PDA

View Full Version : Match ratings v Torquay

navypie
12-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Thougt I would have a go
Slocombe.... Every time I see this lad he impresses me more.......8
Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
Turner........ Average. Only joking, the man is a colossus......8
Rawlinson.......My MOTM, thought the lad had a cracking game.......9
Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
Doyele.....Ummmmmm, ok I suppose......7
Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
Enzio.......... Moving on..6
Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8
Big Bert......Not his best game but always a starter for me....7.5

Subs..........All 7.

Robertomac
12-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Thougt I would have a go
Brindley...... Don't hit it yer t@@t. Yessssss. Is this lad related to Bill? Brilliant.....8.5
Baygo..........Very good defensively , if only his crossing could improve....7.5
Rose........Improved on recent performances but nowhere near last seasons level......7
Shields ......Not impressed at all Tuesday but was today, looks like he could be a real asset.......8
Dennis........I love the menace, sees things others dont and what a finish, again.....8

Subs..........All 7.

I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.

freemuzzy
12-10-2019, 07:03 PM
Wouldn’t disagree too much with the original ratings but I feel it was hard to distinguish between the players today. In my view it was a fairly unique match in that almost the entire 11 could’ve been named MOTM; it’s the first game I can remember in a long while that I don’t think anyone played badly.

The match overall followed a similar pattern to the previous two home games in that we took an early lead and then ceded possession for long spells to a useful-looking team, but the main difference was that Slocombe didn’t have a save to make, and for all their possession they didn’t make a chance of note until the 70th minute so we were well worth the win.

So for me it was the best performance so far; 7’s across the board with probably an 8 for Rawlinson, who I can’t remember making a mistake and produced a brilliant goal-line clearance with 20 mins to go, without which it may have been a very different ending to the game. Slocombe was very assured in his handling, Brindley scored an incredible goal and has no obvious weakness in his game, Turner and Rawlinson are surely as good a defensive pairing as there is at this level, Bakayogo played well and must be one of the best full-backs in the league that isn’t first choice.

Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; he’s now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.

Rose and Doyle gave the front four the platform on which to play; wasn’t sold on Doyle coming back in the team but he really showed how valuable he can be, winning near-enough every single second ball and barely wasting a pass in possession. Probably second only to Rawlinson in terms of the performance level today.

Wooton was well marshalled by their captain first half but gave as good as he got and came out on top in the second; Dennis has a far better all-round game than he’s given credit for, worked incredibly hard and got yet another goal. I can barely recall him playing a full game all season so his minutes/goal ratio must be outstanding.

Final word for Ardley. I am delighted for him. A month or so ago I really didn’t believe he was the man to take us forward; I didn’t think he had a clear way of playing - now we’re playing attractive football but also with a sturdiness that definitely wasn’t ever in-evidence last season. I thought he was signing way too many unnecessary players but the later additions like Booty, Wooton and Brindley have been key men.

Now I feel for the first time he’s in a relatively stable position; if we lose a game or two there’ll be no calls for his head, he has enough credit in the bank and most importantly fans will stick with him, with this squad, because they can not only see a group of players giving absolutely everything, but also a clear long-term direction/vision.

Elite_Pie
12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Slocombe 6 - the only reason he gets an average mark is because he had very little to do, apart from a bit of catching practice!
Brindley 7.5 - not only solid defensively, but a world class strike for the opener.
Rawlinson 8* - really committed performance. To say he outshone Turner says all that needs saying.
Turner 7.5 - what we have come to expect, wins far more challenges than he loses.
Bakayogo 7.5 - best game I've seen him play. Sound at both ends on the left, fortunately his injury seems minor.
Shields 7 - decent going forward and played his part defensively.
Rose 6.5 - better in the challenge than when on the ball, but had a decent game.
Doyle 7.5 - gave the back four great protection, always available for a pass, showed what an asset he can be.
Enzio 6.5 - most of his best work was done defensively, still caused them a few problems going forward.
Wootton 7 - did exactly what a target man should do, and has a fair bit of skill for a big man.
Dennis 7 - missed a sitter but scored a goal from nothing. Always looked lively.

