PDA

View Full Version : The FA Cup Conundrum ????

animallittle3
30-12-2019, 11:59 AM
We face Crewe next sunday coming off the back of 4 games in 12 days and three of them away fixtures with the solitary home game against the league leaders .

The HC in reality has 14 players to choose from and can't rotate his players to any great affect .

Survival in the championship is the only show in town , players need resting , recent knocks time to heal .

I love the FA cup , it's not the same as it was but I despair at the lack of respect many clubs now treat this competition .

Under Flickers great escape season the FA cup was a significant factor in us winning a number of ties right the way to the quarter final , gaining confidence along the way and beating the drop .

The Johnston's Paint trophy in 2016 also played a key part in our rise from the bottom of league one in December to play off triumph in May .

How do we play this one guys at Crewe next sunday ?

You are the HC , what would you do ? .

I'm going to go against my traditional stance and say give the fringe players and youngsters a go .

------------------- Collins --------------

Cavare ------ Sibbick ------ Moon ---- B Williams --

Green ------ Dougall ---- McGeehan ---- Thiam

-------------------- Wilks ---------------

---------------------- Schmidt ------------------

SBRed48
30-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Am trying to remember any of the post 2000 seasons where we we did well in the FA Cup ie Quarter or Semi Finals but also got relegated. Perhaps it meant we edda decent team in both competitions.
This season's group of kids ev enough on feyting fo points in a Championship relegation struggle. Play the second string in the Cup.

animallittle3
30-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Am trying to remember any of the post 2000 seasons where we we did well in the FA Cup ie Quarter or Semi Finals but also got relegated. Perhaps it meant we edda decent team in both competitions.
This season's group of kids ev enough on feyting fo points in a Championship relegation struggle. Play the second string in the Cup.

Yep I think it's justified this season to play a second string and we will have to accept a defeat if necessary as the better of two evils .

I don't like it by any means but I understand it .

There could be some benefit to such as Schmidt , Wilks and perhaps young Moon going forward this season .

What I will say is that we don't move away from the second string even if we negotiate a couple of rounds and draw City away in round five .

We go with what we go with in round three and do this thing right until we are knocked out .

perkytyke
30-12-2019, 01:06 PM
I'd go with that team or one close to it as well Animal i'd probably stick Bahre and Thomas in who are only getting bit parts lately, the league is more important and that team should be capable of beating the "The likes of Crewe" lol......

animallittle3
30-12-2019, 01:11 PM
I'd go with that team or one close to it as well Animal i'd probably stick Bahre and Thomas in who are only getting bit parts lately, the league is more important and that team should be capable of beating the "The likes of Crewe" lol......

Flying high are Crewe this season and will be fancying their chances on their own patch .

It would be a difficult game with the first string turning out .

It could be a very uncomfortable afternoon .

pass_and_move
30-12-2019, 01:21 PM
We went art in the 1st round of the league cup to Carlisle but didn't get any benefit. As Animal says the escape under flitcroft was a momentum thing in which our fa cup run played a significant part in building the teams confidence in the league.

Personally I'd go full strength and try and progress as far as we can in the competition. Success breeds success. It won't be the fa cup that relegates us, it'll be how we operate in the transfer market this January. What you've got to bear in mind is that the team has only had 4 victories this season and are still developing an understanding playing together. Surely more game time together is only going to enhance the feeling of confidence in each others ability. We are on a good little unbeaten run at the moment, carry it through and onwards I say and respect the competition.

Ponte_Steve24
30-12-2019, 02:55 PM
I just think what a kick in knackers getting knocked out by Crewe will be. I'd go full strength there's no guarantee we'll get survival anyway.

Romared
30-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Decent team that Animal , Styles , Simoes, and Fielding may get a chance too, although I haven't seen any Under 23s or 18s games recently ,
I'd prefer to play our strongest possible side ,, but the situation we are currently in suggests we may make some changes ,

I've been told the Millers are looking to take Green initially on loan with a view to a permanent move

SBRed48
30-12-2019, 03:48 PM
We could be swapping places wi Rovrum yet ageean this summer.

animallittle3
30-12-2019, 04:01 PM
We went art in the 1st round of the league cup to Carlisle but didn't get any benefit. As Animal says the escape under flitcroft was a momentum thing in which our fa cup run played a significant part in building the teams confidence in the league.

