PDA

View Full Version : Attendance

Big Bob
28-09-2019, 11:18 PM
Says there was just over 9000 today. Looked more than that

Old_pie
29-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Still a lot of supporters short of the 17,000+ v Crewe 18 months ago. Going to take a lot to return to those levels.

pravda_plc
29-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Why do football fans reckon they can judge the size of a crowd at a glance but electronic turnstiles / computers cannot?

pravda_plc
29-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Still a lot of supporters short of the 17,000+ v Crewe 18 months ago. Going to take a lot to return to those levels.

Simple solution Old-pie : Kick the Danes out and get Big Alan Hardy back, he knew how to reel the crowds in
You know it makes sense !!

XD

BigFatPie
29-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Simple solution Old-pie : Kick the Danes out and get Big Alan Hardy back, he knew how to reel the crowds in
You know it makes sense !!

XD

I know we’re still in the ‘new owners can’t do anything wrong’ phase of Notts ownership, but I didn’t think the offer yesterday was marketed as well as previous discounts.

Bit disappointing not to crack 10,000.

bridpie78
29-09-2019, 10:12 AM
I know we’re still in the ‘new owners can’t do anything wrong’ phase of Notts ownership, but I didn’t think the offer yesterday was marketed as well as previous discounts.

Agree , the one thing AH could do well was hype things up........look how excited we all got about Enzio...fooled me

upthemaggies
29-09-2019, 10:22 AM

Suggests being a non-league club rather than a 4th tier outfit makes all the difference to a very significant number of people, though maybe that's a too easy and lazy explanation.

It begs the question that for us to fill the ground for something other than an extremely important or obvious box office fixture, can the floating support only be galvanized by an ultra-enthusiastic (deluded) visionary figurehead on a road to Damascus?

optipez
29-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Didn't Crewe being a couple of thousand? The away followings make a big difference to these deals.

bridpie78
29-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Suggests being a non-league club rather than a 4th tier outfit makes all the difference to a very significant number of people, though maybe that's a too easy and lazy explanation.

It begs the question that for us to fill the ground for something other than an extremely important or obvious box office fixture, can the floating support only be galvanized by an ultra-enthusiastic (deluded) visionary figurehead on a road to Damascus?

I think recent unpredictable form, the fact its early season and there was little riding on the game and poor performances in prior games played apart as well as a tiny away following from Fylde
I would imagine the game against Chesterfield will be a bigger crowd if they were to put some sort of an offer on for that one we could definitely have a crack at the record National league attendance

60YearsAPie
29-09-2019, 10:41 AM
We were 2nd in League 4 and favourites for promotion at the time of the Crewe game, who as optipez says brought a couple of thousand or so with them.

Before yesterdays game we were a mid-table League 5 team who'd won 2 out of our previous 6 home games this season.

Maybe it would have been nice to beat the League 5 attendance record but in the overall scheme of things is of little consequence.

nw6pie
29-09-2019, 10:46 AM
For the 15,000 against Cambridge last season, they brought about 2,000, I think. Disappointing not to get 10k yesterday, but I’m sure we had offers under the Trews where we didn’t get close to 9,000 so overall it’s still pretty decent. We can definitely get over 11,000 toward the end of the season if we’re challenging for promotion.

Notts78
29-09-2019, 10:57 AM
We were 2nd in League 4 and favourites for promotion at the time of the Crewe game, who as optipez says brought a couple of thousand or so with them.

Before yesterdays game we were a mid-table League 5 team who'd won 2 out of our previous 6 home games this season.

Maybe it would have been nice to beat the League 5 attendance record but in the overall scheme of things is of little consequence.

Surely if anything we were a mid table League 3 team? Or a 5th division side. We can’t be described as League 5 side when in the conference it’s the division/league that sits directly below League 2.

upthemaggies
29-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Surely if anything we were a mid table League 3 team? Or a 5th division side. We can’t be described as League 5 side when in the conference it’s the division/league that sits directly below League 2.

The 2nd most stupid thing the FL ever did was renumbering the divisions in 1991. *The* most stupid thing they ever did was re-numbering them yet again in 2004. What has it achieved other than causing lasting confusion for ever more? Does anybody in the 3rd tier feel as though they're in a healthier position than they actually are because it's called "League One"? It really gets my goat.

bridpie78
29-09-2019, 11:07 AM
The 2nd most stupid thing the FL ever did was renumbering the divisions in 1991. *The* most stupid thing they ever did was re-numbering them yet again in 2004. What has it achieved other than causing lasting confusion for ever more? Does anybody in the 3rd tier feel as though they're in a healthier position than they actually are because it's called "League One"? It really gets my goat.

