PDA

View Full Version : Our injuries.....

TSANHO
08-02-2020, 09:07 PM
With our injuries being a cause for concern throughout this season, and with no sign of them letting up, it got me wondering if we have just been unlucky or have we got a problem behind the scenes....with our training regime for example?

With the squad being signed after the start of the season are the players we managed to sign ones that weren't touched prior by other clubs due to their poor injury proneness...it could explain how we managed to attract decent players for this level.

navypie
08-02-2020, 09:18 PM
I would imagine other clubs have their injuries problems as well, there is no reason why the squad we have shouldn't cope.

Notts78
08-02-2020, 10:54 PM
With our injuries being a cause for concern throughout this season, and with no sign of them letting up, it got me wondering if we have just been unlucky or have we got a problem behind the scenes....with our training regime for example?

With the squad being signed after the start of the season are the players we managed to sign ones that weren't touched prior by other clubs due to their poor injury proneness...it could explain how we managed to attract decent players for this level.

We have been unlucky. How often do players break an arm playing football, or have a thigh sliced open? Players pull muscles at all levels of football, players playing on perfect pitches with perfect training facilities are just as susceptible to injury. It’s one of those things. Training/coaching is always a risk as players train and develop in a very competitive training environment. There is not a manager who would tell a player to take it easy. Players will be ran ragged. Players will fly in to tackles. It’s one of those things.

Chicken Balti Pie
08-02-2020, 11:17 PM
I suspect our preseason didn't help. The vast majority of the squad wasn't really here all preseason so injuries come in. Hopefully next season when we have a settled squad, we'll see the difference

Elite_Pie
08-02-2020, 11:37 PM
I suspect our preseason didn't help. The vast majority of the squad wasn't really here all preseason so injuries come in.

Why would injuries come in at this time because of pre-season? As Notts78 said they are part and parcel of the game, always have been and always will be. It just takes a poor tackle or an awkward fall, I'm sure it's nothing more than bad luck.

Freeman25
09-02-2020, 01:57 AM
Bad luck, other teams will be dealing with them too and poor scheduling would be three points I'd make but a lot of the players coming in after pre season probably didn't help much either, you're effectively building up your fitness to get you through the year and if you get it wrong it can all go pear shaped. See Nolan last season and Mourinho in his last year at Chelsea for two obvious examples

kill_the_drum
09-02-2020, 04:03 AM
Have our injuries been that bad? We’ve probably been unlucky with the JoB injuries.
As others have said it’s just a part of the game!

magpie_mania
09-02-2020, 07:39 AM
Have our injuries been that bad? We’ve probably been unlucky with the JoB injuries.
As others have said it’s just a part of the game!

I don't think so. Defenders maybe, but midfield (apart from O'Brien which haven't been to do with being unfit) and attackers haven't missed many games due to injury.

LaxtonLad
09-02-2020, 07:46 AM
...are the players we managed to sign ones that weren't touched prior by other clubs due to their poor injury proneness...it could explain how we managed to attract decent players for this level.
JAQing off, and a conclusion achieved by a presumption.

Chicken Balti Pie
09-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Why would injuries come in at this time because of pre-season? As Notts78 said they are part and parcel of the game, always have been and always will be. It just takes a poor tackle or an awkward fall, I'm sure it's nothing more than bad luck.

Because the games have becoming thick and fast. Your body breaks down after a while, that's why preseason is so important. It can go one of two ways, last year, the team gave up after 60-70 minutes and we lost matches, because of the reportedly poor preseason under Nolan. This year, we play until the end so the players pick up injuries. Saying that, we've had freak injuries to the likes of O'Brien but I suspect had we had a proper preseason where the squad was together more than two days before the start of the season, we'd have less.

Last year was Nolan's fault, this year, it's no one's fault really.

Elite_Pie
09-02-2020, 08:50 AM
Because the games have becoming thick and fast. Your body breaks down after a while, that's why preseason is so important.

That makes no sense to me. The games were coming thick and fast in the first three months, but not in the last three. If your body breaks down after a while, then other teams should be getting their injuries next month!

queenslandpie
09-02-2020, 09:29 AM
That makes no sense to me. The games were coming thick and fast in the first three months, but not in the last three. If your body breaks down after a while, then other teams should be getting their injuries next month!

"After a while". "No pre season"

Look at the players who are injured and tell me how much of a pre season they had in the traditional sense. Probably not a bad comment by old mate to be honest. The level of injuries is a concern but given our strength and conditioning coach has a beer gut......................

Notts78
09-02-2020, 12:04 PM
Which injuries are people suggesting are down to a lack of a pre season?
Booty has a back injury... surely nothing to do with no pre season.
Ben Turner is having muscle injuries, however, if people remember he didn’t start for a few weeks after he signed, doing extra training to get him up to speed.
Shields has been injured and the assumption is that he trained with his parent club.
JoB had 2 freak injuries that had absolutely nothing to do with a lack of pre season.
Personally I think some are looking for something that simply isn’t there. In the past people have moaned that injuries were caused by training at Basford, yet a number of teams in the National League play and train in similar facilities to those at Basford.

kill_the_drum
09-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Im not sure where this is coming from. We have 3-4 players out which I would say is average.
If we’re trying to look for fault or reasons just look at Man City. They’ve had much bigger injury problems and will undoubtedly have the best facilities and physios that money can buy, and they had a preseason!
As I previously said, it’s just part of the game and I don’t see what the issue is?

laddo
09-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Why are people looking for excuses in the first place. We've lost once in the last dozen games in all comps (which i prematurely announced 3 games ago aka I predicted the future ;)

We've got injuries , we've had and have suspensions and we've lost 1 game in 12.