Personally I'd go full strength and try and progress as far as we can in the competition. Success breeds success. It won't be the fa cup that relegates us, it'll be how we operate in the transfer market this January. What you've got to bear in mind is that the team has only had 4 victories this season and are still developing an understanding playing together. Surely more game time together is only going to enhance the feeling of confidence in each others ability. We are on a good little unbeaten run at the moment, carry it through and onwards I say and respect the competition.

It's a reight conundrum Pass innit .

There's no right way and no wrong way here at all , all the opinions put forward are credible .

My biggest beef with clubs who disrespect the competition are those who are halfway or above up the PL , safe from relegation , can't reasonably expect to qualify for europe and still send out significantly weaker teams in the early rounds , many of whom pay a hefty price for it too and rightly so .

I don't like the second string lads negotiating the early rounds for their clubs and then getting binned off when they get to the quarter or semi finals either .

If we were halfway up the championship table with 30 points then I'd expect the HC to send out our best eleven but if Struber doesn't at Crewe then he won't get any pelters from me irrespective of the result because I can see why he wouldn't field our strongest team .

pass_and_move
30-12-2019, 07:14 PM
It's a reight conundrum Pass innit .

There's no right way and no wrong way here at all , all the opinions put forward are credible .

My biggest beef with clubs who disrespect the competition are those who are halfway or above up the PL , safe from relegation , can't reasonably expect to qualify for europe and still send out significantly weaker teams in the early rounds , many of whom pay a hefty price for it too and rightly so .

I don't like the second string lads negotiating the early rounds for their clubs and then getting binned off when they get to the quarter or semi finals either .

If we were halfway up the championship table with 30 points then I'd expect the HC to send out our best eleven but if Struber doesn't at Crewe then he won't get any pelters from me irrespective of the result because I can see why he wouldn't field our strongest team .

Both scenarios are understandable as you say mate. Personally, I'd guess that Struber will field a weakened team against Crewe(Mowatt n Woodrow will be sold by then XD). Being a foreigner he probably won't appreciate the magnitude of the fa cup or it's significance. His remit is to keep us up and that will obviously be his main objective. Foreign managers are notorious for criticising the amount of games we laik in English football. I'd think the FA cup will be seen as extra games we could do wi art in his eyes, hope I'm wrong mind.

Romared
30-12-2019, 08:36 PM
A think tha may be rong theer Pass ? Many foreign coaches have moor respect fo FA Cup than menny afoor em , all abart money nar , Ill evta do what's best fo board , warriva he mite se , iz ony an hired hand , in there eyes replaceable ,
Man Utd wa fust culprits wi all this mullarkey , no respect fo FA Cup choosing to laik fo money , Liverpool goowin same rooard , then Klopp starts moaning nar orr fixture pile ups and lack ov time fo teeum to recover afta flying fo hours fo what ? MOOR MONEY they make me sick

Ponte_Steve24
30-12-2019, 08:42 PM
As for Mowatt and Woodrow. I think we can stop up without them if they're replaced.

pass_and_move
30-12-2019, 08:45 PM
A think tha may be rong theer Pass ? Many foreign coaches have moor respect fo FA Cup than menny afoor em , all abart money nar , Ill evta do what's best fo board , warriva he mite se , iz ony an hired hand , in there eyes replaceable ,
Man Utd wa fust culprits wi all this mullarkey , no respect fo FA Cup choosing to laik fo money , Liverpool goowin same rooard , then Klopp starts moaning nar orr fixture pile ups and lack ov time fo teeum to recover afta flying fo hours fo what ? MOOR MONEY they make me sick

Hope I am wrong Roma mi owd. I hope he fields his best teeum and we go on a good cup run.

