PDA

View Full Version : Frozen shoulder?

mickd1961
23-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Has anybody out there had this god awful affliction or know anything about it.

If I forget and move my right arm outwards too high or too fast or try to swat a fly with a towel the pain is excruciating to the point of almost bringing me to tears.

When it strikes it’s about the most pain I’ve ever known.

Had it for 7-8 weeks but it’s getting no better by itself.

Barrera
23-02-2020, 05:33 PM
My wife had it - pretty awful pain by all accounts. She had to have an operation - pretty routine - completely cured it.

phild
23-02-2020, 05:35 PM
My sympathies mate. Not had it myself but just looked it up, as Ive often heard the term but wasn't aware of what it entails. The pain and stiffness can last anything up to 3 years, 3 years tho, good god - I thought my bout of sciatica was bad enough but that only lasted 3 months.

9goals2hattricks3pen
23-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Had a convesation about this on Friday night.

I did mine playing cricket about 15 years ago. A 15 year old was carting my bowling all over the place so I got mad and employed my effort ball. Haven't bowled a quick ball since, can't fully swing a golf club and can't serve overarm. Hurt a lot to start with now just a bit of a dull ache especially if I do a lot of DIY.

I actually suspect some of mine is now mental rather than physical. Don't want to do anything that might wreck me shoulder at my age.

mickd1961
23-02-2020, 06:43 PM
I’m not ashamed to say I was within 1% of actually crying at one point this afternoon.

I can lift my grandson and shopping bags etc but any movements of the arm outwards and upwards quickly creates more pain Shan I’ve ever known.

9goals2hattricks3pen
23-02-2020, 07:11 PM
I’m not ashamed to say I was within 1% of actually crying at one point this afternoon.

I can lift my grandson and shopping bags etc but any movements of the arm outwards and upwards quickly creates more pain Shan I’ve ever known.

Crikey Mick never got to that stage not because I'm tough but mine never hurt like that. There must be frozen shoulders and frozen shoulders and you've got a proper frozen shoulder. Ouch!

Do you know the cause?

Leicesterbaggie
23-02-2020, 07:14 PM
My father suffered with a frozen shoulder and what he did was to erect a pulley on the landing and stood in the hall. He gradually raised his arm a little more every time he used it. He did it regularly every day. It did actually work although it took quite a while.

goodlordmurphy
23-02-2020, 07:16 PM
I used to get that, brought on by either playing cricket or work (I was a builder) plastering was the main offender big sweeping action with a loaded hand hawk.

Fortunately my doctor was in the cricket team and told me to use 'Brufen', not ibobrufen just straight forward Brufen. Worked for me.

SwedishBaggie
23-02-2020, 07:21 PM
I’ve had it, in my left and my right shoulder.

Three phases: pain/frozen-immobile/recovery.

A middle age thing apparenty, few really young and old get it.

Normally takes 12-36 months to fully recover.

I went to see a physiotherapist, who gave me special exercises to do. He also gave me cortison injections. My first, the left, healed in about 12 months, maybe a bit less. With the right I was really fortunate, it ”skipped” the frozen phase, and healed in about 5-6 months. A very well aimed cortison injection (and a new type too) did the trick.

So my advice would be to see a good physiotherapist, and also to get cortison injections in the shoulder (the trick is to hit the right spot apparently).

It’s really a pain in the arse.

Albie blue
23-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Had it for 20 years now Mick it's a ****. Had steroid injections to begin with, which worked initially but faded with time. They will not give me any more and insist on physio. I know people who get over it so good luck, with me it's down to cricket bowled to many overs can't even throw a stick for the dog. Hopefully should be just short term. Get well soon, cheers Albie.

mickd1961
23-02-2020, 08:17 PM
Crikey Mick never got to that stage not because I'm tough but mine never hurt like that. There must be frozen shoulders and frozen shoulders and you've got a proper frozen shoulder. Ouch!

Do you know the cause?

Thanks for the advice lads.

No idea what’s caused it really as I’ve never done physical work and never played much cricket once I’d started work.

My son read up on it and it seems running can be a cause because of the constant pumping action of the arms.

I’ve noticed that in general,as I’m closing in on 59 I’m getting more muscle stiffness and spasms.

I’m aware of MS and Motor Neurone as I’ve had three people who I know who’ve died from MNE in the last decade,I know the symptoms and I’m not suffering any of the other markers.

I know Polymyalgia and Fibromyalgia can cause this sort of thing.

It’s the randomness of the pain though,all is fine for hours and then one wrong move at too higher speed and it feels like you’ve been knifed!

Prando
24-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Plagued with it at present mickd buddy ! Been with me for 6 weeks or so.
Gradual improvement inasmuch as I can lie on it at night now.
I had a bad dose many years ago, which improved following the application of a Chinese ‘kick-boxing’ rub. (Given to me by a pal)
It gives a warming sensation and smells like a strong Ellimans rub.
Good luck.