PDA

View Full Version : The best young keeper I've ever seen' say's Lincoln united Chairman

Oldstripy
12-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Notts County's young goalkeeper Tiernan Brooks is winning rave reviews at Lincoln United and has been described as a "star in the making".

Brooks is currently on work experience at Ashby Avenue for the rest of the season and the ****ager has produced a series of stunning displays.

And according to White chairman Rob Bradley, the 17-year-old, who is yet to make his senior bow for Notts, is destined for a bright future.

He said: "I think there’ll be a few Lincoln United people boring anyone who’ll listen in a year or two about how we knew someone when they were young who has gone on to be much better known in football.

"You know what I mean - the old bloke in the corner of the pub who knew an England striker when he did a paper round and played football with all the older kids. We’ll be like that chap.

"Tiernan Brooks is with us at the moment on work experience from parent club Notts County. He’s 17 and we’ve got him for the rest of the season.

"This young man has received a series of accolades from team-mates, opponents, and frankly anyone who’s seen him.

best young keeper I’ve ever seen is one and even ‘the best goalkeeper to have played for the Whites’ has been heard from some long-term Ashby Avenue faithful.

"You never know what might happen in a player’s career but you could do worse than put the name Tiernan Brooks in the memory bank.

"County have got a star in the making and he could well be a regular at Meadow Lane and then bigger clubs in the future. We certainly hope so."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/the-best-young-keeper-ive-3840917

pjace
12-02-2020, 06:29 PM
Saw him a few times last season in the reserves and was impressed

Elite_Pie
12-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Must admit I hadn't even heard of him, but that sounds very encouraging. I can't remember the last time we had a goalkeeper who came up from the youth ranks. Fabien Spiess played a few games before sinking into lower non-league, am I missing anyone?

SwalePie
12-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Must admit I hadn't even heard of him, but that sounds very encouraging. I can't remember the last time we had a goalkeeper who came up from the youth ranks. Fabien Spiess played a few games before sinking into lower non-league, am I missing anyone?

James Walker maybe? Went on to have a decent pro career after being a trainee at Notts I think?

MAD_MAGPIE
12-02-2020, 07:55 PM

Wasn’t Saul Deeney another one who came up through the ranks and played professionally for us? He then went onto play for Burton Albion and then went onto play a handful of times for Derby.

51Magpie
12-02-2020, 09:41 PM
"...he could well be a regular at Meadow Lane and then bigger clubs in the future."

There are bigger clubs?

DaveSmithRules
12-02-2020, 10:30 PM
Great to hear. Any idea how tall he is?

Although we tend to think keepers need to be in their mid-twenties before they breakthrough, it's not always the case. I watch AC Milan regularly and Donnarumma has been their no 1 since he was 16. He's 20 now, got over 150 Seria A appearances under his belt and is a regular for Italy.

Not that I should compare our youth keeper (who I've only just heard of) to Italy's finest, but it does prove that if they're good enough they're old enough.

sidders
13-02-2020, 11:16 AM
The ultimate success rate for kids who are stars at 17 must be 1 in 20 or greater.
One lad I taught - a keeper - was signed up by Man U and made a great start with them. At age 21 he was called into Fergie's office and told that the club was disappointed with the fact that his height was only six feet and would therefore be letting him go. Now earns his living as a personal trainer in Manchester. To be fair, the club did help him get the training and qualifications to achieve this position.

OP67
13-02-2020, 11:50 AM
‘the best goalkeeper to have played for the Whites’

So the best keeper to have played for Lincoln United so lets not get ahead of ourselves eh! What league are they in?

PedroTheFisherman66
13-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Quick , Sell Him !!!!!
(he will never get a game for us with NA here )......

DelroyFacey22
14-02-2020, 09:01 AM
Where's our resident youth team expert that tells us half the players we've had in our youth team over the last decade would have been premiership players if we'd played them more? I can't remember his name but everyone will know who I'm on about, the broken record that seemed to hate everything about the club but (like durham) seems to have gone a bit quiet while there's not much to complain about?

navypie
14-02-2020, 09:13 AM
‘the best goalkeeper to have played for the Whites’

So the best keeper to have played for Lincoln United so lets not get ahead of ourselves eh! What league are they in?

The previous best keeper he'd seen is now playing for the Dog & Duck.

Elite_Pie
14-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Where's our resident youth team expert that tells us half the players we've had in our youth team over the last decade would have been premiership players if we'd played them more? I can't remember his name but everyone will know who I'm on about, the broken record that seemed to hate everything about the club but (like durham) seems to have gone a bit quiet while there's not much to complain about?

His name is McCullochisGod. Once Trew and Hardy were gone, so was his reason for posting.

navypie
14-02-2020, 10:14 AM
His name is McCullochisGod. Once Trew and Hardy were gone, so was his reason for posting.

I thought his name was Mick Leonard.

magpie_mania
14-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Funny that - told me lots of times that he didn't have any agenda. Seems that it was business finished when Hardy went.