Kelly-Evans 6.5 - probably more at home on the right, but a good option to bring on from the bench.
Booty 6 - did his job when he came on.
Thomas 6 - no real involvement but helped us see out the last few minutes.

A really good, committed performance against a decent team. The fact they were only good up to the final third is more down to our defensive shape than their failings. We actually looked like a team that is hard to beat. I'm still not quite ready to join the Ardley fan club, but he can be given nothing but credit for the last few games. Keep it going Neal and please make me apologise at the end of the season.

navypie
12-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Slocombe 6 - the only reason he gets an average mark is because he had very little to do, apart from a bit of catching practice!
Brindley 7.5 - not only solid defensively, but a world class strike for the opener.
Rawlinson 8* - really committed performance. To say he outshone Turner says all that needs saying.
Turner 7.5 - what we have come to expect, wins far more challenges than he loses.
Bakayogo 7.5 - best game I've seen him play. Sound at both ends on the left, fortunately his injury seems minor.
Shields 7 - decent going forward and played his part defensively.
Rose 6.5 - better in the challenge than when on the ball, but had a decent game.
Doyle 7.5 - gave the back four great protection, always available for a pass, showed what an asset he can be.
Enzio 6.5 - most of his best work was done defensively, still caused them a few problems going forward.
Wootton 7 - did exactly what a target man should do, and has a fair bit of skill for a big man.
Dennis 7 - missed a sitter but scored a goal from nothing. Always looked lively.

Kelly-Evans 6.5 - probably more at home on the right, but a good option to bring on from the bench.
Booty 6 - did his job when he came on.
Thomas 6 - no real involvement but helped us see out the last few minutes.

A really good, committed performance against a decent team. The fact they were only good up to the final third is more down to our defensive shape than their failings. We actually looked like a team that is hard to beat. I'm still not quite ready to join the Ardley fan club, but he can be given nothing but credit for the last few games. Keep it going Neal and please make me apologise at the end of the season.

What "sitter" ? Are you talking about when he hit it over the bar with his right foot?

Elite_Pie
12-10-2019, 07:31 PM
What "sitter" ? Are you talking about when he hit it over the bar with his right foot?

Yes.

matt_magpie
12-10-2019, 07:32 PM
I am a massive fan of Ardley but would be a liar if my views of him have slightly waived a tiny bit at times since he came, just thought last season he overthought it, but tbf the squad was awful. The only thing I think he has maybe got wrong this season is not having Rawlinson in the starting lineup earlier as he has been a colossus but then again by his own admission has been carrying injuries, I. am starting to get very excited by this season, feels like we have our club back.

navypie
12-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Yes.

He's left-footed, just like the best of us.

Elite_Pie
12-10-2019, 07:47 PM
He's left-footed, just like the best of us.

Oh right, I was unaware there was a rule that prevents him scoring with his right foot. He was about 8 yards out, no real challenge and only had to hit the target to score unless it was directly at their keeper.

Funnily enough, if you had asked me to choose any player that chance would fall to, I would have picked Krystian Dennis.

navypie
12-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Oh right, I was unaware there was a rule that prevents him scoring with his right foot. He was about 8 yards out, no real challenge and only had to hit the target to score unless it was directly at their keeper.

Funnily enough, if you had asked me to choose any player that chance would fall to, I would have picked Krystian Dennis.

There isn't a rule, makes it easier if it falls on your natural foot though.

navypie
12-10-2019, 08:20 PM
I'd agree with all those ratings. My only disappointment today was Enzio who I felt was a passenger for large parts. Unfortunately, if he's not offering any attacking options, he's just not in the game.

Enzioi is always a "disappointment" mate. He was sh1te again today.

optipez
12-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Agree with the marks, think we're looking a very hard team to beat and threatening every time we go forwards, we just have a bit of menace about us.
The strength of the squad is pretty awesome for this level, Tyson, McCrory, O'Brien not on the bench, Graham out for the season. Not sure any club in this division could cope with that kind of loss to the team and still keep getting results.