Thinking abart it, foreign coaches do respect it cos it wo world wide years agu and cup final day wo broadcast ivryweer. Agenda of club owners is a different thing though as tha reightly sez

pass_and_move
30-12-2019, 08:51 PM
As for Mowatt and Woodrow. I think we can stop up without them if they're replaced.

Can I ev some o what thaz ed mate ;D

Replacements this board will bring in will be untried and untested at this level which would see us back to square one quicker than tha can say 'post tax profit'

animallittle3
30-12-2019, 09:06 PM

Replaced by who ?

That's the bit that tends to feck us over .

Jules88
31-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Get out of the cup. Championship safety is the priority. I’ll take the shame of it. We have a bigger more rewarding task to focus on.

Ponte_Steve24
31-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Replaced by who ?

That's the bit that tends to feck us over .

Bring in Kevin Long from Burnley and Matty James from Leicester.

Radlinger

Williams Halme Long Oduor

James

Bahre Dougall

Thomas

Chaplin Brown

SBRed48
31-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Dog no do roans Ponte.

Ponte_Steve24
31-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Dog no do roans Ponte.

I know but with those two and a bit of a jig about we'd get away with losing Mowatt and Woodrow.

animallittle3
31-12-2019, 12:45 PM
I know but with those two and a bit of a jig about we'd get away with losing Mowatt and Woodrow.

Matty James is injured , Kevin Long is a permanent fixture on Burnley's bench .

Both would significantly demand more than 10k a week which would appear to be our threshold .

As SB says we don't do loans .

Losing Woodrow and Mowatt would kill us , don't get me wrong both are decent championship players not world beaters but we haven't a cart load of championship ready players never mind losing two and the realistic replacements won't be ready for this level , they never are .

It's January not July , there is no bedding in period , that ships sailed .

Ponte_Steve24
31-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Matty James is injured , Kevin Long is a permanent fixture on Burnley's bench .

Both would significantly demand more than 10k a week which would appear to be our threshold .

As SB says we don't do loans .

Losing Woodrow and Mowatt would kill us , don't get me wrong both are decent championship players not world beaters but we haven't a cart load of championship ready players never mind losing two and the realistic replacements won't be ready for this level , they never are .

It's January not July , there is no bedding in period , that ships sailed .

I don't think we'd miss Woodrow that much being played where he is at the minute and could easily be replaced by Bahre in his current role.

Mowatt is our best midfielder but has games where he isn't at the races and could be replaced by Dougall, Styles or Mcgeehan. I don't think with the correct application the squad is that bad. This is being proved by Chaplin in particular.

A relative non-starter under Stendel as were Halme and Oduor. Where are Pinillos, Cavare, Thiam and Wilks right now? They started the season.

I think more of our problems laid tactically under Stendel.

Romared
31-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Matty James was in Leicesters matchday squad this week , not sure he was on the bench or even played tho , it was mentioned in the commentary that he was almost fully fit , i can't see us going in for him just now ,

animallittle3
31-12-2019, 03:10 PM
I don't think we'd miss Woodrow that much being played where he is at the minute and could easily be replaced by Bahre in his current role.

Mowatt is our best midfielder but has games where he isn't at the races and could be replaced by Dougall, Styles or Mcgeehan. I don't think with the correct application the squad is that bad. This is being proved by Chaplin in particular.

A relative non-starter under Stendel as were Halme and Oduor. Where are Pinillos, Cavare, Thiam and Wilks right now? They started the season.

I think more of our problems laid tactically under Stendel.

Aye because getting 12 inexperienced kids with no championship experience what so ever and knocking them in to shape inside a month is a piece of pyss innit .

Tha meks me laugh steve , always the HC innit with yourself never the reasons why they are failing .

Struber's walked in and taken bits and bobs from Stendel and Murray plus 50% of his own philosophy .

Give him 12 kids to knock in to shape in August and he'd struggle his tyts off too , guarantee it .

Happy New Year .

