PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vinnie Jones

sidders
06-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Been reading a sad story about 'hard man' Vinnie Jones crying himself to sleep every night since the death of his wife Tanya in July. They both contracted skin cancer - melanoma - Vinnie's responded to treatment while his wife fought the condition for 6 years but lost in the end.
I am baffled by the number of people - particularly younger men and construction workers - who fail to protect themselves against the sun by either wearing clothing or using a sunblock. I bet there are a fair number who use this board.

upthemaggies
06-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Been reading a sad story about 'hard man' Vinnie Jones crying himself to sleep every night since the death of his wife Tanya in July. They both contracted skin cancer - melanoma - Vinnie's responded to treatment while his wife fought the condition for 6 years but lost in the end.
I am baffled by the number of people - particularly younger men and construction workers - who fail to protect themselves against the sun by either wearing clothing or using a sunblock. I bet there are a fair number who use this board.

A high profile case such as this will probably encourage at least a few to take more care. Doesn't help when you're made to feel as though you're ill / inferior / unfashionable for being too pale.

ncfcog
06-10-2019, 12:13 PM
A high profile case such as this will probably encourage at least a few to take more care. Doesn't help when you're made to feel as though you're ill / inferior / unfashionable for being too pale.

Yep, unfortunately image pressure is immense right now, especially for the younger generations, not sure it affects the likes of some of us on here mind!

I know schools are trying to deal with this from a young age but they have a battle on their hands when they have the media constantly pumping out reality shows like Love Island, Ex in the Beach, Geordie Shore, Made In Chelsea, The Only Way Is Es*** etc etc and then of course there’s the Kim Kardashian’s of the world doing their bit as well as the Instagram influence.

I do worry for kids today, the pressure on them to fit in must be awful.

Notsohumblepie
06-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Yep, unfortunately image pressure is immense right now, especially for the younger generations, not sure it affects the likes of some of us on here mind!

I know schools are trying to deal with this from a young age but they have a battle on their hands when they have the media constantly pumping out reality shows like Love Island, Ex in the Beach, Geordie Shore, Made In Chelsea, The Only Way Is Es*** etc etc and then of course there’s the Kim Kardashian’s of the world doing their bit as well as the Instagram influence.

I do worry for kids today, the pressure on them to fit in must be awful.

Facebook et al, have a great deal to answer for .

Also the sales of photo enhancing software must be enormous. The problem then emerges when people actually meet in the " real world", and disappointment ensues . At this rate, genuine social interaction will rapidly become extinct.

kill_the_drum
06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
I had a melanoma removed 4 years ago from the back of my calf when I was 35.
Normally I don’t go to the doctors because I’m too busy but I just happened to be off work and managed to get in same day. Luckily it hadn’t spread so the removal was all I needed apart from quarterly checkups.
Prior to that I’d constantly get sun burnt, particularly when I spent a year in Oz.
It’s one of those things that you just don’t think twice about and don’t think it would ever happen to you.
I’m glad it happened as since then I’ve noticed moles on a family member and a colleague that were also cancerous but hadn’t spread.

queenslandpie
07-10-2019, 09:39 AM
As someone who lives in a very hot part of the world that coincidentally has very little ozone left I agree. I've seen what the sun does and its frightening. Although most people here are fairly clued up nowadays and there are skin check clinics everywhere. Edit - although we still have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.