TSANHO
12-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the ratings, sounds like another good performance. Typical really, I've missed two games this year....Chorley and Torquay!

Having Jim O'Brien back after Christmas will be like a new signing!

ncfcog
12-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Thougt I would have a go

Subs..........All 7.

Have to agree with all of that although I have to speak up for Enzio. Today was not a day where he was going to be allowed to express his attacking abilities. Both he and Shields performed their defensive duties admirably. Also agree that Rawlinson had his best game for us today but to be honest it’s difficult to identify anyone who didn’t put a shift in in what was a complete and gritty performance.

Freeman25
12-10-2019, 11:13 PM
Enzio and Shields were both extremely hard-working defensively as well as threatening the other way, and both goals initiated through them. Have to stand-up for Enzio here; he’s now doing exactly what he was criticised for not doing last season and working for the team; the defensive side to his game has come on unbelievably this season.

Agreed, I was surprised to see anyone mark Enzio down (or anyone else for that matter) today, he worked his b*llocks off all game, made a few good contributions in our own 18 yard box to get rid of danger, made a few interceptions when closing players down, kept the ball well, attacked them when he could and won the corner that we scored from, albeit with a mis-hit weak looking shot but still, he was a threat and was part of a about as comfortable a performance as you're likely to see.

Edit: I'd love to know why nobody had signed Richard Brindley before we managed to snap him up, he looks like one of the best right backs we've had in years.

nw5pie
13-10-2019, 01:32 AM
I've only seen Notts once this season. At Borehamwood. It was clear to me that Brindley was a cut above the rest on the pitch. He looks a great signing.. Here's an interesting link about just why his talent has been stalling up until now... https://talksport.com/football/571623/richard-brindley-personal-tragedy-mental-health-agent-nightmare/

i961pie
13-10-2019, 04:53 AM
There isn't a rule, makes it easier if it falls on your natural foot though.

Expected him to put that one away though mate.

navypie
13-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Agreed, I was surprised to see anyone mark Enzio down (or anyone else for that matter) today, he worked his b*llocks off all game, made a few good contributions in our own 18 yard box to get rid of danger, made a few interceptions when closing players down, kept the ball well, attacked them when he could and won the corner that we scored from, albeit with a mis-hit weak looking shot but still, he was a threat and was part of a about as comfortable a performance as you're likely to see.

Edit: I'd love to know why nobody had signed Richard Brindley before we managed to snap him up, he looks like one of the best right backs we've had in years.

Feck me, did he drive everyone home as well.

MAD_MAGPIE
13-10-2019, 06:10 AM
Wouldn’t disagree too much with the original ratings but I feel it was hard to distinguish between the players today. In my view it was a fairly unique match in that almost the entire 11 could’ve been named MOTM; it’s the first game I can remember in a long while that I don’t think anyone played badly.

The match overall followed a similar pattern to the previous two home games in that we took an early lead and then ceded possession for long spells to a useful-looking team, but the main difference was that Slocombe didn’t have a save to make, and for all their possession they didn’t make a chance of note until the 70th minute so we were well worth the win.

So for me it was the best performance so far; 7’s across the board with probably an 8 for Rawlinson, who I can’t remember making a mistake and produced a brilliant goal-line clearance with 20 mins to go, without which it may have been a very different ending to the game. Slocombe was very assured in his handling, Brindley scored an incredible goal and has no obvious weakness in his game, Turner and Rawlinson are surely as good a defensive pairing as there is at this level, Bakayogo played well and must be one of the best full-backs in the league that isn’t first choice.

Rose and Doyle gave the front four the platform on which to play; wasn’t sold on Doyle coming back in the team but he really showed how valuable he can be, winning near-enough every single second ball and barely wasting a pass in possession. Probably second only to Rawlinson in terms of the performance level today.

Wooton was well marshalled by their captain first half but gave as good as he got and came out on top in the second; Dennis has a far better all-round game than he’s given credit for, worked incredibly hard and got yet another goal. I can barely recall him playing a full game all season so his minutes/goal ratio must be outstanding.