Romared
31-12-2019, 03:33 PM
It's plainly obvious to most on here , Stendel/Murray/ Struber aren't bad Coaches , some strange decisions selection wise at times from Daniel , particularly just before he left , he'd probably got fed up of it all by then ?
Anyway good luck to Gerhard and the Boy's , a New Years Dawning soon , so let's enjoy it ;D
All the very Best , Salute , HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all

animallittle3
31-12-2019, 03:40 PM
It's plainly obvious to most on here , Stendel/Murray/ Struber aren't bad Coaches , some strange decisions selection wise at times from Daniel , particularly just before he left , he'd probably got fed up of it all by then ?
Anyway good luck to Gerhard and the Boy's , a New Years Dawning soon , so let's enjoy it ;D
All the very Best , Salute , HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all

Did Daniel manage the process well at the start of the season ? , no he didn't , we were far too open .

The thing what everyone forgets is that Daniel got the gig because the owners wanted to see us play the high press attacking style , it's on the record via Conway .

Daniel did what he was hired to do and its possible he was a one trick pony .

No fecking wonder his head was baked , couldn't do reight for doing wrong .

Romared
31-12-2019, 03:53 PM
It's this daft policy the board have that bakes my head , It can't continue like this or can it ? Something has to give , or we will be back to having a New H C every 12 months again , Flexibility, plus some signs of us wanting to progress would be a start ,
Things are fairly positive on Grove Street just now , an ideal opportunity to get back on the right side of the fans ?

animallittle3
31-12-2019, 04:00 PM
It's this daft policy the board have that bakes my head , It can't continue like this or can it ? Something has to give , or we will be back to having a New H C every 12 months again , Flexibility, plus some signs of us wanting to progress would be a start ,
Things are fairly positive on Grove Street just now , an ideal opportunity to get back on the right side of the fans ?

Well there's definitely the opportunity to build some bridges , a sniff of staying up and a transfer window about to open .

I'll accept mistakes have been made , things not handled well , communication with fans poor if they come out and admit their failings and put things right .

I'll not hold my breath though .

SBRed48
31-12-2019, 05:35 PM
This January could be the most successful transfer window in Barnsley FC history.

Being in the relegation zone is just a blip. We will laugh at where we were in December when May comes along and we laik Brentford away.

Happy New Year to all on here and to Dog, Hoss, Spud, young James, Mr Bean, the lovely Grace and the Indian fella.

Ponte_Steve24
31-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Aye because getting 12 inexperienced kids with no championship experience what so ever and knocking them in to shape inside a month is a piece of pyss innit .

Tha meks me laugh steve , always the HC innit with yourself never the reasons why they are failing .

Struber's walked in and taken bits and bobs from Stendel and Murray plus 50% of his own philosophy .

Give him 12 kids to knock in to shape in August and he'd struggle his tyts off too , guarantee it .

Happy New Year .

I think the application was poor before Stendel was sacked. Anyway happy new year to you Jay-lo and your new arrival mate.

Jules88
01-01-2020, 03:07 AM
Did Daniel manage the process well at the start of the season ? , no he didn't , we were far too open .

The thing what everyone forgets is that Daniel got the gig because the owners wanted to see us play the high press attacking style , it's on the record via Conway .

Daniel did what he was hired to do and its possible he was a one trick pony .

No fecking wonder his head was baked , couldn't do reight for doing wrong .

He did what he was hired to do.....In League one.
He was hired to do a job....... League one.
He did it.
It’s the Policy..... Get a coach every year to do a Job for a year .....
Come here...Get us up with the policy....... Then. “oooooooh errr Mrs.”
Should have sacked him the minute we got Promoted. Lucky Lucky man.........
Let’s not bother with 10 games in future ....

Stendel got us promoted because he had the best players in the League who played as a team combined..... five fowk,from this forum could have got us up last season
NOT because he was the best manager/coach.......
Ffs, the top club had a stand in manager for half the season and STILL beat us, and 33k Mackems.

We went up Lucky...... we will ( Maybe ) stay up Lucky.

Morais would have Managed that lot to the Title....