XD XD XD 15 years mate,maybe its time to let it go XD

jackal2
29-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Yes I didn't think it was promoted as much as previous offers. Perhaps it's impressionistic but I just didn't hear the same 'noise' as when we did the "Two for Crewe" promotion and it was seen and heard everywhere. I thought this was more low-key.

A mate of mine said it was "all over Facebook", but if that's the case it won't be seen by me. It's a perfectly good idea to use social media as one means of promoting something, but there's still no substitute for the old fashioned ways of promotion alongside it.

On the plus side, over 9000 fans will have gone home happy with the result, but I think we could have been hitting 12,000 at least if more people had known, despite the fact that we're not in a 'glamour' league.

60YearsAPie
29-09-2019, 11:57 AM

🙄

upthemaggies
29-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Yes I didn't think it was promoted as much as previous offers. Perhaps it's impressionistic but I just didn't hear the same 'noise' as when we did the "Two for Crewe" promotion and it was seen and heard everywhere. I thought this was more low-key.

Right, which would reflect the personalities of the owners. The Reedtz brothers can't be, or shouldn't try to be, anything other than who they are, but this demonstrates how you can't or rarely have it all. Hardy was a disaster in the end but, as much as most would now shirk to admit, there were positive sides to him and his ability to drum up support was quite exceptional.

Old_pie
29-09-2019, 12:42 PM

There are no doubt lots of factors. Through performances we've not capitalised on building on support and whilst it is an excellent crowd for non-league (Bournmouth only manage a few more) the opportunities to build on some of the figures we've had have squandered.

My understanding that the offer was a reward to those that had stayed loyal to the club through the thick and thin of the past few months and as such possibly it was right not to promote it the Hardy way.

And it must bring comfort to the owners to know there is still a level of support for the club assuming that tickets weren't being thrown around to reluctant schoolkids.

MagicBoots
29-09-2019, 01:01 PM

This.

Completely agree. I work in an environment where I am speaking to colleagues in overseas offices, or even when on holiday, and the number of times when football comes up and you have to say we are in division 2 but its really the fourth tier, and then have to try to explain why league 2 is actually league 4 is tiresome. I never understood the need for it in the first place and still don't now. I only hope eventually they rename the championship to Premier League 2, then a few years later the League 1, might be a candidate for Premier League 3, and then finally we may see league 2 becoming Premier League 4, and normal service (and common sense) would be restored !

bridpie78
29-09-2019, 01:26 PM
This.

Completely agree. I work in an environment where I am speaking to colleagues in overseas offices, or even when on holiday, and the number of times when football comes up and you have to say we are in division 2 but its really the fourth tier, and then have to try to explain why league 2 is actually league 4 is tiresome. I never understood the need for it in the first place and still don't now. I only hope eventually they rename the championship to Premier League 2, then a few years later the League 1, might be a candidate for Premier League 3, and then finally we may see league 2 becoming Premier League 4, and normal service (and common sense) would be restored !

Luckily we're not in L2 anymore and we can just call the National league the vauxhall conference

maddogslater
29-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Hardy did a lot with giving blocks of tickets to schools etc for the Crewe Cambridge games

Dunce
29-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Theres plenty of time to smash that record. The last game against Yeovil, when we only need a point to get the championship. Now thats ladies and gentlemen, will be an afternoon to remember. 👍

slack_pie
29-09-2019, 03:12 PM
The Fylde game definitely wasn't promoted as much as the previous offer. In fact, if I hadn't mentioned the offer to a couple of people, I doubt they would have heard about it/gone. Before the Crewe game, people in my office (not Notts fans) were talking about the offer, and a few ended up going with their families.

Still, 9k isn't bad at this level. As others have said Crewe/Cambridge brought at least 2k with them, and both games were more important. I reckon if we are up there at the end of the season, we might be able to beat the non-league record. We'll probably get around 9k again for the Chesterfield game, or at least we would if they weren't imploding.

Anyone know what the non-league record for average attendance is? I guess either Luton or Bristol Rovers would have it. That would be much more impressive to break.

Edit: I've just seen that Luton averaged 7387 during their promotion season from the NL. No way we'll beat that!

ncfcog
29-09-2019, 03:21 PM
I think previously loads of free tickets were also given away to schools. Would have been many going to those games with the offers on for nothing. Not sure if that was the case yesterday?

LilCrazyKim
29-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Hardy did a lot with giving blocks of tickets to schools etc for the Crewe Cambridge games

A few businesses block bought tickets for their staff for the Crewe and Cambridge games too. I don't remember seeing that being done this time around. 9,000 is still a great turnout for an early season game without much riding on it.