Final word for Ardley. I am delighted for him. A month or so ago I really didn’t believe he was the man to take us forward; I didn’t think he had a clear way of playing - now we’re playing attractive football but also with a sturdiness that definitely wasn’t ever in-evidence last season. I thought he was signing way too many unnecessary players but the later additions like Booty, Wooton and Brindley have been key men.

Now I feel for the first time he’s in a relatively stable position; if we lose a game or two there’ll be no calls for his head, he has enough credit in the bank and most importantly fans will stick with him, with this squad, because they can not only see a group of players giving absolutely everything, but also a clear long-term direction/vision.

This is an excellent post and sums up my thoughts completely.

With both the Dagenham and Torquay games this week I think we have seen two of the better footballing sides in this league. Not forgetting that Torquay were the leagues top goal scorers and we kept them at bay.

Whilst in the Torquay game we didn’t have as much possession as we did in the Dagenham game it was a complete team performance. All the players did their job and it’s now clear to see what kind of style we are playing and what each players role is. It was really difficult to pick a man of the match for the reason that so many players were contenders.

I’ve always been a advocate of Neil Ardley and if some fans haven’t read the webchat on the NEP website it makes for interesting reading. I’m desperate for him to bring success to this club and our league status back because he’s a genuinely decent man and thorough in all that he does. He has addressed our one major problem that we’ve had for a number of seasons and that is our defensive frailties. Players put their bodies on the line for the team now and the goalkeeper is an assured figure at the centre of this. Graham was a loss but Rawlinson has come in and is forging a good understanding with Big Ben with each passing game. Turner is a warrior and wins so much in the air and is the kind of centre back we have been missing at the club for a number of seasons.

The thing I like is that goals don’t just come from the front men. Everyone is chipping in. Also the quality of the goals this season have been something. It’s only mid October and there are so many contenders already for goal of the season.

Going to watch Notts at Meadow Lane is now a pleasure and it’s as good a feeling as what it was two years ago under Kevin Nolan in the early part of the playoff season. We are making our home a fortress and a really difficult place for teams to come. The stats tell the story. One defeat at home this season to Barnet. Five clean sheets at home in a row. I always say on here that the clean sheet is what wins titles, but let’s not get too carried away.

I think the recruitment done this summer has been excellent and the quality of player that can come on off the bench is what many teams at this level would envy. Every player we have signed brings something to the team and puts in the hard work effort and has the right attitude on the pitch. Even though we have lost key players at times, others have come in and more than stepped up.

Our club feels like it’s got its dignity and respect back within the football world and it’s excellent to see and long may it continue.

LaxtonLad
13-10-2019, 06:42 AM

Enzio is there for a reason, he has a reputation among managers. They make sure he has no space to work in by using close marking to immediately snuff out his presence, they daren't let him go, but this leads to more space for others and it works - doesn't it?

maddogslater
13-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Enzio is there for a reason, he has a reputation among managers. They make sure he has no space to work in by using close marking to immediately snuff out his presence, they daren't let him go, but this leads to more space for others and it works - doesn't it?
Your wasting your time, several on this thread are just 'ball game ' fans and haven't got a clue.

navypie
13-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Your wasting your time, several on this thread are just 'ball game ' fans and haven't got a clue.

Says the all-seeing one. Would you like me to say Enzio was good when he clearly wasn't?

i961pie
13-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Says the all-seeing one. Would you like me to say Enzio was good when he clearly wasn't?

You seem to be on your own with this one Navy:D

51Magpie
13-10-2019, 10:34 AM
I've only seen Notts once this season. At Borehamwood. It was clear to me that Brindley was a cut above the rest on the pitch. He looks a great signing.. Here's an interesting link about just why his talent has been stalling up until now... https://talksport.com/football/571623/richard-brindley-personal-tragedy-mental-health-agent-nightmare/

Thanks for the link. Well worth reading. I'm glad we're part of a turnaround for him and I hope that we can keep him as we climb the leagues. He's actually one of many that I'm happy to see playing for Notts. What a contrast with the squad from not long ago which was dominated by players who looked as though they wanted to be at any club but this one.