SBRed48
01-01-2020, 09:56 AM
He did what he was hired to do.....In League one.
He was hired to do a job....... League one.
He did it.
It’s the Policy..... Get a coach every year to do a Job for a year .....
Come here...Get us up with the policy....... Then. “oooooooh errr Mrs.”
Should have sacked him the minute we got Promoted. Lucky Lucky man.........
Let’s not bother with 10 games in future ....

Stendel got us promoted because he had the best players in the League who played as a team combined..... five fowk,from this forum could have got us up last season
NOT because he was the best manager/coach.......
Ffs, the top club had a stand in manager for half the season and STILL beat us, and 33k Mackems.

We went up Lucky...... we will ( Maybe ) stay up Lucky.

Morais would have Managed that lot to the Title....

Thaz gone a ****y weeny bit too far wi that last sentence Jules. XD XD XD

Why ezzit blocked te en ? as in te enager.

animallittle3
01-01-2020, 01:02 PM
It went tyts up for Stendel as soon as Pinnock , Lindsay and Davies left the club , these three to us were our Liverpool's Alisson , Van Dijk and Joe Matip .

I've said before on here that the high press expansive style only works with a rock solid defence that allows you to play a risky style of football .

The summer showed the huge flaws within the club with regards to syncing recruitment to suit the style of play the club themselves identified as a style of play they wished to see .

Stendel was the coach chosen to play the style its pretty obvious you need to recruit to make that style work .

There are two different entities working within the club where they should only be one , one where everyone involved comes together to achieve the same goals .

What you had with Stendel was one working against the other with the consequences laid bare for 4 months .

It's one thing to identify individual talent but it's quite another to create a competitive team , this isn't baseball .

Stendel saw it only too well and spoke out .

Until this club brings the HC and recruitment team together as one entity and working within the parameters set then transfer windows are going to continue to be problematic .

SBRed48
01-01-2020, 05:30 PM
As in many areas of work life if things are going well the owners/Directors take the credit and reward themselves
, if things are going badly the people below the owners will be blamed and often sacked.
The average manager/coach tenure in the Championship is around one and a heyf years whereas examples of owners saying "You know what, we are to blame for this mess" are as rare as hen's teeth.

animallittle3
01-01-2020, 06:24 PM
As in many areas of work life if things are going well the owners/Directors take the credit and reward themselves
, if things are going badly the people below the owners will be blamed and often sacked.
The average manager/coach tenure in the Championship is around one and a heyf years whereas examples of owners saying "You know what, we are to blame for this mess" are as rare as hen's teeth.

The damage was done in the summer and almost to a man everyone on here could see it .

Which isn't to say we are all a fountain of football knowledge is just that errrrrr we did exactly the same thing in 2017/18 and got relegated .

Making the same mistakes and expecting a different result is and always will be the definition of madness .

Except of course if you value the individual talent rather more than the league position and all roads do lead to that conclusion .

Jules88
02-01-2020, 12:06 AM
Thaz gone a ****y weeny bit too far wi that last sentence Jules. XD XD XD

Why ezzit blocked te en ? as in te enager.

An I was the driver last neet! Cant even blame the booze!

Wardy
02-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Unless you are fighting relegation or in with a realistic chance of promotion clubs should take the FACup seriously.
Any club who is safe from relegation in the Prem league owe it to its supporters to go for a Cup run. Either that, or football needs to have a serious think about the competition. Countries from all over the world seem'more smitten with the idea of the FA Cup than we do ourselves.

Exiletyke
02-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Footbal at Prem & Championship level mostly worship at the shrine of humans basic insinct & that's greed
It won't change

Romared
02-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Crewe are flying reyt nar , not confident if we don't play our strongest 11 , even then it may not be enough ? Some good talent in the Crewe side , always produce good player's , Great Academy Set up too ,

pass_and_move
02-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Crewe are flying reyt nar , not confident if we don't play our strongest 11 , even then it may not be enough ? Some good talent in the Crewe side , always produce good player's , Great Academy Set up too ,

Thull not be a player ovva 25 on pitch fo that game