Chicken Balti Pie
10-02-2020, 10:52 AM

It's like a petrol tank, at the start of the season, you have a fullish tank, you can push more but after a while the tank drains and pushing makes you break down. And yes, other teams will get it soon enough, especially as they won't have the resources we have.

I suspect this is what is happening to Barrow currently with their blip and if we can capitalise, we are in contention.

The years we haven't struggled with injuries is when we've come off a great preseason and very good strength and conditioning coaches. As I've said before, last year was Nolan's fault for the poor pre season, this year, no one currently at the club can be blamed

TSANHO
10-02-2020, 11:40 AM
I've read the replies on this thread but I do feel my OP could still hold some truth. Of course, all clubs will have injuries but the injuries we have sustained have resulted in far longer layoffs than what is usual.

Slocombe
Turner
Mccrory
(That centre half we had from Sheffield It'd)
Shields
Tyson
O'Brien
Booty

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but that's a lot of serious injuries to deal with in one season. If that happened to Barrow then they'd hardly have a team to field!

Yes, we've been unfortunate, and we didn't have much preseason...but have the players that were left to sign partly only available due to their injury records? Are our medical team doing a good enough job?

It's not a witch hunt to bring some negativity....I'll blame all that on Rose....it's just some observations really. In honesty the club have done fantastic in gathering a squad with such depth that the injuries we are gathering are being able to be worked around.

On a side note, looking at Barrow having only 18 first teamers, are they now feeling the strain of the season or is it just a blip?

Oldstripy
10-02-2020, 11:56 AM
I maybe wrong but we seem to have more muscle injuries since the club moved to Holme Road, at the time Ardley said they had moved from hard pitches to soft pitches which puts more strain on the players legs.

I think Fword moved to Wilford for better facilities and because Holme Road has a tendency to flood.

jacobncfc
10-02-2020, 12:13 PM

The point of pre-season is that physios and fitness people specifically design it to get players to a place where their bodies can cope with the next nine months. I doubt it’s the only reason, but it won’t have helped.

Although I’m not sure we’re that badly off really. The O’Brien injuries were bad but both just completely freak incidents, and it sounds like Booty’s is also a bit of a weird one that you can’t do a lot about. Otherwise we’ve got two or three muscle injuries, which is pretty par for any team at the minute I imagine.

worriedpie
10-02-2020, 01:51 PM
The point of pre-season is that physios and fitness people specifically design it to get players to a place where their bodies can cope with the next nine months. I doubt it’s the only reason, but it won’t have helped.

Although I’m not sure we’re that badly off really. The O’Brien injuries were bad but both just completely freak incidents, and it sounds like Booty’s is also a bit of a weird one that you can’t do a lot about. Otherwise we’ve got two or three muscle injuries, which is pretty par for any team at the minute I imagine.

Tyson has spent most of his career injured, so it's little surprise he's been injured.

jacobncfc
10-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Tyson has spent most of his career injured, so it's little surprise he's been injured.

Has he even been injured? Might have had a knock at some point early in the season, but he’s largely just been out of favour I think.

Bridg4d_Pie_
10-02-2020, 03:25 PM
I maybe wrong but we seem to have more muscle injuries since the club moved to Holtme Road, at the time Ardley said they had moved from hard pitches to soft pitches which puts more strain on the players legs.

I think Fword moved to Wilford for better facilities and because Holme Road has a tendency to flood.

I think the Red Dogs moved to their Wilford Lane H.Q. because Nigel Doughty had a lot of money & he could afford to build those facilities at the time. FACT

kill_the_drum
10-02-2020, 04:36 PM
The years we haven't struggled with injuries is when we've come off a great preseason and very good strength and conditioning coaches. As I've said before, last year was Nolan's fault for the poor pre season, this year, no one currently at the club can be blamed

Not doubting you but what years were they?
And how do you define a great preseason from the view point of a fan?

DelroyFacey22
10-02-2020, 05:01 PM
The level of injuries is a concern but given our strength and conditioning coach has a beer gut......................

Sir Alex Ferguson was an old bloke when he was winning titles with Man United, good job his physical condition had no relevance to what he got his players doing.

and very good strength and conditioning coaches.

Who were they? The last one we had with any notoriety I'd say was Marcus Svensson, who left us for Arsenal and was very highly regarded. Everyone else other than Mike Edwards have just been qualified people without anything special to say about them but had Edwards not played for us he'd be no different to any of the other coaches we've had that we don't know much about, including the guy we have now.

laddo
10-02-2020, 05:03 PM

I would suggest a great preseason is the opposite of the last two pre seasons.

The way we started the following season after the playoff defeat was shocking. Didn't look fit nor organised.

This terms preseason, well we all know it was a complete s&#tshow

Chicken Balti Pie
10-02-2020, 05:05 PM

From memory, the Munto season. We didn't have many injuries at all that year if I remember correctly. What I mean from a great preseason isn't results but a decent amount of games against a decent level of teams. Just recently we've played a lot of very local teams one representative game and then a "showcase" game that is pointless. Ironically this year I thought we have the balance spot on but most of the squad we have now wasn't part of it

magpie_mania
11-02-2020, 12:06 AM
Sir Alex Ferguson was an old bloke when he was winning titles with Man United, good job his physical condition had no relevance to what he got his players doing.

Who were they? The last one we had with any notoriety I'd say was Marcus Svensson, who left us for Arsenal and was very highly regarded. Everyone else other than Mike Edwards have just been qualified people without anything special to say about them but had Edwards not played for us he'd be no different to any of the other coaches we've had that we don't know much about, including the guy we have now.

The last two preseasons we haven't looked fit, coincidence that Edwards left before them?