Elite_Pie
13-10-2019, 10:35 AM

At 2:59pm yesterday, navypie had decided that Enzio had a shyte game!

navypie
13-10-2019, 10:45 AM

I don't remember sharing my thoughts with you.

Notsohumblepie
13-10-2019, 10:50 AM

I think we may have really struck lucky here, or perhaps I should be less grudging , and give NA the credit he deserves . Lets hope they're both winners in the end

navypie
13-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Am I. I also seem to remember someone saying they hardly heard his name mentioned on commentary.

Robertomac
13-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Am I. I also seem to remember someone saying they hardly heard his name mentioned on commentary.

He looked lacking in desire on a few occasions yesterday, where it looked to me he could have won the ball. I just generally thought he didn't look like he was putting in the same effort as the others. I would have subbed him for Booty or Osborne for the last 20 mins.

navypie
13-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Then there are those lads who gump provides us with a link, only Rose got a lower rating.

navypie
13-10-2019, 11:26 AM

You really struggle when it comes to being original.

Bridg4d_Pie_
13-10-2019, 01:41 PM
This is an excellent post and sums up my thoughts completely.

With both the Dagenham and Torquay games this week I think we have seen two of the better footballing sides in this league. Not forgetting that Torquay were the leagues top goal scorers and we kept them at bay.

Whilst in the Torquay game we didn’t have as much possession as we did in the Dagenham game it was a complete team performance. All the players did their job and it’s now clear to see what kind of style we are playing and what each players role is. It was really difficult to pick a man of the match for the reason that so many players were contenders.

I’ve always been a advocate of Neil Ardley and if some fans haven’t read the webchat on the NEP website it makes for interesting reading. I’m desperate for him to bring success to this club and our league status back because he’s a genuinely decent man and thorough in all that he does. He has addressed our one major problem that we’ve had for a number of seasons and that is our defensive frailties. Players put their bodies on the line for the team now and the goalkeeper is an assured figure at the centre of this. Graham was a loss but Rawlinson has come in and is forging a good understanding with Big Ben with each passing game. Turner is a warrior and wins so much in the air and is the kind of centre back we have been missing at the club for a number of seasons.

The thing I like is that goals don’t just come from the front men. Everyone is chipping in. Also the quality of the goals this season have been something. It’s only mid October and there are so many contenders already for goal of the season.

Going to watch Notts at Meadow Lane is now a pleasure and it’s as good a feeling as what it was two years ago under Kevin Nolan in the early part of the playoff season. We are making our home a fortress and a really difficult place for teams to come. The stats tell the story. One defeat at home this season to Barnet. Five clean sheets at home in a row. I always say on here that the clean sheet is what wins titles, but let’s not get too carried away.

I think the recruitment done this summer has been excellent and the quality of player that can come on off the bench is what many teams at this level would envy. Every player we have signed brings something to the team and puts in the hard work effort and has the right attitude on the pitch. Even though we have lost key players at times, others have come in and more than stepped up.

Our club feels like it’s got its dignity and respect back within the football world and it’s excellent to see and long may it continue.

I cannot disagree with your comments, spot on let us hope come May we will be celebrating. After all the negativity regarding Neil Ardley without wishing to speak too soon it would be fantastic not only for him but the club & all the fans if we could get back to League Two.

irish_pie
13-10-2019, 09:11 PM

What an amazing read that was.

kill_the_drum
14-10-2019, 06:16 AM

A sitter? It was a volley, sideways on with a defender marking him!

Elite_Pie
14-10-2019, 07:08 AM
A sitter? It was a volley, sideways on with a defender marking him!

I would expect Dennis to finish that chance 8 times out of 10. It was much easier than the one he scored.

forwardmagpie
14-10-2019, 11:00 AM
I would expect Dennis to finish that chance 8 times out of 10. It was much easier than the one he scored.

As a winger who scored more than 250 goals at a goal a game I would have buried it (I explain to my children I never missed a chance) but for mere mortals it wasn't a sitter it was a 5 goals out of ten chance.