets......the universe itself is due to become and emptiness of nothing billions of years from now according to the scientists.

So whatever we do now and in the future is for nothing......at some point nothing will exist just like prior to the Big Bang.

It’s like knowing the date of your own death....there’s some things you’re better off not knowing.

Wonder if we can beat Huddersfield before the universe ends?

The way they're playing and if we don't beat them it might as well end!

phild
16-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Cogito, ergo sum (René Descartes).

Descartes only thought he was real, he was programmed to say that. lol

WBA1955
16-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Everything is pointless.

If we travelled at the speed of light it would take us one hundred thousand years to cross our own galaxy. There are enough stars in our galaxy to fill a swimming pool if they were grains of salt, and enough stars in the universe to fill every beach on earth if they were grains of sand. Some people think they are important, i find that laughable. We are just bits of bacteria on a rock in the middle of nowhere.

Dubbag
16-09-2019, 08:03 PM
the universe itself is due to become and emptiness of nothing billions of years from now according to the scientists.

Science is good but take all knowledge with a pinch of salt..Einstein put his theory of relativity together on the back of a false premiss...he thought the Universe was static until Edwin Hubble proved that it was expanding....He was wrong about the Quantum world...which is the greatest theory ever uncovered by man. He died before the evidence confirmed he was wrong.
And I always remember reading about the Wright brothers just before they flew...the science community all but tore them to threads saying it was impossible.......have a read of this article...
One reason why nearly everyone in the United States was disinclined to swallow the reports about flying with a machine heavier than air was that important scientists had already explained in the public prints why the thing was impossible. When a man of the profound scientific wisdom of Simon Newcomb, for example, had demonstrated with unassailable logic why man couldn't fly, why should the public be fooled by silly stories about two obscure bicycle repairmen who hadn't even been to college? In an article in the Independent—October 22, 1903, less than two months before the Wrights flew—Professor Newcomb not only proved that trying to fly was nonsense, but went farther and showed that even if a man did fly, he wouldn't dare to stop. "Once he slackens his speed, down he begins to fall…Once he stops, he falls a dead mass. How shall he reach the ground without destroying his delicate machinery? I do not think that even the most imaginative inventor has yet even put on paper a demonstrative, successful way of meeting this difficulty."

Though these pooh-poohing articles by Newcomb and other scientists were probably read by relatively few people, they were seen by editors, editorial writers, and others, and thus indirectly had much influence on public opinion. Naturally no editor who knew a thing couldn't be done would permit his paper to record the fact that it had been done.

When you enter the Physics world...be careful who you get your information from......
Some of these very same people today were saying years ago there were no planets around other suns and that we were alone...what preposterous arrogance. There are no certainty in science only probabilities.....There is a lot pseudoscience out there Mick...

holmleighchris
17-09-2019, 06:50 AM
I am everything. Once I am gone there is nothing. No one else matters.
Anyway must go. Time for my porridge.

Albionic68
17-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Porridge is the Devil's spunk...... just saying XD .

9goals2hattricks3pen
22-09-2019, 01:54 PM
"Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious . . . In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another."

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan